The Education Forum

Japanese linguist John Hurt

Jim Root

Strange name, Harrod Miller. Do you have a military rank for him? I can usually get some infromation if I know the rank.

This is what I have found in the last few hours:

Harrod Miller: Born Dec. 5, 1900 in Missouri

Died Sept. 1966 in Washington County, Fayettville, Arkansas

SS# 379-38-2778 issued in the State of Michigan

Married sometime before 1930

Stationed in Corozal Balboa, District, Panama in 1930 as a Census Officier in the Signal Corps

By 1935 he was working with Friedman's group of Code Breakers in Washington D.C. (big jump from Panama)

Why do you think there is a connection to Taylor and or Walker? (Jim Root)

Jim,

In the mid 1930's, Miller's rank would have been Captain.

As far as connections go, I was given some second hand information which I have been unable to verify. It included that Miller's death was somewhat suspicious. The connections have always been a dangling carrot fo me so I like to refer to them as speculation rather than anything concrete.

James

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last few weeks have been extremely exciting in my quest for answers to my questions that surround the assassination of John F. Kennedy.  Many pieces of the puzzle seem to be falling into place for me ("Big Fish" and "Route of the Dallas Motorcade") in particular.

It just occured to me that the Japanese linguist, John Hurt, that worked with Maxwell Taylor in the "old munitions building" prior to WWII and whom I believe Edwin Walker was associated with prior to that time, was a Japanese linguist.  DUH!

John Hurt also had a security clearence of the highest level while working within the "Magic" program that broke the Japanese code during WWII.  This information was not declassified until after the assassination of JFK (giving reason to hide the name of this John Hurt if this is in fact the "real" John Hurt that Oswald was attempting to contact while in custody after the assassination).

If this John Hurt continued working for intelligence it could be assumed he would continue working in association with the Japanese language and issues centering around Japan.  DUH!

Astugi airbase is in Japan and this is where some people believe that Oswald first made contact with elements of some intelligence organization/s.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone else or is it a dead end road?

Oddly enough, one of the people Jack Ruby called his closest friends in Dallas was also a Japanese linguist during World War 2.  His name was Gordon McLendon, and immediately after the assassination - while Oswald seemed quite anxious to reach John Hurt - Jack Ruby was equally anxious to contact Gordon McLendon, as Ruby's own testimony makes clear.

We should also recall that former OSS officer/CIA contract player Gary Underhill told close friends immediately after the assassination that CIA personnel from the Agency's Far East Division had murdered the President.  [Prior to the right-handed Underhill shooting himself in the left temple... ahem.]

Re-reading James Wilcott's HSCA testimony might also yield some interesting data, as might reviewing Desmond FitzGerald's CV.

Jim, if the John Hurt Oswald tried to call was the Japanese linguist, you may have stumbled across something extremely significant.

Good find, my friend.

Jim Root

Oddly enough, one of the people Jack Ruby called his closest friends in Dallas was also a Japanese linguist during World War 2. His name was Gordon McLendon, and immediately after the assassination - while Oswald seemed quite anxious to reach John Hurt - Jack Ruby was equally anxious to contact Gordon McLendon, as Ruby's own testimony makes clear. (Robert Charles-Dunne)

Gordon McLendon is an interesting character. He studied Far Eastern languages at Yale University. During the Second World War he accepted a commission in the United States Navy and worked as an interpreter, translator and interrogator. Later he joined armed forces radio.

In 1947 McLendon and his father, Barton McLendon, founded the Liberty Broadcasting System (LBS). By 1952 LBS was the second largest radio network in the United States. The McLendon family eventually owned a large number of radio stations including KNUS-FM (Dallas), KOST (Los Angeles), WYSL-AM (Chicago), KABL-FM (San Francisco), KILT (Houston), KTSA (San Antonio) and KELP (EL Paso).

McLendon’s radio stations also expressed a right-wing political commentary. This included his attacks on federal aid to education, racial desegregation of public schools and equal voting rights for all races.

In 1963 rumours began to circulate that McLendon might have been involved in the assassination of JFK. In their book, Deadly Secrets, Warren Hinckle and William Turner claim that Gerry P. Hemming obtained money from McLendon to help fund Interpen.

