The Education Forum

J. D. Tippit: Was he part of the conspiracy?

John Simkin

Thomas,

My next trip to Dallas will consist of my taking many photos in the area of the Tippit killing [especially of the driveway and area behind the house and driveway there], and requesting access to the old Abundant Life Temple basement. Even if a bribe is required, I want to see the basement, where it seems very likely that Tippit's killer hid out until it was 'discovered' that the 'real' killer was in the theatre [The Abundant Life moved since then, but I believe the building remains].

One wonders about how much radio communication went on back then. There is the Mathers / Tippit / Collins connection. And Vaganov was also in Oak Cliff - with no alibi until 1:00pm. Maybe they were panicking when the DPD were swooping down on the Abundant Life Building, but the fact is, based upon the dictabelt transcripts, it does not appear that there would have been time to perform the search.

Austin was a Bircher. There was that letter to Garrison which alleged that Tippit was a homosexual. Olsen was in Oak Cliff and guarding an estate. Hicks was also off duty, as was Tilson - yet some 200 cops had to be obtained to provide additional support for the President's visit? I believe that I read that Tippit's partner was also requested by Tippit to call in sick [no reference]. Bizarre.

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/jfkinfo4/jfk12/hscalojt.htm

- lee

I will be in the area today — or, if not today, then next week — and I'll take a few photos for you.

The Abundant Life Temple (ALT) was at or near the corner of 10th and Crawford, one block west of the Tippit scene. While it could easily have been reached by the shooter — who was last seen going behind the Texaco station at the corner of Jefferson and Crawford, i.e., back in the direction of ALT — I think it more likely that he was picked up in a car somewhere along Crawford rather than having ducked inside.

Still, being inside is a possibility given the perfunctory "search" of the premises: one cop merely asking the women inside if they'd seen anyone come inside and, being told they had not, he simply went back outside, where he stood, leaning against a police cruiser, chatting with another officer. There was, then, apparently plenty of time to search the place, contrary to whatever leads you to believe that there might not have been.

I wish I could remember where I'd seen some fairly good low-level aerials of the area that showed where the ALT, the abandoned houses that were searched, and several other points of interest were located. As for the immediate area of the shooting, as you will see in the photos I'll be taking, it has changed considerably and is now undergoing some much-needed rehabilitation, with new garden homes being constructed, including one at the site of the rooming house in front of which Tippit was killed (the first two homes in from the corner — the Davis sisters-in-law's and the next one in — have been demolished and are now just vacant lots. There are no driveways to speak of for them, as I best recall at the moment). Scoggins' "gentlemen's [or dominoes] club" is now an auto repair garage. The alleyway still exists, however.

There are generally no basements in Texas, in homes or otherwise, but if possible, I'll check to see if this particular building (the ALT) has one.

Duke,

That would be greatly appreciated. I did some aerials myself using Google Earth. There was too much foliage, and the image deteriorated when I drilled down too far. I probably still have them - if you'd like I'll email them to you.

Thanks for the update on the area. A shame that it wasn't properly documented previously - or if it was, perhaps someone has a reference? The houses, the alleys, the Abundant Life Building?

Send squad over here to Tenth and Crawford to check out this church basement.
Sounds like the cops thought it had a basement.

- lee

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas,

My next trip to Dallas will consist of my taking many photos in the area of the Tippit killing [especially of the driveway and area behind the house and driveway there], and requesting access to the old Abundant Life Temple basement. Even if a bribe is required, I want to see the basement, where it seems very likely that Tippit's killer hid out until it was 'discovered' that the 'real' killer was in the theatre [The Abundant Life moved since then, but I believe the building remains].

One wonders about how much radio communication went on back then. There is the Mathers / Tippit / Collins connection. And Vaganov was also in Oak Cliff - with no alibi until 1:00pm. Maybe they were panicking when the DPD were swooping down on the Abundant Life Building, but the fact is, based upon the dictabelt transcripts, it does not appear that there would have been time to perform the search.

Austin was a Bircher. There was that letter to Garrison which alleged that Tippit was a homosexual. Olsen was in Oak Cliff and guarding an estate. Hicks was also off duty, as was Tilson - yet some 200 cops had to be obtained to provide additional support for the President's visit? I believe that I read that Tippit's partner was also requested by Tippit to call in sick [no reference]. Bizarre.

