The Education Forum

John Liggett and Lois Liggett

I think I found the obit for the funeral from which John Liggett departed.

In Tom Scully's obits, there is an obit. For an Alene B. Miller; .graveside services, 2PM Friday.

In the 1945 obit. for Lois' mother it is noted that she is survived by a Miss Alene Miller.

We have our mystery funeral confirmed.

Edited by Michael Clark

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I see Tom Scully's post with the same info, Acknowledging my search of his documents.I beat him by 4 min. 

Thanks very much Tom! (High-five!)

That was fun, very satisfying. I'll do the rowing for any researchers if they have something to chew on!

Edited by Michael Clark

I believe Lois' daughter mentioned having at least another brother and sister. If they could could be contacted to confirm the David Ferrie connection that really would be something. Perhaps they could also affirm or re-affirm the Malcolm Ligget ID in the photo with Jack Ruby. That's all pretty relevant stuff.

I find Lois Liggett (and her daughter) both credible ... maybe John Liggett was flown to Washington on 22.11.63 as part of the Kennedy-body alteration team, whether or  not he participated in that bloody part of the cover up... Liggetts dead right at the spot where Kennedy died smells like a staged event ... the core of the Liggett story is sound IMO ... despite the Lawsuit of his brother ...

Now we have the graveside service Liggett departed ... great find, Michael Clark thx ... 

Edited by Karl Kinaski

8 hours ago, Karl Kinaski said:

I find Lois Liggett (and her daughter) both credible ... maybe John Liggett was flown to Washington on 22.11.63 as part of the Kennedy-body alteration team, whether or  not he participated in that bloody part of the cover up... Liggetts dead right at the spot where Kennedy died smells like a staged event ... the core of the Liggett story is sound IMO ... despite the Lawsuit of his brother ...

Now we have the graveside service Liggett departed ... great find, Michael Clark thx ... 

Thanks Karl, though Tom Scully gets the credit. I want to learn some of the document locating skills some researchers have. I was quite impressed.

Karl wrote: "Liggetts death right at the spot where Kennedy died smells like a staged event" (typo fixed)

I agree. The TMWKK episode suggests that he was shot at the corner of Houston and Elm.

Edited by Michael Clark

On 9/20/2013 at 9:44 AM, Robert Howard said:

Does anybody have the phone log, or a URL for the phone log of the phone records of the law firm of Gill, Bernstein, Schreiber and Gill from (March 1962-November 1963)? The main number was 524-0147 and the unpublished line was 288-4648. Both lines were available to all the people in the office, which included Ferrie, Gill, Bernstein, Schreiber and Gill, and several interns, secretaries and investigators. These records show only toll calls, not local calls. Three years after the assassination, on January 4, 1967, secretary Alice Guidroz went through the monthly bills and drew a line through any call she could identify as Gill's, and turned them over to Jim Garrison's office.

The above is from the following thread. I would love to have that link to Ferrie's phone records to see if there is a connection to the Liggetts, the funeral home, or even the Carousel.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Michael Clark said:

David, I edited-in some more information on that in the last post of the previous page. I didn't want to keep bumping the thread.

I dunno.  We're still in James Ellroy country with that sensationalistic chapter from Colossus.  I had thought it was Officer Hargis who caught the blood spray and not Martin, and there is dispute as to whether Jayne Mansfield was actually decapitated in her accident.  Little errors in tangential matters can show tendencies in a writer.

I was thinking of whether anyone had dug up Liggett-related news items from his arrest, but I suppose that those would be uncertainly dependable in their own way.

Edited by David Andrews

7 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Any thoughts as to who may have called Liggett away from the funeral? Also, who would have delivered that message?

Speculatively, I have Liggett involved with The Carousel Crew in the @ 32 hour period following the assassination. That would be Crafard, Senator, Ruby, possibly Iganov and who knows who-else. Ruby may have made calls and put things together, or, whoever was driving Ruby. I maintain a separation of the assassins and the clean-up /  post assassination logistics crew. So, it wasn't the anti-Castro Cubans who I am speculating were the assassins (disguised as Pro-Castro).

Those are my speculative thoughts....

Michael,

Do you figure the Liggett deal would be pre-planned in case his services were needed? Otherwise, I find it hard to negotiate a price during a family funeral and then leave. Unless it was an offer he couldn't refuse!

Lately, I have been thinking about the funeral homes themselves. You had the ambulance that picked up the supposed epileptic and also had several mysterious calls prior in what looks to be an attempt at timing the route. That was the Vernon O'Neil funeral home, and Liggett worked for I believe Restland. Just wondering if there is a connection or one central cog connecting the local funeral homes.

Vernon O'Neil also supplied the "bronze" casket. The government scoffed at the bill once it was received. They finally paid it at the request of Jackie and RFK. The cost amounted to the equivalent of $30,000 in today's money!

6 hours ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Michael,

Do you figure the Liggett deal would be pre-planned in case his services were needed? Otherwise, I find it hard to negotiate a price during a family funeral and then leave. Unless it was an offer he couldn't refuse!

Lately, I have been thinking about the funeral homes themselves. You had the ambulance that picked up the supposed epileptic and also had several mysterious calls prior in what looks to be an attempt at timing the route. That was the Vernon O'Neil funeral home, and Liggett worked for I believe Restland. Just wondering if there is a connection or one central cog connecting the local funeral homes.

Vernon O'Neil also supplied the "bronze" casket. The government scoffed at the bill once it was received. They finally paid it at the request of Jackie and RFK. The cost amounted to the equivalent of $30,000 in today's money!

Ty, What I offered is too speculative and tentative too offer you an answer, other than to suggest he was a no questions asked, on-call kind of guy.

Edited by Michael Clark

4 hours ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Michael,

Regarding foreknowledge, It may be worth noting this. In the Igor Iganov thread, both Bill Kelley and Ed Hogan have variations of this quote "On November 21, Joan Anthis cried hysterically and said, “Turk is going to do something terrible tomorrow.” (Turk=Iganov)

I don't know the source, context or veracity of the quote, and my connection between Iganov and Liggett is speculative. I thought I would offer it anyway.

****edit... I found the article in which this was mentioned. I posted a link in the Vaganov thread.

Edited by Michael Clark

Regarding the Suzanne LaPaugh Liggett  1961 Yearbook photo mentioned in Tom Scully's thread.

I called SUNY Binghamton and the girl at the desk pulled the yearbook, found the photo and told me that scanning and sending it would not be a problem, but that she wanted to ask the acrchivist.

The archivist said she wanted to put the request through the library Dean.

I just received a response that they will not provide the photograph....

**** note to self:  Don't tell librarians what you are researching. A five hour round trip would have yielded the photograph.

Dear Michael:

After reviewing the request it has been determined that the image you have requested cannot be provided.

sincerely,
Xxxxxxxxx

Xxxx Y. Zzzzzz

Binghamton University Archivist

Local History Curator

Special Collections and University Archives

University Libraries, LN 2326

Binghamton University

PO Box 6012

Binghamton, NY 13902-6012

xxxx@binghamton.edu

607-777-zzzz

Edit... X, y and z's substituted for personal info.

Edited by Michael Clark