The Education Forum

Crisis

John Simkin

Ulrike Schuh-Fricke has had her application rejected because her agency claims that at least three of the institutions must be involved in teacher training. It seems that so far only David Richardson and Andy Davies represent institutions that do this.

Juan Carlos is trying to get someone from the University of Barcelona. Time seems a major problem. Unless we get this sorted out in the next few days we will probably have to cancel this year's meeting. Please let me have your thoughts on this. Do you know of any teacher training institutions that would want to get involved in our project?

Janos sent this message:

"Unfortunately, I don't know of any teacher training institutions that would like to get involved in this project. It's a pity that three such institutions are requested. Actually, I am in some ways involved in teacher training. I am for instance a mentor and some would-be teachers do their teaching practice under my supervision. But the fact remains a fact, our school is not a teacher training institution."

Ulrike Schuh-Fricke wrote:

"Bad news from my side; the German agency has in a way already rejected my application; according to the German standards at least three institutions which train and educate future teachers (like a university) or are acknowledged institutions of secondary teacher's training must be involved"

It seems Janos and Andy's schools are both involved in training teachers. I would have thought that counts. For example, E-HELP does not have three teacher training institutions.

I 've just proposed to the Greek Research Academic Computer Technology Intsitute / e-learning sector (http://www.cti.gr/engl_v/general/general_frames_page.html) to participate in our project. CTI/e-learning sector is a high experienced Institute in teacher training (esp. in ICT) with dozens of training projects in Greece and abroad. Mrs Dora Nousia who is head of the sector gave me positive feedback and she will answer us as soon as she speaks with her colleagues in the Institute.

I have just spoken on the phone to prof. Alberto Sorbini, the Director of the ISUC in Perugia (Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea)

http://isuc.crumbria.it/index2.html

They have read the material on "Citizenship" on the forum and they are interested in joining the project.

One of the projects they are carrrying on just now is "Cittadino consapevole", which could be translated as "Aware citizen".

One of their members could take part in the visit in September, so I am going to ask them all the data to complete the application form.

Caterina,

I have been visiting ISUC's web site and it looks excellent. This institution can be an excellent partner. On top of that it is a teacher training organization.

Agenzia di formazione per insegnanti sulla storia del Novecento realizza corsi e seminari in collaborazione con la Direzione generale dell’Ufficio scolastico regionale per l’Umbria (Miur) e con le scuole.

It could be interesting for EHELP project as well. ISUC is associated with Istituto nazionale per la storia del movimento di Liberazione in Italia and runs a project related to Italian Resistance in WWII.

Edited by Juan Carlos

Tasos and Caterina: I assume both of these are teacher training organizations?

Research Academic CTI is the Greek Ministry's of Education consultant on ICT matters. It's not exclusively a teacher's training organization but it has undertook many teacher training projects up to now.

ISUC is a reasearch institute and a teacher training organization which organizes courses and meetings on the history of the 20th century for teachers in cooperation with the Regional Body of the Italian Education Ministry.

Caterina,

I have been visiting ISUC's web site and it looks excellent. This institution can be an excellent partner. On top of that it is a teacher training organization.

Agenzia di formazione per insegnanti sulla storia del Novecento realizza corsi e seminari in collaborazione con la Direzione generale dell’Ufficio scolastico regionale per l’Umbria (Miur) e con le scuole.

It could be interesting for EHELP project as well. ISUC is associated with Istituto nazionale per la storia del movimento di Liberazione in Italia and runs a project related to Italian Resistance in WWII.

Juan Carlos,

I have seen your post only after writing mine.

Actually, it is a very good institution and, if you have time to have a look at their projects, you can see they are doing interesting things.

I think they could give their contribution to E-HELP as well.

Edited by Caterina Gasparini

Research academic Computer Technology Institute (CTI) responded positevely in participating in the citizenship project. Contact person is Mr. Spyros Christodoulou (shristod@cti.gr)

I am sending you a brief profile of this Institution.

In case that we agree to have CTI with us in the project they have to speed up to catch the deadline for the preparatory visit (which is ...tomorrow)

CTI (http://www.cti.gr) is an academic, non-profit R&D organization, financially and scientifically independent, supervised by the Greek Ministry of Education. Established in 1985 and hosted in several sites in two cities, Patras and Athens, CTI has a scientific staff of over 280 people and conducts basic and applied research targeting specific areas of computer science and technology. CTI has gone from strength to strength by coordinating and participating in a wide spectrum of R&D technology related European projects. CTI also acts as a Consultant of the State for IS operational programmes and has extended experience in strategic design, management and implementation of large scale IS projects.

