The Education Forum

MKULTRA and the assassination

Lee Forman

Doppelgangers again!

Jack :tomatoes

I have a question for any and all persons that have been reading this thread, but especially to people such as Jack White, Dixie Dea and the old school, [no slight intended, somewhat older, lol] who are more able to shed light on what could potentially be a very significant matter, pertaining to the events of November 22, 1963.

Before I ask the question, I will state categorically that I am subject to the same problems of aging, and memory. Which is why I use the word potentially, and have also scoured the multitude of issues of Forgive My Grief and The Continuing Inquiry, without any success in tracking this information down. There are some issues, of the Continuing Inquiry which, are next to impossible to find, so that may account for why I have not been able to run this allegation down.

Somewhere, at one time, I read a story to the effect of the following account recorded.....

On November 22, 1963, after the assassination, a man was taken into custody by the Dallas Police, amidst the jeers and catcalls of onlookers in Dealey Plaza. The man was dressed in the attire of a professional assassin, all in black. Later it was discovered, that there was no record of this person's arrest, or any information whatsoever on who he may have been.

Jack and I have both noted that there are more than a couple of examples of inaccurate stories in The Continuing Inquiry, which is where I, at one time, may have seen the above account given.

What makes the above intruiging, is that in the article I saw years ago, there was a photographic reproduction of the above which was a photocopy of a photograph, accompanying the story.......I have been down the road of reading very incredible accounts of events that were alleged to have happened that day, only to find a validly discredited allegation or someone who was mistaken in their recollections.

Ironically, not all of these mistaken accounts are detrimental to the coincidence theorist's. There is, for those who are detractors of the [Posner, Bugliosi & Fuhrman, not a law firm, lol] school of political assassination correctness, the very discredited account of seeing Oswald at the 6th floor snipers perch who was a big part of the coverage of that day, named Howard Brennan.

One of America's biggest problems these day's is dealing with all of the problems facing this country. Everything from global financial instability, to the culture war between the Democrat's and Republican's, to the simple fact that it is ultimately, endemic corruption more than any other issue, that has caused the shattering of what was once called the American Dream.

Lost in the shuffle, to the utter horror of intelligent persons, is the fact that corruption is America's biggest problem, and has been for several decades now. If the issue of corruption were satisfactorily resolved to a resolute certainty, a great deal of the "instabilty" would disappear and we could all be living the kind of life, that befits a true superpower.

And that is perhaps the most fitting legacy I can address on the 45th anniversary of one of America's most beloved President's, notwithstanding claims to the contrary.

Edited by Robert Howard

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron

In the book JFK : The Second Plot, there is some information of an arrest of a young man in a black leather jacket,

and gloves...who had been in the Dal Tex building....I do not have his source, only a note I made...??

Whomever there was no further record....Could be in there that you read such or ??

I also have this FBI document below, for whatever it may be worth to you.....there are some names listed..

If you find any more information please let us know. It is one of those, I never got back to...

Thanks

B..

Edited by Bernice Moore

Doppelgangers again!

Jack :o

I have a question for any and all persons that have been reading this thread, but especially to people such as Jack White, Dixie Dea and the old school, [no slight intended, somewhat older, lol] who are more able to shed light on what could potentially be a very significant matter, pertaining to the events of November 22, 1963.

Before I ask the question, I will state categorically that I am subject to the same problems of aging, and memory. Which is why I use the word potentially, and have also scoured the multitude of issues of Forgive My Grief and The Continuing Inquiry, without any success in tracking this information down. There are some issues, of the Continuing Inquiry which, are next to impossible to find, so that may account for why I have not been able to run this allegation down.

Somewhere, at one time, I read a story to the effect of the following account recorded.....

On November 22, 1963, after the assassination, a man was taken into custody by the Dallas Police, amidst the jeers and catcalls of onlookers in Dealey Plaza. The man was dressed in the attire of a professional assassin, all in black. Later it was discovered, that there was no record of this person's arrest, or any information whatsoever on who he may have been.

Jack and I have both noted that there are more than a couple of examples of inaccurate stories in The Continuing Inquiry, which is where I, at one time, may have seen the above account given.

What makes the above intruiging, is that in the article I saw years ago, there was a photographic reproduction of the above which was a photocopy of a photograph, accompanying the story.......I have been down the road of reading very incredible accounts of events that were alleged to have happened that day, only to find a validly discredited allegation or someone who was mistaken in their recollections.

Ironically, not all of these mistaken accounts are detrimental to the coincidence theorist's. There is, for those who are detractors of the [Posner, Bugliosi & Fuhrman, not a law firm, lol] school of political assassination correctness, the very discredited account of seeing Oswald at the 6th floor snipers perch who was a big part of the coverage of that day, named Howard Brennan.

One of America's biggest problems these day's is dealing with all of the problems facing this country. Everything from global financial instability, to the culture war between the Democrat's and Republican's, to the simple fact that it is ultimately, endemic corruption more than any other issue, that has caused the shattering of what was once called the American Dream.

