The Education Forum

Lee Oswald, Cubans and the House on Harlandale – Part II

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Doug,

I don't remember if this was suggested in the article, or I read it somewhere else, but what if it wasn't Oswald who was seen going in and out of the house on Harlandale, but rather, it was John Thomas Masen.

As far as I know, the only witness who said it was Oswald, was Walthers' mother-in-law, and she told Walthers that it was Oswald after seeing him on TV.

It would make a lot of sense if was Masen she saw.

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11250#relPageId=2&tab=page

(see page 3)

ATF Agent Frank Ellsworth sets up a sting operation involving John Thomas Masen.

Masen gets some of his guns from thefts from National Guard armories.

Manuel Rodriguez and George Parrel have approached Masen about buying arms. Masen has told Ellsworth that Rodriguez and Parrel hadve tried to buy bazookas, machine guns, and other heavy equipment from him, had previously made purchases from him, and that they had a large cashe of arms in the Dallas area.

Oswald has been seen entering and leaving a house at 1026 Harlendale St. in Dallas that Orcarberro is renting.

Just as he is about to bust Masen, the FBI and local police swoop in and arrest Miller and Whitter on November 18, 1963.

Ellsworth is forced to prematurely arrest Masen on November 20th.

Could many of us have been wrong all these years?

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

If  you take a look as Mason's photo (which I posted on my web site ages ago) you find that about the only resemblance he has to Lee Oswald is that they would both be Anglos.  Mason has something of a unique facial appearance.  I've always been amazed that Dick Russell wrote that he was a "look alike" for Oswald....and shared that with Dick...grin.

Nevertheless, Mason could have gone to the house. 

It's also important to note that while he was definitely involved in reaching out to his Army business partner (who informed on him) there is more to connect Ruby to the Terrell theft than Mason, at least with Ruby as an intermediary.   As far as Mason goes, the FBI was far more interested in his long time association with sales to the  ultra right including the Minutemen.  

As a rule, I generally take quick, incidental sightings of Oswald prior to the assassination fairly skeptically, because the way people remember someone from brief interactions is usually based around very general traits (weight, hair style), unless there is a defining characteristic that is easy to identify, like a scar, disfigurement or unusual clothing. The reason for that is because prior to the assassination no one had any reason to remember Lee Oswald. This does not apply to those who actually had more than a momentary experience, such as the Odio sisters. So I don't know whether or not the observations of Walther's mother were correct or not, but the idea of Oswald poking around anti-Castro meetings is most certainly IN character for him and easy to believe. To the public eye, there is a giant hole in the investigative timeline with regard to those 6 weeks prior to the assassination regarding what Oswald did while in Dallas and I have always thought that a lot answers exist there.

I was disappointed in this follow up.

I mean, Dale Meyers, as a credible source?

2 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

As a rule, I generally take quick, incidental sightings of Oswald prior to the assassination fairly skeptically, because the way people remember someone from brief interactions is usually based around very general traits (weight, hair style), unless there is a defining characteristic that is easy to identify, like a scar, disfigurement or unusual clothing. The reason for that is because prior to the assassination no one had any reason to remember Lee Oswald. This does not apply to those who actually had more than a momentary experience, such as the Odio sisters. So I don't know whether or not the observations of Walther's mother were correct or not, but the idea of Oswald poking around anti-Castro meetings is most certainly IN character for him and easy to believe. To the public eye, there is a giant hole in the investigative timeline with regard to those 6 weeks prior to the assassination regarding what Oswald did while in Dallas and I have always thought that a lot answers exist there.

I've wondered about his activities in those six weeks before myself.  First, I do believe someone was impersonating him, setting him up in Dallas, from the test drive, to the shooting range to the Odido sisters (was it the Real Lee or not?).  But beyond these sighting's of likely someone else, where was he, what was he doing? 

He checked out a book, that went over due then turned up in February (?) unexplained.  Did he go home and read every night after work?  Did anyone ask Earlene Roberts if he usually came home and turned in early? 

I recall a story of a waitress remembering him eating breakfast, maybe regularly at some café.  I should probably re read the WC info on him.

Wasn't he MIA from the Paine house the weekend before the assassination?  Also another weekend 3-4 weekends before?  I.E. maybe a third of those considered?  Did he call and tell Marina I need to run back to NO, or I'm going ... , tell the girl's I love them?   Did the WC ask Marina or Ruth about this?  I don't remember.  If not, why not?

I guess my point is I don't remember the WC digging much into his after work activities or the "missing' weekends.  Important information they didn't want to know regarding a possible conspiracy .