The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

I've been re-reading Albert Camus' novel, The Plague, this week, and I was struck by this passage, in particular.*  The novel was published in 1947, and has obvious allegorical parallels to the Nazi occupation of France, but Camus also managed to accurately describe the pervasive initial denial of the epidemic that has characterized the reaction to the COVID-19 disaster in many parts of the U.S.

*       "Everybody knows that pestilences have a way of recurring in the world, yet somehow we find it hard to believe in ones that crash down on our heads from a blue sky. There have been as many plagues as wars in history, yet always plagues and wars take people equally by surprise."

-- Albert Camus/The Plague

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DId everyone see what Trump said today?

We have gone from it  being under control and a hoax to between 100-240 K dead.

But he will try to keep it at 100K and that would be doing well.

You can't make this stuff up.  This is how ridiculous our political system has become today.  And his approval ratings are going up.

Dylan's poem really nailed it.

Well, one of my favorite restaurants, about two blocks down, called Harry's has now closed and the building is up  for lease.

One of my other favorites, about a  mile down the street, The Corner Bakery, is also shuttered.  You cannot get by  in that business on take out and delivery.

I came here from Quito Ecuador March 10th. There were almost no cases in Ecuador or even in Latin America at that time but If I had left a week later. I might not  have gotten out. They are imposing very draconiam measures in Latin America even though their case loads are miniscule compared to Asia, Europe and North America.

In the International news feeds I had, at first I  heard the problems states were Washington, then California, then California and Washington. It wasn't until I arrived that suddenly it was the NYC area,with Di Blasio and Cuomo realizing it later (though in fairness Cuomo as Governor bares less responsibility), and the news has been about NYC ever since. As well it should be, NY and NJ have a high rate of positives.

San Francisco, the Bay Area and then California Govenor Newsome was  the first to put the "shelter in place" restrictions throughout a state. Then it became a bottom up movement that spread to the major states, then the major metropolitan areas so now most of the population has some form of lock down..They're saying that the early shelter in place is working in California, But what I find disturbing is the lack of testing in California. I hope this is because fewer people are experiencing symptoms?
How many coronavirus cases have been found in each U.S. state

Here are the  projected peak dates for each state.

Governor Kemp of Georgia, only in the last 24 hours found out that asymptomatic people can still spread the virus. What a complete irresponsible moron!, right along with Di Santis of Florida.

I was pretty bummed by the news today.  First was US tops 1000 deaths in a day yesterday, doubling from 500 the day before.  Then the world wide total cases hits a million, deaths 50,000 and they say the numbers are low.  Now Kirk's chart shows Texas peaking April 27 - May 4 which means it would likely be weeks after that before things might return to something close to normal (e.g. restaurants, theaters, barbers open).  Only a week into this but I thought originally I'll do things around the house I've been neglecting, but I find myself having to say to self get up, walk around, stretch, exercise.  Guess I should be thankful we (family) show no symptoms thus far.  Here's to hoping no other forum members do either. 

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Well, one of my favorite restaurants, about two blocks down, called Harry's has now closed and the building is up  for lease.

One of my other favorites, about a  mile down the street, The Corner Bakery, is also shuttered.  You cannot get by  in that business on take out and delivery.

I noticed Pastafina's open sign was off and the  parking lot completely empty yesterday after it was open the first couple of days of SIP.  Most of the fast food drive thru's were still open, some busier than others.  While in town yesterday to pick up the wife's prescriptions I thought let's go by Hard Eight and get a chopped beef sandwich to go.  They're regionally famous for outstanding BBQ, people drive 30-40 miles, make it a point to stop passing through.  Opened a second location in the metromess between Fort Worth and Dallas a few years back.  No dice. I expect they'll return along with Pastafina, I hope.  Meanwhile  I've got ribs in the freezer, a smoker and wood, when the rain goes away and the wood dries out.  Not as good as Hard Eight but still tasty.

For tonight, wife asked if I wanted to watch Woodstock.  Been thinking about films to watch I've not seen in a while.  I was 13 in 69, she was 5, I have it on VHS, taped off PBS.  She's never really watched it and will probably be asleep in thirty minutes.  I could use a refresher as a distraction.  

Just now, David Andrews said:

That's the movie Charlton Heston watches at the beginning of The Omega Man.

I thought he watched it in Planet of the Apes.

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I noticed Pastafina's open sign was off and the  parking lot completely empty yesterday after it was open the first couple of days of SIP.  Most of the fast food drive thru's were still open, some busier than others.  While in town yesterday to pick up the wife's prescriptions I thought let's go by Hard Eight and get a chopped beef sandwich to go.  They're regionally famous for outstanding BBQ, people drive 30-40 miles, make it a point to stop passing through.  Opened a second location in the metromess between Fort Worth and Dallas a few years back.  No dice. I expect they'll return along with Pastafina, I hope.  Meanwhile  I've got ribs in the freezer, a smoker and wood, when the rain goes away and the wood dries out.  Not as good as Hard Eight but still tasty.

For tonight, wife asked if I wanted to watch Woodstock.  Been thinking about films to watch I've not seen in a while.  I was 13 in 69, she was 5, I have it on VHS, taped off PBS.  She's never really watched it and will probably be asleep in thirty minutes.  I could use a refresher as a distraction.  

What she found was this, which I've not seen before.  While on the build up as much as the show, Lots of footage I've not seen.  Worth watching if you've not seen imo.

https://www.woodstockdocumentary.com/

Jimmy Hendrix took the world in his palm in that film.

When Hendrix congratulated Dylan for the All Along the Watchtower, Dylan said something like, I just wrote it, its your song.

Edited by James DiEugenio

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jimmy Hendrix took the world in his palm in that film.

When Hendrix congratulated Dylan for the All Along the Watchtower, Dylan said something like, I just wrote it, its your song.

IMO, Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is the greatest cover in history.

That Reprise 45 rpm of All Along the Watchtower was the first Hendrix recording I ever heard back in the day.

I probably played that 45 a thousand times.

Edited by W. Niederhut

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

IMO, Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is the greatest cover in history.

That Reprise 45 rpm of All Along the Watchtower was the first Hendrix recording I ever heard back in the day.

I probably played it a thousand times.

Howwwwwwwl