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/jfkinfo4/jfk12/hscalojt.htm

- lee

I will be in the area today — or, if not today, then next week — and I'll take a few photos for you.

The Abundant Life Temple (ALT) was at or near the corner of 10th and Crawford, one block west of the Tippit scene. While it could easily have been reached by the shooter — who was last seen going behind the Texaco station at the corner of Jefferson and Crawford, i.e., back in the direction of ALT — I think it more likely that he was picked up in a car somewhere along Crawford rather than having ducked inside.

Still, being inside is a possibility given the perfunctory "search" of the premises: one cop merely asking the women inside if they'd seen anyone come inside and, being told they had not, he simply went back outside, where he stood, leaning against a police cruiser, chatting with another officer. There was, then, apparently plenty of time to search the place, contrary to whatever leads you to believe that there might not have been.

I wish I could remember where I'd seen some fairly good low-level aerials of the area that showed where the ALT, the abandoned houses that were searched, and several other points of interest were located. As for the immediate area of the shooting, as you will see in the photos I'll be taking, it has changed considerably and is now undergoing some much-needed rehabilitation, with new garden homes being constructed, including one at the site of the rooming house in front of which Tippit was killed (the first two homes in from the corner — the Davis sisters-in-law's and the next one in — have been demolished and are now just vacant lots. There are no driveways to speak of for them, as I best recall at the moment). Scoggins' "gentlemen's [or dominoes] club" is now an auto repair garage. The alleyway still exists, however.

There are generally no basements in Texas, in homes or otherwise, but if possible, I'll check to see if this particular building (the ALT) has one.

Duke,

That would be greatly appreciated. I did some aerials myself using Google Earth. There was too much foliage, and the image deteriorated when I drilled down too far. I probably still have them - if you'd like I'll email them to you.

Thanks for the update on the area. A shame that it wasn't properly documented previously - or if it was, perhaps someone has a reference? The houses, the alleys, the Abundant Life Building?

- lee

Although, I have never read the book, Dale Myers "With Malice" mentions that (I believe it was a Dallas Police Officer, although it may have been the kid they thought was the Tippit murderer) someone at the ABT identified himself as a Secret Service officer there, which I thought was very, very strange. But who knows since the recollections (I thought) were decades after the fact. Just a FYI.

A word of warning, Tenth and Patton is not very picturesque these day's looks awful and run down. The Top Ten Record Store? I don't know if its still there, probably a Hispanic record shop, is my guess. The Abundant Life Temple or at least the building itself, I am sure is still there, you should try to see 3126 Harlandale a few miles South of Illinois exit on HWY 67-S. Make sure you have a can of mace, it is a creepy area, and I grew up around there. It was a lot different in the 1960's

Igor Vaganov loitering at the corner of Tenth and Patton.

James

------------------------

James:

You might direct the members attention to the first article that used that "Igor" pic. It was written by one of the most expert "JFK/NARA Gurus" in this field. Malcolm Blunt flies from his home in the U.K. (and across "the pond") quited frequently -- to do intensive research at College Park; and also travels the U.S. doing one-on-one interviews.

Chairs,

GPH

Igor Vaganov loitering at the corner of Tenth and Patton.

James

------------------------

James:

You might direct the members attention to the first article that used that "Igor" pic. It was written by one of the most expert "JFK/NARA Gurus" in this field. Malcolm Blunt flies from his home in the U.K. (and across "the pond") quited frequently -- to do intensive research at College Park; and also travels the U.S. doing one-on-one interviews.

Chairs,

GPH

Hey Mr. Hemming,

I used to have the Esquire article, thanks to Ed O'Hagen [can't seem to locate it at present]. Is that the one by Blunt? It was facinating. Vaganov's clothes found stuffed in a telephone booth, begs off to head down to Dallas shortly before the op - a crackshot, radio expert, etc. Comes downstairs and shows himself to his landlords in his pajamas at 1:00pm like he just woke up, etc. A very interesting character.

"EL 6-6111

-------

ESTRAZDS

-

ARVIDS

--

JZAKS"

Oops - found a better summary...

He left Philadelphia with his girl friend, Anne Dulin, on November 5th, 1963, for Dallas with $800.00 in cash, a rifle, a two-way

radio, and a .38 calibre pistol, which he placed on the front seat of the car.

