The Education Forum

The Cabin at the Lake

I'm not making this up I promise.  Just this in a sense kind of how it all started for me.

We moved to Grapevine, 20 miles N/W of Dallas for the second half of my senior year in 1974.  Where my great grandad moved to in 1893.  A new friend there in 74-75 mentioned a cabin on lake Grapevine where Lee Oswald stayed or hid out before the JFK assassination.  I asked, in my naiveity, why would the guy who shot the president stay way out here in the middle of no where.  He said I don't know but you want to see it?  Sure.

We went then, that night.  It was abandoned.   I later noticed it wasn't noticeable from the road unless you were looking for it even in daylight, all faded reddish horizontal small stripped log construction.  It blended in with the surrounding woods.   It was fairly large, 30-40 W X 20-30 deep, not a very high roof.  The door was open, literally about a third of the way. The moon was out.  So we went in.  A big open room with two bedrooms along the back wall, a counter and sink on the left.  I don't remember a bathroom, maybe they used the woods and lake.  Still a very few odd bits of furniture left.  We went back once, my friend thought an end table would work well in his apartment.

There is now a near or over quarter million dollar home on the site.  Given what I have learned over the years I have to wonder.  Oswald was MIA the weekend before as well as one other after he came back from NOLA.  It would have accommodated 4-8 or more easily with room for daytime or evening visitors, an area to discuss plans.

Then again I don't think Oswald knew what was up until after it happened, he wasn't involved in the planning.

But it helped me pay more attention to the newspaper and magazine articles, the tv features on the subject.

Edited by Ron Bulman

7 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'm not making this up I promise.  Just this in a sense kind of how it all started for me.

We moved to Grapevine, 20 miles N/W of Dallas for the second half of my senior year in 1974.  Where my great grandad moved to in 1893.  A new friend there in 74-75 mentioned a cabin on lake Grapevine where Lee Oswald stayed or hid out before the JFK assassination.  I asked, in my naiveity, why would the guy who shot the president stay way out here in the middle of no where.  He said I don't know but you want to see it?  Sure.

We went then, that night.  It was abandoned.   I later noticed it wasn't noticeable from the road unless you were looking for it even in daylight, all faded reddish horizontal small stripped log construction.  It blended in with the surrounding woods.   It was fairly large, 30-40 W X 20-30 deep, not a very high roof.  The door was open, literally about a third of the way. The moon was out.  So we went in.  A big open room with two bedrooms along the back wall, a counter and sink on the left.  I don't remember a bathroom, maybe they used the woods and lake.  Still a very few odd bits of furniture left.  We went back once, my friend thought an end table would work well in his apartment.

There is now a near or over quarter million dollar home on the site.  Given what I have learned over the years I have to wonder.  Oswald was MIA the weekend before as well as one other after he came back from NOLA.  It would have accommodated 4-8 or more easily with room for daytime or evening visitors, an area to discuss plans.

Then again I don't think Oswald knew what was up until after it happened, he wasn't involved in the planning.

But it helped me pay more attention to the newspaper and magazine articles, the tv features on the subject.

Did you ask your friend how he knew the alleged assassin hid out in that cabin?

Ron,

A Ruby employee named Odell “James” Estes told the FBI he saw Lee Oswald at the Carousel Club many times during his employment there, including in Jack Ruby’s office.  He said he once drove Oswald to Love Field and even took two overnight fishing trips with Oswald to a lakeside cabin near Mineral Wells.  He described lengthy talks with this Oswald.  Since he (Estes) stopped working at the Carousel Club on Sept. 2, he was quite certain that the two fishing trips, just a week apart, were both in August 1963.  This, of course, was the same time frame that Classic Oswald® was in New Orleans pretending to be a Castro-loving commie.

From looking at Google Maps, Mineral Wells appears to be about 70 miles west of Grapevine.

Despite this depiction of Oswald being in New Orleans and Dallas simultaneously, an FBI cover memo states that Estes was “willing to submit to a polygraph examination” and “talked very coherently and did not evidence the mannerisms frequently associated with a mentally disturbed individual.”  It should be noted that although the 1977 FBI report indicated Estes was “80 percent blind,” in 1963 he could see well enough to drive a car.

I just posted this in another thread, but it appears to be quite relevant here.  A 10-page report on Odell Estes’ FBI interview can be read on the Mary Ferrell site at the link below:

Odell Estes Interview

12 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Did you ask your friend how he knew the alleged assassin hid out in that cabin?

No.  At that time all I knew was what I'd been taught in school, the official story.  Never heard of Mark Lane or Sylvia Megaher in 1975/75.  Way over my head at the time.  As I mentioned I wondered why the Commie killer of the president would be hiding out in the sticks at the time at Grapevine lake.  I was quite ignorant then of the bigger picture, much less pursuit of Truth.