The Education Forum

Dust not smoke on knoll

Hello all,

I have been reading william peppers excellent book 'an act of state' about his prosecutions in the assassination of MLK.

King was shot from a bush at the back of jims grill, witnesses say they saw smoke from the bush area, this is fact is believed to be sonic dust from the heavy vegetation in the immediate area.

Could this be the explanation for the appearance of smoke from the grassy knoll in the JFK case?

john

John, it seems unlikely since it had showered in the early morning

before the motorcade; indeed Sam Holland speaks of observing

footprints in the wet dirt behind the fence and mud on the bumper of

the adjacent car as if the person had stood up on it.

Seems like unlikely conditions for dust to be an explanation?

John,  it seems unlikely since it had showered in the early morning

before the motorcade;  indeed Sam Holland speaks of observing

footprints in the wet dirt behind the fence and mud on the bumper of

the adjacent car as if the person had stood up on it.

Seems like unlikely conditions for dust to be an explanation?

And didn't Holland find cigarette butts as well? Lee Bowers said that he saw two men behind the fence and that they were there at the time of the shooting.

Guest Stephen Turner

John.

From W/C, JFK Exhibit F-110

Mr Edgar," Do rifles or handguns emit smoke that is discernable to

the human eye."

Mr Lutz," Yes Sir they do."

Mr Edgar,"Does this particular rifle emit smoke."

Mr Bates,"It was possible to observe some smoke emitting from the

muzzle during test firing."

I have heard it said that no rifles used in 63 would have generated smoke,

can anyone rebut this?

john

John,

In 1970 at Kent State University, a student shot film of the shooting of students by National Guardsmen. The film was taken from across the street, out the window of a dorm room. You can plainly see clouds of smoke from the Guards' position as they fired on the crowd. I was doubtful myself that the cloud of smoke on the Grassy Knoll could be generated by a rifle shot until I saw the Kent State film.

RJS

Most of the time smoke is caused by oil left in the barrel of a rifle after one cleans it, I have seen many times shooters forget to run a dry patch before shooting.

Also there are powders that are very "dirty". Just the other day I was shooting one of my 1911's and was shooting wad cutters that a buddy had worked up for me for comp shooting, these are light loads at about 190 grains compared to the norm 230 grain, After the first shot it looked like I was shooting black powder ;) LOL Did I get some strange looks from fellow shooters. ......Man that stuff was dirty, powder was AA5, weight was 6.6, grain 190 with magma wad cutters, had to run a bore snake through it every 40 rounds or so, but it was very accurate ammo ;)

Hello all,

I have been reading william peppers excellent book 'an act of state' about his prosecutions in the assassination of MLK.

King was shot from a bush at the back of jims grill, witnesses say they saw smoke from the bush area, this is fact is believed to be sonic dust from the heavy vegetation in the immediate area.

Could this be the explanation for the appearance of smoke from the grassy knoll in the JFK case?

john

4245.jpg

4236.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger