The Education Forum

Bob Dylan tackles the Kennedy assassination: Murder Most Foul

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I always fancied myself a "Dylanologist," but it would be more accurate to say that I was a Dylan impersonator.

When I was in high school and college back in the 70s, my folkster friends and I idolized Bob Dylan, and we used to play a lot of his songs in our folk/blues repertoire.  Anything by Dylan was considered unquestionably cool.  I played guitar and used a Bob Dylan-style harmonica holder.

Since I'm sheltering-in-place today, and my fellow Dylan fans are crawling out of the word work, I just posted another one of my favorite old Bob Dylan cover songs at Soundclick.

This one was written in August of 1963, just three months before JFK was murdered.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14018631

Very good.  I hope you were never a Dylanologist in the vein of Gerry Hemming's buddy A j Weberman.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-in-the-alley-the-alan-j-weberman-story-189254/

And here "he keeps knocking my head against the sidewalk".

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/tangled_up_in_dylan_the_twisted_tale_of_aj_weberman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Weberman for the 9/11 completist.  Was I asking here about B****** K**** ?  Maybe not like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Homo-Thug-Unauthorized-Biography-2008-05-28/dp/B01HCAE0D8

And of course,

https://www.amazon.com/Coup-dEtat-America-Assassination-Kennedy/dp/0932551106/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=a+j+weberman&qid=1585895394&s=books&sr=1-1

I would have to agree with that.

What the heck was he trying to do?  I mean really?

1 hour ago, Anthony Thorne said:

All of those Weberman books are floating around in PDF form.

Speaking of which...I'm reading the Giuliani book now.  It's partly "a witch-hunt for homosexuals" in NYC-area politics (Weberman's own words), but still has in it a detailed case study of relations between FBI, CIA, NYC and NJ police and politicians, and the Mob, from about 1996 to 9/11.  The sources have to be examined and corroborated, but it presents an interesting circle of back-scratching cronies, albeit revolving around one set of criminal cases.  Involves that former police commissioner who went to prison.  Most writing about that guy tends to be of the rags-to-riches-to-rags type, too much Welcome Back! to be real.

Edited by David Andrews

I noticed that A.J. Weberman's paperback, Homothug, is listed at $898.87 on Amazon.  That has to be some kind of an Amazon record price for a paperback.  Must be a bad joke.

Meanwhile, although I generally deplore violence, I kind of admire Bob Dylan for personally kicking the crap out of Weberman in the Bowery.  🤪

11 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Speaking of which...I'm reading the Giuliani book now.  It's partly "a witch-hunt for homosexuals" in NYC-area politics (Weberman's own words), but still has in it a detailed case study of relations between FBI, CIA, NYC and NJ police and politicians, and the Mob, from about 1996 to 9/11.  The sources have to be examined and corroborated, but it presents an interesting circle of back-scratching cronies, albeit revolving around one set of criminal cases.  Involves that former police commissioner who went to prison.  Most writing about that guy tends to be of the rags-to-riches-to-rags type, too much Welcome Back! to be real.

There's a new used paperback copy of Homothug for sale on Amazon today for... get this... $499.89!

Time to sell your paperback, if you own a copy.   (WTF?  Is Rudy G. buying these extant copies?)

Speaking of the alien invasion theory for the corona virus quarantine, consider Line 55 of Dylan's "Murder Most  Foul." 
Speaking of the Kennedy grandchildren video post singing "Timber Going Down" the day before Dylan's MMF song release, consider line 55 of Dylan's lyric.

Dylan line 55 says  
"Shut your mouth," said the wise old owl
Business is business, and it's a murder most foul

"Shut Your Mouth" is a 2012 song by the punk metal band Pain about a low key space alien invader, who crashes at the dude's house and they worry about germs. The song, "Shut your Mouth" says, "its going down, "  as in the Kennedy kids "Timber" song. 

What more could Dylan and the JFK grandchildren be telling us?    I am going to burn a bonfire. Pluto conjunct Jupiter in Capricorn.

lyrics https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=pain+shut+your+mouth+yrics&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

3 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

There's a new used paperback copy of Homothug for sale on Amazon today for... get this... $499.89!

Time to sell your paperback, if you own a copy.   (WTF?  Is Rudy G. buying these extant copies?)

Well, if you want to read about how the K**** ring indictments went down, the .pdf is about the only place to go....

One of the indicted claimed that he was told that it was the mission of the Republican Party to put him away.  So, was it a local cabal, or larger, that did for B***** when he reached for a Federal post?

Why pick on this crew?  K****'s co-conspirators were doing standard operating procedure in the influence racket, for the NY-NJ area.  They were doing it before he came along, such was the climate.

Weberman's main sin is that he writes like a child about some of the worst adult behavior, and stoops to homophobic sniggering when he should do what he does best - dig, and present the archeological record.  There was room in this book to examine, say, the downfall of Elliott Spitzer for allegedly threatening to expose 9/11 insider trading; or some of the misdeeds of New York's Southern District Court.  It could have been one of the great New York muckraking books, but it is sidetracked by the sex lives of powerful men, which is piffle, relatively.  Playing Who's a Fairy? is rather beneath the intellect of modern man.

Edited by David Andrews

Did anyone know this?

Dylan lived in Woodstock in 1969.

He turned down an offer to play there. 

Instead he did the Isle of Wight festival..  

Edited by James DiEugenio

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Did anyone know this?

Dylan lived in Woodstock in 1969.

He turned down an offer to play there. 

Instead he did the Isle of Wight festival..  

I read about that Dylan Woodstock story somewhere.

A related story is that Joni Mitchell was advised by her manager to skip Woodstock because she had a pre-scheduled appearance on the Dick Cavett Show (with the Jefferson Airplane.)

(Incidentally, honorable mention for the greatest cover songs in history should go to Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's cover of Joni Mitchell's plaintive electric piano ballad, Woodstock.)

That is really funny about her manager saying you got to do Cavett, forget Woodstock 

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

That is really funny about her manager saying you got to do Cavett, forget Woodstock 

I don't know if it was David Geffen, but it has to rank among the worst managerial blunders in music history.  And what's worse -- the Jefferson Airplane was the lead act on that episode of the Dick Cavett Show.  Joni Mitchell sort of got lost in the shuffle-- instead of starring at Woodstock.