On November 12th, the now newly married couple rented an apartment in Oak Cliff, after a wild 1,400 mile ride from Philadelphia

to Dallas. Vaganov worked for two days for the Texas Consumer Finance Company, on the same block as Ruby's Carousel Club and, according to

Penn Jones, Oswald worked for the same Finance Company. (Dealey Plaza

Echo, Vol. 2: July 1998, "The Continuing Story Of The Russian Rover:

Igor Vaganov," by Mark Bridger, p.9)

- lee

The August 1967 Esquire Magazine article was written by then associate editor, John Berendt ( Author: Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil). It no longer can be found in the Esquire archives. Berendt described in detail how Vaganov was first contacted in Philadelphia by Vince Salandria and himself. Salandria and various other people had been interested in Vaganov's presence in Dallas during the assassination of JFK. The first public reference to the Vaganov connection appeared in an article written by Gaeton Fonzi in the January 1966 issue of Greater Philadelphia Magazine. A few months later Esquire editors became interested in doing a story on Vaganov, but only with his consent. They figured if he was offered money and given the opportunity to tell his side of the story, that he might just be willing to cooperate. Salandria, who had never met Vaganov, agreed to become involved, and subsequently one evening in January 1967 Berendt and he went knocking on Vaganov's apartment door in Upper Darby. Initially he stated that he had nothing to say, but at the end of the interview he said that he would consider their offer and would call them. He said it would cost him, but just how much he was not sure. Next day he called to say no , he wanted to protect his privacy. The investigators decided to give it one last try, and two weeks later Berendt , Salandria, and James Henderson, met again with Vaganov and convinced him that it was in his best interests to cooperate with them . The following day he agreed to accept the terms of their offer. He came to Salandria's house, and Berendt describes in detail how he was questioned by Henderson, Salandria and Fonzi, and how Vaganov accordingly responded. Later Berendt took him back to the scene of the Tippit murder at Tenth and Patton in Dallas, and had him meet some of the Tippit eyewitnessses. (The picture of Vaganov at Tenth and Patton has already been posted in the current thread).

Berendt concluded that despite being a curious individual, and his inability or unwillingness to provide answers to all of the Philadelphia group's questions, "... there is not one shred of direct evidence linking him with either killing that day or with any of the principals involved ." Vaganov's willingness to go to Dallas and meet with the Tippit eyewitness, to be questioned and have his picture published in a national magazine, convinced Berendt that if Vaganov was involved in something shady in Dallas, it had nothing at all to do with the assassination.

I have appended a list of NARA documents relating to Vaganov. I have also attached a picture of an individual who was standing outside the Texas Theater while the DPD officers were inside arresting Oswald. It was cropped from the well- known picture showing the crowd of spectators waiting on the sidewalk in front of the Texas Theater. I recommend that those who have this picture find the image, crop it and study it closely. I doubt that the attached file will be of much assistance in that regard.

Your local library may have a copy of the Esquire article. It is amazingly informative and well written, and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who may be interested.

Ed O'Hagan

--------------------------------------------

National Archives and Records Administration

Kennedy Assassination Collection Full Results

Hits 1-15 of 15

Hit 1 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : FBI

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10027-10241

RECORDS SERIES : DL

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-4

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : SAC, DL

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 11/22/1963

PAGES : 2

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : JFK, SUSPECTS, VAGANOV, IGOR

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 10/26/1992

Audit history for this Record Identification Form

Hit 2 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10265-10368

RECORDS SERIES : PH

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 157-916-362

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : SAC

DATE : 08/08/1967

SUBJECTS : JFK, ASSA, SUSP, VAGANOV, IGOR V.

