• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

There was a great demonstration in LA today.  I mean great.

It went on for blocks on end.  Peaceful, no vandalism not looting.

Someone put it on FB. Take a look. 

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

There was a great demonstration in LA today.  I mean great.

It went on for blocks on end.  Peaceful, no vandalism not looting.

Someone put it on FB. Take a look. 

There's a demonstration scheduled for this Thursday here in my hometown. The aim is to have a Confederate statue removed from the county courthouse lawn.

They also want to have an oak tree removed from the lawn. A spokeswoman says (and this was news to me) that oak trees have a background of being used for lynchings, and are thus what she calls a symbol of hate.

That statue has been around for longer than I have, and I remember playing on that oak tree. (As Tom Jones sang years ago, "And there's that old oak that I used to play on.") It looks like the statue's time has come. And I guess I won't mind them removing the oak tree, since it's been a long time since I played in a tree. Plus I wouldn't want to wind up like the guy that Jones sang about:

Yes, they'll all come to see me
In the shade of that old oak tree
As they lay me 'neath the green, green grass of home

They also want to have an oak tree removed from the lawn. A spokeswoman says (and this was news to me) that oak trees have a background of being used for lynchings, and are thus what she calls a symbol of hate.

Executing trees now.  Oy!

Edited by David Andrews

20 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Executing trees now.  Oy!

A rather ironic fate for a lynching tree.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

The Confederate statues are a disgrace.  They were put up during the GIlded Age by this group Daughters of the Confederacy, which was designed to promote the Lost Cause.

No matter how much he denies it,  Ken Burns also  promoted that with the late Shelby Foote by giving him so much screen time in his series. Burns made Foote a millionaire and sold tens of thousands of his books which were designed to do just that.  Therefore, the issues never came up at that time since Foote was disguising it.  

Now this is interesting.  I think this is correct about the Insurrection Act.  

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mark-esper-insurrection-act-trump_n_5ed7b332c5b6489c7fdd26ef

43 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

The Confederate statues are a disgrace.  They were put up during the GIlded Age by this group Daughters of the Confederacy, which was designed to promote the Lost Cause.

No matter how much he denies it,  Ken Burns also  promoted that with the late Shelby Foote by giving him so much screen time in his series. Burns made Foote a millionaire and sold tens of thousands of his books which were designed to do just that.  Therefore, the issues never came up at that time since Foote was disguising it.  

The only thing I remember about Burns' series on the Civil War is the music score. I think it was the first time I ever heard "Lorena." Beautiful song. The only modern recordings I know of were by Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings.

Trump is taking U.S. democracy to the breaking point. I saw what happens next in Venezuela.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/03/trump-is-taking-us-democracy-breaking-point-i-saw-what-happens-next-venezuela/?itid=hp_opinions-abtest-control_opinion-card-g-right%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

You can also look at it this way:

Choosing one comprehensive book to base the series on, and one book author to provide the bulk of commentary, is a practical move, financially.  It's akin to Oliver Stone using Jim Marrs' Crossfire as the text of all non-Garrison conspiracy information in JFK, since the Marrs book is a compendium of multiple researcher and witness accounts of the JFKA and related matters.

Choosing southerner Shelby Foote might be seen as a way to avoid letting the victors write the history.  Foote was, however, accompanied by commentary from Eric Foner, Ed Bearss, and other historians.

Burns gave the last word in the series to African-American historian Barbara Fields, who opined that "the Civil War is not over."  This message was not lost on the media, nor on viewers of the series, including some I exchanged views with.

I agree that the Civil War is not over, but The Civil War is over.  In 2007 I showed a good deal of the last episode of the series to introduce a community college US History II class I taught.  Afterward, I was surprised to find that not only had none of the young people never heard of the series, but none of the half -dozen adults had heard of it, either.

It is probable that the original series could not be re-run in present times without tweaking and reshoots accommodating recent developments in race relations.  However one may feel about Burns' later projects, such as Vietnam, The Civil War opened television to a new era in documentary history, and created a boom in presenting public history at museums and historical sites.  Disdain for its ignorance of the meaning of Confederate iconography and of continuing oppression of African-Americans can't dim its treatment of slavery itself, the best to date in any documentary not devoted to the institution.

