The Education Forum

Mark Felt--Deep Throat?

Tim Gratz

Like I said, a grain of salt.

I have a complete salt block set aside for each of the co-conspirators.

And speaking of blocks, I'm beginning to wonder now if the prolific Mr. Caddy has developed sudden writer's block over these few simple questions I've asked (now in their own thread).

Ashton Gray

Hi Ashton,

HI Ashton

Welcome to the forum. Have only had time to briefly read your posts but it's clear you are very in the know re Watergate. FWIT I have also long thought Bob Bennett was the most likely DT. Tho I also agree with you assessment of Woodward himself.

I look forward to seeing Doug Caddy's reply to your terrific questions.

Like the assassaination of JFk, Wategate is a great mystery and I remember being

glewed to the tube during the hearings. When Butterflield's name came up I was on pins and needles, thinking it might venture into the 12/8/72 murder of Dorothy Hunt- (and others including CBS's Michelle Clark and the captain of the plane, "WHitehouse". What a sense of humor these bastards have eh?).

Alas, the plane crash, while briefly mentioned, took a quick back page to the tapes and some of the more pressing issues were not even mentioned. In fact it was more like the Warren Commission, only televised.

No-one at the hearings asked if McCord was a double agent (so obvious from just what was in the local press!) or delve into what was truly going on. It was just "What did the president know and when did he know it?" Of course Nixon was too drunk by then to even figure out for himself that he was being ousted, or if he did guess, he could not reveal all the secrets....like whatever he erased on the 23 minute tape.

We know that his 6/23 reference to "the whole bay of pigs thing" was a reference to the Kennedy assassination. (And I sure didn't need Haldemen to tell me THAT-it too was obvious) So if he left THAT in the tapes just imagine what he erased.

Your posts are most inticing, and I will look forward to reading in full when I too have more time.

This forum rocks!!

Dawn

Like I said, a grain of salt.

I have a complete salt block set aside for each of the co-conspirators.

And speaking of blocks, I'm beginning to wonder now if the prolific Mr. Caddy has developed sudden writer's block over these few simple questions I've asked (now in their own thread).

Ashton Gray

I apologize for the delay in responding to various recent inquiries about Watergate that have been posted in the Forum. The fault is all mine. I am in the midst of writing a new book and have been caught up in the initial work involved. The book will contain a reference to the Forum to encourage its readers to consult the invaluable information that has been posted by Forum members about both the Kennedy assassination and Watergate.

Since I am lagging at the present time in responding to a number of these inquiries in the Forum, please give me two or three days to read these thoroughly, which will be followed by my detailed replies.

Again, my apologies. No slight was intended by my recent failure to respond.

Since I am lagging at the present time in responding to a number of these inquiries in the Forum, please give me two or three days to read these thoroughly, which will be followed by my detailed replies.

Again, my apologies. No slight was intended by my recent failure to respond.

Apologies? For my part, perish the thought! On the contrary, the questions I posed in this thread have been languishing and collecting dust in the "Unasked-Unanswered" basket for 34 years. The prospect of them receiving "detailed replies" in a mere two or three more days is worth standing in line for—the whole two or three days.

Apologies? Not at all. Klieg lights!

Ashton Gray

I see that questioning these JFK/Watergate players hasn't changed. Outside a courtroom, it's still like nailing Jello to a wall.

Hi, Richard. Mr. Caddy actually responded in the separate thread I created for the questions. That exchange is here:

Douglas Caddy, Hunt, Liddy, Mullen, and the CIA

After that, you might find of some interest my last three-part series of messages in response to Alfred Baldwin in this thread:

Alfred Baldwin

For background, you also might enjoy There was no "first break-in" at the Watergate and its foundational articles (linked therein).

And after that, I believe you'll see how the article, The "Pentagon Papers" was a CIA op, fits into all the foregoing.

I've come to the opinion that the solution to the Jello problem is to place it on a level horizontal surface, then drop the wall on it. No nails required.

I continue to strongly suspect that Admiral Bobby Ray Inman is Deep Throat.

"Deep Throat" was intel agent Bob Woodward's imaginary friend, a very stupid literary device used to justify inside knowledge he'd had before the whole thing even started.

