The Education Forum

Stanley Watson

Wade,

Please do not assume we all have the same information that you do.

If you start a thread on someone please give us what you have on him, to get us started...just a thumbnail sketch, for reference, please...

Thanks,

Shanet

Wade,

Maybe this helps? Is Agee still 'living' in Germany?

Agee, Philip. Inside the Company: CIA Diary. Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England: Penguin Books, 1975. 640 pages.

In 1968 Philip Agee was finally disgusted with his dirty work as a CIA officer in Ecuador, Uruguay, and Mexico. He submitted a letter of resignation and immediately slipped into Cuba, then went to France and Britain. As he wrote his memoirs while scraping by on handouts, he frequently wondered if some of the people who were helping him could be trusted. The answer was "no" -- a typewriter that one friend loaned him was discovered to contain a homing transmitter. Finally his book "Inside the Company" was published in 1975, launching his career as history's most celebrated anti-CIA activist. The CIA kept harassing Agee, even though he retains his U.S. citizenship and has never been charged with a crime. He was expelled from Britain, France, and Holland, and his U.S. passport was revoked in 1979. Today he lives in Germany, is still trying to get his passport back, and does speaking tours on U.S. college campuses.

"Inside the Company" became an instant international bestseller, with many printings in many languages. It is universally regarded as accurate and reliable, and is still widely available. Essentially a reconstructed month-by-month diary of his CIA work, it names the people he worked with and provides a disgusting chronicle of the dirty tricks used by the CIA to keep American interests secure.

ISBN 0-14-004007-2

Sorry, here is an excerpt from "Ghosts of November"

"" During our own investigation we interviewed Stanley Watson, a former C.I.A. deputy chief of station in Mexico City. Though aged and retired, he deftly fended off our questions. Watson agreed, though, that there are still secrets about this case. “I don’t think we’ll ever know now,” he murmured, “or at least not until after…” His voice trailed off, and then he added, “I was just about to commit an indiscretion.” ""

Sorry, here is an excerpt from "Ghosts of November"

"" During our own investigation we interviewed Stanley Watson, a former C.I.A. deputy chief of station in Mexico City. Though aged and retired, he deftly fended off our questions. Watson agreed, though, that there are still secrets about this case. “I don’t think we’ll ever know now,” he murmured, “or at least not until after…” His voice trailed off, and then he added, “I was just about to commit an indiscretion.” ""

Wade,

Have you tried reaching Agee?

Philip Agee

Philip Burnett Franklin Agee (born 1936) is a former CIA agent and author who published a controversial book, Inside the Company: CIA Diary, detailing his experiences in, and the operation of, the eponymous agency.

Agee joined the CIA in 1957 and worked as a case officer in several Latin American countries, notably Ecuador and Uruguay. By the 1960s, he had become disillusioned with the CIA and the governments it supported.

Resigning in 1969, Agee decided to work against the agency that had employed him by writing a book that gave an extensive description of the way the CIA was run. The head of the Western Hemisphere Division of the CIA, Ted Shackley, was tasked with stopping the publication of Agee's CIA Diary. Agee moved to Cuba to avoid arrest.

In 1975, the book was finally published worldwide, in 27 different languages. The CIA was humiliated and immediately had Agee arrested, and afterwards, expelled from the United Kingdom, France, the Netherlands, West Germany, and Italy.

In 1978, after being released, Agee and a small group of his supporters began publishing the Covert Action Information Bulletin which, Agee said, promoted "a worldwide campaign to destabilize the CIA through exposure of its operations and personnel.". In 1979, Agee's US passport was revoked.

Agee published his autobiography, On The Run, in 1987.

Today, Agee runs a website from his home in Havana, Cubalinda.com (http://www.cubalinda.com/), which uses loopholes to arrange (illegal) holidays to Cuba for American citizens.

Agee is a strong supporter of Fidel Castro and of the Cuban Revolution.