Lost in the shuffle, to the utter horror of intelligent persons, is the fact that corruption is America's biggest problem, and has been for several decades now. If the issue of corruption were satisfactorily resolved to a resolute certainty, a great deal of the "instabilty" would disappear and we could all be living the kind of life, that befits a true superpower.

And that is perhaps the most fitting legacy I can address on the 45th anniversary of one of America's most beloved President's, notwithstanding claims to the contrary.

The Penn Jones Library at Baylor University has every issue of Penn's TCI and will copy them for

a nominal fee. Contact Ben Rogers at Ben_Rogers@baylor.edu

I think they are all indexed so if you can give them a subject or particular story to look up for you,

I think they will perform a search for you.

They also have all issues of the Third and Fourth Decade newsletters.

Jack

Before I continue from my last post, I would like to thank both Jack White and Bernice Moore for their help. Although I could have waited, I am fairly intrigued by [bernice's mention] Matthew Smith's account of this "incident."

It is mentioned on page 108 of JFK: The Second Plot......

"Interestingly, there were several arrests made in the Dal Tex Building. A young man wearing a black leather jacket and black gloves was taken to the Sheriff's Office who, according to the police.....'had been in the building across the street from the Book Depository without a good excuse.' No record appears to exist of the man or of any interrogation, however and he seems to have slipped away from the Sheriff's Office and disappeared, without even anything to indicate he was thereafter sought.......

I hate wild goose chases, so I wonder if this is simply Larry Florer and there is no mystery.......

“Atsugi Assassins" New book by former marine claims he and Oswald were brainwashed at Atsugi.

Don't know if this has been posted already. Although the book is listed on Amazon as Out-of-print, I gather it is available as print-on-demand.

Published - Saturday, November 15, 2008

Onalaska author says his book exonerates John F. Kennedy’s assassin

Hawk Jensen of Onalaska is the author of Atsugi Assassins, where he states his theory about a military mind control program that he was unknowingly part of. PETER THOMSON photo

By TERRY RINDFLEISCH / trindfleisch@lacrossetribune.com

ONALASKA -- Harlan “Hawk” Jensen believes he has written a book that finally exonerates Lee Harvey Oswald.

The 70-year-old Onalaska investment and insurance broker who served with Oswald in the Marines said his self-published book, “Atsugi Assassins,” shows Oswald was the subject of CIA mind control, wasn’t President John Kennedy’s assassin and never fired a shot on Nov. 22, 1963.

Jensen said he doesn’t know for sure who shot Kennedy, but he believes the assassination was a conspiracy by some factions inside the CIA.

Jensen said he, too, was a subject of mind control serving in Atsugi, Japan, which was the headquarters for the CIA’s top-secret MKULTRA mind-control program and the U-2 spy plane project.

“Oswald was used as a mind-controlled guinea pig,” Jensen said. “When he said he was a patsy, he wrote his death warrant because I believe at that moment he realized and they realized he remembered things he shouldn’t have remembered.”

Jensen thinks the book, published in March, might get more attention with the 45th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination.

“I’m not a nut-job, I’m of sound mind and body,” Jensen said. “I wanted to restore Oswald’s name and remove his dishonorable discharge for his family.

“His daughters have had this stigma over them since childhood of their father having killed the president of the United States,” he said.

Jensen said he sent his book to Marina Oswald Porter, Oswald’s widow, and they talk weekly by phone. He said Marina liked his book, and she is more convinced than ever that her husband did not kill Kennedy.

Jensen said he first met Oswald on mess duty in Atsugi and later on a secret mission in the mountains of Taiwan during the height of the Cold War.

Jensen, who was born and raised in Viroqua, said it took him years to pull together the pieces of the story because drugs and hypnosis were used to control his mind.

“I don’t remember everything,” Jensen said. “Things were removed from my memory. I flirted with a book for a long time; it was one of the most important things to get this down.

“I needed to write this to remove this monkey of government lies and cover-up off my back, which has been ongoing for over 50 years,” he said.

Some of his Marine friends were under mind control, and some had doubles, possibly Oswald, too, he said. “My fellow Marines said the book was good, and did not refute what I said,” Jensen said.

Jensen admits he has been obsessed with Kennedy’s assassin since the day he saw Oswald on TV as the murder suspect.

“Oswald and I were above average Marines handled by MKULTRA, and we didn’t know it,” Jensen said. “I’m embarrassed by being controlled and a little angry about being obsessed in search for answers, but I fared better than Oswald.

“I’ve dumped my bucket with this book,” he said. “This is part of history, and some day we will learn the truth. It might be out there now.”

By the Book

WHAT: “Atsugi Assassins” by Harlan “Hawk” Jensen

AVAILABLE: Available at buybooksontheweb.com, borders.com and amazon.com.

