The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

While the world waits on the 20th the records keep breaking daily.  This really is astounding, the black winter is here.  223,675 new infections a day, Three times the country's July peak.  4085 people died yesterday.

Record daily COVID deaths soar past 4,000 in US (msn.com)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew Dr. Michael Holick in 1981, when he was a young Attending Physician at the Massachusetts General Hospital during my three month MGH medical clerkship.  He's the guy who first identified the structure of the 25-hydroxy Vitamin D molecule (when he was a biochemistry grad student at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.) Brilliant guy, and  unpretentious.  The first thing he told me was that the residents and interns at MGH were excellent, and smart enough to ask questions when they were unsure about what to do. 

Boston University doctor: Vitamin D can help reduce coronavirus risk by 54%
www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/17/vitamin-d-can-help-reduce-coronavirus-risk-by-54-boston-university-doctor/

January 14, 2021

Dr. Michael Holick, Professor of Medicine, Physiology and Biophysics at Boston University School of Medicine and his colleagues studied blood samples from Quest Diagnostics of more than 190,000 Americans from all 50 states and found that those who had deficient levels of vitamin D had 54% higher COVID positivity compared to those with adequate levels of vitamin D in the blood.

The risk of getting coronavirus continued to decline as vitamin D levels increased, the study, published in the Public Library of Science One peer-reviewed journal shows. “The higher your vitamin D status, lower was your risk,” Holick said.

The vitamin is easy to find and relatively cheap in drug stores, and taking vitamin D pills comes at no risk. “It’s perfectly safe,” Holick said. “It’s considered to be, by many, the nutrient of the decade,” Holick said. A deficiency in the nutrient alters the immune system, making one more likely to get upper respiratory infections.

The average adult needs around 2,000 units of vitamin D a day, Holick said. He said he’s been taking 6,000 units a day for decades and is in great health.

Several other studies on vitamin D have shown its benefits to the immune system.

Research published with the National Institutes of Health showed people with lower vitamin D levels were more likely to self-report a recent upper respiratory tract infection than those with sufficient levels.Another study of more than 11,000 participants published in the British Medical Journal found vitamin D supplementation reduced the risk of acute respiratory tract infection among all participants.

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I knew Dr. Michael Holick in 1981, when he was a young Attending Physician at the Massachusetts General Hospital during my three month MGH medical clerkship.  He's the guy who first identified the structure of the 25-hydroxy Vitamin D molecule (when he was a biochemistry grad student at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.) Brilliant guy, and  unpretentious.  The first thing he told me was that the residents and interns at MGH were excellent, and smart enough to ask questions when they were unsure about what to do. 

Boston University doctor: Vitamin D can help reduce coronavirus risk by 54%
www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/17/vitamin-d-can-help-reduce-coronavirus-risk-by-54-boston-university-doctor/

January 14, 2021

Dr. Michael Holick, Professor of Medicine, Physiology and Biophysics at Boston University School of Medicine and his colleagues studied blood samples from Quest Diagnostics of more than 190,000 Americans from all 50 states and found that those who had deficient levels of vitamin D had 54% higher COVID positivity compared to those with adequate levels of vitamin D in the blood.

The risk of getting coronavirus continued to decline as vitamin D levels increased, the study, published in the Public Library of Science One peer-reviewed journal shows. “The higher your vitamin D status, lower was your risk,” Holick said.

The vitamin is easy to find and relatively cheap in drug stores, and taking vitamin D pills comes at no risk. “It’s perfectly safe,” Holick said. “It’s considered to be, by many, the nutrient of the decade,” Holick said. A deficiency in the nutrient alters the immune system, making one more likely to get upper respiratory infections.

The average adult needs around 2,000 units of vitamin D a day, Holick said. He said he’s been taking 6,000 units a day for decades and is in great health.

Several other studies on vitamin D have shown its benefits to the immune system.

Research published with the National Institutes of Health showed people with lower vitamin D levels were more likely to self-report a recent upper respiratory tract infection than those with sufficient levels.Another study of more than 11,000 participants published in the British Medical Journal found vitamin D supplementation reduced the risk of acute respiratory tract infection among all participants.

Thanks for this W.  I printed it and left a copy on the office break/work room table.  My Doc has had me taking D3 for several years now.  Nice to know maybe I have some resistance.  Though I stay isolated as best I can, distance as much as possible and mask pretty religiously.

Speaking of masking, watch these congressmen grin as they politely refuse one as they hunker down during the Capitol invasion.  No fear, concern.  Covid and invasion are one big joke.  

