The Education Forum

JFK motorcade Ireland 63

Here is another photo of JFK in Berlin.  The date was June 28, 1963.  The source of the photo (Corbis) states: "Earlier in the day the preesident was almost crushed by Irish fans seeking to shake his hand.  He declined military relief, stating, "It's all right, these are my people."

Was JFK in Berlin both June 26 and 28? The crush of the crowds, unlike anything seen before or since, demonstrates how Europeans felt JFK had defended the seemingly indefensible Western World he'd been bequeathed just over two short years earlier.

Tim Carroll

Tim, my dates come from the Corbis web-site.

They are all great photos, aren't they!

Great photos, wrong dates.

Touche!

Corbis is not always right.

If I recall correctly, I once Corbis an e-mail because it had a phoptograph of Theodore Sorenson and the caption said he was a speech-writer for Richard Nixon!

Edited by Tim Gratz

Touche!

If I recall correctly, I once Corbis an e-mail because it had a phoptograph of Theodore Sorenson and the caption said he was a speech-writer for Richard Nixon!

LOL !! That's delicious! In our discussions about the over-reaction in intelligence reform in the post-Watergate era, it hasn't been recalled that Ted Sorenson was Jimmy Carter's first nominee for CIA director. As a sidenote; Sorenson was/is truly a great wordsmith.

Tim Carroll

Touche!

LOL !! That's delicious! In our discussions about the over-reaction in intelligence reform in the post-Watergate era, it hasn't been recalled that Ted Sorenson was Jimmy Carter's first nominee for CIA director. As a sidenote; Sorenson was/is truly a great wordsmith.

Tim Carroll

Tim, I forgot that. He certsainly was a great wordsmith. (We'll have to ask William Safire the derivation of "wordsmith". Did Safire write for Agnew, or just Nixon (if you know?)?

with regards to the photo of cork, there are indeed people hanging ot of the windows but there are gardai (irish word for policemen) all along the parade route, their uniform is navy jackets with light blue shirts and navy hats. one can be seen in the bottom left corner and they are in a row for as far as my eye can detect. this was not the case in dallas.

john