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 06/27/1994

Hit 3 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10236-10098

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-5904

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 03/06/1967

PAGES : 1

SUBJECTS : JFK, TELCAL, INQUIRY, SUSPECT, VAGANOV, IGOR, ACK

INQUIRY

Hit 4 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10027-10388

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-145

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 11/23/1963

PAGES : 6

SUBJECTS : JFK, SUSPECT, VAGANOV, IGOR, BKG

Hit 5 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10236-10045

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-5903

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 03/01/1967

PAGES : 4

SUBJECTS : JFK, TELCAL, ADVICE, WIT, BENAVIDES, DOMINGO, LHO,

TIPPIT, J., INQUIRY, PHOTO, VAGANOV, IGOR

Hit 6 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10079-10100

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-504

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 11/25/1963

SUBJECTS : JFK, SUSPECTS, INTERVIEW, VAGANOV, IGOR

Hit 7 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10009-10341

RECORDS SERIES : HQ

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-109060-918

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : DIRECTOR, FBI

DATE : 11/22/1963

SUBJECTS : KENNEDY, JOHN, SEARCHING FOR SUSPECTS, VAGANOV, IGOR

Hit 8 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10164-10049

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-1967

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 12/02/1963

SUBJECTS : JFK, INTV, VAGANOV, IGOR

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 02/01/1994

Hit 9 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10229-10391

RECORDS SERIES : HO

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-2115-204

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 12/02/1963

PAGES : 6

SUBJECTS : LHO, POST-RP, SUSPECT, VAGANOV, IGOR

COMMENTS : DTD IN SECOND PARAGRAPH

Hit 10 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10274-10073

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-116395-1396

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 01/11/1967

PAGES : 52

SUBJECTS : CC, REQ, INVEST, JFK, ASSA, SUSP, SILVA, ART, VAGANOV,

IGOR VLADIMIRS, WC, LIAISON WITH USSS, JG, INVEST, DF,

LHO, POST-RP, RES, TRA, TRIP TO MX 9/26/63, EMP, REL,

PROPOSED RUSS TRIP, FPCC, ASSOC, CONSPR THEORIES,

CUBA, JR, ASSOC, CASTRO MATTER

RESTRICTIONS : 2; 4

CURRENT STATUS : RELEASED WITH DELETIONS

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 07/13/1994

OPENING CRITERIA : INDEFINITE

COMMENTS : INC 8 FBI RESPONSES, 4 LHM, 6 MEMO, NEWS ARTIC, 2 TTY,

3 ADMIN PAGES, REC, CIT LTR, USSS LTR, DOJ LTR, CC LTR

Hit 11 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10009-10325

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-109060-935

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 11/24/1963

Hit 12 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10009-10326

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-109060-934

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 11/23/1963

Hit 13 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10047-10374

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-109060-4421

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 01/27/1967

SUBJECTS : JFK, SUSPECT, VAGANOV, IGOR VLADIMIRS

Hit 14 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : HSCA

RECORD NUMBER : 180-10019-10161

RECORDS SERIES : FBI INVESTIGATIVE FILE ON ASSASSINATION OF JOHN

KENNEDY

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-109060-4421

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : DIRECTOR

DATE : 01/27/1967

DOCUMENT TYPE : MEMORANDUM

SUBJECTS : IGOR VLADIMIRS VAGANOV,; D.O. MC ELWEE, ASSISTANT

DISTRICT SUPERVISOR; JOHN BERNEDT, ASSOCIATE EDITOR4

OF EQUIRE MAGAZINE

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 05/19/1993

COMMENTS : Box 20. Folder Title; Section 109 [4412-4428].

Hit 15 of 15

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : HSCA

RECORD NUMBER : 180-10020-10163

RECORDS SERIES : FBI INVESTIGATIVE FILE ON ASSASSINATION OF JOHN

KENNEDY

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-109060-4732

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

DATE : 03/09/1967

DOCUMENT TYPE : MEMORANDUM

SUBJECTS : JFK; VAGANOV, IGOR VLADIMIRS; BERNEDT, JOHN; TIPPETT

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 05/24/1993

COMMENTS : Box 21. Folder Title; Section 116.

Hits 1-15 of 15

National Archives and Records Administration

webmaster@nara.gov

Edited by Ed O'Hagan

Thomas,

Lee,

Excellent post. Thanks for the information about the ALT. Looking forward to your photos of the sites.

