The Education Forum

Favourite music links

Rob Jones

I thought it might be a good idea for us to say what our most useful web links were.

8 notes.com is a brilliant resource featuring riffs which you can use with classes as starters or end of term wind-downs or even as part of the hooks and riffs scheme of work.

• 1 year later...

Try www.greyolltwit.com

Used to be free but now £10 subscription for life (mine or his?)

Lots of great simple to use software - brilliant for whiteboards, starters to lessons etc.

I use hangman (instrument names - guess the instrument but also have to name the family and /or relatives before moving onto next one)

FLASHCARDS - great for KS4 - comile your own lists of Keywords which appear in order or randomly kids don't realsie they're constantly revising.

www.chandrakantha.com - free to watch streaming video of Indian Classical music (works great at home but doesn't want to stream REAL PLAYER files over school network - if you know why not, please let me know!)

Chris Barnard

Currently working on Indian music with GCSE groups

I have come across a percussionist called Pete Lockett who provides loads of online tutorials for tons of different percussion - I have downloaded all his stuff on tabla - it looks really useful

pdf files, audio (mp3) and video (windows media)

www.petelockett.com

Chris Barnard

• 11 months later...

I've been teaching about the instruments of the orchestra to my eager beaver Year 7's - as a bit of fun they have really enjoyed

http://www.sfskids.org/templates/instorchframe.asp?pageid=3

...lots of fun there for big kids too! :ice lol