The Education Forum

Arsenal

John Simkin

Arsenal are 3-1 to win the league title this year. The main concern concerns who will replace Patrick Vieira, who has been sold to Juventus. Some believe that Fabregas is now ready for this challenge. I personally have my doubts about this. Although technically a better player, he lacks those traits that enabled Vieira to dominate games in the past. Aleksandr Hleb looks a good signing but he is unlikely to be as influential as Vieira.

I also believe Arsenal will miss Edu, a much underrated player. Whereas Manchester United have solved their goalkeeping problems by signing Edwin van der Saar, Arsenal still lack a top class goalkeeper. Nor am I fully convinced by Senderos at centre half.

I predict a disappointing season for Arsenal with slipping to 4th place behind Tottenham.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

First of all can I say that the prediction that Arsenal will finish 4th behind Tottenham is the most outrageously provocative statement that John Simkin has made in the entire time that I have known him, and that is saying something!!

It was absolutely the right time to sell Vieira. He was sold on Wenger's terms, rather than the payer dictating to the club, we made a profit of £10 million on him, and although he was the best midfielder ever to play for the club, you really felt that his heart wasn't in it for the last 2 years. Add the growing injury list to that and the fact that our entire tactical approach went via Vieira which needed to be addressed, it was the right move. Fabregas is the best young player in the Premiership and with Gilberto next to him (who we missed alot more than Vieira last year) he will have no problems. And he scores more goals. Hleb is going to be a fantastic signing, he has great pace, is a tricksy, jinking winger (at the moment - I bet he will end up in the centre eventually) and has a great workrate. Senderos will be the new Tony Adams, who of course was the new Bobby Moore. Apart from a few dodgy games against lucky Chelski, he has been solid. And when we talk about Lehmann, let's not forget that he played every game of the unbeaten 49 game run, and since his return to form has probably been the best goalkeeper in the premiership.

So all of you out there who think that we can't win anything because we don't have pots of money like Chavski and Manure, let's just wait and see. Don't forget that the last time we didn't sign anyone during the off season we went on to win the Double.

Come on you Gunners!

First of all can I say that the prediction that Arsenal will finish 4th behind Tottenham is the most outrageously provocative statement that John Simkin has made in the entire time that I have known him, and that is saying something!!

As always it was said because I believed it. It is of course easy to predict that the teams will finish up in the order that they did last year. However, I do think we will see a decline in the fortunes of Arsenal and an improvement in the fortunes of the Spurs. I say this as someone who does not support either club and therefore my opinions are not based on tribal loyalties or a historical hatred of neighbouring clubs.

It was absolutely the right time to sell Vieira. He was sold on Wenger's terms, rather than the payer dictating to the club, we made a profit of £10 million on him, and although he was the best midfielder ever to play for the club, you really felt that his heart wasn't in it for the last 2 years. Add the growing injury list to that and the fact that our entire tactical approach went via Vieira which needed to be addressed, it was the right move. Fabregas is the best young player in the Premiership and with Gilberto next to him (who we missed alot more than Vieira last year) he will have no problems. And he scores more goals. Hleb is going to be a fantastic signing, he has great pace, is a tricksy, jinking winger (at the moment - I bet he will end up in the centre eventually) and has a great workrate. Senderos will be the new Tony Adams, who of course was the new Bobby Moore. Apart from a few dodgy games against lucky Chelski, he has been solid. And when we talk about Lehmann, let's not forget that he played every game of the unbeaten 49 game run, and since his return to form has probably been the best goalkeeper in the premiership.

I agree about Vieira. The idea that Fabregas is the best young player in the Premiership is a joke. I would have thought this title belongs to Wayne Rooney. Fabregas might one day become a great player but at the moment he is only a player with potential. Hleb looks a good prospect but will he last the pace of the Premiership? Nor do I agree with you about Senderos. He seems to struggle against good strikers. As for Lehmann, he is clearly not up to Premiership standard. This reveals the deep flaw in Wenger’s thinking. Ferguson got the message and did buy a high-quality keeper. Wenger failed to do this and Arsenal will pay the price.