PRICE: $23.95

ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: To see a video of Harlan “Hawk” Jensen talking about how he and Lee Harvey Oswald were part of the mind-control program, look for this story at lacrossetribune.com

In his daughter's words

Here’s what Harlan “Hawk” Jensen’s daughter, Tracy, says about his book:

“For as long as I can remember, my father talked about being used as a mind-control subject during his military service. When I was younger, his stories appealed to me because they seemed strange and mysterious. But as an adult, I feel outrage at his accounts of the extraordinary events that happened to him while he served in the U.S. military. I am proud that he had the courage to write about what may be considered very controversial events. Although I knew the details of my father’s experience, it was incredibly satisfying to see it documented within the pages of ‘Atsugi Assassins.’ ”

All stories copyright 2000 - 2006 La Crosse Tribune and other attributed sources.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/20...news/00lead.txt

In the new Dick Russell book there is a reference to something called ZR/ALERT that Angleton had a finger in. It is interesting how it comes up in this

CIA memo, given the Blakey was very cooperative with the CIA. Someone felt that he should not be caught off guard, while at the same time insisting that it was not relevent to the HSCA investigation. It also seems interesting that the program mentioned seems connected to Mexico City.

A paper co-authored by Heath, Silva, and a few others, and published in Comprehensive Psychiatry 1960, was titled: "Comparative

Effects of the Adinistration of taraxein,d-LSD, Mescaline, and Psilocybin to Human Volunteers." The Introduction stated, "The patient

donors are housed in a special Tulane University Research Unit at the East Louisiana State Hospital,Jackson." The experiments were

sponsored by a grant from the Commonwealth Fund, later indentified as having also been a CIA front.

In 1999, the CIA released a memorandum generated more than twenty years earlier. It pertained to "Recent Discovery of Project

ZR/ALERT Documents--A Study of the Use of Psychological Programming for Intelligence Purposes." Project ZR/ALERT, according to

to the memo, concerned "exploration and experiments by the CI staff of the use of hypnotism in certain operational situations." CI

referred to Counterintelligence, the Agency branch run by James Angleton.

The memo, generated by Bruce T. Johnson for CIA General Counsel Emile L. Julian, went on to say special handling of the documents

from Mexico City is called for, I believe.... The events described in these documents took place in the Summer of 1963, a period in the

life of the Mexico City Station which is of intense interest to the HSCA.

It was suggested that since the documents "have no bearing upon the investigations" of the HSCA, its Chief Counsel its Chief Counsel,

Bob Blakey should be allowed to review them in order to "dispel concerns"

130 ZR/ALERT:CIA "Memorandum for:Gneral Counsel, Attention: Emile L. Julian," May 17 1978 (www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docid=26123&relPageID=2)

• 3 weeks later...
In the new Dick Russell book there is a reference to something called ZR/ALERT that Angleton had a finger in. It is interesting how it comes up in this

CIA memo, given the Blakey was very cooperative with the CIA. Someone felt that he should not be caught off guard, while at the same time insisting that it was not relevent to the HSCA investigation. It also seems interesting that the program mentioned seems connected to Mexico City.

A paper co-authored by Heath, Silva, and a few others, and published in Comprehensive Psychiatry 1960, was titled: "Comparative

Effects of the Adinistration of taraxein,d-LSD, Mescaline, and Psilocybin to Human Volunteers." The Introduction stated, "The patient

donors are housed in a special Tulane University Research Unit at the East Louisiana State Hospital,Jackson." The experiments were

sponsored by a grant from the Commonwealth Fund, later indentified as having also been a CIA front.

In 1999, the CIA released a memorandum generated more than twenty years earlier. It pertained to "Recent Discovery of Project

ZR/ALERT Documents--A Study of the Use of Psychological Programming for Intelligence Purposes." Project ZR/ALERT, according to

to the memo, concerned "exploration and experiments by the CI staff of the use of hypnotism in certain operational situations." CI

The memo, generated by Bruce T. Johnson for CIA General Counsel Emile L. Julian, went on to say special handling of the documents

from Mexico City is called for, I believe.... The events described in these documents took place in the Summer of 1963, a period in the

It was suggested that since the documents "have no bearing upon the investigations" of the HSCA, its Chief Counsel its Chief Counsel,

130 ZR/ALERT:CIA "Memorandum for:Gneral Counsel, Attention: Emile L. Julian," May 17 1978 (www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docid=26123&relPageID=2)

The previous post is of immense value in my opinion, but I would like to mention something I just discovered. There is at mary ferrell's website a HSCA Files section, which mentions Thomas R. Peasner.

What is unusual about the document I was viewing, is that not only is a page missing, "withdrawn from the JFK Collection," it states, but the only page viewable is dated from June 1953, the document gives the appearance that Thomas R. Pearson was of interest because, if I am getting this straight, he was a POW held by the Chinese Communists.

....What makes this so strange is I was googling the name, when I saw that Peter Fokes has an alt.assassination.jfk post on him with the title

"Carousel Club Pianist Disappeared After Buying Rifle in 11/63," citing documents on maryferrell.org and Warren Commission CD 736.

See

Carousel Club Pianist Disappeared After Buying Rifle in 11/63?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.assassi...7aaacf6e16?lnk=

Seems mildly interesting, to say the least...

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...o?docSetId=1269

This is the link to the segment on Peasner in WCD 736

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=353807

PEASNER, THOMAS R.

