The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

On 9/16/2020 at 10:52 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I'm somewhat worried this evening regarding the plague.  While still high, numbers are going down, thankfully, finally, hopefully continuing to do so.  I think due to common sense by a majority regarding masking, social distancing and washing hands etc.  Not national or state in many cases leadership.

But.  My daughter is a Human Science teacher at a large HS North of Dallas.  This week, 3 days, she's had 20 kids switch to virtual classes because they tested positive or were in close contact with someone who did.  She's not feeling well this afternoon/evening.  She was coming to visit tomorrow night through Saturday, bringing the grandson.  Now maybe not. 

Scary stuff.  A friend of my daughter tested positive recently and my wife subsequently spiked a low grade fever.  It's not all that easy to "socially distance" from immediate family members. 

Fortunately, we all tested negative.  I violated Trump's CDC guidelines by getting tested while asymptomatic.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a heartwarming tale of Obamacare vs. single-payer healthcare for you.

Obamacare may be working at some people's houses, but not at this family's house, and not at mine.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/new-mexico-teen-dies-of-cancer-from-parent-refusal-to-see-doctor/

The only good thing Trump did for me was remove the IRS penalty for not being able to afford Obamacare.  It's more than Obama did for me.  Why am I a leftist?

Edited by David Andrews
1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Obamacare may be working at some people's houses, but not at this family's house, and not at mine.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/new-mexico-teen-dies-of-cancer-from-parent-refusal-to-see-doctor/

The only good thing Trump did for me was remove the IRS penalty for not being able to afford Obamacare.  It's more than Obama did for me.  Why am I a leftist?

David,

Medicaid expansion under Obamacare has been a Godsend for many people here in Colorado in recent years.  We also had a promising Obamacare health insurance co-op here that was, ultimately, sabotaged (defunded) by the GOP-controlled Congress after the Kochs bought control of both the House (2010) and Senate (2014.)

Obamacare has been plagued by both the lack of a public insurance option and by state discretion over Medicaid expansion.  We'll never have a functional, cost-effective system as long as the private, for-profit health insurance corporations control the money.

Trump has done nothing but throw a sabot in the Obamacare machinery, while pushing junk insurance plans.

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

David,

Medicaid expansion under Obamacare has been a Godsend for many people here in Colorado in recent years.  We also had a promising Obamacare health insurance co-op here that was, ultimately, sabotaged (defunded) by the GOP-controlled Congress after the Kochs bought control of both the House (2010) and Senate (2014.)

Obamacare has been plagued by both the lack of a public insurance option and by state discretion over Medicaid expansion.  We'll never have a functional, cost-effective system as long as the private, for-profit health insurance corporations control the money.

Trump has done nothing but throw a sabot in the Obamacare machinery, while pushing junk insurance plans.

And that Medicaid expansion was great for people who didn't work, but not for working people who didn't qualify for Medicaid and couldn't afford Obamacare.  That seems to include the family in my post whose son died.

Anybody who wants to quickly find out what Obamacare would cost them can use the Kaiser Foundation Obamacare Calculator. I just used it to get these figures:

Single 60 year old with $15k income:   $26 monthly premium

Single 60 year old with $20k income:   $77 monthly premium

Single 60 year old with $30k income:   $199 monthly premium 

Married 60 year olds with $30k income:   $68 monthly premium each

(In comparison, Medicare is $145 monthly per person. So most of the above examples are cheaper than Medicare. And they include drug coverage while Medicare doesn't.)

Obviously these are all highly subsidized premiums.

There are three levels of coverage, named Bronze, Silver, and Gold. YOU GET A SUBSIDY ONLY IF YOU PICK A SILVER PLAN. I suspect that some people who complain about the price of Obamacare picked a Bronze plan hoping to pay a lower premium, only to discover it has a very high premium. And so they walk away thinking that Obamacare sucks for low-income folks. LOW INCOME PEOPLE NEED TO PICK A SILVER PLAN. Bronze and Gold plans are for high-income folks.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:57 PM, David Andrews said:

David - would you elaborate? The underlying story here, it seems to me, is the incredible ignorance of the parents, who certainly could have taken their child to the doctor once, or to an emergency room once. Why is this a story about Obama care? Maybe you could share your personal complaint - why it doesn’t work for your family. I’m not defending the Affordable Care Act, which did help millions of people, but surely left millions behind. How did you and your family fall between the cracks? 

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Anybody who wants to quickly find out what Obamacare would cost them can use the Kaiser Foundation Obamacare Calculator. I just used it to get these figures:

Single 60 year old with $15k income:   $26 monthly premium

Single 60 year old with $20k income:   $77 monthly premium

Single 60 year old with $30k income:   $199 monthly premium 

Married 60 year olds with $30k income:   $68 monthly premium each

(In comparison, Medicare is $145 monthly per person. So most of the above examples are cheaper than Medicare. And they include drug coverage while Medicare doesn't.)

Obviously these are all highly subsidized premiums.

