The Education Forum

The Rifle

Sandy Larsen said:

"To me it looks like the sling is pulled through the bottom sling mount (a hoop), and then (presumably) attached to the side mount. There ARE Carcano mounts that include both the bottom and side hoops."

Precisely, Sandy. I was waiting to see if anyone pointed this out. When they were putting military surplus Carcanos together for sale on the open market, it was often necessary to salvage parts, such as sling mounts, off unusable rifles in order to make whole rifles out of the usable ones.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy,

Comparing the photo of the Carcano alone (in your post above) with the Carcano held by Rosco/Oswald (in the posts above), certainly it is true that the one held by Rosco/Oswald is rotated in a way that it shows more of the barrel.

However, rotating the rifle that direction (clockwise if looking at the end of the rifle's butt) will show the sling's side-mount less, not more. Right? If so, then I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

(The side-mounts of a Carcano are on the side opposite the bolt.handle.)

Sandy,

A good indication that the front metal sling thingy is mounted on the left side of the rifle, rather than on the bottom, is the fact that none of the sling / belt is visible near the front. IMHO, if the sling thingy were truly mounted on the bottom as you claim, then we should see the sling / belt connecting to it there.

As I pointed out earlier, the color of the sling (rope?) is whitish. It could be that we can't see it against the same color (gray tone) of the fence behind it.

In this different BYP, it looks like the belt / sling is attached, both front and back, to the left side of the rifle.

To me it looks like the sling is pulled through the bottom sling mount (a hoop), and then (presumably) attached to the side mount. There ARE Carcano mounts that include both the bottom and side hoops.

If you look closely, you can even see the roundish spectral highlights [q.v.] on the bottom of the side-mounted thingy. (Click on the white "X" at the top right corner of the photo to make it larger and easier to see. The circular thingy is right at the black horizontal line in the fence.)

http://nypost.com/2013/11/19/oswald-rifle-yard-virtually-the-same-since-1963/

-- Tommy :sun

Dear Sandy,

Here's the part you didn't address: (I've edited it to make it easier for you to understand.)

If you look closely, you can see the round spectral highlights (or round hinge pivot) on the bottom of the side-mounted thingy. (Click on the white "X" at the top right corner of the photo to make it large enough to see what I'm talking about. The circular thing I'm talking about is exactly at the black horizontal line in the fence.)

http://nypost.com/20...ame-since-1963/

Edited by Thomas Graves

Tommy,

Comparing the photo of the Carcano alone (in your post above) with the Carcano held by Rosco/Oswald (in the posts above), certainly it is true that the one held by Rosco/Oswald is rotated in a way that it shows more of the barrel.

However, rotating the rifle that direction (clockwise if looking at the end of the rifle's butt) will show the sling's side-mount less, not more. Right? If so, then I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Sandy,

A good indication that the front metal sling thingy is mounted on the left side of the rifle, rather than on the bottom, is the fact that none of the sling / belt is visible near the front. IMHO, if the sling thingy were truly mounted on the bottom as you claim, then we should see the sling / belt connecting to it there.

As I pointed out earlier, the color of the sling (rope?) is whitish. It could be that we can't see it against the same color (gray tone) of the fence behind it.

In this different BYP, it looks like the belt / sling is attached, both front and back, to the left side of the rifle.

To me it looks like the sling is pulled through the bottom sling mount (a hoop), and then (presumably) attached to the side mount. There ARE Carcano mounts that include both the bottom and side hoops.

If you look closely, you can even see the roundish spectral highlights [q.v.] on the bottom of the side-mounted thingy. (Click on the white "X" at the top right corner of the photo to make it larger and easier to see. The circular thingy is right at the black horizontal line in the fence.)

Dear Sandy,

Here's the part you didn't address: (I've edited it to make it easier for you to understand.)

If you look closely, you can see the round spectral highlights (or round hinge pivot) on the bottom of the side-mounted thingy. (Click on the white "X" at the top right corner of the photo to make it large enough to see what I'm talking about. The circular thing I'm talking about is exactly at the black horizontal line in the fence.)

Well I do see a tiny circle thing up in the shadow of the.... what is that.... the top of the neighbor's fence. And I know what you mean, that it could be the edge of the end of the side mount. The side mount being an oval hoop.

But when I look at a larger version of the photo, I don't see the tiny circle thing. The tiny circle seems to be a defect in the picture.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Tommy,

Sandy,

Dear Sandy,

Well I do see a tiny circle thing up in the shadow of the.... what is that.... the top of the neighbor's fence. And I know what you mean, that it could be the edge of the end of the side mount. The side mount being an oval hoop.

But when I look at a larger version of the photo, I don't see the tiny circle thing. The tiny circle seems to be a defect in the picture.

No, Sandy.

Better get your eyes checked. (lol)

Of course if you don't want to see it, you're not going to see it. Are you.

Did you actually "click" on the white " + " in the upper right hand corner to make the photo larger?