Thomas

Make sure you have a can of mace, it is a creepy area, and I grew up around there. It was a lot different in the 1960's

Hi Y'all,

Speaking of mace, I used a smallish canister of pepper spray unsuccesfully in Paris once-- when the guy was walking menacingly towards me he SAW me AIM IT at his face and he turned away just in time. Having learned my lesson, while living in Central Europe I improvised a bit and always carried two 35mm film canisters, filled with the hottest chili powder I could find (on the pretense that I like real spicy food, which I do, ironically). Kept one in each pocket and used them twice for the non-culinary purpose known as Self Preservation. Worked like a charm. (The only thing is that you have to stand there with your arms at your side, one canister (with lid already off) concealed in each hand, arms at your side, and wait for him to come up and attack you one way or the other (in the Czech Republic, they're into kicking) before you fling it in his face.) What a surprise.

I know this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the assassination of JFK. I really should have posted it on Gratz's topic "Who Was Smarter- Reagan or RFK?"

FWIW, Thomas

PS Be sure to secure the lid onto the canister with a rubber band, otherwise you end up with a lot of chili pepper powder in your pockets....

Edited by Thomas Graves

I will be in the area today — or, if not today, then next week — and I'll take a few photos for you. ...

Duke,

- lee

Got 'em, along with a few others including 3126 Harlandale (mace-less!). More on them later ....

Duke

You may wish to check into the other three or so items which were also occurring, which if recalled correctly included a bank holdup, a fire, and I believe that it was a bomb at the YMCA.

Interesting as always Tom! I had never heard that before - thanks.

Let's reword this quote from Simkin using some speculation:

Buchanan refers to an article written by Serge Groussard in L’Aurore (a right-wing newspaper which had supported the O.A.S. during the Algerian War). Groussard claimed he had received information that Tippit had been employed to help a man escape from Dallas. He was not told what crime the man had done (or was about to do). When he realised that the man who he was supposed to help had killed JFK, he changed his mind and tried to arrest Oswald. When Oswald realized what was happening, he killed Tippit.
Buchanan refers to an article written by Serge Groussard in L’Aurore (a right-wing newspaper which had supported the O.A.S. during the Algerian War). Groussard claimed he had received information that Tippit had been employed to help a man escape from Dallas. He was not told what crime the man had done (or was about to do). When he realised that the man who he was supposed to help had killed JFK, he changed his mind and tried to back out of the deal. However, he was screwing with a professional contract assassin, brokered Internationally through local US Maffia resources, from France. An old OAS guy himself, and not to be 'screwed' with. This had nothing to do with any Lee, Leon, Leopoldo, Harvey or Oswald. It had to do with business. Taking care of the shooter and ensuring his safe passage was a priority. And Tippit got cold feet and was fixing to doublecross.

I like that scenario myself.

Poor damn cop. Poor damn cop.

Third page of Scoggins affidavit.

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

Those persons who actually get away with such things are in the "business" of knowing what it takes.

Therefore, diversionary activities and tactics are an inherent part of any such plan.

1. Soft Drink Bottlers association meeting & RMN:-------Drain on Police resources & "overload" of City Management.

2. Various other activities which would further create further drain on Police capabilities: IE: Fire; Bank Holdup; Bomb (or bomb threat) at YMCA.*

*Somewhere in a box, I have the details of these activities. They specifically caught my eye due to the associations of LHO & Jack Ruby with the YMCA.

3. Firecrackers along the parade route. As with "Pavlov's Dog" this inherently created a "conditioned" reflex to the reactions of SS Agents, as well as creating diversionary activities.

4. That Jack Ruby reportedly made a statement to the effect of "watching the fireworks", would seem to indicate that he had some potential knowledge of this activity, even if he actually had no knowledge and/or idea as to it's purpose.

Tom

P.S. One really should recall that RMN had just been in Dallas, therefore, there are other potential reasons for current and/or ex-SS personnel to have been there, other than just those associated with JFK.

RMN kept, and utilized ex-/former FBI as well as SS personnel as his aides and assistants.

I therefore do not doubt that someone in the vicinity of the Stockade Fence could have been in possession of papers which identified them as being a SS Agent, without any direct connection to the Presidential Protection Detail of the US SS.

After all, RMN was on a flight home!

Thomas,

Lee,

Excellent post. Thanks for the information about the ALT. Looking forward to your photos of the sites.

Thomas

Hey Thomas.

The excellent post above was Duke Lanes. I'm also looking forward to what he photographed - as I probably won't make Dallas again for awhile.

