The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

This is one of my personal Dylan favorites, thought maybe not one of the most popular.  I saw the movie at the drive in.  The song was a (slower version) welcome end to a not great version of Billy The Kid.  For all his folk fans, no electricity.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/28/2020 at 12:56 AM, Cory Santos said:

David, where is the alleged surgeon general's report discussing the frontal shot.  Did it ever really exist?  When did you become aware of it?  What actions did you to take after learning of it?   Thank you.

Response: It was in one of the documents released in mid-January 1969 —Jan 20, 1969, as I recall - the day the Clark Panel documents were released. Included was a document (or a memo) created when Humes, Boswell, and Finck went to the National Archives to examine the autopsy x-rays and photos. One of the documents included a statement by Surgeon General Edward Kennedy, Surgeon General who, as I recall, wore “another hat”  -he was also Chief of Naval Operations (i.e., CNO) of the Navy.  One of the documents reported Kenney as having made the statement about the purpose of the autopsy --to determine the use of death.  The implication (if true): That Humes had been spcifically instructed,at the outset of the Bethesda autopsy, to determine the cause of death —i.e., and not to concern himself with what may have appened to the body after death.  (Sorry for the delay in responding to your query).

17 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

This is one of my personal Dylan favorites, thought maybe not one of the most popular.  I saw the movie at the drive in.  The song was a (slower version) welcome end to a not great version of Billy The Kid.  For all his folk fans, no electricity.

Ron,

Knockin' On Heaven's Door is probably Dylan's most popular post-60s song ever, and one of my personal favorites also.

It's a very simple, plaintive song that has been covered by almost everyone during the past 47 years, from Clapton to Guns 'n Roses.

I recorded this cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door about 15 years ago and, when I first posted it on the Soundclick website for some musician friends, it became a top ten cover song on the site, much to my surprise.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14036720

Edited by W. Niederhut

10 hours ago, Chuck Schwartz said:

David, do you think Curtis Lemay was at the Bethesda "autopsy" barking orders?

It is a really interesting question due to the work Doug Horne did on this, plus the unexpurgated AF 1 flight logs.

We get back to the Lowenstein question with this material.

While investigating the RFK case, the late attorney Allard Lowenstein said:  in my legal experience people with nothing to hide, don't hide things.

4 minutes ago, Micah Mileto said:

Just smoking a cigar, or not there at all?

I never believed LeMay was there because, if he had been present, the FBI agents would have noted his presence on the list of individuals they included in their FBI 302 report.  IMHO.

1 minute ago, David Lifton said:

I never believed LeMay was there because, if he had been present, the FBI agents would have noted his presence on the list of individuals they included in their FBI 302 report.  IMHO.

Do you think Lipsey or Karnei were ever there?

David, I believe that J Edgar Hoover was an integral part of the cover-up and would never have let the names of the Big Event organizers be revealed on any report.  So, if you are relying on an FBI report to determine if Curtis Lemay was at the Bethesda autopsy, you are being gullible, IMHO.  ( that is like believing Allan Dulles and his WC report, when it was Dulles who helped develop the plan to murder JFK)..  So, to quote  what Bob Dylan said in the song "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" : " No one said a thing when they carried him out... except the little neighbor boy, who muttered underneath his breath,  " nothing is revealed.""

3 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

Knockin' On Heaven's Door is probably Dylan's most popular post-60s song ever, and one of my personal favorites also.

It's a very simple, plaintive song that has been covered by almost everyone during the past 47 years, from Clapton to Guns 'n Roses.

I recorded this cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door about 15 years ago and, when I first posted it on the Soundclick website for some musician friends, it became a top ten cover song on the site, much to my surprise.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14036720

Smooth stuff W.  That's you doing all of it from your basement like the link before?  The vocals are quite good but I really like the guitar work.

It's a tough choice but I'd have thought Hurricane might have been rated higher by some regarding post 60's songs.

Full screen is best.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bob+dylan+rubin+carter&docid=608036256352306303&mid=7600B60E3C238DAE3B477600B60E3C238DAE3B47&view=detail&FORM=VIRE  

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Smooth stuff W.  That's you doing all of it from your basement like the link before?  The vocals are quite good but I really like the guitar work.

It's a tough choice but I'd have thought Hurricane might have been rated higher by some regarding post 60's songs.

Full screen is best.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bob+dylan+rubin+carter&docid=608036256352306303&mid=7600B60E3C238DAE3B477600B60E3C238DAE3B47&view=detail&FORM=VIRE  

Ron,

It's been so many years since I recorded that cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door that I can hardly remember the tracks, but I'm fairly sure it was; 1) My Martin JM40 acoustic, 2) Guild SD60 electric, (a 70s era solid body guitar similar to the Fender Telecasters) 3) Fender bass, 4) Yamaha organ.  Recorded on my Boss BR-8 digital recording deck.

The FBI agents admitted that not every one signed in.

Its not logical to think that after LeMay covered up where he was, and he broke orders and did not land at Andrews, thereby avoiding the cameras, that he would then obligingly sign in.

There were many people at the autopsy whose presence was not officially recorded. It's like

the missing list of civilian witnesses at the Texas Theatre, but at least we know that

such a list was taken before it was deep-sixed.

Well, I just had a chance to thank Bob Dylan for MMF and tell him what a firestorm his song has created in the research community.  Don't ask me how, it just happened...