Jump to content
The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Didn't you once mention a family cabin outside Gunnison?  It made me think Tincup in the spring might be nice if I had a place near there to shelter in place.

Tincup is where our cabin is.  Most of my childhood friends up there were from Fort Worth.  But Gunnison County is closed.  (My sister wants to know if they intend to refund our property taxes.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well I say "54' 40 or fight!!!.................................................................................. Oh that's right.  We didn't end up getting everything we wanted in that, did we? It would have been nice having most of British Colombia, but I suppose Texas was more accessible.
 
There's a lot of D. Queening going on about the lock down. (and I don't mean Dairy) Nobody wants to shut down forever. But there's so much false equivalency. It's really just another instance  of Wall Street trying to co opt Main Street just as they've co opted in part the assorted conspiracy movements. Wall Street just doesn't think their government should dole out another $1200 check.
 
Not that anybody's listening.
But I say Wall Street's already had their bailout. When things begin to normalize, do you really think, we'll be without an airline industry? A hotel or hospitality industry? The cruise industry going to take awhile, but when it does, we're going to assume nobody sees an opportunity and steps forward? As always, We're really mostly  bailing out big investors and speculators. Of course bailing them out would have been the Republicans only order of business if they controlled both houses. There would  be some agreement between the R's and D's,about small business, which I think they're should be and the Democrats wouldn't have had a leg to stand on for the little guy.
 
Unfortunately now we have no choice but to embrace Dick Cheney's words that "deficits don't matter".  But of course,as deficits skyrocket, to those who might be eyeing it in the future. It is entitlements such a Social Security that are the first on the chopping block. 
Edited by Kirk Gallaway
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Yeah, well I say "54' 40 or fight!!!.................................................................................. Oh that's right.  We didn't end up getting everything we wanted in that, did we? It would have been nice having most of British Colombia, but I suppose Texas was more accessible.
 
There's a lot of D. Queening going on about the lock down. (and I don't mean Dairy) Nobody wants to shut down forever. But there's so much false equivalency. It's really just another instance  of Wall Street trying to co opt Main Street just as they've co opted in part the assorted conspiracy movements. Wall Street just doesn't think their government should dole out another $1200 check.
 
Not that anybody's listening.
But I say Wall Street's already had their bailout. When things begin to normalize, do you really think, we'll be without an airline industry? A hotel or hospitality industry? The cruise industry going to take awhile, but when it does, we're going to assume nobody sees an opportunity and steps forward? As always, We're really mostly  bailing out big investors and speculators. Of course bailing them out would have been the Republicans only order of business if they controlled both houses. There would  be some agreement between the R's and D's,about small business, which I think they're should be and the Democrats wouldn't have had a leg to stand on for the little guy.
 
Unfortunately now we have no choice but to embrace Dick Cheney's words that "deficits don't matter".  But of course,as deficits skyrocket, to those who might be ey eing it in the future. It is entitlements such a Social Security that are the first on the chopping block. 

Matt Taibbi published a disturbing op-ed about this at Rolling Stone recently.

The scale of the 2020 Trump Stock Bubble bailout is enormous.   And who is going to pay for all of this asset inflation?

Bailing Out the Bailout

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/coronavirus-fed-bank-bailout-disaster-976086/

 

 

Edited by W. Niederhut
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Okay David, post deleted.

 

 

I meant my previous post, which I have since removed and reposted on the right thread.  Jeepers, don't be so sensitive.

Edited by David Andrews
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David Andrews said:

I meant my previous post, which I have since removed and reposted on the right thread.  Jeepers, don't be so sensitive.

Overly sensitive? No, not at all.

I've often deleted postings after reading them over and deciding they would be better placed somewhere else. Parts of postings as well.

Didn't have one feeling of offense or defense deleting my post here.

I am usually not that concerned with other's critical comments on my postings. Yet, sometimes they are valid and I may even change some of my points in considering them.

I just like and appreciate the opportunity to keep reading the forum and to interject now and then.

Thanks, JB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Overly sensitive? No, not at all.

I've often deleted postings after reading them over and deciding they would be better placed somewhere else. Parts of postings as well.

Didn't have one feeling of offense or defense deleting my post here.

