The Education Forum

LBJ-Hoover Dictabelt

Yes, it is interesting that this most important phone call (the first one recorded between Hoover and LBJ following the assassination) was deliberately erased.

Few people know that after the resignation of Richard Nixon, Rose Marie Woods spent six months working at the Johnson Library!

There is a typed transcript of the phone call. One of the things that Hoover raises with LBJ is the issue that the voice recordings supposedly of LHO in Mexico City are not in fact the voice of LHO. It came as quite a jolt to both Hoover and LBJ. Without the actual tape recording, of course, it is impossible to determine if the transcript is accurate and complete. You can find the typed transcript in Holland's "The Assassination Tapes".

Yes, it is interesting that this most important phone call (the first one recorded between Hoover and LBJ following the assassination) was deliberately erased.

Few people know that after the resignation of Richard Nixon, Rose Marie Woods spent six months working at the Johnson Library!

Hi Tim.

I'm sure that the conversation between LBJ and Hoover would have been dynamite, and was never meant to see the light of day.

Didn't Nixons secretary have a bit of trouble with the ERASE button as well, i beleive there was a "section" erased from the Watergate tapes.

Tim.

I remember hearing the phone conversation between LBJ and Earl Warren regarding heading the Commision.

Johnson was really putting the screws on the judge, the judge was trying to get out of heading the Commision (which he new would have to be a white wash)

Then Johnson in a stern voice says:

" ARE YOU SAYING NO TO YOUR PRESIDENT, AT A TIME WHEN YOUR NATION NEEDS YOU" at that point Warren conceded and said that he would head the Commision .