The Education Forum

Gene Wheaton and Carl Jenkins

In the earliest months of the ARRB, Gene Wheaton contacted its staff with the simple statement that he might be able to offer a lead to them, a lead to someone who might have information on the Kennedy assassination.   Years later Malcolm Blunt found the released records describing the Wheaton contact, referred it to me and Stu Wexler and we did preliminary vetting of the two main names associated with that lead - Carl Jenkins and Rafael Quintero.  Stu also followed up by locating and contacting the main staff member who was in touch with Wheaton. Thanks to newly released CIA documents we were able to corroborate the background of both men, and their role in CIA anti-Castro operations.

Over the following decade, ongoing efforts at crypt cracking and massive document research by Bill Simpich and David Boylan provided us with a totally new look at Carl Jenkins, a man who had an extremely significant role not only in the Cuba Project, but in the new AMWORLD effort that kicked off in 1963.  A man whose operational significance goes far beyond the formerly mysterious figure of David Morales.

Over the last few  years that research led us from Jenkins into a host of names and associations that may be quite relevant to the Kennedy assassination conspiracy. And now thanks to the work of Rex Bradford, that full story - with document links and illustrations - is available online at the Mary Ferrell Foundation.  We urge serous researchers to read and ponder it, both for the new history it reveals and for further leads to the conspiracy.  You will find it at this link:

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Essay_-_The_Wheaton_Lead.html

David and I will both be here to help with questions -  especially David, whose knowledge and ability to recall the intricacies of the names and documents is way beyond mine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, John was early into this...this is one of the first places we discussed the lead that Malcolm had sent me....its amazing how much there was to be learned about not just Jenkins but about  Quintero,  Rodriquez, Carlos Hernandez and a cadre of very expert and experienced paramilitary cadre trained by Jenkins.  Jenkins roles - and that of Robertson - in the Cuba Project were something we really knew nothing about until the Wheaton lead took us into this research.  

Great stuff Larry - thanks for posting it here.

if the Cuban exiles herein, such as Quintero and Felix Rodriguez, were possibly involved in the JFK assassination itself, how high up the chain of command do you think the orders went? I have read that Vice President George Bush was the Reagan Administration point man in support of the  Contra war in the mid 1980’s, and that he didn’t hide his friendship with Felix Rodriguez in particular.

the main issue I have with the theory that Cuban exiles comprised the shooter teams that killed Kennedy is how singularly unsuccessful they were in their main mission to kill Castro. That’s a disconnect for me. As you know I paid close attention to Wheaton when I wrote the Iran - Contra cards, There is a card for Quintero with a Dead Kennedys album on a bookshelf in the background. So for a long time I subscribed to this idea.

Paul, the details of why their efforts failed are in the paper so that should help, on multiple occasions it was more a failure to insert them onto the island in contrast to any failure on their part.  By March of 1963 Cuba was a hugely difficult nut from a security standpoint - Dallas would have been a walk in he park in contrast.  Their paramilitary skills and marksmanship were quite good. It didn't help that for some unknown reason the CIA didn't really activate all its efforts to kill Castro until Feb/March...a much tighter time frame than gets into most discussions.

As to how high up and how the conspiracy evolved, I'm afraid you will have to wait on the conspiracy monograph for my view on that,  just throwing it out without extensive context would not be a sufficient answer.

And Felix did indeed become quite with a number of folks like Bush, but then again those were the people who supported the Contra effort in the face of everything Congress could do to rein in North et al.  

I do think you may find out a few things about Quintero and Rodriquez etc that will be new to you in the paper....hope so at least.

In years gone by I've been known to say Well, then pause before proceeding.  My mother, with a slight grin would say That's a deep subject for a shallow mind, expensive one too.  That's kind of how I feel after reading this.  It's deep., real deep.  I've read several of the names mentioned before, a little about some of those.  Several I've not.  Then there are the different organizations and operations, some in places I've never heard of.  It can be confusing for someone not real familiar with the goings on.  Thanks to you, Stu, Rex and Bill for chasing down so much info and trying to sort it out, for yourselves nd the rest of us.