McLendon was also an associate of Jack Ruby as well as being friendly with several other suspects including Clint Murchison, Bobby Baker and David Atlee Phillips. Peter Dale Scott claims that McLendon made a secret trip to Mexico City just before the assassination.

According to Seth Kantor when Ruby was arrested he "shouted out for Gordon McLendon". The KLIF disc-jockey, Weird Beard, later told Kantor that Ruby "greatly admired McLendon".

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmclendon.htm

I received this information from a very reliable source in answer to my question:

Is it true that a phonetic search (nationally) for a John Hurt was enitiated

by the FBI/intelligence while Oswald was in custody?

"I don't (know) anything about an FBI search, but I do know that Oswald's call was outgoing, not incoming. You've probably run into both versions studying the Hurt call.'

"Many years ago I saw some tv newsfilm shot in the DPD basement the morning Oswald was shot. ABC newsman Bill Lord was doing a "stand up" report in which he mentioned that he had been told that Oswald attempted to make a long distance phone call "last night" but the call did not go through.'

"The Hurt phone call is one of many really intriguing and unresolved stories."

Seems a real time verification to what was "discovered" during the HSCA hearings does in fact exist.

Has anybody else heard of the national "phonetic search" for John Hurt while Oswald was in custody? I believe I heard it in relation to a person/agent in the Chicago office of the FBI that brought this up at some time during the years since the assassination.

Jim Root

Again, all this points to a joint paramilitary (civilian and military intelligence agencies) effort. The complex interrelationship of the Army (max taylor, ed walker) the Air Force (Lansdale) the Navy (JFK Bethesda, marine oswald, Navy Secretary issues) the civilian agency one (desmond fitzgerald, harvey, the cubans, hunt, phillips) and now these gentlemen, MCCLENDON and JOHN HURT

from the second civilian agency, or better the agency most submerged in the grey area between military and civil (and domestic and foreign) responsibilities.

This second agency enters the picture as a Japanese Cryptological group,

circa 1959 in Atsugi, and the photos show the civilian/military hybrid nature.

This John Hurt call, linked to Ruby's call to a similarly placed crypto-analyst

from the joint civilian intelligence agency, are quite important and instructive.

Very serious events occur under the veil of TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED EYES ONLY.

Things never intended by the founding fathers of 1787, but known to the authors

of the WARREN REPORT and the TWENTY FIFTH AMENDMENT.

SHANET CLARK

Has anybody else heard of the national "phonetic search" for John Hurt while Oswald was in custody?  I believe I heard it in relation to a person/agent in the Chicago office of the FBI that brought this up at some time during the years since the assassination.

From Document # 180-10070-10273, an interview of Secret Service Agent Abraham Bolden by HSCA staffer Jim Kelly and Harold Rese, dated 1/19/78:

(Bolden) said when Agent Tom Kelly arrived in Chicago from Dallas on or about 11/26/63, he mentioned a John Heard or Hurt. They searched the office card files for a similar sounding name.

http://spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_...ue/arrb_12.html

Ron

Shanet

I might point out that Maxwell Taylor spent a good portion of the mid 1930's in Tokyo, Japan and China. It is during this period, as I understand it, that a copy of a Japnaese Diplomatic Code Book appeared that allowed Friecman's team insights into the Japanese Codes. From what I have learned of Taylor it would be concievable that he would have had a great deal to do with that coup. It also would have given him a chance to work with any anti-militarist (communists) groups that may have existed in Japan/Asia (once again this would fit his MO).

Walker, on the other hand seems to be involved in more of the counter espionage area. Looking to look after our espionage efforts and to recruit enemy agents to our benifit. His dealings in POW affairs (WWII and Korea) seems to fit within this category (recruitment of stay behind elements, etc.) This is in some ways the reason why I believe he would so readily accept an assignment to penitrate the "right wing" movement in America.

Jim Root

Ron

Great info. Do you know if Agent Tom kelly was ever questioned about this?

The information compiled by Joseph Backes is a great resource. I believe it is the infromation that Newman and Morley drew from for their contact to Jane Roman. As far as I know the November 4th 1963 Hosty note is not included in his collection.

