The Education Forum

Jack the Ripper, Seminars

Guest Stephen Turner

Steve,

It's been a while. I've been involved in heated debates over on the JFK threads (it's a bear pit over there).

Anyway, I've been attempting to gather info on Jacob Levy but there's precious little info online (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). I'm wondering if anyone

would know where I could find any additional info. Also, what do Stewart and Christopher think of Levy as JTR ?

Guest Stephen Turner
Steve, 

It's been a while. I've been involved in heated debates over on the JFK threads (it's a bear pit over there).

Anyway, I've been attempting to gather info on Jacob Levy but there's precious little info online (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). I'm wondering if anyone

would know where I could find any additional info. Also, what do Stewart and Christopher think of Levy as JTR ?

Mark Hi, I will email Stewart, & Chris,and ask them to pass on any relavant info to you.Stewart has the most extensive collection of Ripper memorobilia in the world, we live about 10 miles apart, and he has invited me to use his files for research( Read it and weep.)Your right about JFK threads, im currently "debating"with Mr Gratz myself.

Regards, Steve.

Steve, 

Mark Hi, I will email Stewart, & Chris,and ask them to pass on any relavant info to you.Stewart has the most extensive collection of Ripper memorobilia in the world, we live about 10 miles apart, and he has invited me to use his files for research( Read it and weep.)Your right about JFK threads, im currently "debating"with Mr Gratz myself.

Regards, Steve.

Steve,

When you're through, send the files over here would you?. :)

Subscribers to the 'Polish Jew as Jack the Ripper' theory usually fall into the category known in Ripper circles as 'Andersonites'. This is not a derogatory term as many of the theories carry their own nomenclature (another is 'Druittists') and as theories go the 'Polish Jew' is as good as any. Assistant Commissioner (Crime) Sir Robert Anderson stated, more than once, that the identity of the Ripper was known and that he was a Polish Jew. From hereon in things get complex and the arguments, pro and con, very lengthy.

As a result of Anderson's claims several informed and knowledgeable authors and researchers have followed the 'Anderson line' believing that it is the only 'official police clue' that might possibly lead to the identification of the murderer. Amongst those involved in this research (and who have carried out extensive genealogical research into various named Jews involved in the case) are Mark King and Scott Nelson.

The name of Levy pops up in relation to the murder of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square in the early hours of Sunday 30 September 1888. One Joseph Levy was one of three Jewish witnesses leaving the Imperial Club in Duke Street, City, around 1.35 a.m. who saw a man and a woman talking at the entrance to Church Passage (leading into Mitre Square) only 10 minutes or so before the body of Eddowes was discovered. It is generally accepted that the man and woman were the killer and his victim.

Research revealed another Levy, Jacob, born in Aldgate in 1856 and who died in an asylum of softening of the brain as a result of syphilis in July 1891. From the few known facts speculation takes over, runs rife, and a new Ripper suspect emerges. In common with ALL other Ripper suspects there is nothing so vulgar as hard evidence to connect him with the murders. All the available information may be found on the Casebook: Jack the Ripper site at http://casebook.org/ and it really is a case of picking your preferred line of inquiry when deciding whether you think that the Ripper may be identified or not.

Edited by Stewart Evans

Subscribers to the 'Polish Jew as Jack the Ripper' theory usually fall into the category known in Ripper circles as 'Andersonites'.  This is not a derogatory term as many of the theories carry their own nomenclature (another is 'Druittists') and as theories go the 'Polish Jew' is as good as any.  Assistant Commissioner (Crime) Sir Robert Anderson stated, more than once, that the identity of the Ripper was known and that he was a Polish Jew.  From hereon in things get complex and the arguments, pro and con, very lengthy.

As a result of Anderson's claims several informed and knowledgeable authors and researchers have followed the 'Anderson line' believing that it is the only 'official police clue' that might possibly lead to the identification of the murderer.  Amongst those involved in this research (and who have carried out extensive genealogical research into various named Jews involved in the case) are Mark King and Scott Nelson.

The name of Levy pops up in relation to the murder of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square in the early hours of Sunday 30 September 1888.  One Joseph Levy was one of three Jewish witnesses leaving the Imperial Club in Duke Street, City, around 1.35 a.m. who saw a man and a woman talking at the entrance to Church Passage (leading into Mitre Square) only 10 minutes or so before the body of Eddowes was discovered.  It is generally accepted that the man and woman were the killer and his victim.

