The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

There seems to be a bit of hand-wringing on cable news over the fact 40% of the country regards the White House as stolen.

So what?  In 2000 and 2016 40% of us regarded the White House stolen.

We had to just suck it up and carry on, and that’s what the Right will do too.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Dennis Berube said:

I personally do not believe the big media companies have any sense of patriotic duty and reject that notion wholeheartedly.

I'm mainly familiar with the coverage on CNN. In my view CNN covered most of Trump's administration with great restraint. It took them forever to stop beating around the bush and call Trump just what he is, a xxxx. That will be x'ed out here, of course, but the word means prevaricator, I guess that word is okay. He's a constant, pathological xxxx and CNN finally said it. Maybe my term "patriotic duty" was not the right one to use. Try the term "just telling the truth." Reporting facts, not Trump fantasies. Labeling constant falsehoods for what they are. I think that's fairly sound journalism. And IMO a shameless pathological xxxx in the White House is not exactly good for the country. In fact it's downright dangerous. But that's just my patriotic opinion.

5 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Am I reading this right?  Possibly a few republican lawyers with a conscience?  Is lawyer and conscience an oxymoron (Jim Lesar excepted).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-campaign-lawyers-worry-about-pushing-lawsuits-that-could-undermine-election-report/ar-BB1aQUCp?li=BBnb7Kz

Ron,

No, they are worried about not getting paid. If you read the Disclaimer, at least 40% of the money being raised for his legal efforts can be used to pay down his campaign debts. "Overhead" and "Administrative purposes." i.e. Kimberley Guilfoyle and Lara Trump's $150,000 a year salaries.

Trump and his people will string this election out as long as they can.

Steve Thomas

Trump push to fight election uses courts in attempt to legitimize unfounded claims

by Katelyn Polantz, CNN November 9, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/politics/election-trump-court-push-claims/index.html

“On Monday night, the Trump campaign brought a new lawsuit in federal court that seeks to stop the Pennsylvania secretary of state from certifying Biden's win and the 20 electoral votes he's set to receive there. Experts say the newest case is very unlikely to succeed, especially because it seeks to invalidate millions of votes cast in good faith in Pennsylvania.

"This is the sort of desperation, throw the kitchen sink at the wall and see what sticks strategy," said Ben Ginsberg, a longtime Republican elections lawyer who's a CNN analyst.

The new case, he said, appears to take a novel approach to contest Biden's win -- as "an attempt to bollox up the certification of results so there's no winner declared, and that lets the Pennsylvania Legislature name the slate of electors," Ginsberg said.”

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/the-electoral-college.aspx

Dec. 8, 2020: Deadline for Resolving Election Disputes. All state recounts and court contests over presidential election results must be completed by this date. (3 U.S.C. § 5). For the majority of states the date of certification is the same as for all contests, but in eight states there is a deadline that either directly references 3 USC §5 or uses similar language, requiring that disputes surrounding the selection of presidential electors be resolved in time to meet the “safe harbor” deadline: Indiana, Iowa, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. For detailed information on state post-election processes, please visit this page.

Steve Thomas

In all of the hullabaloo surrounding the Presidential election, we've forgotten the really important news that's been going on around us. To whit: the new Miss USA was crowned Monday night. She was Miss Mississippi.

(Say that three times really fast)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-miss-usa-asya-branch-loves-guns-and-performed-at-a-trump-rally?ref=home

“Reigning Miss Mississippi USA Asya Branch secured the coveted title against the blinding backdrop of the sparkling, rhinestone-encrusted masks of her fellow contestants (chosen to match their equally shiny Sherri Hill gowns, of course).”

“The 22-year-old Ole Miss grad made history when she became the first Black Miss Mississippi in 2018. In her introductory video at the beginning of the Miss USA broadcast, she spoke about her passion for criminal justice reform, citing her participation in a roundtable on the subject with President Trump

Here she is at that important roundtable. See her down in the corner with her cute little crown?

Isn't that precious?

Briefing books? She and Jared and Mike P. don't need no stinking briefing books.

image.png.7f21581125de3c7d8d8b13f93fe3faaf.png

Steve Thomas

“Minnesota get out and vote!!!” Trump wrote in a tweet that was hastily deleted shortly after being published.

image.png.d2ba45c6a07ce2eb3a2632650c89a5b0.png

"Trump’s tweet was instantly ridiculed — and many Twitter users reignited the debate over whether he or Donald Trump Jr. was the “dumber” Trump son."