Jim Root

Gary Mack has sent this message:

Ruby was never an "associate" or anything of else of Gordon McLendon. McLendon was a very popular, highly visible Dallas radio character who editorialized on KLIF frequently. Ruby admired him and even adverised his pre-Carousel Club and/or Vegas Club events on KLIF. But they were not friends or anything else; at best, McLendon knew who Ruby was, as did hundreds of people. The Ruby-McLendon theory is is one of the great myths about Dallas and the Kennedy assassination. Take it from one who knows some of the local radio people from that era and who knows the documentation about the alleged relationship.

If Ruby admired McLendon I assume that was because of the political content of his radio shows. If that was the case, how could Ruby have been a supporter of JFK? Why was he apparently so upset by JFK’s assassination?

My basic take on this -

When taken into custody for the murders, Oswald turned to his

core recruiter from the old days, someone who he idealized as

impartial and patriotic, with both the US and Oswalds best interests at

heart and who could intervene to explain Oswalds allegiance.

The joint defense/civilian signals agent from Atsugi, Japan, John Hurt.

Ruby was never an "associate" or anything of else of Gordon McLendon.  McLendon was a very popular, highly visible Dallas radio character who editorialized on KLIF frequently.  Ruby admired him and even adverised his pre-Carousel Club and/or Vegas Club events on KLIF.  But they were not friends or anything else; at best, McLendon knew who Ruby was, as did hundreds of people.  The Ruby-McLendon theory is is one of the great myths about Dallas and the Kennedy assassination. Take it from one who knows some of the local radio people from that era and who knows the documentation about the alleged relationship.

Well, my favorite professional nay-sayer Gary Mack has once again graciously decided to "straighten us out."  How charming.

Gary presumes to know the "documentation about the alleged relationship," while assuring us that there wasn't one.

So, in the interest of being further enlightened by Gary [rather than one of his legion of Mini-Me's who post his piffle for him], I'd like to ask Gary a question that shouldn't tax his encyclopedic knowledge:

What did Jack Ruby send Gordon McLendon in the mail?

Edited by Robert Charles-Dunne

Ruby was never an "associate" or anything of else of Gordon McLendon.  McLendon was a very popular, highly visible Dallas radio character who editorialized on KLIF frequently.  Ruby admired him and even adverised his pre-Carousel Club and/or Vegas Club events on KLIF.  But they were not friends or anything else; at best, McLendon knew who Ruby was, as did hundreds of people.  The Ruby-McLendon theory is is one of the great myths about Dallas and the Kennedy assassination. Take it from one who knows some of the local radio people from that era and who knows the documentation about the alleged relationship.

Well, my favorite professional nay-sayer Gary Mack has once again graciously decided to "straighten us out."  How charming.

Gary presumes to know the "documentation about the alleged relationship," while assuring us that there wasn't one.

So, in the interest of being further enlightened by Gary [rather than one of his legion of Mini-Me's who post his piffle for him], I'd like to ask Gary a question that shouldn't tax his encyclopedic knowledge:

What did Jack Ruby send Gordon McLendon in the mail?

QUOTE OFF

In response to my above comment, Gary Mack has e-mailed me the following non-responsive, pre-emptive and slightly chippy reply:

Hi Robert,Go right ahead and tell the world what Ruby sent McLendon.  Be sure to add whether or not McLendon asked Ruby to send it or whether he expected to receive anything from Ruby.  And please explain how a local celebrity - and that is what McLendon was - deals with a public that likes to think they are personally acquainted.  Once you do all that, I'll explain it to you, if necessary.  Thanks.Gary Mack

Despite having posited himself as an expert "who knows some of the local radio people from that era and who knows the documentation about the alleged relationship," Gary fails to enlighten us on this point.

Could it be because our "expert" has no idea what was being referenced in my post?

Despite any such appearance of cluelessness, Gary nevertheless asserts that whatever was mailed by Ruby to McLendon, it was unsolicited by McLendon.  One wonders just how our "expert" knows this.

However, always willing to be helpful [just not too helpful], Gary still offers to "explain it," but only if certain conditions are first met.  Why the preconditions, Gary?  Why not just tell us what you know about this matter?

This is precisely why Gary is my very favorite professional nay-sayer.  How can one possibly stay irritated at a man with so puckish a sense of humour?