The Education Forum

Greatest American

John Simkin

As a mere European, it's not really my scene to comment on who is or is not the Greatest American. Although I can understand putting all the above names forward (and yet not necessarily agree with any) I'm a little shocekd at the absence of the people we've come to know as Geronimo, Pocahontas, Sitting Bull, Red Cloud (etc).

Note also that no-one has thought to mention Noam Chomsky in any of this. Or is some form of death (to include career or brain in certain cases deemed still to have a pulse) important in inclusion? ;)

• 2 years later...

What about that great american wit Cassius Clay with his devastating political quips and great courage in refusing to go to Vietnam.Also that great Detriot middleweight Henry Hank and David Thoroux of Walden Pond and U.S Grant whose wisdom and insight at the end of the civil war in not taking revenge probably ensured that the war did end at that juncture.

What about that great american wit Cassius Clay with his devastating political quips and great courage in refusing to go to Vietnam.Also that great Detriot middleweight Henry Hank and David Thoroux of Walden Pond and U.S Grant whose wisdom and insight at the end of the civil war in not taking revenge probably ensured that the war did end at that juncture.

I agree with you about Muhammed Ali. There was never anyone like him and never will be. I just wish he hadn't gotten involved with that crazy religion. This religion states that white people were invented by black people way back when. And that white people were an experiment gone wrong. According to Louis Farrakhan, the Mother Ship is coming to take the black people to a new place. A cloud follows Farrakhan wherever he goes. Inside this cloud is the Mother Ship that will take him soon to Paradise. Though I think Farrakhan will outlive us all.

Back to Ali: When he won a certain boxing match and yelled into the camera, "I'm the Champion of the world!" It brings tears to my eyes. He was so bright and funny.

My great uncle, Jackie Farrell, was Jack Dempsey's manager. About Ali and Frazier my uncle said, "To me they're both bums and neither one of them could step into the ring with Dempsey."

Oh, well.

Kathy

I agree with you about Muhammed Ali. There was never anyone like him and never will be. I just wish he hadn't gotten involved with that crazy religion. This religion states that white people were invented by black people way back when. And that white people were an experiment gone wrong. According to Louis Farrakhan, the Mother Ship is coming to take the black people to a new place. A cloud follows Farrakhan wherever he goes. Inside this cloud is the Mother Ship that will take him soon to Paradise. Though I think Farrakhan will outlive us all.

Back to Ali: When he won a certain boxing match and yelled into the camera, "I'm the Champion of the world!" It brings tears to my eyes. He was so bright and funny.

My great uncle, Jackie Farrell, was Jack Dempsey's manager. About Ali and Frazier my uncle said, "To me they're both bums and neither one of them could step into the ring with Dempsey."

Oh, well.

Kathy

kathy,I used the name Cassius Clay rather than M.Ali because like you I think he was at his best then before becoming embittered by the brotherhood.Thank you for explaining the ideas he was subjected to.Incidently I agree with your relative that Jack Dempsey was a terrific fighter having witnessed his ferocious demolision of fighters on video.However, he was too small to have beaten Clay who was as a great a boxer as he was a great person.