- lee

The August 1967 Esquire Magazine article was written by then associate editor, John Berendt ( Author: Midnight In The garden Of Good And Evil). It no longer can be found in the Esquire archives. Berendt described in detail how Vaganov was first contacted in Philadelphia by Vince Salandria and himself. Salandria and various other people had been interested in Vaganov's presence in Dallas during the assassination of JFK. The first public reference to the Vaganov connection appeared in an article written by Gaeton Fonzi in the January 1966 issue of Greater Philadelphia Magazine. A few months later Esquire editors became interested in doing a story on Vaganov, but only with his consent. They figured if he was offered money and given the opportunity to tell his side of the story, that he might just be willing to cooperate. Salandria, who had never met Vaganov, agreed to become involved, and subsequently one evening in January 1967 Berendt and he went knocking on Vaganov's apartment door in Upper Darby. Initially he stated that he had nothing to say, but at the end of the interview he said that he would consider their offer and would call them. He said it would cost him, but just how much he was not sure. Next day he called to say no , he wanted to protect his privacy. The investigators decided to give it one last try, and two weeks later Berendt , Salandria, and James Henderson, met again with Vaganov and convinced him that it was in his best interests to cooperate with them . The following day he agreed to accept the terms of their offer. He came to Salandria's house, and Berendt describes in detail how he was questioned by Henderson, Salandria and Fonzi, and how Vaganov accordingly responded. Later Berendt took him back to the scene of the Tippit murder at Tenth and Patton in Dallas, and had him meet some of the Tippit eyewitnessses. (The picture of Vaganov at Tenth and Patton has already been posted in the current thread).

Berendt concluded that despite being a curious individual, and his inability or unwillingness to provide answers to all of the Philadelphia group's questions, "... there is not one shred of direct evidence linking him with either killing that day or with any of the principals involved ." Vaganov's willingness to go to Dallas and meet with the Tippit eyewitness, to be questioned and have his picture published in a national magazine, convinced Berendt that if Vaganov was involved in something shady in Dallas, it had nothing at all to do with the assassination.

I have appended a list of NARA documents relating to Vaganov. I have also attached a picture of an individual who was standing outside the Texas Theater while the DPD officers were inside arresting Oswald. It was cropped from the well- known picture showing the crowd of spectators waiting on the sidewalk in front of the Texas Theater. I recommend that those who have this picture find the image, crop it and study it closely. I doubt that the attached file will be of much assistance in that regard.

Your local library may have a copy of the Esquire article. It is amazingly informative and well written, and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who may be interested.

Ed O'Hagan

Thanks for that Ed. Brilliant.

I think that what some fail to realize is that Kennedy wasn't going to leave Dallas alive. There was IMO an extensive operation at Dealey Plaza. There are possibilities that there may have been a secondary operation prepared at the Trade Mart, should there be some kind of hitch or abort at Dealey Plaza. Although I have been corrected concerning the Vince Drain / Torbitt account of who barged into Parkland and was forcibly removed by the SS [Torbitt has DeBrueys], I don't see at as a great leap that there would have been some plan to ensure that Kennedy was dead. No substance to some of that, really - but the point is that it seems we've tripped over a few of these individuals, and focus in on them - trying to establish a connection to Lee Harvey Oswald [mistake], trying to figure out if they were a shooter or not. Certainly it seems that Vaganov would qualify as a shooter - but so would the list of other suspects. While Penn had 9 shooters [and I find that interesting], the operation would have required numerous personnel to handle other tasks - transportion of the weapons, diversions, communications, provision of same, transportation of individuals, plants, cameramen, decoys, spotters, watchers - what have you. So we see someone like Vaganov and conclude that he must not have been involved - I think the question is more appropriately put - what could have been his role? As opposed to 'shooter' - couldn't he have been part of the communications network? And Oak Cliff as a coincidence? We probably haven't even begun to scratch the surface on the locations of the safe houses, and various operatives that would most likely have been assembled - all in Oak Cliff.

Anyway - as usual, thanks for the info! The photo you attached does bear a resemblance - I'll look to see if I have a better copy anywhere.

- lee

This is a shot of the old Abundant Life Temple on the southeast corner of 10th and Crawford, one block west from where JD Tippit was shot. The building does not actually have a basement per se, i.e., a level that is fully below ground level.