Sources: CD 736, p. 44

Mary's

Comments: Former pianist at Carousel who had just left employment. On 11/9/63, he bought .22 caliber automatic Browning rifle SW R706898 at Sears, Arlington, TX, for $75,99 with insufficient funds check on Republic National Bank. DOB: 10/19/29. 6'1" 140 lbs. Brown hair, blue eyes. Texas Drivers' License 0155824. Apparently this is Thomas R. Peasner, III. A Thomas R. Peasner, Jr., died Fri, Oct 2, 1970. Survived by son Thomas R. Peasner, III.

There are 38 hits under Peasner at NARA.

http://www.nara.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/25790/jfksnew.txt

Personally, I feel a little bit strange that I have never heard of this. There were several newspaper articles concerning him circa 1953, evidently he participated in radio broadcasts to stateside, wishing his family a Merry Christmas. He graduated from Crozier Tech., before the war in Korea.

Edited by Robert Howard

Nat,

this is from John Mark's book:

The test, noted in that one released document, did not take place until July 1963—a full three years after the Counterintelligence experimental program began, during which interval the Agency is claiming that no other field experiments took place. According to a CIA man who participated in this test, the Counterintelligence Staff in Washington asked the CIA station in Mexico City to find a suitable candidate for a rapid induction experiment. The station proposed a low-level agent, whom the Soviets had apparently doubled. A Counterintelligence man flew in from Washington and a hypnotic consultant arrived from California. Our source and a fellow case officer brought the agent to a motel room on a pretext. "I puffed him up with his importance," says the Agency man. "I said the bosses wanted to see him and of course give him more money." Waiting in an adjoining room was the hypnotic consultant. At a prearranged time, the two case officers gently grabbed hold of the agent and tipped his chair over until the back was touching the floor. The consultant was supposed to rush in at that precise moment and apply the technique. Nothing happened. The consultant froze, unable to do the deed. "You can imagine what we had to do to cover-up," says the official, who was literally left holding the agent. "We explained we had heard a noise, got excited, and tipped him down to protect him. He was so grubby for money he would have believed any excuse."

Some speculation on who the players are here:

"Counterintelligence man" from Washington = George Hunter White

Failed "Hypnotic consultant" from California = Dr William Joseph Bryan

Low level agent "apparently doubled by Soviets = Licozy-3

--------------------------------------

Robert,

Thanks for posting the Peasner material. Pete (Fokes) cops some flak for being a mod on McAdams' newsgroup, which is a pity because it deflects interest away from some very intriguing material he's dug up over the years.

I do think the Peasner story deserves further attention. It would be interesting even if it turned out to have no connection to the assassination.

• 3 weeks later...

Vets sue CIA, DoD over military experiments

By PAUL ELIAS

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Six veterans who say they were exposed to dangerous chemicals, germs and mind-altering drugs during Cold War-era experiments filed a federal lawsuit against the CIA, Department of Defense and other agencies Wednesday.

The veterans say they volunteered for military experiments as part of a wide-ranging program started in the 1950s to test nerve agents, biological weapons and mind-control techniques, but were not properly informed of the nature of the experiments.

They blame the experiments for poor health and are demanding the government provide their health care. They also want the court to rule that the program was illegal because its administrators failed to get their consent.

Marie Harf, a CIA spokeswoman, declined to comment on the lawsuit, which seeks class action status on behalf of all participants allegedly exposed to harmful experiments without their knowledge. Vietnam Veterans of America, a veterans advocacy group, is also a plaintiff.

The suit, filed in San Francisco, alleges that at least 7,800 U.S. military personnel served as volunteers to test experimental drugs such as LSD at the Edgewood Arsenal near Baltimore, Md., during a program that lasted into the 1970s, and that many others volunteered for similar experiments at other locations.

"In virtually all cases, troops served in the same capacity as laboratory rats or guinea pigs," the lawsuit states.

The suit contends that veterans were wrongfully used as test subjects in experiments such as MK-ULTRA, a CIA project from the 1950s and '60s that involved brainwashing and administering experimental drugs like LSD to unsuspecting individuals. The project was the target of several congressional inquiries in the 1970s and was tied to at least one death.

Guest Tom Scully

Robert,

Results of a search at familysearch.org, below. Apparently the Carousel club pianist, according to these results, was "Jr."

The name and address of the "submitter", is displayed in the actual search results. These "submitters" usually are part of

the Mormon church effort to baptize in the Mormon faith, the names of all of the dead non-church members, found by those

associated with Mormonism....

Thomas Rodman Peasner Jr. Compact Disc #136 Pin #764146 Pedigree

Sex: M

Event(s)

Birth: 9 Oct 1929

, , Texas, USA

Death: 1 Oct 1970

Dallas, Dallas, Texas, USA

Burial: 5 Oct 1970

Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery, Texas

Parents

Father: Thomas Rodman Peasner Disc #136 Pin #764136

Marriage(s)

Spouse:

Marriage:

Other Event(s)

Captured and returned in No. Korea: 1949-1953

Korean War Casualtie

Peasner III:

http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3693

Name: Thomas R. Peasner

SSN: 466-xx-xxx6

Born: 30 Oct 1950

Died: 4 Feb 2004

State (Year) SSN issued: Texas (1964)

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=tho...us&ie=UTF-8

Feb 14, 2004

Peasner III, Thomas R., 53, of Vancouver, died Feb. 4

• 4 weeks later...