There are three levels of coverage, named Bronze, Silver, and Gold. YOU GET A SUBSIDY ONLY IF YOU PICK A SILVER PLAN. I suspect that some people who complain about the price of Obamacare picked a Bronze plan hoping to pay a lower premium, only to discover it has a very high premium. And so they walk away thinking that Obamacare sucks for low-income folks. LOW INCOME PEOPLE NEED TO PICK A SILVER PLAN. Bronze and Gold plans are for high-income folks.

Sandy, a central tenet of the Trump right wing wacko conspiracy  movement is the idea of an elitist Eugenics movement lead by Gates and Soros and others, and yet the people who swallow this cant even see that it's Trump whose going to take away the ACA, with still no plan to replace, leaving the people most in jeopardy like yourself to be uncertain of their future healthcare, and that's not population control?

And consider Trump's deliberate feet dragging on the virus, disproportionately killing off the lower economic strata of Americans. And that's not another example of population control?

Some of these hard core Trump supporters just can't make the connection, that this  will eventually happen to them.

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

David - would you elaborate? The underlying story here, it seems to me, is the incredible ignorance of the parents, who certainly could have taken their child to the doctor once, or to an emergency room once. Why is this a story about Obama care? Maybe you could share your personal complaint - why it doesn’t work for your family. I’m not defending the Affordable Care Act, which did help millions of people, but surely left millions behind. How did you and your family fall between the cracks? 

Debt, expenses, low pay; fear of adding to the first two.  Not every family has $100-plus disposable per month to pay for healthcare, even if co-sponsored by an employer.  Look at the statistics for people still uninsured under AHCA.  For these people, doctors and hospitals become the enemy.  Do you know how expensive an emergency room visit "once" is for the uninsured?  Those visits can have huge co-pays under some forms of insurance.  The US deserves single-payer healthcare for all below a certain income level.

Edited by David Andrews

I know what's going on Dave, you try to edit your post and it comes out as another post, but in quotes, leading others to think they already read it.

Damn!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

David, it sounds trite, but I understand your situation pretty well and agree about insurance/healthcare.  I was a supporter of Bernie Sanders (and anyone else) that truly wanted to reform our healthcare/insurance industry for that very reason.  I don't care what it's labeled, if a country cannot take care of its citizens who toil at the mundane and mostly low paying jobs that make it run, there is a problem that sooner or later will boil over.  My family would be in exactly your situation had I not lucked into a US Postal Svc. job many years ago.  We have been blessed with pretty good health up until now and no accidents that required hospitalization.  Even with this, we are struggling to hang on to our bottom of the barrel "middle class" status.  It always feels that we are swimming against the current and the current is getting stronger while we get older and weaker.  My best to you.  I wish I could offer more.

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Debt, expenses, low pay; fear of adding to the first two.  Not every family has $100-plus disposable per month to pay for healthcare, even if co-sponsored by an employer.  Look at the statistics for people still uninsured under AHCA.  For these people, doctors and hospitals become the enemy.  Do you know how expensive an emergency room visit "once" is for the uninsured?  Those visits can have huge co-pays under some forms of insurance.  The US deserves single-payer healthcare for all below a certain income level.

Yes - I get it. The Democrats only partially succeeded, and it was a compromise at best. I agree completely that we deserve single-payer at the very least for low income citizens.

3 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Sandy, a central tenet of the Trump right wing wacko conspiracy  movement is the idea of an elitist Eugenics movement lead by Gates and Soros and others, and yet the people who swallow this cant even see that it's Trump whose going to take away the ACA, with still no plan to replace, leaving the people most in jeopardy like yourself to be uncertain of their future healthcare, and that's not population control?

And consider Trump's deliberate feet dragging on the virus, disproportionately killing off the lower economic strata of Americans. And that's not another example of population control?

Some of these hard core Trump supporters just can't make the connection, that this  will eventually happen to them.

Well, the good news is that Trump still claims to have a "terrific" healthcare plan.

He has, apparently, been keeping it under wraps for the past four years, and it's so secret that even his closest advisors don't know what it is.

Check with Wheeler for details.  🤪

5 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I know what's going on Dave, you try to edit your post and it comes out as another post, but it in quotes, leading others to think they already read it.

Damn!

It's because the Edit button used to be next to the Quote button, so I keep hitting Quote instead of opening the menu.  Must...stop...that...

Edited by David Andrews
14 hours ago, Richard Price said:

David, it sounds trite, but I understand your situation pretty well and agree about insurance/healthcare.  I was a supporter of Bernie Sanders (and anyone else) that truly wanted to reform our healthcare/insurance industry for that very reason.  I don't care what it's labeled, if a country cannot take care of its citizens who toil at the mundane and mostly low paying jobs that make it run, there is a problem that sooner or later will boil over.  My family would be in exactly your situation had I not lucked into a US Postal Svc. job many years ago.  We have been blessed with pretty good health up until now and no accidents that required hospitalization.  Even with this, we are struggling to hang on to our bottom of the barrel "middle class" status.  It always feels that we are swimming against the current and the current is getting stronger while we get older and weaker.  My best to you.  I wish I could offer more.

Well said...true reality.

My family situation is so similar to yours. Except I never had even the somewhat benefit providing middle class job like your U.S. Postal Service one.