The Education Forum

JFK motorcade Ireland 63

Here is a photo of jfks motorcade through the streets of Cork in early 1963. the follow up car in dallas was the car kennedy used in ireland.

john

Nice photo John; a keeper:

As I noted in a recent post in my seminar, Painting Castro Red: I "remember June, 1963 as the month JFK made his last trip to Europe, where the crowds in each country went virtually berserk with idolotry for the leader of the free world, most interestingly in Berlin. As with the contrast in a few short years between the receptions received by JFK and V.P. Nixon in Venezuela, Kennedy was far more popular globally than he was in his own country, where the civil rights struggle and the residue of McCarthyistic anticommunism had his popularity ratings very low."

Of course, none of the other countries' receptions compared to Ireland. I named my eldest daughter with JFK's parting words about returning to dear "Shannon" in mind.

Tim Carroll

Of course, none of the other countries' receptions compared to Ireland. I named my eldest daughter with JFK's parting words about returning to dear "Shannon" in mind.

very nice tim, the area around the shannon is a very beautiful place. shannon airport is curently being used as a stopover for us troops on the way to iraq, it is also believed that it is a stopover for prisoners to guantanamo bay. i intend to have a closer look at jfks motorcade in ireland as there is a wealth of information in my college library on the topic. there is a story that a few cubans were overheard plotting to kill jfk in cork, im not sure if its a hoax or not. i emailed chris scally about it earlier this year and he seems to think its a hoax. the story is contained in the book 'the kennedy resurrection' by t.p. o mahony, an irish journalist. its a fabulous book, im not sure if he is still alive but i will try to contact him.

john

Here is a photo of jfks motorcade through the streets of Cork in early 1963. the follow up car in dallas was the car kennedy used in ireland.

john

I think this photo more than adequately illustrates my point, in another thread, that the security in Dallas was no less than the security JFK had in Key West on November 26, 1962 and in Miami on November 18, 1963; to which we can now add Ireland in early 1963.

It is a great photo, John!

I think this photo more than adequately illustrates my point, in another thread, that the security in Dallas was no less than the security JFK had in Key West on November 26, 1962 and in Miami on November 18, 1963; to which we can now add Ireland in early 1963.

Tim Gratz:

The Ireland photo illustrates your point only if it can be shown that people were allowed to hang out of open windows.

Tim Carroll

Tim Gratz:

The Ireland photo illustrates your point only if it can be shown that people were allowed to hang out of open windows.

Tim Carroll

Not necessarily; Kennedy could have been shot at close range with a pistol or a revolver (obviously). I have seen (but have not located) a photo of JFK touring Hawaii in an open car (of course) with people literally hanging out of windows.

fletcher prouty seems to state that it was highly important to have all the windows closed along the parade route, im sure this was probably given priority. I shall have a look into it, there are a few books on the irish trip and im sure one of them covers security.

aparently there was a red chocolate bar thrown on the bonnet of the motorcade car once (in florida if im not mistaken) and it was thought to be a stick of dynamite!

john

on closer inspection of the photo, there are people hanging out of the windows along the route, though i must say that cork would have been a lot more difficult to police at that time, and at the risk of sounding anti-cork (!) they can be a bit ignorant from time to time. it cant have been easy to control an area so tightly compacted such as that. Ireland was not seen as a threatening place (irish terrorism had not really taken off at that point), dallas was. it would be interesting to see the protection in berlin and other places that may have been 'hotspots'.

I will get some specific numbers of secret serive etc when im back at college.

john

on closer inspection of the photo, there are people hanging out of the windows along the route, though i must say that cork would have been a lot more difficult to police at that time, and at the risk of sounding anti-cork (!) they can be a bit ignorant from time to time. it cant have been easy to control an area so tightly compacted such as that. Ireland was not seen as a threatening place (irish terrorism had not really taken off at that point), dallas was. it would be interesting to see the protection in berlin and other places that may have been 'hotspots'.

I  will get some specific numbers of secret serive etc when im back at college.

john

Here is a great photo of Kennedy in Berlin on June 26, 1963. There are motorcycle police officers on either side to keep the spectators on the parade route at a greater distance than in Ireland but note the white stuff coming down. It's confetti, being thrown from open windows.

Edited by Tim Gratz

john

Here is another photo of JFK in Berlin. The date was June 28, 1963. The source of the photo (Corbis) states: "Earlier in the day the preesident was almost crushed by Irish fans seeking to shake his hand. He declined military relief, stating, "It's all right, these are my people."

Tim Gratz:

Tim Carroll

Here is a photo of JFK in Berlin on June 26, 1963. Note the crowds within feet of him and the open windows.

john

Here is Pres Kennedy in Galway, Ireland on June 29, 1963. Note the open windows. and no secret service agents on running boards.

Security striiping in Dallas? The Dallas motorcade seems no different than the ones in Key West, Miami, Ireland and Berlin!

Tim Gratz:

Tim Carroll

Here is the Kennedy motorcade in Naples, Italy in July of 1963. Are those open windows I see? Add Naples to the list. please.

Here is another photo of JFK in Berlin.  The date was June 28, 1963.  The source of the photo (Corbis) states: "Earlier in the day the preesident was almost crushed by Irish fans seeking to shake his hand.  He declined military relief, stating, "It's all right, these are my people."

Was JFK in Berlin both June 26 and 28? The crush of the crowds, unlike anything seen before or since, demonstrates how Europeans felt JFK had defended the seemingly indefensible Western World he'd been bequeathed just over two short years earlier.

Tim Carroll

Edited by Tim Carroll