The Education Forum

A New Kennedy Tragedy...

God, this is just horrible.

It never stops for them.

Uh oh, that may be wrong.

The bodies have not been recovered yet it appears from this report.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/maeve-kennedy-townsend-mckean-canoe-accident-search-off_n_5e88a5d1c5b6e7d76c64dfb3

It seems a bit surreal, with Dylan's song just coming out and focusing everyone on the Kennedys again...

It's true that tragedy never seems to stop visiting the family. Be that as it may, having lived for many years in Hampton Roads, traveling the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel and golfing along it shores. you could not pay enough me enough to enter those waters in a canoe.

1 hour ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

It's true that tragedy never seems to stop visiting the family. Be that as it may, having lived for many years in Hampton Roads, traveling the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel and golfing along it shores. you could not pay enough me enough to enter those waters in a canoe.

Same goes for the ocean waters here on the Monterey/Big Sur Coast.

I have lived next to them for 67 years now.

I learned from a very young age, 5-6-7... that the rip tides and swells and undercurrents can pull you out so fast and makes it almost impossible to get back to shore.

I used to play in the water in a few very sheltered beach areas in the calmer weather summer as a boy until teen years where there was not much tidal action. Even there however you could feel the pull back. Many hundreds of people have drowned in our ocean shoreline water in my lifetime.

Almost all people from inland who didn't know the ocean and tidal action at all.

We have a very rocky, rough wave shoreline here.

It's not like Southern California beaches that are just sand and that gradually have deeper water lines from the beach edges.

8 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

I agree. A family member was stationed at Pax Naval Station some time ago and I have spent a little time in that area.  I find the Kennedy family 'explanation' of what they were doing going out in a canoe puzzling, too, to say the least.  

Edited by Pamela Brown

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

That is a relief. I am still in shock over this.  May they rest in peace...

Yo, Pamela, I've been meaning to ask you for some time -- since you and the great Leo Kottke both hail from Minneapolis.

Pardon my impertinence.

Are you, perchance, the same Pamela Brown who once jilted young Leo Kottke?

Kottke used to sing a song called, Pamela Brown, with a chorus;

I guess I owe it all to Pamela Brown,

all of my good times, all of my roaming 'round.

One of these days I might be in your town,

and I guess I owe it all to Pamela Brown.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:55 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Yo, Pamela, I've been meaning to ask you for some time -- since you and the great Leo Kottke both hail from Minneapolis.

Pardon my impertinence.

Are you, perchance, the same Pamela Brown who once jilted young Leo Kottke?

Kottke used to sing a song called, Pamela Brown, with a chorus;

I guess I owe it all to Pamela Brown,

all of my good times, all of my roaming 'round.

One of these days I might be in your town,

and I guess I owe it all to Pamela Brown.

No, I'm not.  But I actually managed to email him when I found out about the song, to tell him that, but he did not reply.

Oddly, when I heard the Dylan song "Rolling Stone" I thought it was about me, as I had just graduated from Bucknell U, Phi Beta Kappa, etc etc, only to find myself homeless on the streets of NYC.  So when I heard him screeching, "How does it feel?" it was just too much.  I tuned him out for a long time.  But I returned recently and wrote a poem from Miss Lonely's point of view (actually, I think that was Edie Sedgwick) and am ok with it now....https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2020/02/29/ballad-of-a-rolling-stone/