The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock market has gone up 5,000 points from a month and a half ago.

What was it then...18,750?  Today it's at 23,900?

That's so illogical in traditional real market dictating dynamics ( corporate profit, unemployment, consumer retail spending, consumer confidence, oil production, demand and price setting volatility, hugely falling housing sales and startups, hugely falling automobile sales, international markets and stresses, commodity stresses, hyper debt increases, trade stresses, manufacturing stresses...which are either in RECORD LOW TERRITORY...OR RECORD HIGH ...it's crazy!

I don't even want to read explanations that the market has risen this much because investors "think" these dynamics will improve with highly unknown risk state economy openings.

We are right next to 1929 depression era numbers in major areas of our economy.

Airlines, tourism, hospitality, gas and oil consumption, you name it.

Food production is stressed like we have never seen in our lifetimes due to the virus fears and cases and deaths.

Our jails and prisons are on the verge of virus chaos. Our rest homes too.

Our unemployment situation is the worst since the great depression!

20% today versus 25% during the depression!

Consensus medical expert predictions for the virus damage impact is that it's supposed to get WORSE and perhaps be around for another 2 years!

So, I cannot understand this amazing market increase except to assume it's all being propped up somehow by forces outside of traditional market factors.

To such a highly illogical degree it's crazy ... and suspicious.

What persons invested in the stock market are calling their brokers and frantically yelling into the phone " BUY! BUY! BUY!" ?

HA!

I have a very savvy and intelligent relative who told me he pulled all his market money out in early March and put it into bonds. He was relieved because he only lost 10% of his market money and got out at the right early time.

I asked him how the market could have gone up 5,000 points in a month and a half and he said he couldn't figure out how anyone in their right mind could be pumping money into the markets with all the information we have been inundated with about not just our own virus devastated national situation, but the entire world's.

Edited by Joe Bauer

4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

The plan involves taking out all of the small and medium sized businesses so that the large multi-national corporations (the bulk of the value in the public equity markets) do not have to compete. 

The 7 or 8 local hardware stores in my area are all closed but Home Depot is open. Consider the multi-year revenue boost my nearby Home Depot will get when the 7 or 8 Mom & Pops close down.

How about some Italian food for dinner? I hope you like the Olive Garden.

See how it works? In any industry, the large publicly traded companies will be the winners at the expense of all the small companies they compete against.

It you are a New World Order type, it's a great plan to tighten your grip on the great unwashed.

It's a lot easier control three or four large corporations than thousands of small and medium sized businesses. If you don't want people to own guns, then pressure Dick Sports not to sell them. You can do that because all the single proprietor gun stores went out of business during the great "Plandemic" of 2020.

By the way, folks, DON'T GO TO HOME DEPOT!  It's a death trap.  (At least the one closest to my house.)

I'm on DAY 4 after my Home Depot pit stop on Monday, and hoping I don't start coughing or spiking a fever.

As for Joe's post-- Joe, for a guy who never had a chance to go to college, you are one intelligent, perceptive guy.

The surge in the stock markets during the past month is truly baffling to me --and  even to Warren Buffet.   People, evidently, think that they bought the DIP, and that we're in for some sort of quick, V-shaped global economic recovery.  WTF?

This surge began with the corporate bailouts but doesn't seem to be based on any sound understanding of economic fundamentals-- earnings, consumer demand, employment, GDP, etc.

I'm still standing on the edge of what I think is an economic abyss-- holding cash, bonds, and some gold-- waiting to see where the bottom is.   And I'll be truly surprised if it happened in March. 

On the flip side, I thought the seven year Obama Bull Market was going to end in 2017, and I don't pretend to be a financial expert.

Trump has goosed the markets for the past three years, and will do anything he can to keep equity asset bubbles inflated until November.

In the case of chain restaurants, don't forget many are local franchises whose owners will take their losses apart from corporate losses, and can stand them far worse.

When we all get well again, lobby your congressmen to get servers paid a living wage.  Recovery may not be a blessing for them, with slow customer return, poor tips, etc.

Edited by David Andrews

A great part of the food growing, distribution and sales industry is the restaurant and institutional kitchen demand area.

With hundreds of thousands of restaurants closed all across the country or barely bringing in some income through take out ( and include tens of thousands of institutional kitchens such as colleges and large companies ) imagine the loss of revenue to food growers and distributors from this hammered area of demand alone.

Yes, grocery stores across the country have significant increased sales. But, again, this is "just one" major aspect of our economy that has been hit harder than anything we have seen in 70 years.

I just heard on MSNBC today that the unemployment rate in the hospitality industry is 51% !!! The construction industry 33%. Professional sector 13%

It was mentioned that the unemployment rate during the GW Bush recession never surpassed 10% during it's entire run!

I don't know how Trump's backers do it, but keeping the stock market artificially propped up in this crash of the economy in so many areas is a dark mystery imo.

IMO, the rise in the DJIA is due to the massive Fed injection of funds.

Pelosi and Schumer got taken to the cleaners on this again.  It took AOC to start screaming about it.

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

I don't know how Trump's backers do it, but keeping the stock market artificially propped up in this crash of the economy in so many areas is a dark mystery imo.

Who is buying the stocks?  The 1-5%?  They can afford to.  The prez is their sugar daddy.  Can they prop him up through November or will disgust prevail? 

Not just that Ron, but I don't want to hear anything else about this being like the flu--not only does it attack the lungs, but also the heart and the kidneys.  Again, was this manmade?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/doctors-flummoxed-by-long-term-organ-damage-in-covid-19-survivors

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 5/8/2020 at 11:30 PM, Ron Bulman said:

One more appalling example of the Trump administration ignoring vitally important, scientific expertise in order to promote their economic and political interests.

I'm not a lawyer, but this strikes me as a case of negligent (mass) homicide by the Trump administration-- deliberately ignoring the facts to send Americans to their deaths.

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

This is really good.  The people on the front lines are outraged.