The Education Forum

Hale Boggs' FBI Diatribe

I have been trying to locate another source for Hale Boggs saying "the FBI lied it eyes out on everything, Oswald, the gun, everything."

Simkin says its in the Fensterwald/Ewing book, Coincidence or Conspiracy.  I don't have that one does anyone here have it?

There are other places where the quote says, "The FBI lied it eyes out", but not the last part.

Much appreciated if someone can place the whole quote for me.

Edited by James DiEugenio

From my understanding,  there was one set of statements he made in public, and one in private.

He was also enraged because he found out Hoover was keeping files on both the critics and the commissioners.

Your source is this Simkin page?  There may be no footnote to the attribution in the Fensterwald book.

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKboggs.htm

(2) Bernard Fensterwald, Assassination of JFK: Coincidence or Conspiracy (1974)

[...]

Like Russell, Boggs was, very simply, a strong doubter. Several years after his death in 1972, a colleague of his wife Lindy (who was elected to fill her late husband's seat in the Congress) recalled Mrs. Boggs remarking, "Hale felt very, very torn during his work [on the Commission] ... he wished he had never been on it and wished he'd never signed it [the Warren Report]." A former aide to the late House Majority Leader has recently recalled, "Hale always returned to one thing: Hoover lied his eyes out to the Commission - on Oswald, on Ruby, on their friends, the bullets, the gun, you name it... "

Mr. Andrews,

I agree with your assessment; however, it does have a ring of truth in what Bogg's other comments suggest. But without the sourcing, we are left with nothing.

The closest footnote, which wasn't attributed to the quote is the January 27, 1964, meeting published by Weisberg in Whitewash IV, p. 53.

I sense another dead end.

Haven't had those sources out in a few years~grin. 

Dave

I asked Cokie Roberts what she thought caused her father's disappearance. She said, "I have no conspiracy

theories about my father's disappearance." She then launched into a long treatise

about how the plane supposedly was downed by ice on the wings. She said some expert

had filled her in on that. This was at a crowded book signing in Los Angeles, so I had no opportunity for

followup questions. From some hints I gleaned from other interviews, I think she and her mother probably knew Hale Boggs's

death was suspicious and related to his criticism of the Warren Commission and

Hoover but that they were afraid to speak out about it. Roberts instead became a vocal JFK assassination conspiracy denier.

Edited by Joseph McBride

If you take a look at the Hale Boggs page, it does seem to source that comment to Fensterwald' s book.

It actually gives page numbers.  Fensterwald would have capitol hill sources and he would agree to have them remain nameless.

So what I am asking is if anyone has that book.  Its not a common one.

Edited by James DiEugenio

According to Don Jeffries its on page 96.  That is what Don says in Hidden History.

7 hours ago, Dave Curbow said:

Mr. Andrews,

I agree with your assessment; however, it does have a ring of truth in what Bogg's other comments suggest. But without the sourcing, we are left with nothing.

I don't as much doubt that Boggs said it, as that the aide would let it be attributed to him by name.  Plus there is a reputed Agency-connected side to Fensterwald that remains sketchy.

Edited by David Andrews

The Fensterwald book is on Google Books, and there’s a search-the-text option, but for some reason it’s glitchy. A search brings up the relevant page numbers but the usual page preview is screwy and not displaying the actual text results for people to read. Only the page number is visible - but entering the text does bring up a result for page 96, as you noted.

FWIW though, it’s the first half of the quote, about the FBI lying its eyes out, that brings up the positive result from the text search on the Google books page. When I typed the second part, about Oswald, I didn’t get a result.