The Education Forum

Why I am a member of the Forum

I'm glad to see so many of you joined for the same reason I did: the excellent forum on the JFK assassination. If informed people can meet this way and try to piece together what really happened, perhaps we'll have a more viable version of history to pass on to our children. It certainly says something about the Internet that educators and scholars can exchange ideas about important topics without the politics, vanity, and lethargy of what have become the traditional ways of "getting published."   

I've always liked Rudolf Augstein's quote about the JFK assassination. He was the editor of the great German magazine DER SPIEGEL and died in 2002. He said, "The assassination of JFK is the most important political assassination since Julius Caesar."

Good post!--except I believe many members of the Forum would agree that the assassination of Abraham Lincoln ranks up there too!

• 1 month later...

Hi -

I'm brand new here, but not brand new to the JFK assassination debate.

ICW the Lincoln assassination, I think the controversial parts of that that remain to this day are twofold: was Booth really killed or did he get away? AND how much were the South and/or political interests in the North involved?

I've read most of the books on the JFK assassination and even scanned a lot of the Warren Commission Report. I don't know if David Wrone is a member of this Forum but he did a great job on summing up where we're at in his recent book: "The Zapruder Film." I've always held the WCR to be bad science and bad logic, but now some of the motives are clearer. And some of the other name brand books on the assassination are truly "off the wall."

I've just ordered the digitized DVD version of the Zapruder Film. I want to see what I can see on it. I'm particularly interested in frame 225; there's a nearly invisible streak downwards towards JFK and Gov C. It's probably an artifact in the printing in the book, but I want to see if it's on the digital film version of that frame.

This sounds like an interesting forum, and I will be back often.

Regards,

Dave

David Bodner

Manlius, NY, USA

crumblinggorge@yahoo.com

• 5 months later...

Hi all

I am glad Steve Turner issued an invitation to a number of those of us who are interested in the Whitechapel murders to come over to Education Forum. Having done so, I find there is much more here that interests me besides the always lively debate on Who Was Jack the Ripper? -- a question that in all likelihood will never be satisfactorily settled. Namely, I have been able to think about other problems in history such as the JFK assassination, and, as I have just posted on, whether to celebrate the Battle of Trafalgar... to which I, as a military historian (as well as a Ripperologist!), say, yes, most definitely, because all history is important, and all history holds lessons for those who follow.

In terms of the JFK assassination debate, by the way, I have some opinions on those photographs that were taken, allegedly in daylight, in the Texas Book Depository with the blacked out (night time?) window, and I have been looking for the thread to post my ideas. Could someone please direct me to the thread, which I believe had links to a site with the pictures taken of Oswald's supposed "sniper's nest" in the Depository. Thanks!

All my best

Chris

Edited by Christopher T. George

In terms of the JFK assassination debate, by the way, I have some opinions on those photographs that were taken, allegedly in daylight, in the Texas Book Depository with the blacked out (night time?) window, and I have been looking for the thread to post my ideas.  Could someone please direct me to the thread, which I believe had links to a site with the pictures taken of Oswald's supposed "sniper's nest" in the Depository. 

Chris, start a new thread on this topic.

I joined the forum primarily for the discussion on the JFK assassination and I find it a great resource for a young person such as myself beginning to fathom the political climate of the 60's .

Because of the forum I have come to learn that an interest in the assassination is not enough to solve it, but to truly understand you must learn about the culture and politics of the time which to me now seems a million miles away.

I return every day because there are so many interesting and intelligent people discussing topics that may bore others but are genuinely fascinating to those who take interest in the assassination.

The forum has come to shape some of my political views and is also a place to vent my frustration at the world!

John Geraghty

• 1 year later...
My main hope is that more people would post more often. Please let me know how you think this can be achieved.

The only way to do that is to design a process where recruiting never stops.

Leadership by example is critical. The forum leaders by virtue of their existence as the leaders inadvertently set the tone of the forum based on the quality of their posts and replies -- with the attitude behind their posts and replies being the most critical factor.

Having an off-topic section seems to help, a place where members can chit-chat after hours. Encourages free-style writing, which keeps your team loose, which is what you want on game day.

Personal attacks need to be erased, and disinformation artists need to be banned, no exceptions.

As a corollary to that, a solid registration process controls the point of contact between the front door and the outside world.

Finally, begin with the end in mind. Any successful team is based on a core of key players surrounded by an outer layer of interchangeable players. Building your memberlist to that point of self-aware perpetuity is the key, and it's the key in any team situation, not just forums. The reason "in any team situation" is because the human element never changes. Simple.

Simple but not easy. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
Guest Kathryn Foong

Hi all,

The reason why I wanted to be a member of this forum is because I'm passionate about trying to set up a teacher's organisation in Australia. What I'll like to set up (with others) is a resource centre where teachers can share materials, experiences and discussions with each other: a bit like what this board is doing but have a facility where people can upload/download materials they use in the classroom easily. I want to also create an avenue where teachers can get useful training which they can use towards ongoing professional development / accreditation. The avenue can also be used for teachers to express their opinions of how they think the teaching industry should be heading. This will also be leading towards recognising dedicated/great teachers through awards and hopefully renumeration. Within this organisation, it is hoped that a tutoring facility will be set up so this can be available for all students and teachers who want to earn some extra money.

It's still in the very early stages of development but that's the major goals. It will be great to hear some of your inputs as to what you all think of this. We wish to create something which is useful for all teachers.

The reason why I wanted to be a member of this forum is because I'm passionate about trying to set up a teacher's organisation in Australia. What I'll like to set up (with others) is a resource centre where teachers can share materials, experiences and discussions with each other: a bit like what this board is doing but have a facility where people can upload/download materials they use in the classroom easily. I want to also create an avenue where teachers can get useful training which they can use towards ongoing professional development / accreditation. The avenue can also be used for teachers to express their opinions of how they think the teaching industry should be heading. This will also be leading towards recognising dedicated/great teachers through awards and hopefully renumeration. Within this organisation, it is hoped that a tutoring facility will be set up so this can be available for all students and teachers who want to earn some extra money.

It's still in the very early stages of development but that's the major goals. It will be great to hear some of your inputs as to what you all think of this. We wish to create something which is useful for all teachers.

This sounds like a great idea. In fact, Andy and I have always wanted this forum to become a place where teachers can upload and download teaching materials.

This is probably not the best place to discuss this issue. I have therefore reposted it in the E-Learning section.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8654

It has been a long time since I looked at this thread. I am surprised that so few JFK assassination posters put down their thoughts here.

I joined this forum to expand my own knowledge and to expand my own community and have been very successful in this. I have made several very close friends here on the forum. One was just here for 8 days- Terry Mauro, who introduced me to another researcher pal who was here 5 days (Scot Myers). We got in a lot of music, but even more conspiracy discussion.

I love that this forum is international and that so many people in many across- the -pond countries are so astute in their opinions/knowledge of this case.

I have also enjoyed seeing new members add new information from which I have learned a lot. My only regret is that since joining the forum over two years ago I have only read two books on this subject. I need to change that.

Dawn