The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

The county website says today anyone can register.  Guess I'll do so.  When they get to me is unknown.  Isolating except groceries and other essentials at 64 and waiting. 

Hoping at the moment to not get froze out through Presidents day.  Saturday night through Tuesday morning, low 10, high 22, low of 12, high 23, low of 12.  Unusual for here, maybe every 10-20-30 years.  Re insulated water pipes leaking last year I worked on.  New bulb for the pump house heat lamp, wouldn't want it to fail in the middle of this.  Busted pipes suck President's day or any other.  Hopefully not that 1/4 -1/2 inch of possible sleet.  Power was out two day's two years ago because of that stuff.  All electric meant no heat.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/9/2021 at 10:28 PM, Ron Bulman said:

The county website says today anyone can register.  Guess I'll do so.  When they get to me is unknown.  Isolating except groceries and other essentials at 64 and waiting. 

Hoping at the moment to not get froze out through Presidents day.  Saturday night through Tuesday morning, low 10, high 22, low of 12, high 23, low of 12.  Unusual for here, maybe every 10-20-30 years.  Re insulated water pipes leaking last year I worked on.  New bulb for the pump house heat lamp, wouldn't want it to fail in the middle of this.  Busted pipes suck President's day or any other.  Hopefully not that 1/4 -1/2 inch of possible sleet.  Power was out two day's two years ago because of that stuff.  All electric meant no heat.

Guess we'll be isolating even more than usual for the next week.  It may be a normal thing for W or someone from Nebraska or Maine but I haven't seen Zero in north central Texas in about 40 years.  Never remember it not getting above freezing for over a week.  We are not prepared for this.  I've tried to do that the last few day, best I could.  To put it in perspective the record low for here in February is 6, we're supposed to break that twice.  I'm praying for no power outages and the dripping water from very faucet doesn't freeze up.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 32.3°N and Longitude 98.27°W (Elev. 1375 ft) (weather.gov)

A tenth of an inch of ice on a bridge in Fort Worth has already caused the worst pile up I ever remember seeing in the news in Texas.  130 (?) vehicles, six dead, 60 injured for now.

Texas winter storms: At least 9 dead in crashes across Dallas-Fort Worth area due to winter storms - CNN

A facebook video that's been taken down, thankfully, of an 18 wheeler that couldn't stop, is one of the most horrific things I've ever seen.

On 2/8/2021 at 3:56 AM, Ron Bulman said:

Bumping this thread for Chris Barnard, who want's to start one on the pandemic.

Thanks Ron, just spotted this. 

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I used to live in Denton County, glad I don't anymore.

Denton County Reports 8 Deaths, 529 Cases of COVID-19 Friday; 7 ICU Beds (msn.com)

Ron,

My wife's elderly parents in Denton were able to get vaccinated last month, but her aunt who lives in a nursing home in Denton has now tested positive for COVID and is not doing well.

Terrible accident down there on I-35, and I read today that Dallas will hit wind chills of -10 F this weekend!  Thomas Friedman calls it "global weirding."

This polar vortex will probably kill some of the marvelous flora down there that doesn't survive this far north--e.g., laurel, magnolia, bamboo, rhododendron, azalea.  I grew rhododendrons and bamboo in my garden here in Denver once, but those plants died when the winter temperatures would drop below -10 F.

It was a balmy -5 F in Denver this morning, but we'll get all the way up to 8 F this afternoon.

Stay warm.

Edited by W. Niederhut

On 2/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

My wife's elderly parents in Denton were able to get vaccinated last month, but her aunt who lives in a nursing home in Denton has now tested positive for COVID and is not doing well.

Terrible accident down there on I-35, and I read today that Dallas will hit wind chills of -10 F this weekend!  Thomas Friedman calls it "global weirding."

This polar vortex will probably kill some of the marvelous flora down there that doesn't survive this far north--e.g., laurel, magnolia, bamboo, rhododendron, azalea.  I grew rhododendrons and bamboo in my garden here in Denver once, but those plants died when the winter temperatures would drop below -10 F.

It was a balmy -5 F in Denver this morning, but we'll get all the way up to 8 F this afternoon.

Stay warm.

