The Education Forum

Dylan Does Have a Lot on His Mind, But the NYT Didn't Want to Talk About It

Why does Morley question why "presidential historian" Doug Brinkley doesn't dare utter the word "conspiracy" in interviewing conspiracy theorist Dylan about "Murder Most Foul"?

Every "presidential historian" that I'm aware of avoids the word like the plague, unless it's just to dismiss the notion. Morley should be perfectly aware of the fact (though he doesn't mention it) that the reputations and careers of "presidential historians" depend on their adherence to the official story, which is they adhere to it. It's not because they're stupid, though Morley pretends to wonder why Brinkley asks Dylan stupid questions not related to any conspiracy.

"Presidential historians" might even change the known facts about the assassination. As I recall, "presidential historian" Robert Dallek wrote, in his book "An Unfinished Life," that JFK was shot "in the lower neck." Well, I guess you could say that, if you consider the upper back to be the lower neck. I have to assume that Dallek used to the word "neck" so as not to deviate from the single bullet theory. Who knows? All we know is that Dallek, like Brinkley in his interview of Dylan, was protecting his reputation and career. 

Edited by Ron Ecker