A member of Congress says she chose to risk running into Capitol rioters over sheltering with maskless colleagues during the insurrection (msn.com)

On 1/17/2021 at 8:58 PM, David Andrews said:

Right on Dave!, actually I hate any thread with Wheeler's name on it, though I take it that was a sincere post election reconciliation gesture to Wheeler, by Cliff that events have shown was never truly accepted by Wheeler. Jeff's fine but what is he going to give us,  Canadian Mountie Punk?

We know he wasn't well. We've heard the stories for years. That's why they put him away.

The first one with Specter's "Wall of Sound" the Crystals "Uptown". where they successfully rhyme "tenement" with "pay much rent". Still the great string arrangements with a little piccicado! I love these women!

And this is a less produced version. and a bit flawed. I just wish I could combine the first version with this old film of Harlem.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

We know he wasn't well. We've heard the stories for years. That's why they put him away.

Wheeler?

Yeah, didn't you hear Dave? the mods killed him.

Paradoxically, both him and Spector will always be geniuses, in their own mind!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Why lawmakers tested positive for COVID-19 after Capitol riot, despite vaccinations

Full protection against the virus doesn't happen right after getting the shot.

Despite receiving one or two doses of a coronavirus vaccine, multiple members of Congress have tested positive for COVID-19 since the riot at the U.S. Capitol.

While currently available vaccines are highly effective against symptomatic illness, it takes about two weeks after the second dose to offer that high degree of protection, according to infectious disease experts. With some lawmakers exposed shortly after their first or second shot, those experts say it's not surprising they became infected after what's being described as a "superspreader" event.

What a legacy, on the day before Trump is officially finished, he hits 400 K passed on due to CV 19.

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Sir David, this is bad news on top of bad news for me - a Bond film addict.

Every new Bond film I would race to the theater at the earliest time showing ( afternoon ) which would usually mean I had a better chance at getting my perfect viewing seat location versus later "prime time" showings.

I would get in the theater as early as possible to also garner an open seat next to mine and drape my coat over the back to give it the appearance of being taken.

This covertly obtained open seat became my placement space for my enormous snack stash:

A huge size drum of popcorn and other candy counter treats which I am also addicted to such as chocolate covered raisins, junior mints, Rollo caramels, etc.

One of the most depressing aspects of the Covid monster is how it has cut me ( and my wife ) off from one of our strongest addictions.

My wife went to two movies a week before the Covid.

We had a 5 seperate film room indie movie theater downtown that showed foreign films and small budget films. She just loved this part of her life.

Usually she went alone either because of my preference for more action type films versus her attraction to more thoughtful story ones or chick flicks as they say? Or because of my loud and distracting lip smacking and chewing and swallowing from eating my snacks throughout the film.

We have been going through true physical and emotional withdrawals in this regards. Twitching, pacing back and forth, constant hand wringing, lashing out over minor issues.

The movies on TV just don't measure up. And we've seen almost every film offered on the standard movie channels already.

So, the other night in the middle of a meaningless withdrawal argument my wife just stopped and said ... "that's it!"

We decided to pay whatever these gouging movie streaming drug dealers (Amazon Prime?" "Hula?" ) were charging to see just one new good review A-list film for once.

We watched the new Tom Hanks film "News Of The World."

They charged us $20 BUCKS!

I had to curse at this con price. I yelled at the walls that even though movie theaters were close to or at that high price, at least they could justify it because of their overhead costs. Paid employees, equipment costs, building upkeep, utilities, theater and bathroom cleaning, etc.

But I calmed down and resigned myself to this stick up as we both needed our fix like you wouldn't believe.

I had my snacks but kept my chewing and swallowing muted and I sat at one of the farthest away angles to see the screen so as not to distract my wife's viewing.

And we both really enjoyed the film!

I think once a month we will probably pay this indulgent and unfair amount for the drug we need. 

I don't know how much the film studios make out of that $20 viewing fee, but if millions of Americans pay this, I think they can still make good money.

I was hoping the producers of this latest Bond film would have cracked by now and allowed it to be shown via these streaming services.

I would pay the $20 to see it.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 1/22/2021 at 12:45 PM, Joe Bauer said:

Every new Bond film I would race to the theater at the earliest time showing ( afternoon ) which would usually mean I had a better chance at getting my perfect viewing seat location versus later "prime time" showings.

I would get in the theater as early as possible to also garner an open seat next to mine and drape my coat over the back to give it the appearance of being taken.

Hah!  As a grown man, I left work early and drove 15 miles, at Bond-like speeds, across a major city and into the suburbs to catch a 10:10 PM opening-night showing of Skyfall.  I got in the car at 9:50 and my butt hit the seat just as the last trailer ended.

I wouldn't have done it for any Bond between Connery and Craig, though.

Edited by David Andrews