I've got a local spreader event story to relate later but before I loose power again.  7 rolling power outages since 3:15 this morning of 30-45 minutes each.  Water went off after power came back on the second time.  3 degree low with minus -15 chill factor.  Amazingly water, to half the house came back on when the power came back on the 4th time, and has each time since.  I had about 20 gallons put back in the first place.  Filled 3 larger ice chests and 1 small one in addition when it came back on time before last.  Not above freezing until Friday.  Already been a long day but others have it worse.  Better go before elect cuts off again and I loose the post!

Extreme cold snap shuts down central U.S. Texas is ground zero (msn.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

Awoke to  snow on the ground in Houston. A week ago I sunbathed by the pool at my apartment complex. All of Texas today is frozen stiff, another indication of climate change being upon us. This article  details its ramifications: 

Frozen wind turbines, soaring spot electricity prices: How the Artic freeze is roiling Texas’ energy market (dallasnews.com)

10 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Awoke to  snow on the ground in Houston. A week ago I sunbathed by the pool at my apartment complex. All of Texas today is frozen stiff, another indication of climate change being upon us. This article  details its ramifications: 

Frozen wind turbines, soaring spot electricity prices: How the Artic freeze is roiling Texas’ energy market (dallasnews.com)

The all time low in Houston was recorded in 1930. Was that "climate change" too? It was funny to see them deicing the turbine blades with a helicopter that runs on fossil fuels using chemicals derived from fossil fuels. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Good luck down there. We broke two 75 year-old records in our town in Montana in the past week, hitting -31 Sunday morning. It's supposed to get to 12 today, first time above zero since last Sunday.

I've skied at -30 F temperatures a few times, and it's downright dangerous.  Tears instantly freeze on my goggles, and my beard is solid ice by the time I get to the bottom of the mountain.

It was a balmy -10 F yesterday morning here in Denver, and it got up to a high of 0 F by the afternoon.

My koi are all alive today, but I had to put an extra heater in my koi pond over the weekend to keep my pond from turning into a giant block of ice.

(I lost $500 worth of mature koi a few years ago when the temperature dropped below -10 F.)

3 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Good luck down there. We broke two 75 year-old records in our town in Montana in the past week, hitting -31 Sunday morning. It's supposed to get to 12 today, first time above zero since last Sunday.

I read earlier Montana has the same grid company as Texas, Southern States I think?  Are they doing the rolling blackouts in Montana?  Oops, time's getting close for another one.  We were doing fine until they started.  Better go before I loose another post in mid sentence.

1 hour ago, Ty Carpenter said:

The all time low in Houston was recorded in 1930. Was that "climate change" too? It was funny to see them deicing the turbine blades with a helicopter that runs on fossil fuels using chemicals derived from fossil fuels. 

Look what climate change is doing to the big oil refineries today:

Biggest Oil Refineries in U.S. Are Going Dark Amid the Cold (yahoo.com)

Yeah. Power and heat back on, for about an hour probably.  2/3 of the time is better than no thirds, better than some have.  Daughter, son in law and 2 year old grandson left their house about 4:00 for his dads, no power since 7:00 am, down to 60, falling about 7 degrees an hour by then she said.  Worried about my mother in law and her husband, 80 and 85.  No power since 5:00 am, neighbor brought them coffee this morning, no way to heat or cook any food, told my wife we've got plenty of blankets, she called another neighbor asking him to check on them, wife got reamed on the phone, we're all right.  After a high in the low teens headed for 0 I fear it could be well below freezing in their house before morning.

Power again.  This is something that's helpful when the power goes out.  Plus I've got a 19.2 v 6" job.  Use near an hour, recharge soon as the power comes on.

Edited by Ron Bulman

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yeah. Power and heat back on, for about an hour probably.  2/3 of the time is better than no thirds, better than some have.  Daughter, son in law and 2 year old grandson left their house about 4:00 for his dads, no power since 7:00 am, down to 60, falling about 7 degrees an hour by then she said.  Worried about my mother in law and her husband, 80 and 85.  No power since 5:00 am, neighbor brought them coffee this morning, no way to heat or cook any food, told my wife we've got plenty of blankets, she called another neighbor asking him to check on them, wife got reamed on the phone, we're all right.  After a high in the low teens headed for 0 I fear it could be well below freezing in their house before morning.

Ron,

I've learned over the years that gas grills and fireplaces can be useful during these power outages.

Meanwhile, here's an authentic Native American weather alert from North Dakota today.