I am usually not that concerned with other's critical comments on my postings. Yet, sometimes they are valid and I may even change some of my points in considering them.

I just like and appreciate the opportunity to keep reading the forum and to interject now and then.

Thanks, JB.

But I wasn't talking about your post.  I meant mine.  I was telling the mods to delete my post.

Edited by David Andrews
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, David Andrews said:

But I wasn't talking about your post.  I meant mine.  I was telling the mods to delete my post.

I know this David.

I had considered moving or deleting my post on my own and before I even read yours.

I have a habit sometimes of going off topic with my posting comments. 

I've deleted more postings of mine than you would know because of this, but I do catch most of them on my own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 7:58 AM, W. Niederhut said:

The Denver Post just published a map of documented COVID-19 cases in Denver's neighborhoods.

My neighborhood, Washington Park, is the WORST!  (I live one block away from the park.)

My wife and I have been wearing masks on our daily walks in the park for the past week or so, but I have noticed that many pedestrians and most bicyclists out there are still not wearing masks -- especially the young people-- and the park has been unusually crowded since the local schools were closed.

We may have to start strolling on the side streets-- but even those are crowded now.

I tried wearing my mask while skating (Rollerblading) my daily 5 miles out there, but my sunglasses get fogged over quickly.  No can do.

I suppose it's easy for me because I don't live in a huge basin metropolitan area like L.A. or at the end of a Peninsula like San Francisco though my sister does with her husband, or NYC? I can't imagine!
 
To address you specifically William. It doesn't matter to me if cell phone coverage shows I'm not in the top 70& compliance. I'm in the West, and although some parks are closed, it is understood that people just have to recreate somehow. I drive along the coast, I don't see cops stopping lovers on the beach and asking them if they're married. I don't see cops arbitrarily stopping cars on the freeway and asking where they're going. In reference to what Ron says. You've heard the Gunnison area is closed , but do you know if it's really being sealed off and patrolled?
More than every other day I can drive to hiking trails  within 10 miles that have few other hikers. We do pass each much closer than 6 feet with respect. One time, I feared on one trail I was lost , saw a guy having lunch with his family right on the trail, asked him and he show me the trail map on his cell phone. My general experience in going to store, getting gas, getting what I need is that people are just much nicer right now, though I can't say how long that would last. But people are mindful of each other and practicing safe distancing.. I can only imagine how stir crazy people can get in the giant metro areas of the East. They were designed solely with the idea of loading in cheap labor.
 
But I can tell you I took a couple of month trip through Latin America in January. I returned on March10th,  I thought I was going out of the frying pan into the fire! Really to what was ground zero for the virus at the time, which was Washington and California. But later I found if I left a week later, I would have had a problem getting out!
None of the countries have an infection  rate near the U.S. and they are all sweeping down with Draconian measures and outside of some barrios they are getting compliance. Even though during normal times, people aren't compliant with anything. The government can  get away with it now, because they have had previous histories of cracking down during political instability.
I do chat online with residents of numerous Latin American countries and often they are only allowed to go out for necessities 2 days a week. They can and and will be stopped if they're out and about, and  if they don't have their credentials with them they can be thrown in jail. These countries aren't messing around! Colombia has an infection rate 5 per 100k, Mexico's rate is 4 per 100k, and in the U.S. the rate is 170 per 100k. And some are are cracking down in way that just wouldn't be tolerated here. Very Draconian!      
Edited by Kirk Gallaway
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 7:27 PM, Ron Bulman said:

As I understand it as least some Bernie backers abstained from voting at all.

 

And look what they got. Which they deserved IMO.  <roll-eyes>

 

Edited by Sandy Larsen
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

There are many [coronavirus-infected folks] that they have not found out about because they are in nursing homes or they live alone.



Not to mention all those who are infected but have negligible or no symptoms at all. The invisible carriers. If those were added to the confirmed cases, I'll bet the numbers would at least triple.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CDC has just changed their website to count "probable" cases of Corona Virus. 

Archive From Yesterday: Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC

http://archive.is/ut7RG

Today: Data include confirmed, presumptive positive, and probable cases of COVID-19

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Archive: http://archive.is/qB6ZO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...