The Education Forum

Worthing F.C.

John Simkin

Worthing F.C. has just launched its new website:

http://www.website.worthingfc.com/

And what interest could that be to one who elsewhere admits to being an 'irons' man? :)

[i speak as a 38-year-long sufferer of Spurs' exploits....]

I believe you should always support your local team. When I was a boy living in Dagenham, West Ham was my team and I was a regular at Upton Park until I moved to Sussex. I live in Worthing and so I support my local club.

For my sins, I have been asked to help with the Worthing F.C. website. This includes writing match reports and profiles of the players.

I still manage to watch West Ham every week via Sky. Bar the first 20 minutes I thought they played very well last week and deserved their victory against Blackburn. Hopefully they can maintain this form against Newcastle today.

My father was born in North London and between the ages of 8 and 11 he always took me to see the Spurs home games. Despite this, I never felt they were “my” team. After he was killed I started going to see West Ham. At the time they were struggling in the old second division (the stars at the time were Malcolm Allison, Ken Brown, John Bond and Dave Dick. However, the following season they were promoted as champions and I was lucky enough to see the emergence of players like Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Ronnie Boyce, John Sissons, etc. My greatest football memory was being at Wembley to see them beat TSV Munich in the European Cup Winners’ Cup Final. Ten of the eleven players were born in London. The eleventh, Jim Standen, was also born in England.

We would be as good today if we could retain our young players (it really hurt when Defoe, Carrick and Kanute went to Spurs and Lampard, Cole and Johnson went to Chelsea).

For most of last season it looked like Worthing would make the play-offs in the Ryman League. However, an end of the season slump destroyed this idea.

So far this season we have had a 2-1 win and a 2-1 loss. Today we are playing Braintree Town, one of the best teams in the league. This will be a real test.

We have made a couple of new signings. Richard Pacquette looks a real star. As a teenager he scored 7 goals in 18 games for QPR. He is still only 22 and is hoping to resurrect his career at Worthing. Another new signing, Mark Watson, served his apprenticeship at West Ham but failed to make the first team.