The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

I've never wanted to live in Houston having been through it a few times, the size of it, crowdedness, traffic and especially the humidity combined with the heat suck.  Now this.  I feel sorry for them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/internal-messages-reveal-crisis-at-houston-hospitals-as-coronavirus-cases-surge/ar-BB16duiI?li=BBnb7Kz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably shouldn't admit I played beer pong a couple of times for a couple of rounds many years ago.  It became quickly evident that driving was quickly eliminated (though a friend didn't understand this and wound up in jail), and, a hangover was ensured.  I learned to refuse to participate in spite of being called things worse than a party pooper that start with a p.  I can't imagine a 'fest' or festival with elimination rounds I presume.  Winners not good for much of anything the next day?  Sounds like a great way to spread covid, close proximity, lots of loud talking, shouting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hundreds-of-teens-at-pong-fest-party-in-texas-were-exposed-to-coronavirus-officials-say/ar-BB16e34D?li=BBorjTa

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Your work on exposing JFK's role in pursuit of civil rights justice gives light to the fact that such is the total opposite of the statements and tweets of the current prez.

https://kennedysandking.com/component/k2/itemlist/filter?ftitle=Civil+Rights&fauthor[]=294&moduleId=338&Itemid=791

The chump's no JFK imho.  Maybe part of why He was eliminated?

Thanks Ron.  The point of that series was to show just what Kennedy faced on the issue when he entered office in 1961.

It was pretty much a century of indifference or, with people like Wilson, even worse.  To achieve what Kennedy did in just three years was really something.  If you read part 3, that reveals Kennedy's hidden record on the issue that people like Dallek  try to conceal.

But the thing is, Kennedy and his brother understood that the doing away of Jim Crow was not the end.  And that things in the north were going to explode also.  Bobby Kennedy actually said that to Schlesinger after the riot at Ole Miss.  He said, if you think  this is bad wait until you see what is going to happen in the north.  On cue,  you had Watts.

What I see this today as is a reaction to Daniel Patrick Moynihan's infamous memo to Nixon.  He recommended, if you recall, a policy of "benign neglect".   Which to me, is an oxymoron.  But if fit Nixon's Southern Strategy to perfection.  So that is what we got. The GOP adapted and exploited this issue.  No one was worse than Reagan.

When it finally exploded into full national view in  Minneapolis, it was like Vesuvius.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Ron:  I saw that story about Abbot now decreeing masks as mandatory.

I don't know wby he did that somersault. Its quite puzzling.  But as far as the effect goes, its like closing the barn doors after all the horses have escaped.

texas is in bad shape.

41 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ron:  I saw that story about Abbot now decreeing masks as mandatory.

I don't know why he did that somersault. Its quite puzzling.  But as far as the effect goes, its like closing the barn doors after all the horses have escaped.

Texas is in bad shape.

" it's like closing the doors after all the horses have escaped."

Ha!

Perfect analogy.

Stuck at home on the 4th of July.  No friends or family.  No parade or fireworks show.  Can't go to the beach.

I'm going to Willie's Picnic, virtually.  Almost 7 hours of entertainment, $35.  A few people I've never heard of,  some I've only heard a couple or three songs, one I've heard and didn't care for that one song.  Video's of the Peterson brothers on you tube feature some pretty good blues guitar.  Time to expand my horizons.  Plus some people i really do like.

https://www.williepicnic.com/

Here's Willie's son Micha/AKA the Particle Kid.

Laid out a couple of ribeye's for the grill.  I'll put a sixpack in the fridge.  Still have a couple of Colorado chocolates left over from last year, might get them out too.

Or I could go mingle with other customers at the fireworks stand  and shoot off a hundred bucks worth in 30 minutes for just me nd the wife. 

Cliff Love hearing Jello Biafra again! How fitting Trump comes up with his "American Taliban" speech last night! Culture wars it is then!!

I've reflected recently on why I am proud to be an American. A Trump guy said to me he likes pictures of July 4th fireworks on his I phone. To each his own, but that's not my thing!

Upon reflecting long, I realize  that  mine eyes have witnessed the genesis of the fusion of European  and  African cultures and the advent of electric sound meld together in my country and I,  among many helped to popularize it!

I'm old school and my idea of black music artistry is Jimi, Ray and Stevie, not necessarily in that order. But I figure I might highlight some of the other of our black brothers.

"But the things you do and say are designed to make me blue."
Though not one of his mega hits,  this is his song I enjoy most playing to. Man, this guy's got something!

When I first saw this guy on TV. It was before I first started buying records. Wow, he put the whole song and dance thing together.

A one hit wonder, the Showmen. Rock and roll will stand.

I went to see the TAMI show in a a matinee with a friend. James Brown and the Flames was the next to last act.  The last act was the Rolling Stones who hadn't quite reached their peak yet. Seeing the Stones was so anticlimactic after James Brown. James Brown was so outrageous! Keith Richard said that later, "We should never have followed James Brown".
I found this clip of James Brown dancing excerpts.

Real horror story:

Mr. Ducey this week activated crisis protocols that could permit overwhelmed hospitals to deny care to patients whose age or health history make them poor candidates for recovery. When Vice President Mike Pence visited Phoenix on Wednesday, Mr. Ducey asked him to send another 500 medical workers to the state to help hospital teams depleted by exhaustion and illness.

Ducey was another lemming for Trump.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Great post, Kirk.  I grew up in a pretty soulful neighborhood in northeast Denver, (I used to deliver newspapers on the block where future NBA star Chauncey Billups lived as a boy) and I've always loved James Brown.  I also found your comments about multi-cultural American "patriotism" refreshing.

Conversely, Trump is going full-bore fascist in 2020.   Creepy as hell.

No one could dance like the Godfather of Soul, with the possible exception of Michael Jackson.  And it's hard to beat Marvin Gaye's soulful vocals.

BUT, I have to post one of my all-time favorite American soul classics for the 4th of July -- Eddie Floyd's Knock On Wood. 

For me, this song is as American as apple pie and Papa's Got A Brand New Bag.

Edited by W. Niederhut