I am updating this thread mainly to point out to John Simkin that [on page 7 of this thread] is some very pertinent information regarding the Oltmans/DeMohenschildt affair in Europe. Also with regards to Eric Ritzek, his written account of activities can be found here.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=301

This rambling narrative is entitled The Day of the Thump.

A easier to read version can be found here.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=1

Another aspect to the whole DeMohrenschildt deterioration, was an allegation, in the National Inquirer [let the reader beware]

that while DeMohrenschildt was hospitalized "he talked," to a person identified as Wilson, who was "a manual laborer."

The inference being that he, was the conduit through which the Enquirer got their scoop. Of course his name is protected.

On the other hand, the article is not exactly poop, depending on your perception, it has quotations of Bradley Ayers and Victor Marchetti and others attesting that if Oswald had a 201 file he was a CIA agent, as well as A.J. Weberman.....

Here's the link, although it is probably going to be hard to read.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=130

Edited by Robert Howard

The previous post is of immense value in my opinion, but I would like to mention something I just discovered. There is at mary ferrell's website a HSCA Files section, which mentions Thomas R. Peasner.

What is unusual about the document I was viewing, is that not only is a page missing, "withdrawn from the JFK Collection," it states, but the only page viewable is dated from June 1953, the document gives the appearance that Thomas R. Pearson was of interest because, if I am getting this straight, he was a POW held by the Chinese Communists.

....What makes this so strange is I was googling the name, when I saw that Peter Fokes has an alt.assassination.jfk post on him with the title

"Carousel Club Pianist Disappeared After Buying Rifle in 11/63," citing documents on maryferrell.org and Warren Commission CD 736.

See

PEASNER, THOMAS R.

Mary's

Comments: Former pianist at Carousel who had just left employment. On 11/9/63, he bought .22 caliber automatic Browning rifle SW R706898 at Sears, Arlington, TX, for $75,99 with insufficient funds check on Republic National Bank. DOB: 10/19/29. 6'1" 140 lbs. Brown hair, blue eyes. Texas Drivers' License 0155824. Apparently this is Thomas R. Peasner, III. A Thomas R. Peasner, Jr., died Fri, Oct 2, 1970. Survived by son Thomas R. Peasner, III.

Personally, I feel a little bit strange that I have never heard of this. There were several newspaper articles concerning him circa 1953, evidently he participated in radio broadcasts to stateside, wishing his family a Merry Christmas. He graduated from Crozier Tech., before the war in Korea.

FYI

The grandson of Thomas Peasner Jr. submitted a few posts to alt.assassination.jfk. He wrote:

"The son, Thomas Rodman Peasner, III was my father. He was not

affiliated with Jack Ruby in any way, aside from knowing that his

father Thomas Rodman Peasner, Jr. played piano in Jack Ruby's bar and

sometimes played poker with him (Jr, not the third). My father has

said he was young when this occured and that he didn't know anything

more."

In another post, he wrote: "Reading that he bought a gun for Jack Ruby and

disappeared is news to me. I can see it happening, though. I can't see

him being a gunman. My father said his father played poker with Ruby on

the weekends sometimes, but it could have been a cover. I think he saw

them in the house once, talking."

Regards,

Peter Fokes,

Toronto

See

PEASNER, THOMAS R.

Mary's

FYI

The grandson of Thomas Peasner Jr. submitted a few posts to alt.assassination.jfk. He wrote:

more."

Regards,

Peter Fokes,

Toronto

Thanks Peter, all I can say about all of this is that someone over at alt.assassination.jfk seemed pretty convinced that Peasner was really important, other than that I do not know anymore about Peasner's significance or insignificance, than anyone else.

But while we are on the MKULTRA thread, I thought I would bring something to everyone's attention, which I found interesting.

On the McAdams site is a pdf file listing of all the "secret WC Documents," ostensibly material that was classified decades ago.

http://karws.gso.uri.edu/Marsh/WC/ARCH.DOC

If you graduated from JFK 101, you probably could learn something just by looking at the name subject descriptions of the various documents.....lol

I basically took one [a document], for a spin, about Paul Carroll in El Paso, he was supposed to meet with a newspaper group and wanted an FBI agent present.....Story is that he had claimed he was going to write a book about the JFK Assassination, but somebody "bought him off." The FBI wasn't interested in honoring his request to accompany him to the newspaper group meeting with the El Paso Herald Post. Long and the short of it, Carroll was from Ohio and had been attending the Univ of Texas as well as once being a patient at Timberlawn Psychiatric Hospital, presumably the one at Dallas, and was there due to an overdose of dexidrine related to family issues. Quite the laundry list.

There were two psychiatrists mentioned in this document, summarily speaking, one said he was a paranoid schizophrenic and the other stated he had recovered from his familial issues [Dr's Edmund Jones of El Paso and John Reittman of Dallas. As I understand what the document attempts to explain is, that Carroll was basically getting freaked out because of the fallout his earlier mentioned "comments" had caused.