I am interested in why you see Arsenal declining John. I see quite the opposite (but I am a natural optimist - you can't be a true leftie otherwise!). The blooming youth policy, I predict, will have the same impact that the infamous manure youth policy of the mid 90s. There are some fantastic youngsters coming through at the moment, including Arturo Lupoli our next Thierry Henry and Quincy Owusu Abeye. And of course there are already experienced youngsters like Gael Clichy who will shortly replace Cashley Cole. And I think that you have fallen for a tabloid stance on Jens Lehmann. Apart from a hiccup during the middle of last season when he was rightly dropped, he has since returned to great form. He is certainly in the top three premiership goalkeepers.

I look forward to the North - East London derby!

Guest Stephen Turner
I am interested in why you see Arsenal declining John. I see quite the opposite (but I am a natural optimist - you can't be a true leftie otherwise!). The blooming youth policy, I predict, will have the same impact that the infamous manure youth policy of the mid 90s. There are some fantastic youngsters coming through at the moment, including Arturo Lupoli our next Thierry Henry and Quincy Owusu Abeye. And of course there are already experienced youngsters like Gael Clichy who will shortly replace Cashley Cole. And I think that you have fallen for a tabloid stance on Jens Lehmann. Apart from a hiccup during the middle of last season when he was rightly dropped, he has since returned to great form. He is certainly in the top three premiership goalkeepers.

Dan, as a fellow "Leftie" I have to ask, what was INFAMOUS, about Uniteds youth policy. I am used to the fact that we are everybodys whipping boy, but really, come on. credit where credit is due... Steve.

I hope Arsenal do well this year but cannot help the sneaking feeling that the players as a squad do not have the quality to match Chelsea.

I Wenger is able to buy:

1) a new 'keeper - Lehmann is good, but we need someone who is commanding

2) another striker to help Henry score the goals - and who would offer a threat in the air

3) A right back who can actually keep up with players - as much as I love Lauren, I wince everytime I see him skinned on the outside...

With another (heading) striker, maybe we could actually put some more crosses in and mix up our fantastic passing game. That would make it even harder for teams to play against us as everyone knows that Henry is not the best header of the ball...

Edited by Nick Dennis

After recent results, maybe I should have suggested that both West Ham and Tottenham will finish above Arsenal in the league.

It seems that I underestimated West Ham. At the beginning of the season Alan Pardew promised that his young and inexperienced team would play fast attacking football. In recent years promoted teams tended to play very defensively in their first season in the premiership. In fact, most teams outside the top three (Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United) play that way. For example, Liverpool have played four games this season and have yet to concede a goal. However, they have only managed to score one themselves.

On Saturday West Ham played at Fulham with four forwards. They had 54% of the possession (not bad for an away side). Fulham had not conceded a goal at home so far this season. Yet West Ham scored two on Saturday. Aston Villa had a good defensive record until they played West Ham last Monday when they let in four goals. It is not too difficult to keep a clean sheet when you playing against a defensive team. However, it is a different matter when you play a team that is willing to attack you.

I am aware that West Ham have only beaten three average sides so far: Blackburn, Aston Villa and Fulham. The same could be said of Newcastle where a ten man West Ham got a draw. They even outplayed Bolton but failed to convert their chances.

The big test comes on Saturday when they play Arsenal. Let us hope that Pardew does not lose his nerve and continues with his attacking policy. After all, it is possible that Arsenal is like Blackburn, Aston Villa and Fulham and only an average team this year. :)

well John, I hate making predictions, I often find they come back to bite you! suffice to say that our record against Everton is extremely good, our home record over the last few years has been fantastic and I would be mortified if we lost. I was at Highbury on Wed for the Champions League game against FC Thun. It was not a pretty affair and the view from the lower east stand is appalling. Bring on the new stadium (which is looking magnificent already).

And good on you Hammers, i have always had a soft spot for them as my Grandfather (who first took me to Arsenal at the age of 7) was a West ham fan who grew up in the East End.