It's a malicious snipe hunt, just like "who ordered the first break-in"—which never happened at all. It's an endlessly unanswerable question. That's what they intended. That's how we all got left holding the bag.

Just between you and me, there ain't no snipes. Let's go back to camp and have some smores to salve feeling like gullible fools.

Ashton Gray

I see that questioning these JFK/Watergate players hasn't changed. Outside a courtroom, it's still like nailing Jello to a wall.

Hi, Richard. Mr. Caddy actually responded in the separate thread I created for the questions. That exchange is here:

Douglas Caddy, Hunt, Liddy, Mullen, and the CIA

After that, you might find of some interest my last three-part series of messages in response to Alfred Baldwin in this thread:

Alfred Baldwin

For background, you also might enjoy There was no "first break-in" at the Watergate and its foundational articles (linked therein).

And after that, I believe you'll see how the article, The "Pentagon Papers" was a CIA op, fits into all the foregoing.

I've come to the opinion that the solution to the Jello problem is to place it on a level horizontal surface, then drop the wall on it. No nails required.

Thanks for the references, Ashton. I spotted those yesterday, and I will read them.

I continue to strongly suspect that Admiral Bobby Ray Inman is Deep Throat.
"Deep Throat" was intel agent Bob Woodward's imaginary friend, a very stupid literary device used to justify inside knowledge he'd had before the whole thing even started.

It's a malicious snipe hunt, just like "who ordered the first break-in"—which never happened at all. It's an endlessly unanswerable question. That's what they intended. That's how we all got left holding the bag.

Just between you and me, there ain't no snipes. Let's go back to camp and have some smores to salve feeling like gullible fools.

Ashton Gray

I have often wanted to agree with the "imaginary friend" view of DT. What I have to get past, though, is that much of the DT info could have been obtained only from NSA-type data mining. Did Woodward have that kind of access directly, instead of through a guy like his friend Inman, an Admiral with Naval-Intel/Signal-Corp access? Your certainty tells me there is good evidence for Woodward's direct, prior knowledge, and/or slam-dunk evidence excluding Inman. Can you direct me to that specific information?

• 2 years later...

The BBC is reporting that Felt = 100% Deep Throat - a rather long leap and journalistic misdeed, IMO.

They said the same on BBC TV news today. However, they did show a news conference where Mark Felt denied he was Deep Throat. As he said, he would admit it if it was true as he thought it would have been his moral duty to remove a corrupt politician from power. However, he said, it was not possible to take credit for being Deep Throat.

The BBC is reporting that Felt = 100% Deep Throat - a rather long leap and journalistic misdeed, IMO.

They said the same on BBC TV news today. However, they did show a news conference where Mark Felt denied he was Deep Throat. As he said, he would admit it if it was true as he thought it would have been his moral duty to remove a corrupt politician from power. However, he said, it was not possible to take credit for being Deep Throat.

Thank you your commentary above. It is most revealing about Mark Felt, as my upcoming book will show. Also illuminating is today's New York Times online obituary, whose sixth paragraph begins with these words: "Without Mr. Felt, there might not have been a Watergate..." Stayed tuned for .......

In 1979 Mark Felt decided to make some money by publishing an autobiography. "The FBI Pyramid: Inside the FBI" was co-written with Ralph de Toledano. He told Felt that the book would sell more copies if he admitted to being Deep Throat. Toledano later claimed: "Felt swore to me that he was not Deep Throat, that he had never leaked information to the Woodward-Bernstein team or anyone else. The book was published and bombed."

In "The FBI Pyramid: Inside the FBI" Felt wrote: "I was supposed to be jealous of Gray for having received the appointment as Acting Director instead of myself. They felt that my high position in the FBI gave me access to all the Watergate information and that I was releasing it to Woodward and Bernstein in an effort to discredit Gray so that he would be removed and I would have another chance at the job. Then there were those frequent instances when I had been much less than cooperative in responding to requests from the White House which I felt were improper. I suppose the White House staff had me tagged as an insubordinate. It is true I would like to have been appointed FBI director... but I never leaked information to Woodward and Bernstein or anyone else!"

Ralph de Toledano was furious when it was announced that Felt was Deep Throat. De Toledano opened a lawsuit against Felt. In August 2007, a DC judge ordered the lawsuit, continued by De Toledano's sons, into arbitration.