The Education Forum

Gerry P. Hemming

Romero had taken on the cause of the victims of the brutal regime and its death squads, particularly a severely injured survivor.

The horrors being committed threatened to become front page news.

From memory, demonstrators had taken to running while carrying placards and banners and chanting against the injustices being being committed by the US supported anti-FMLN dictatorship in order to minimise the chance of being picked off by the time Romero was assassinated, and they ran in their thousands.

edit:typo

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(it was shortly after this post that my installation and peripherals went haywire and i lost connection browser functionality (this is minimum and a matter of luck) windows are opening left right and centre keys and mouse dont behave no more funny really getting in to chnage admin password was not really fun but you gotta keep a light heart when it comes to these things< it may be a simple part malfunction interesting tho)

It was a simple part malfunction: A jammed space key!!! It affected in some way heaps of things, (Including me, I wasn't looking forward to reloading this that and the other.)

Guest Tom Scully
Gerry and I became close friends for a period spanning a little over a decade. Of the 100's of hours that we talked to each other, two especially stand out in my mind, although there were many memorable converstions. The first of the two took place on the morning of 9/11/2001. Gerry phoned me at my home in San Diego, CA from his home in Fayetteville, NC. It was approximately 5:50am PST. I had woken up at about 4:30am and was unable to return to sleep. So, I got up, made a sandwich and turned on ESPN2 NBA Classic Games (or some such name) while I ate. After I finished I dozed off on the couch with the game still on TV. At about 5:50am my then girlfriend came down stairs from our bedroom to give me my cell phone which had been ringing next to my side of the bed. She said she had ignored it so it went to voice mail, but whoever it was kept calling back (she never answered my phone before this). Finally, she had answered it so it woiuld stop ringing and it was Gerry. He said, "Let me talk to monk, it's Gerry" -- So she came down and handed me the phone and said who it was. I took the phone and said, "Hey Gerry, what's up?" He said, "What are you doing? Do you have the TV on?" I said, "I couldn't sleep so I'm watching an old basketball game, why?" He said, "Turn to CNN because in about 10 minutes they're going to have this on their station--a plane just hit the World Trade Center." -- I said, "No xxxx?" He said, "Yeah, and they think it was probably Bin Laden" -- This was before it had been reported on the news. I changed the channel to CNN first and kept switching to HLN and NBC, CBS, ABC, etc., until it came on CNN around 6:00.

The second conversation of great significance, took place as I was boarding a helicopter with my fiance to get married "barefoot on the beach" on Catalina Island on January 7th 2005. I called Gerry, who had agreed to be my best man even though from a distance. I called him again during the ceremony so he could hear everything. Privately, he was a lot more sentimental than he came across publically.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021003210756/..._moments_1.html

....‘Quite a Lot of Damage’

At 8:46 a.m. ET, officials still were looking for the jet when a plane — the one they were looking for, they would confirm later — plowed into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York.

At 8:52 a.m. ET, ABCNEWS' Good Morning America broke in with a special report showing flames coming out of the World Trade Center.

"You can see quite a lot of damage," ABCNEWS' Don Dahler said minutes later from near the scene. "If it was an airplane, it had to be huge."

At the time, President Bush's motorcade was arriving at the Emma Booker Elementary School in Sarasota, Fla., for a planned event when the pagers of his aides erupted in a cacophony of beeps and tones.

"Before the president goes into the school, [presidential adviser] Karl Rove and I and some others were standing there and informed him of this," said Dan Bartlett, assistant to the president for communications.

"The president was surprised," said Ari Fleischer, the White House press secretary. "He thought it had to be an accident."

The president ducked into an empty classroom and called his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, and asked her to keep him informed.

‘Bin Laden’s Fingerprints’

In Washington, CIA Director George Tenet and David Boren, former chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, were having breakfast at the St. Regis Hotel three blocks from the White House.

"Out of the corner of my eye, I could see several people converging on our table," Boren said. "One of them said to George Tenet, 'Mr. Director, the World Trade tower has just been attacked by an airplane.' I was struck by the fact he used the word 'attacked.'"

An aide handed a cell phone to Tenet.

"After he … handed the cell phone back to his security person," Boren recalled, "he said to me, 'You know, this has bin Laden's fingerprints all over it.'" ....