It was interesting to see the DRE involved in more than propaganda.  I always thought of Oswald being pretty much sheep dipped in regards to them to frame him, which still seems likely.  But, did he really believe he was trying to find out more about their operations?

I did wonder towards the end, how might say Morales or even Joannides have been involved with these people, or not.

I need to re read this, maybe a couple of times and let it sink in a bit. 

Don't feel bad Ron, we had to read it ourselves a number of times while we were organizing it and that was after being engaged with these names for a good long while  - there is no doubt its both deep and complex but this is real history, with multiple people, groups and separate agendas, all crossing each others paths over a half dozen years from 58-64.  And they were all involved in something extremely emotional and deeply personal for all of them.

Not trying to be wordy with the above but emotions were a lot of what was going on and alliances and associations came and went. The reason it is so extensively cited to documents and timelines is that to really get involved with these people you need to read what they were each doing over that period and a good bit of that is either documented or showed up later in their stories about each other.

On DRE, this actually only skims the surface on the DRE aspect, I'll be going into much more detail on that in my upcoming conspiracy monograph, showing multiple links between DRE in New Orleans and JMWAVE personnel in Miami (Joinnides and Morales but others as well)...and some possible links to Dallas as well.

Hang in there, and don't hesitate to ask questions here or to us by messenger or email...

This is fantastic work. I have a question about a doc that is mentioned in the appendix; it is about a boat Morales was contacted about the night of of the assassination and it refers to a CIA Chief of Station named Pacy. As that would have to be a pseudonym, is there any knowledge of the  COS' true name?

Adam,   from time to time Izquierdo has been mentioned as having been in Dallas,  Hemming tagged him as a shooter and he has also been offered up as the driver of the station wagon that picked up either Oswald or someone who looked something like Oswald on Elm Street after the shooting.  Certainly he had the skills, the nerve and the commitment to play almost any operational role in the assault in Dallas.

Matt, I'm going to defer that to David because he is much more up to speed on the crypts and I think he probably knows who the COS in question would have been - I think I do but best to defer to him. Interestingly, that particular doc appears to refer to a boat that someone thought might be useful for JMWAVE maritime ops or possibly for AMWORLD. 

I'll nudge David to respond to your question...

9 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

This is fantastic work. I have a question about a doc that is mentioned in the appendix; it is about a boat Morales was contacted about the night of of the assassination and it refers to a CIA Chief of Station named Pacy. As that would have to be a pseudonym, is there any knowledge of the  COS' true name?

Matt,

Good question! I believe PACY is an acronym for Panama City. The COS for Panama in 1963 was using the pseudonym of  Cornelius Peuvion. 

The timing would be consistent with that,  in December 1963 Artime's new project was heavily involved with sourcing various types of ships and boats for its upcoming operations and those efforts were being carried out by a cover company in Panama - Maritima BAM.  Beginning in the summer of 1963 JMWAVE staff had begun assisting the AMWORLD logistics effort in a variety of start up activities including identifying ships (including its first acquisitions, the Olga Patricia and Joanne) for purchase or lease...one of the JMWAVE staff identified in this new research was a co-worker of Morales and was assigned to AMWORLD to help with logistics although his that cover also enabled him to report on its security practices.

4 hours ago, David Boylan said:

Matt,

Good question! I believe PACY is an acronym for Panama City. The COS for Panama in 1963 was using the pseudonym of  Cornelius Peuvion. 

Hi David- Thanks very much! Seems like an odd time to send a letter about a boat.

29 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Hi David- Thanks very much! Seems like an odd time to send a letter about a boat.

Hi Matt:

Can you send me the MFF link [?] that indicates the sending of this letter regarding a boat? I might be able to shed some light on this from material in my AMWORLD file, but I need to see the document first.

Thanks,

Gary Murr