And one of the doctors mentioned Carroll had "flights of fancy" which led him to desire and create situations that thrust him into the "center of attention," the obvious implication, being that Carroll had made the whole story of writing a book about the JFK assassination up. So the question is, if that was the case why did the attorney's subpoena him in the first place?

In the end, he did what some politicians of ill repute have done when they sink into a morass, they deny, deny, deny.

So the point is why would this document have been classified in the first place?

My thoughts are that one, it would have been one more unstable person, to add to what is, a very, very, long list of "unstable" individuals, assassins or not, and drugs are also a common denominator in some of the Dallas activity that the WC chose not to get into. I cannot accept the idea that he made the story up, because if that were the case, then there would have been no need for it to be classified in the first place.

WCD 933 FBI Investigation of Paul V. Carroll / El Paso

Edited by Robert Howard

• 1 year later...

See

PEASNER, THOMAS R.

Mary's

http://www.nara.gov/...790/jfksnew.txt

FYI

more."

Regards,

Peter Fokes,

Toronto

Thanks Peter, all I can say about all of this is that someone over at alt.assassination.jfk seemed pretty convinced that Peasner was really important, other than that I do not know anymore about Peasner's significance or insignificance, than anyone else.

But while we are on the MKULTRA thread, I thought I would bring something to everyone's attention, which I found interesting.

On the McAdams site is a pdf file listing of all the "secret WC Documents," ostensibly material that was classified decades ago.

http://karws.gso.uri...rsh/WC/ARCH.DOC

If you graduated from JFK 101, you probably could learn something just by looking at the name subject descriptions of the various documents.....lol

I basically took one [a document], for a spin, about Paul Carroll in El Paso, he was supposed to meet with a newspaper group and wanted an FBI agent present.....Story is that he had claimed he was going to write a book about the JFK Assassination, but somebody "bought him off." The FBI wasn't interested in honoring his request to accompany him to the newspaper group meeting with the El Paso Herald Post. Long and the short of it, Carroll was from Ohio and had been attending the Univ of Texas as well as once being a patient at Timberlawn Psychiatric Hospital, presumably the one at Dallas, and was there due to an overdose of dexidrine related to family issues. Quite the laundry list.

There were two psychiatrists mentioned in this document, summarily speaking, one said he was a paranoid schizophrenic and the other stated he had recovered from his familial issues [Dr's Edmund Jones of El Paso and John Reittman of Dallas. As I understand what the document attempts to explain is, that Carroll was basically getting freaked out because of the fallout his earlier mentioned "comments" had caused.

And one of the doctors mentioned Carroll had "flights of fancy" which led him to desire and create situations that thrust him into the "center of attention," the obvious implication, being that Carroll had made the whole story of writing a book about the JFK assassination up. So the question is, if that was the case why did the attorney's subpoena him in the first place?

In the end, he did what some politicians of ill repute have done when they sink into a morass, they deny, deny, deny.

So the point is why would this document have been classified in the first place?

My thoughts are that one, it would have been one more unstable person, to add to what is, a very, very, long list of "unstable" individuals, assassins or not, and drugs are also a common denominator in some of the Dallas activity that the WC chose not to get into. I cannot accept the idea that he made the story up, because if that were the case, then there would have been no need for it to be classified in the first place.

WCD 933 FBI Investigation of Paul V. Carroll / El Paso

Posted for informational puposes......

Raymond Bernard Allen 1902-1986

Trained as a medical doctor, Dr. Raymond B. Allen served as president of University of Washington (UW) from 1946 to 1951. Although his time at the UW was a relatively brief stop in a career that took him to the highest levels of academia and government, it was one of the most controversial periods in the school’s history. Allen recommended the firing of three professors in 1949 for suspected Communist associations, which kindled a rash of similar dismissals at universities and colleges across the country. After leaving the UW, he served briefly as director of the U.S. Psychological Strategy Board before becoming chancellor of the University of California at Los Angeles from 1952 to 1959. He then served as Indonesian director for the U.S. International Cooperation Administration and later with the World Health Organization in Washington, D.C. The Seattle-King County Association of Realtors named Raymond Allen First Citizen of 1949.

Midwest Roots

Raymond Allen was born in Cathay, North Dakota, on August 7, 1902. His father was a Methodist minister. He earned a bachelor’s degree in 1924 and his medical doctor degree in 1928, both at the University of Minnesota. Allen practiced briefly as a country doctor, but entered medical school administration in 1933, serving successively in New York, Detroit, and Chicago. He practiced for two years as a family physician in his home state and in 1930 won Mayo Fellowship, with which he earned a Ph.D., again at the University of Minnesota.

His specialty was urology, but he went into medical administration, beginning in 1933, when he became director of graduate studies at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons and associate director of New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital. In 1936, he was named dean of the Wayne State University College of Medicine in Detroit, and three years later became executive dean of the Chicago Colleges of the University of Illinois and its College of Medicine.