Edited by David Andrews

I always find any romanticizing of the Civil War perverse, even sickening.

40,000 men lined up against each other and told to just blow the hell out of each other.

10,000 - 15,000 dead bodies stacked on top of each other plus thousands of screaming in pain wounded by the end of the day.

For what?    

A small minority of wealthy land and slave owning Southerners organizing brainwashing campaigns to get the huge majority of non-wealthy Southern boys and men worked up with songs and uniforms and guns and flags and heroes enough to be willing to risk their lives fighting and killing their fellow Northern country boys and men ( almost all from the same working class and 2nd or 3rd generation European heritage ) ... to protect these rich men's interests?

Songs of new made up sentiments and brotherhood loyalties, sharp uniforms, colors, flags, fun marching to cheer leading drum beats, medals, field promotions, peach pies and pretty Southern belle girl friends and wives in waitin'?

What percentage of pre-war Southern white boys and men actually owned any land let alone an acre or two or three and could afford even one slave before the war?

Most were as poor or working class as Northern boys and young men.

But, tell them they must fight for the "honor" and "glory" of their now rich caring for the poor homeland South with pretty Southern Belles in waiting.

Get them singing new made up separate value and culture Southern patriotic songs with commitments to "live and DIE in Dixie":

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten, (Alt Original: Cinnamon seed and sandy bottom,)
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin',
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie

And thirty others!

Then there's the "Hero" worship brainwashing. 
I'll kill for Bobby Lee, Jeff Davis ...
and my rich land and slave owner aristocracy brethren who will probably reward us poor Southern boys with land and slaves of our own if we win. Yeah, right.

Poor and barely makin' it Southern white men and boys who did survive the war were just as poor and barely makin' it after the war. But, they had their new brotherhood identity and glory and honor fighting for their new heroes Bobby Lee, Jeff Davis, Stonewall Jackson and mannered, privileged  Southern Belles they didn't have before the war.

It takes a lot of money, work, planning and implementation to mentally work up one group of people to be willing to kill others who are basically just like them.

You have to use brainwashing techniques to make men do this ultimate act of rage who previously hadn't even thought of it.

You have to demonize your intended kill targets. You have to convince your new killers that if they don't kill their new enemies they will be killed by them. You have to give your new killing machine fodder a pride and feeling of brotherhood they didn't have before with songs and sayings and shared uniforms flags and heroes. Give them a sense and promise of rewards after their killing campaigns are over.

And even more pathetic is the 160 years of continued romanticizing of that manipulation of poor and non-wealthy Southern White boys to kill shared heritage others just like them ( and separated only by hundreds of miles of residency ) by a small group of Southern wealth ( albeit with some interference and self interests of the English aristocracy ) that is as irrational, phony, meaningless, empty, and self-deluding and damaging now as it was in it's original creation.

Edited by Joe Bauer

As I have said, what should have happened at the end of the Civil War was what Sherman actually wanted to do, and many of the newly liberated slaves thought was going to happen.

The huge plantations should have been divided up, and partitioned and given to the former slaves, since that was all they knew at that time.

And the occupying army was too small and there for not nearly long enough a period of time.

Lincoln's assassination was a national tragedy.  Reconstruction was an utter failure.

https://kennedysandking.com/reviews/the-kennedys-and-civil-rights-how-the-msm-continues-to-distort-history-part-1

Edited by James DiEugenio

Rob,

With your rapier-like political wit, you might appreciate this one.

Q.  Why did the chicken cross the road?

A.  To pose for a photo op at St. John's Episcopal Church.  🤪

16 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Offended by an Oak tree.

The Onion couldn’t have come up with a better story.

As Robert Downey Jr said in Tropic Thunder, “Never go full retard.”

Well, maybe it was the one Oswald shot through to kill Kennedy?

Edited by James DiEugenio