The Education Forum

Warning to Jimmy Carter.

Guest Stephen Turner

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2005 at 3:07 PM, Ron Ecker said:

The Newsweek article about the alleged plot in 1979 by Raymond Lee Harvey, Oswaldo Espinoza Ortiz, and two others to assassinate Carter in Los Angeles includes this:

“Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald Etra was expected to make a decision on the case this week. ‘Unless it’s clear that the defendant (Harvey) has committed the crime with which he is charged (conspiring to kill the president), we’re not going to present the case to a grand jury,’ he said.”

I did a Google search on Donald Etra (Assistant U.S. Attorney, Central District of California, 1978-1981), and found that he is a close friend of George W. Bush, going back to their days together at Yale.

Ronald Kessler’s book A Matter of Character: Inside the George W. Bush White House relates that Bush and Etra (a liberal Democrat and orthodox Jew) were among 15 inductees into Skull & Bones during their junior year at Yale, and that they became close friends. Etra went to Bush’s wedding in Midland, Bush went to Etra’s wedding in Los Angeles, and Etra and his family have been overnight dinner guests at the White House.

It’s interesting that the alleged plot against the life of Jimmy Carter happened to take place in a jurisdiction in which a close friend of the Bush family would decide whether or not the case was worth pursuing. Apparently it wasn’t.

Then I'll bump this within it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Etra, the close Bush friend who dismissed charges against Lee Harvey and Osvaldo, died in January of 2017.

http://jewishjournal.com/culture/lifestyle/obituaries/214080/donald-etra-criminal-lawyer-dies-69/

11 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Donald Etra, the close Bush friend who dismissed charges against Lee Harvey and Osvaldo, died in January of 2017.

http://jewishjournal.com/culture/lifestyle/obituaries/214080/donald-etra-criminal-lawyer-dies-69/

Damn, I would had loved to send him an email to ask for more, just like you did when still alive, Ron

On 7/20/2018 at 10:53 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I'll bump this

After all these years and after all the words read on the JFK case, this is the first time I encountered this information about the attempt and the use of those names. I'm still trying to absorb the recording of LBJ and cronies put up by Joe Bauer and my head is still spinning. Happened when I first read Harvey and Lee, so I have to deal , with this later, but thanks for the info, all.