Allen’s views on medical care were conservative-establishment. The American Medical Association at the time was campaigning bitterly against “socialized medicine” and “quacks,” that is, alternative healers such as chiropractors, homeopaths, naturopaths, and acupuncturists. Allen was on their side. In an undated speech, he said, “There is no need, in my opinion, for a national health scheme. We have fine programs of voluntary health insurance. We have industry providing medical services.”

Allen was gaining credentials in public service as well as in academia. In February 1945, six months before the Japanese surrendered and World War II ended, he served on the National Commission for Mental Hygiene, formed to determine what psychiatric and general-medicine resources were available to meet the needs of service personnel returning from war with psychiatric disabilities. He also served on the first Hoover Commission (1947-1949), which was asked to shrink the federal government and improve its efficiency and effectiveness.

University of Washington President

In 1946, after a meteoric 13 years in medical school administration, Allen was appointed president of the University of Washington at a salary of $18,000 a year. He replaced Lee Paul Sieg (1879-1963), who had been president since 1934. Allen was a “youthful” six-feet tall (Stewart), could be “one of the boys in the back room,” said one hagiographic writer, but also admitted to a temper. “Allen is a boyish, brown-eyed man who likes to make friends, talks in easy, unaffected language, enjoys a good story and is without pretense” (Miller). With Allen came his wife, Dorothy, and their four children: Raymond Jr., Charles, Dorothy, and Barbara. Dorothy had graduated from Northwestern University and also enjoyed an active civic life.

Allen would need all the managerial skill and wisdom he could muster. The university came with a volatile, often-politicized past and it was a long way from prestigious schools back East or in the San Francisco Bay Area. He took over a university that also was exploding, its enrollment virtually doubling overnight with returning World War II veterans. His view of the returning veteran was as follows: “Though interested in the needs of the veteran, he believes that a university’s first responsibility is to meet the needs of those qualified for a higher education” (Stewart).

Post-War Years

The war had frozen the UW’s physical expansion, and after the war the university sprung into a $31.5 million building binge to accommodate the influx of new students. The university opened its school of dentistry in 1945 and launched its medical school in 1946. Despite Allen’s medical background, those schools would not be his primary focus.

Allen’s vision was global. The Atomic Age had debuted the previous year with the first atomic bomb test at Alamogordo, New Mexico (July 1945), and the fallout from World War II was everywhere. In an interview published in the March 1946 Washington Alumnus, he said: “Time is running out. I would say we have but 15 years to attain the kind of world we want. We face complete destruction unless we develop the true values of life” (Stewart).

True values were sorely tested -- for Allen, for the university, and for the country, shortly after he moved into the president’s office. Radicalism runs deep in Washington state history and the 1930s Great Depression had revived interest in the need for radical reforms. Communists had gained power on the left wing of the Democratic Party, won a half dozen seats in the state Legislature, and were active in some unions.

Washington State’s Cold War

But if the state was one of the most fertile in the country for reform, it also was in the vanguard of the Red Scare and sparked what would become a national obsession. Republicans regained control of Congress in 1946 and the Washington state Republican Party also rode a virulent anti-communism platform to a landslide victory, recapturing the state Legislature.

State Rep. Albert Canwell (R-Spokane) and his joint investigative committee, immediately dubbed the “Canwell Committee,” zeroed in on the University of Washington, where there were, it was alleged, “probably no less than 150 on the faculty who are Communists or sympathizers with the Communist party” (Lange).

The resolution creating the committee carried a dire warning from no less than J. Edgar Hoover, director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and it set the tone:

"[Communist] propaganda, skillfully designed and adroitly executed has been projected into practically every phase of our national life. The Communist influence has projected itself into some newspapers, books, radio and the screen, some churches, schools, colleges and even fraternal orders have been penetrated, not with the approval of the rank and file, but in spite of them…." (Lange).

Allen’s Red Scare

In July 1948, the Canwell Committee called 11 University of Washington professors to its hearing, which was a hearing in name only, since the professors could not cross-examine their accusers or make statements in their own behalf. Following the hearing, the university administration was ready to fire six professors but a Faculty Senate Tenure Committee voted in December 1948 to dismiss only Ralph Gundlach, associate professor of psychology, and to retain the other five. The final decision was up to the university’s Board of Regents. Allen advised the regents to dismiss three -- Herbert Phillips, associate professor of philosophy, and Joseph Butterworth, assistant professor of English literature, as well as Gundlach.

Of the 703 professors on campus, 103 signed a letter criticizing the hearings as “guilt by association” (Lange). Student leaders such as Brock Adams (1927-2004), who went on to a career in Congress and the Carter administration, and Wing Luke (1925-1965), who became the first Chinese American elected to the Seattle City Council, rebuked the proceedings. The (University of Washington) Daily also criticized the Canwell Committee’s tactics, but the three professors were fired and never held academic posts again.

The University of Washington hearings became a template for similar actions elsewhere -- loyalty oaths, the tarring of any Democrat or progressive with the Red brush, and the McCarthy era. According to one writer, “Perjured informers became public heroes. A vicious anti-intellectualism was the dominant mood, and universities were naturally the first objects of attack” (Costigan).

