The Education Forum

Operation 40 pictures

I was perusing a facebook group and a picture of Operation 40 group members was posted.  The post said that an Italian documentary found it.

One of the picture shows a person that looks eerily similar to Harold Doyle, one of the tramps.

Does anyone have any idea where to get access to a site that has pictures of operation 40?

Edited by Keyvan Shahrdar

If it is the purported photo of a group at a dinner table it has been widely and effectively debunked...  As to Operation 40, which was never officially designated in that manner,  its far more complex than often discussed.  You might find this article interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/01/04/archives/cuban-exiles-recall-domestic-spying-and-picketing-for-cia.html

As for a list of those involved in the group originally,  which was prepared for the landings in Cuba,  you can find it here:

https://cuban-exile.com/doc_026-050/doc0034.html

The group prepared and trained for intelligence activities inside Cuba became quite different after the failed landings, with some members going on to participate in the Cuban Intelligence Service operated by JMWAVE and others going into the highly unsanctioned and illegal activities discussed in the New York Times article.

I found the video - The man on the left most person to our left of the person that looks like Frank Sturgis. Starts at the 16 second mark. That person looks like Harold Doyle.

Is there a way to find out the people in this video?

This film has been discussed here before - years ago. It was taken at an event hosted by Frank Sturgis and Gerry Hemming.  It was made as part of a television coverage and was intended to  promote and solicit donations to the INTERPEN group - it has nothing at all to do with Operation 40 or those involved in that. 

Pedro Diaz Lantz's brother is also in the picture as is Marita Lorenz.   The Doyle looking character is one of the various Interpen hangers on, he has been identified but the name escapes me at the moment.

The media event featured a parachute jump and the effect was dampened when one of the jumpers broke a leg or an angle, forget which.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Check this list,  the individuals assigned for OP40 / Cuban intelligence groups would be among the master list - as well as individuals designated for other aspects of the project including the Brigade and the Nino Diaz mission:  

https://cuban-exile.com/doc_026-050/doc0034.html

Edited by Larry Hancock

I had that image annotated... I did not add anything.  I did do a close-up analysis of the Oswald behind Sturgis and the resemblance is surely there... the next few frames has this person walk across screen to our right...  not sure if all the names are correctly attached to the right person...  it appears so...

btw, Doyle, Gedney and Abrams were the names of the actually arrested 3 tramps, they are not the ones in the DP photos...  they’re the ones in jail all weekend...   DPD WISE tells the whole story... fwiw 

1672955815_PhotomaybeofoswaldwithsturgisandlorenzinFLtrainingcamp-smaller.thumb.jpg.5b4aea369b4c1ef86e98a85b601aa7be.jpg

The picture was taken during a press event Hemming had set up to show off Interpen, during the period he and Sturgis were cooperating.  Its described in a couple of Miami news stories.  The Hemming and Sturgis identifications are certainly correct and the other folks are likely from the Interpen group of that period, which included Seymour and a couple of others who do resemble Oswald.   The press event didn't go off quite as planned because one of the fellows who jumped muffed his landing and either twisted or broke an ankle - not quite the example of showing off the skills of the groups purported highly experienced paramiliary operators, which was the intent of the outing.

Mr. Hancock, I was under the impression that the man with the receding hairline and military fatigues who is putting a pair of sunglasses on, was CIA Western Hemisphere Chief of Political Action, Cuba (C/WH/4/PA), Gerard "Jerry" Droller.

Mr. Josephs has him labeled as "...stood in front of TSBD..."

Has anyone verified that?

Edited by Robert Montenegro

Not to my knowledge,  personally I'm comfortable with the identification of Hemming, Sturgis and Lorenz.  Some of the others may have been indetified in the newspaper coverage but if they were that's beyond my memory at this point,  The other identifications including Ferri et al on the photo are highly speculative as far as I'm concerned.

Given that it was a public INTERPEN public relations gambit to draw donations I can't conceive of what Droller would be there.  At that point Hemming and Sturgis were mostly in fund raising mode.  For what its worth Hemming was very convincing on television, I've seen a couple of his interviews and I might even have donated.