With respect to ICT in education, CTI designed and co-ordinated a pioneering large-scale programme (~35M€) for the pedagogical utilisation of ICT in secondary education, called “Odysseia” (http://odysseia.cti.gr), and continues to act as an official Consultant of the Greek State for strategic design and selected implementations of the national ICT programme in education. Some measurable results of “Odysseia” program have been 120 university-trained and field-practiced teacher trainers of various specialties including mathematics, 400 schools with a high level of in-service training, around 80 educational SW titles and 3 applied university courses for teacher trainers. In addition, CTI has been involved in decades of European and national R&D projects related to eLearning.

The eLearning Sector of CTI has a large experience in designing and applying ICT in schools, develops innovative software for educational use, and maintains a network of active e-learning communities at several levels. It’s staff consists mainly of software developers, and it has permanent collaborations with researchers and specialized teacher trainers. Its core members had key positions in the “Odysseia” Project. During the last 3 years, the eLearning sector has designed and implemented 6 R&D projects and a large national innovation ICT project, “e-Omogeneia”, with over 70 synchronous distance courses on the educational use of ICT to Greek teachers situated in schools all over the world. (see e.g. http://ieUs.cti.gr, http://emuse.cti.gr, http://eomogeneia.cti.gr, http://isocrates.gr, etc.)

Another Sector of CTI, Further Education & Training Sector, is in charge of the technical & scientific support of the Greek Ministry of Education "Teacher Training in the use of ICT" project (http://www.cti.gr/epimorfosi) involving the training of 76.000 teachers of primary and secondary education in the acquisition of basic knowledge and skills in the use of ICT.

Tasos is under the impression that you must all get your revised application forms in by tomorrow.

It seems that the following are going to be members of the project:

1. Janos Blasszauer (Batthyany Lajos Gimnazium, Hungary)

2. Andrew Davies (Varndean School, UK)

3. Caterina Gasparini (Istituto Tecnico Industriale, Italy)

4. Anastasios Matos (Musical School of Larissa, Greece)

5. Juan Carlos Ocaña (Institution: IES Parque de Lisboa, Spain)

6. David Richardson (University of Kalmar, Sweden)

7. Ulrike Schuh-Fricke (Gymnasium Neue Oberschule, Germany)

8. John Simkin (Spartacus Educational, UK)

9. Milena Todorova (Stara Zagora, Bulgaria)

10. Spyros Christodoulou (Research Academic Computer Technology Institute, Greece)

11. Mario Tosti (Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea, Italy)

Numbers 6, 10 and 11 are directly involved in teacher training. 1 and 2 are both schools but are involved in teacher training.

Tasos is under the impression that you must all get your revised application forms in by tomorrow.

Not exactly... It is very difficult to prepare in a few hours a revised application form. As far as it concerns me, I am going to contact with my National Agent by phone and ask them if they need a new form or if it is OK with the old version.

As far as it concerns me, I am going to contact with my National Agent by phone and ask them if they need a new form or if it is OK with the old version.

This is what I am going to do.

I would like to thank Tasos and Caterina for all the hard work they have done behind the scenes to get two more teacher training institutions to join the project. This has been successful and we now have:

Spyros Christodoulou/Dora Nousia (Research Academic Computer Technology Institute, Greece)

Mario Tosti (Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea, Italy)

Spyros and Dora have both joined the Forum and hopefully will be posting their thoughts on the project.

I would like to thank Tasos and Caterina for all the hard work they have done behind the scenes to get two more  teacher training institutions to join the project. This has been successful and we now have:

Spyros Christodoulou/Dora Nousia (Research Academic Computer Technology Institute, Greece)

Mario Tosti (Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea, Italy)

The person from ISUC involved in the project will be prof. Dino Renato Nardelli, who is in charge of the "Cittadino consapevole" project.

What follows is a short presentation of ISUC:

Istituto di Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea - Institute for history of Contemporary Umbria (ISUC)

The Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea is an agency dedicated to the training of teachers on 20th Century history. It organises courses and seminars in collaboration with the Direction of Education for the Umbria region and with schools.

The Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea also carries out research in numerous areas, collaborating with various institutes. Research areas include citizenship, emigration history, territorial history, characteristics of Fascism and anti-Fascism in Umbria and the Resistance. The research activities carried out by the Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea have also led to a large number of publications, including "History of Umbria", of which there are 19 issues, from 1978 to 1994.

Istituto per la Storia dell'Umbria Contemporanea can provide its expertise as teacher training agency.

The Institute can also provide expertise in the field of historical research to the project as well as coordinate a number of Italian schools.

It can also provide the very good co-operation links it has with other Italian and international institutes operating in the field of historical research.