Anti-Communist Spokesman

Allen defended his stand and became one of academia’s -- and the country’s -- most outspoken anti-communists in speeches, monographs, and newspaper articles. In a Washington Post op-ed piece on March 27, 1949, titled “Abysmal Fear Is Fuel of Communism,” Allen was unintentionally ironic when he wrote, “Man must be free to work and play and pursue his destiny without fear of any man or government.” If abysmal fear was the fuel of communism, his jingoistic rhetoric echoed the pervasive fear-mongering that characterized the anti-communist crusade.

In an open letter, “Communism and Education,” dated October 7, 1948, Allen wrote, “Academic freedom has not been abridged. ... Similarly, civil liberties are not abridged [by the Canwell Committee].” Perhaps making his point, he refused to ban visiting professor Malcolm Cowley (1898-1989), a leftist writer and critic, which rankled conservatives, and he refused to provide the U.S. House Un-American Activities Committee with a list of textbooks used at the university.

In another of the many ironies generated by the Red Scare, the Institute of Pacific Relations (IPR), a business-academic organization founded in the early 1930s, came under scrutiny of a U.S. Senate anti-communist subcommittee in 1952. The IPR board included Raymond B. Allen and among the IPR’s several Seattle-Republican members was Mike Dederer (1905-1995), a Chamber of Commerce stalwart and, like Allen, a recipient of the Seattle-King County Association of Realtors First Citizen award (1960). No one was safe from the inquisition.

A Man of Many Parts

Allen wanted the university to excel in every endeavor, including sports. During his tenure, the athletic department grew, Husky Stadium was expanded to seat 55,000 fans, and “Washington’s program now compares with Minnesota’s or Southern California’s” (Miller).

Raymond B. Allen was indeed a man of many parts, and he exercised some of them in various governmental posts, often in efforts to streamline, to improve organizational efficiency -- in institutions that had successfully thwarted reform in the past. In 1949 he took a three-month leave of absence to attempt unification of the Army, Navy, and Air Force medical services, though the three services today remain separate. In 1950, he participated in a conference of the Pentagon’s Research and Development Board to discuss a further increase in the Pentagon R&D budget. The gathering, a who’s who of academics and representatives of what would become known as the military-industrial complex, was introduced by Defense Secretary George C. Marshall (1880-1959).

In May 1951, President Harry Truman (1884-1974) called on Allen to be director of the U.S. Psychological Strategy Board, a job that required a pay cut to $16,000 a year. The board oversaw the country’s psychological warfare efforts around the globe, planned and coordinating activities of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and other involved federal entities. One of its basic functions, however, was to prevent turf battles around the world, a goal that went unrealized, as history has shown.

UCLA Beckons

Allen did not last long at the Psychological Strategy Board. The University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) in March 1951 had been granted autonomy and tapped Allen the following December as UCLA’s first chancellor, at $20,000 a year. He took office in June 1952, again at a time of great promise. UCLA was in the midst of its own boom and was establishing a medical center and schools of medicine, dentistry, and nursing. Allen appeared to be a good fit. The search committee had considered more than 50 candidates, but Allen had been the choice of Robert G. Sproul (1891-1975), the legendary -- and later controversial -- president of UC since 1930. UC-Berkeley, also consumed by the communist threat, had imposed a loyalty oath in 1950, and Sproul banned communists from speaking on campus in 1952.

One Los Angeles Times sports writer, aware of Allen’s commitment to sports at the University of Washington, called Allen “the best thing that's happened to UCLA since the single wing" (UCLA website). But football, ironically, wasn’t the best thing to happen to Raymond Allen. An investigation uncovered a practice of illegal payments to football players at UCLA and throughout the Pacific Coast Conference, which ultimately prompted its dissolution. Allen was encouraged to resign in 1959.

Last Endeavors and Awards

He was 57, but did not remain unemployed long. He became Indonesia director of the International Cooperation Administration, predecessor to the U.S. Agency for International Development. Later he joined the World Health Organization in Washington, D.C.

Allen was awarded honorary degrees from seven universities. During his Seattle tenure he was absorbed by matters at the UW, but nevertheless found time to be affiliated with the Seattle Symphony, Seattle Foundation, American Cancer Society, Seattle World Affairs Council, Community Chest, and other organizations. The Seattle-King County Association of Realtors named Allen its First Citizen of 1949.

He retired to Virginia in 1967. He died on March 15, 1986, in Fredricksburg, Virginia. He was 83 years old.

Sources:

Joe Miller, “Washington’s Prexy,” Portland Oregonian Sunday Magazine, July 9. 1950, p. 6; Anne Stewart, “Dr. R. B. Allen Elected University President,” The Washington Alumnus, March 1946, p. 5; HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, “University of Washington sees Red and fires three faculty members on January 22, 1949,” (By Greg Lange), The (University of Washington) Daily, October 28, 1969; p. 9; “Facts and History, Past Leaders: Raymond B. Allen,” UCLA website accessed February 20, 2005 (http//www.ucla.edu/chancellor/pastleaders/allen.html).