I wonder if Bill Barr should be notified of this attempted voter fraud...

Steve Thomas

8 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

I'm mainly familiar with the coverage on CNN. In my view CNN covered most of Trump's administration with great restraint. It took them forever to stop beating around the bush and call Trump just what he is, a xxxx. That will be x'ed out here, of course, but the word means prevaricator, I guess that word is okay. He's a constant, pathological xxxx and CNN finally said it. Maybe my term "patriotic duty" was not the right one to use. Try the term "just telling the truth." Reporting facts, not Trump fantasies. Labeling constant falsehoods for what they are. I think that's fairly sound journalism. And IMO a shameless pathological xxxx in the White House is not exactly good for the country. In fact it's downright dangerous. But that's just my patriotic opinion.

Totally agree.

A week later and the angry calls to my little daily newspaper are increasing with heightened vitriol. Of course we don't even cover national and international news, just use a limited amount of Associated Press content to fill holes.

Nonetheless, had to write an extensive memo for our reception desk and news department on how to deal with people who have been radicalized by the rightwing noise machine and their cult membership. I've been dealing with this for years.

Basically said to just remain calm, let them vent and not to engage them in debate. They don't want to debate, they just want to scream at the media for reporting something different than what they know the evidence-free truth to be.  Thank them for the input and tell them they'll pass it along to the higherups, but most of the time they don't get that far. They just say what they want to say and slam the phone down. 

It's stressful, particularly so for people who aren't used to having abuse heaped upon them.

We run some syndicated columnists on our editorial page -- largely conservative ones -- and we're even under attack for them.

Conservative is no longer enough. You have to go "full retard"  or you are the enemy.

At my last paper I had the local police come in and conduct a class on what to do in the event of a shooter coming in. Fortunately, coronavirus has forced us to lock our doors and not a lot of concern at the moment on that front.

I suspect it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Well, he wasn't a xxxx about this.  It was his endgame in packing the Court, and now it's part of his Scorched Earth policy:

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/10/932441334/will-supreme-court-invalidate-obamacare-a-decade-after-it-was-enacted

Just because I can't afford ACA insurance doesn't mean I want others, many with pre-existing conditions, to be denied.

What could be good news, It seems the Supreme court is backing down from a wholesale rejection of Obamacare.

It looks like a sizable amount of the Republicans are following Trump's lead like sheep.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/poll-70-percent-of-republicans-dont-think-the-election-was-free-and-fair/ar-BB1aQH3N?li=BBnb7Kz

Anti-democracy ‘Stop the Steal’ activists plan DC ‘March for Trump’ to ‘urge’ him to not concede

By David Badash November 10, 2020

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/anti-democracy-stop-the-steal-activists-plan-dc-march-for-trump-to-urge-him-to-not-concede/

“The people behind the fake “stop the steal” movement are planning another way to unite far right extremists: a “March for Trump” in Washington, D.C. on Saturday.”

“A reporter from the right wing Daily Caller admits the Trump campaign is pushing the event:

Just got this in a text from a Trump campaign official. A March for Trump on November 14 at 12pm ET: pic.twitter.com/zRRyo5olbV
— Henry Rodgers (@henryrodgersdc) November 9, 2020
“Claiming “Big Tech” has “censored” them , organizers are charging participants a $3 per ticket “donation,” they say, “to stop the left from high jacking [sic] our Eventbrite account and to give us a direct way to communicate with you.””
Hey, may as well make a few bucks while you're at it, you know.
Steve Thomas

It looks like Trump is trying to Bush v. Gore the vote count in Pennsylvania, where Biden now leads by 47,000 votes with 51,000 votes left to count... 

Trump campaign files new election lawsuit in Pennsylvania

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/525224-trump-campaign-files-new-election-lawsuit-in-pennsylvania

Edited by W. Niederhut

13 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

There seems to be a bit of hand-wringing on cable news over the fact 40% of the country regards the White House as stolen.

So what?  In 2000 and 2016 40% of us regarded the White House stolen.

We had to just suck it up and carry on, and that’s what the Right will do too.

You'd think after losing 6 out of the last 7 Presidential elections by the popular vote. They could be more gracious.

Well put, Cliff, You're right, except over 50% of us regarded the White House stolen.

And what has been the effect of the non popularly elected Presidents? The 2 worst Presidents in the last 100 years, Bush  through pursuing a costly, elective War in Iraq that he wasn't he was under no political pressure to start.  And then Trump, with what can easily be considered the worst crisis handling in our countries history involving the corona virus pandemic.