It appears, looking in one of the ground floor doors (near the right rear of the building in this shot), that the lowest level floor is perhaps 2-4 feet below the level of the street, but no more than that. It can perhaps be considered a "basement" inasmuch as it is below the level of the main entry at the front of the building, and I'd probably call it that myself.

As you can see, the structure has three levels at the front, including the "basement." Why only the basement might be considered somewhere someone might be hiding - since it is where most of the entrances are - versus any other, I don't know.

If a weekday's activity there today is the same as it was 42 years ago, then I'd certainly say that it's unlikely that anyone would have been able to get in any other than the street level doors, and NOT into the main doors.

After all, the Abundant Life Temple - or the Revival Tabernacle, as the building is called today - is not exactly St Mary's Catholic Church, where you might expect to see people coming and going all day.

This is a photo of the church from the rear, actually from the middle of Jefferson Blvd. The yellow building is the old Bellew's Texaco, and it is essentially unchanged since well before 1963 according to the owner, whom I spoke with on 11/22/05, except that they no longer pump gasoline.

As to the church, the rear part of the structure has four levels, the ground floor being slightly below street level. I have not yet been inside, but I have the name and phone number of the pastor, and hope to be able to visit soon.

You'll also notice that there is nothing - and never has been - other than a parking lot between the rear of the service station and the rear of the church. Thus, someone who had veered off of Jefferson Blvd behind the old Texaco would not have very many places to go to hide, especially if you rule out the church.

Also, to the right of and behind the station is where the "abandoned houses" were. They have been razed and replaced with some sort of warehouse structure. The alleyway that runs between and parallel to 10th and Jefferson is a part of the parking lot here, and does not actually become an alleyway, per se, until you have passed the church building going east from Crawford. The alleyway continues west on the other side of Crawford (not visible in this shot).

Also not visible in this shot, behind me, is ...

...the Hughes Funeral Home, still standing after all these years.

An interesting footnote that I had not been aware of before today, even though I've been in the neighborhood several times. Regarding driveways going from the front to the rear of the 10th Street homes, that is not the case today and I don't believe it to have been the case then ... only because there is another "street" of homes that front onto the alleyway!

The "alleyway homes" that I saw — on the second, third and fourth lots east of Patton — were easily 40 years old. Thus, there was not only a dwelling fronting on 10th Street, but there was also one behind it, with a distinct possibility that the same did not hold true for the Davis' home at 400 E 10th (the corner home).

This is a photo of the home at 321 E 10th, two homes in from the northwest corner of the 10th & Patton intersection (the "Helen Markham corner"). The one beside it to the left is very similar. It is of the "rooming house" variety, as were other of the homes along the street, including that where Tippit was thought by the Davis sisters-in-law to have lived (the third from the southeast corner, the "Scoggins corner").

This is the view that Helen Markham would have seen looking along 10th St from where she'd been standing when the shooting occurred:

You can see, if only barely, that there are new homes being constructed on the street.

This is the view looking down Patton toward Jefferson:

The area enclosed by the stockade fence along the east side of the street is where Domingo Benevides and Ted Callaway worked; this is the view Callaway would have seen looking up Patton toward 10th:

10th St is where you can see the house on the left side of the street; the alleyway is at the end of the fence along the right.

Just out of view (to the left) in the above photo is the "gentlemen's" or dominoes club where Scoggins hung out:

I also shot a 360° panorama from both the "Markham corner" as well as directly in the middle of the intersection. I will provide a link to that as well. Meanwhile, this is a wider-angle view of 10th & Patton:

Just for the sake of it, here is the "safe house" (if you ask me, there's nothing "safe" about this place ... not when it's got "POSTED" signs all around it!) at 3126 Harlandale. I'd say very few people would have fit into this place!

If anyone wants larger (640x480 up to 2272x1520) images of these, send me a PM with your email address in it. (Incidentally, the edit on this post was to reduce the image size and free up my global space. I also added the Harlandale photo and wide-angle 10&P shot.)

Edited by Duke Lane

Fabulous stuff Duke.

Thanks a lot for sharing that. Plus the additional information. That was magnificent.

- lee

I'd include the shot of 3126 Harlandale, too, but I've apparently exceeded my global image limit (the others are only 50K each). It's in a pretty run-down neighborhood, "scary" enough that this house has an orange-on-black "No Trespassing" (or was it "Posted?") sign on it.