The Education Forum

The Ashes

John Simkin

Mark, its a batters track,I think both sides will score heavily, and a draw seems like the most realistic outcome. Still its great were giving you a real go for thr first time in 18 years. B)

Hi Steve,

It's a flat pitch but by tonight will be fairly scuffed and rutted (I think our batsmen deliberately scuff it up as much as possible. As this practise appears to favor Warnie in the second innings of matches, I must commend it as an excellent innovation, although not entirely in the spirit of fair play). I think we're toast. There'll be several changes for the 4th Test.

p.s. I heard a rumor that it rains a lot in Manchester. If rain intercedes on our behalf, resulting in a draw, we'll have to claim (like GWB) that God is on our side. :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a flat pitch but by tonight will be fairly scuffed and rutted (I think our batsmen deliberately scuff it up as much as possible. As this practise appears to favor Warnie in the second innings of matches, I must commend it as an excellent innovation, although not entirely in the spirit of fair play). I think we're toast. There'll be several changes for the 4th Test.

p.s. I heard a rumor that it rains a lot in Manchester. If rain intercedes on our behalf, resulting in a draw, we'll have to claim (like GWB) that God is on our side. :D

Rain is indeed your best chance. It has been fascinating watching the confidence of this once great team disappear. The most noticeable thing yesterday was how the Australian team reacted to the barracking of the crowd. I am sure this partly explains the mistakes they have been making in the field.

The real problem for the Australians is that they only have three test class bowlers: McGrath, Warne and Lee. This is reflected in the decision to include McGrath in the team. Despite his figures, McGrath bowled well without any luck at all. However, his performance has declined as the test has gone on and if called upon, will struggle in England’s second innings.

The key bowler in this test is Simon Jones. He can do what no other bowler in this match can do. He can get the ball to swing both ways (the pitch is giving the bowlers very little help at the moment although the spinners will cause problems as the game goes on). Vaughan still does not fully trust Jones and he was under bowled yesterday. He constantly caused problems for the batsman yesterday and I suspect the same will happen today. If England can get them all out for less than 245 and enforce the follow-on, they will win. If not, the rain will probably mean a draw. However, the tide has turned, Australia is no longer the best side in the world.

Of course all of this shows that historians/armchair experts make fairly poor predictors of future outcomes. Shame really!

I was at an indoor hockey tournament last Sunday, and I can tell you that the event of the morning at Edgbaston practically brought the tournament to a halt!

A most enjoyable series thus far, at just over half way through... B)

Ed

Australia need 423 to win the Third Test.

2nd Innings

J L Langer c G O Jones b M J Hoggard 14

M L Hayden b A Flintoff 36

R T Ponting not out 35

D R Martyn not out 2

Extras 13

Total 100

Flintoff has been bowling beautifully. The match-winner, Simon Jones, has yet to bowl.

All square with two tests left. England are entitled to feel confident about their prospects, given their mastery of the new bowling paradigm: reverse swing.

Terry Aldermen was given credit for swing bowling the Ashes back to Australia in 1989. Andy Flintoff and Simon Jones are attempting to "reverse swing" them back to England.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

Guest Stephen Turner

This is without doubt the best series for 20 years, and much closer than I had dared to hope, Have you heared the new Australian prayer. "Please god keep Warnie fit." :lol:

Edited by Stephen Turner

Of course all of this shows that historians/armchair experts make fairly poor predictors of future outcomes. Shame really!

Man for man, they are the better team. However, Flintoff is capable of anything and Strauss, Bell and Jones will all improve as the series goes on. It should be an exciting few weeks.

If England can get them all out for less than 245 and enforce the follow-on, they will win. If not, the rain will probably mean a draw. However, the tide has turned, Australia is no longer the best side in the world.

I don't think my predictions were too bad.

Man for man, they are the better team. However, Flintoff is capable of anything and Strauss, Bell and Jones will all improve as the series goes on. It should be an exciting few weeks.

If England can get them all out for less than 245 and enforce the follow-on, they will win. If not, the rain will probably mean a draw. However, the tide has turned, Australia is no longer the best side in the world.

I don't think my predictions were too bad.

Yes, that's some mighty fine predictin'. I predict Australia will regroup and win the fourth test. England's failure to win in Manchester will come back to haunt them. Australia escaped with a moral victory ie. they were outplayed, but salvaged a draw.

John and Steve, what do you predict?

Yes, that's some mighty fine predictin'. I predict Australia will regroup and win the fourth test. England's failure to win in Manchester will come back to haunt them. Australia escaped with a moral victory ie. they were outplayed, but salvaged a draw.

John and Steve, what do you predict?

I suspect you are right but I am English and will go for another draw (weather once again saving the Australians).

Actually, I think England would have won the last test if it had not been for Simon Jones having to go off injured just as the ball was getting old enough to swing both ways.

• 2 weeks later...

You still have two world class bowlers but that was not enough to save you. The injury to Simon Jones was a problem and the English attack looked less dangerous in the second innings. Collingwood will probably replace Jones in the final test. That might help us get a draw (we might also need the unpredictable weather that we get in England in September).

Yes, that's some mighty fine predictin'.

There is indeed a first time for everything.

I leave the country for a month and when I return England can play cricket and the Aussies are in turmoil :help

What was that little strop from Ponting about when he was run out?

Yes, that's some mighty fine predictin'.

There is indeed a first time for everything.

I leave the country for a month and when I return England can play cricket and the Aussies are in turmoil :lol:

What was that little strop from Ponting about when he was run out?

I think Ponting was just angry at being run out by a bad call from Damien Martyn. Expect Australia to regain its' mercenary mindset when McGrath returns for the fifth Test. Simon Jones' injury is a concern for England.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen Turner

Hi John, Andy Mark well its D-day tomorrow, how do you see it going, I am predicting a draw, I also think at least one day will be rained off..

Hi John, Andy Mark well its D-day tomorrow, how do you see it going, I am predicting a draw, I also think at least one day will be rained off..

A draw. We will not get five full days and I expect the groundsman to produce a batsman's pitch. I hope they pick Collingwood instead of Anderson. We need his batting rather than his bowling. He is a steady bowler and will keep things tight and therefore allow the others to do the damage. Anderson is too erratic and he has a poor batting record.

A draw. We will not get five full days and I expect the groundsman to produce a batsman's pitch. I hope they pick Collingwood instead of Anderson. We need his batting rather than his bowling. He is a steady bowler and will keep things tight and therefore allow the others to do the damage. Anderson is too erratic and he has a poor batting record.