The Education Forum

The Cubans have my address

On Saturday, September 28, 1963, Sylvia Duran phone the Soviet Consulate in Mexico City and told them that she had an American in her office who had previously been to the Soviet Consulte. The first Russian she spoke to put a second Russian on the line and she put this American on the phone.

Lopez Report pp. 89-91

http://history-matters.com/archive/jfk/hsc...ezRpt_0089a.htm

The Russian said, "What else do you want?"

In broken Russian, the American said, "I was just now at your Embassy, and they took my address."

The Russian said, "I know that."

The American said, "I did not know it then. I went to the Cuban Embassy to ask them for my address, because they have it."

The Russian said, "Why don't you come again and leave your address with us; it is not far from the Cuban Embassy."

The American said, "I'll be there right away."

Now what's up with this?

Are we to take the verbs, TOOK, ASK THEM FOR IT, and LEAVE literally?

This is after Marina has left with Ruth Paine to go and live with her in Irving. LHO knew where Ruth Paine lived.

And why wouldn't he have known his address after having been "just now at your Embassy and they "took" it?

On November 8, 1963 lHO allegedly wrote a letter to the Soviet Embassy in Washington in which he not only mentioned having met a Comrade Kostin, but also said that he couldn't afford to stay in Mexico any longer because he would have had to "give them my real name."

Anybody know what in the world is going on here?

Steve Thomas

Steve, both Peter Dale Scott - in Deep Politics III - and John Newman - in a series on Mexico City available on the JFK Lancer WEB site - have studied this exchange and all the MC events in detail. I'd recommend both for the huge amount of background required to deal with this exchange.

There is speculation that the address in question is where to contact Oswald in MC, and further that the Cubans are actually housing him somewhere which is why they have the address......that line of thinking relates to the call being an impersonation and setting up Oswald as having some deep ties to the the Cubans.

Other issues are whether or not the call was from an impersonator and whether that implies both the man and woman were impersonators ....speculation on that ranges from whether its part of an effort to connect Oswald to the Cubans or perhaps a legitimate CIA ploy to probe the Russian embassy about Oswald's visit and to evaluate their interest in him.

Not that PDS and Newman resolve all this but they do provide the background to at least try...

Larry,

There is speculation that the address in question is where to contact Oswald in MC, and further that the Cubans are actually housing him somewhere which is why they have the address......that line of thinking relates to the call being an impersonation and setting up Oswald as having some deep ties to the the Cubans.

Thanks. The whole Mexico City thing is way too complex for me to get into too deeply. I think it would take a lifetime of study just on that one aspect of the JFK case.

The whole address exchange is almost like they are talking in code.

Have you ever seen transcripts of Duran's interrogation by the Mexican police?

I shudder to think about how brutal that must have been.

Steve Thomas

Mark and I just published an article on the "Mexico City Mystery Man" and whether he was impersonating Oswald. As soon as I can get it in a compatible format I will post it here. It contains some interesting scenarios posited by Gerry Hemming.

I think the abvove anaylsis by Larry is, as always, astute.

I had wondered, and Gerry Hemming seems to confirm, that the Mexico City operation related to yet another CIA effort to assassinate castro.

An 11/25/63 cable from the FBI legat in Mexico City claims that,according to CIA,the Oct 1 phone call to the Soviet Embassy was made FROM the Cuban Embassy.I don't ever remember seeing that claim in any CIA documents.I assume the LIENVOY operation had the capability to determine where a call originated.It would be very interesting to know whether or not Sylvia Duran was an Agency asset,either witting or unwitting.

I've posted it before but I'm quite convinced a lot of the confusion over Oswald in Mexico has nothing to do with the assassination itself. In the U.S., where wiretapping was illegal, the FBI would say they had an unimpeachable source whenever they used a bug. I believe the CIA had a similar system overseas, where they could legally bug. Whenever they used an internal source (a mole) to gain information, they would seek to protect the existence of that source by creating a fake phone call. I believe this is something Angleton worked out with Phillips. Therefore, the phone calls on the 28th wre probably legit. The other phone calls, made on days when Oswald failed to visit the embassy, were the ones that were scripted, and performed by actors, probably under Phillips' direction. These transcripts included a lot of valuable information--Oswald's meeting with Kostikov, for example--that Oswald himself didn't need to say over the phone. The clincher for me is when he asks if his visa has been approved, when he never even filled out the form. (At least that's how I remember it.)