Research revealed another Levy, Jacob, born in Aldgate in 1856 and who died in an asylum of softening of the brain as a result of syphilis in July 1891.  From the few known facts speculation takes over, runs rife, and a new Ripper suspect emerges.  In common with ALL other Ripper suspects there is nothing so vulgar as hard evidence to connect him with the murders.  All the available information may be found on the Casebook: Jack the Ripper site at http://casebook.org/ and it really is a case of picking your preferred line of inquiry when deciding whether you think that the Ripper may be identified or not.

Stewart,

Thanks for the help re Levy. Welcome to the forum, btw--your knowledge of the case is certainly more extensive than mine.

I like Levy, if what King says is accurate, because of his personal circumstances more than anything else. His age, occupation, physical description, wife's alleged comments about his habits and behavior, period of incarceration prior to the killings and eventual death from syphillis seem like a perfect fit. The only problem is lack of additional information. It's been 117 years, so I guess there's no hurry. B)

Guest Stephen Turner
Come on Aussie, lets see what you got.... B)  :blink:

Very witty. Very, very witty. I'll need time, about a month I reckon. Do you know Mark King's email address? Luckily, my piece won't have much to beat. So far, it's been all wild speculation. :D

Guilty, as charged your honour.Mark, I will try to find Mr Kings Email for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

George Chapman AKA, Severin Klosowski, is one of the few suspects in this case to be a known murderer of Women.( See also WH Bury, Dr Neil Cream & FB Deeming.) He was also Insp F Abberlines named suspect. So who was George Chapman, and what did he do? (Stephen Turner)

Hi Steve,

I thought it appropriate that another Aussie entered the fray given that I have some time up my sleeve. :rolleyes:

I came across this obscure piece in a New York paper from 1903 and figured it might be of some interest.

Also, do you know anything about an arrest in Ludwigshafen Germany in 1901. Supposedly, the man in custody was claimed to be Jack The Ripper but I can not find any more details.

I apologize in advance for any stupid questions as I am a Jack The Ripper newbie.

Cheers,

James

Guest Stephen Turner
George Chapman AKA, Severin Klosowski, is one of the few suspects in this case to be a known murderer of Women.( See also WH Bury, Dr Neil Cream & FB Deeming.) He was also Insp F Abberlines named suspect. So who was George Chapman, and what did he do? (Stephen Turner)

Hi Steve,

I thought it appropriate that another Aussie entered the fray given that I have some time up my sleeve. :rolleyes:

I came across this obscure piece in a New York paper from 1903 and figured it might be of some interest.

Also, do you know anything about an arrest in Ludwigshafen Germany in 1901. Supposedly, the man in custody was claimed to be Jack The Ripper but I can not find any more details.

I apologize in advance for any stupid questions as I am a Jack The Ripper newbie.

Cheers,

James

Hi James, thanks for that, I have never seen that cutting before. No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers..And no, I have never heard about the arrest in Germany, I will see if I cant find something on it...Steve.

Hi Steve,

I thought it appropriate that another Aussie entered the fray given that I have some time up my sleeve. :cheers

Cheers,

James

Hi James, thanks for that, I have never seen that cutting before. No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers..And no, I have never heard about the arrest in Germany, I will see if I cant find something on it...Steve.

Thanks, Steve.

It will be interesting if anything turns up regarding the German arrest.

Do you know anything about a character named Forbes Winslow? He was a doctor whose specialty was insanity.

He wrote a piece regarding Florence Maybrick and her conviction for killing her husband James Maybrick. I am trying to get my hands on it.

Winslow also claimed that he knew who the Ripper was and possessed an item of blood soaked clothing.

James

Guest Stephen Turner

Hi Steve,

I thought it appropriate that another Aussie entered the fray given that I have some time up my sleeve. :cheers

Cheers,

James

Thanks, Steve.

It will be interesting if anything turns up regarding the German arrest.

Do you know anything about a character named Forbes Winslow? He was a doctor whose specialty was insanity.

He wrote a piece regarding Florence Maybrick and her conviction for killing her husband James Maybrick. I am trying to get my hands on it.

Winslow also claimed that he knew who the Ripper was and possessed an item of blood soaked clothing.

James

Ah, the good doctor. Be warned James, this case is full of liars, con men and lunatics, and thats just the Police :lol:

2nd Oct 1888, Dr Lyttleton Stewart Forbes Winslow, a self appointed "expert" in medical-legal investigations of lunacy, offers his services to the Police. A parcel containing a dismembered Female torso is found in the corner of a cellar of the new metropolitan Police HQ. I think rather than go into the depths of it here, I will start a new thread on "Dr" Winslow..Regards, Steve.