If it's a "photographic defect," it's the most perfectly round (white circle inside a round, dark ring) photographic defect I'VE ever seen. And so nicely-positioned, too, right on the edge of the rifle, immediately above the light-colored "sling," and on THIS SIDE of the "neighbor's fence."

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas

I've looked as hard as I can at that photo, and I cannot see anything resembling a side mounted sling mount. Not only that, I find it very odd that Oswald's "sling" (looks more like a piece of rope) would not hang straight down from the side of the rifle, if that is where it is attached. Instead, it appears to be hanging down from where a bottom mounted sling mount would be attached.

Thomas

I've looked as hard as I can at that photo, and I cannot see anything resembling a side mounted sling mount. Not only that, I find it very odd that Oswald's "sling" (looks more like a piece of rope) would not hang straight down from the side of the rifle, if that is where it is attached. Instead, it appears to be hanging down from where a bottom mounted sling mount would be attached.

For Sandy "Eagle Eye" Larsen and Robert "Hawkeye" Prudhomme:

BYP_thingy_zps5zy6bkau.jpg

2fa38b58-a313-45f7-8eb5-89e5c6844459_zps

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas

For Sandy "Eagle Eye" Larsen and Robert "Hawk Eye" Prudhomme:

You can see the whole photograph here: http://nypost.com/20...ame-since-1963/

"To me it looks like the sling is pulled through the bottom sling mount (a hoop), and then (presumably) attached to the side mount. There ARE Carcano mounts that include both the bottom and side hoops." -- Sandy Larsen

Do you mean like this "dual-position rear barrel band," Sandy? Did they make them for the 91/38 Shot Rifle? (IDK)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Carcano-dual-position-Rear-Barrel-Band-carbine-91-24-etc-no-screw-/331952097686?hash=item4d49e30996:g:9SIAAOSwzJ5XXxbw

[edit] Sandy,

FWIW, I'm starting to agree with you that the "rear barrel band" on the rifle in the BY photos had both a bottom (pivoting) loop and a side (stationary) slot for the sling to go through, and that "LHO's" sling went through both of them.

So unless someone changed that "rear barrel band" to the more conventional side-only loop type after the BY photos were taken, this proves that .... well, something was rotten in the state of Texas.

2674266.jpg

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas

"To me it looks like the sling is pulled through the bottom sling mount (a hoop), and then (presumably) attached to the side mount. There ARE Carcano mounts that include both the bottom and side hoops." -- Sandy Larsen

Do you mean like this "dual-position rear barrel band," Sandy? Did they make them for the 91/38 Shot Rifle? (IDK)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Carcano-dual-position-Rear-Barrel-Band-carbine-91-24-etc-no-screw-/331952097686?hash=item4d49e30996:g:9SIAAOSwzJ5XXxbw

[edit] Sandy,

FWIW, I'm starting to agree with you that the "rear barrel band" on the rifle in the BY photos had both a bottom (pivoting) loop and a side (stationary) slot for the sling to go through, and that "LHO's" sling went through both of them.

So unless someone changed that "rear barrel band" to the more conventional side-only loop type after the BY photos were taken, this proves that .... well, something was rotten in the state of Texas.

2674266.jpg

God I wish I had photoshop at work so I could illustrate this, but in order to rotate the rifle above enough to view that side mount for the sling on the bottom as in the BYPs, The top sight would be rotated to an extent that it would either not be visible or be a tiny bump in the BYPs. You've got a bottom mount in the BYP and a side mount above.

God I wish I had photoshop at work so I could illustrate this, but in order to rotate the rifle below enough to view that side mount for the sling on the bottom as in the BYPs, The top sight would be rotated to an extent that it would either not be visible or be a tiny bump in the BYPs. You've got a bottom mount in the BYP and a side mount below.

2674266.jpg

Edited by Michael Cross

Thomas

[Two photos with my red circles deleted; see one of them below. -- T. Graves]

[edit] Sandy,

God I wish I had photoshop at work so I could illustrate this, but in order to rotate the rifle above enough to view that side mount for the sling on the bottom as in the BYPs, The top sight would be rotated to an extent that it would either not be visible or be a tiny bump in the BYPs. You've got a bottom mount in the BYP and a side mount above.

[Photo of detective carrying rifle outside the TSBD deleted by T. Graves; You can see it in the two previous posts]

Dear Michael,

I'm saying the rifle in the BYP's has a "rear barrel band" [q.v.] like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Carcano-dual-position-Rear-Barrel-Band-carbine-91-24-etc-no-screw-/331952097686?hash=item4d49e30996:g:9SIAAOSwzJ5XXxbw (with the narrow part of the band at the top of the rifle, obviously), but the rifle the detective is carrying doesn't have this kind of "dual position" barrel band. It has the kind that has just one thing to attach the sling to -- the pivoting metal loop on the left side of the rifle. For confirmation of this, you can look at the internet photos of the left side and bottom of the rifle that was "found" in the TSBD. Why do I emphasize looking at the bottom of the barrel of the "TSBD rifle"? Because you'll see there ain't no "sling mount" there, pivoting or stationary. It's only on the left side of the rifle and it's the pivoting type.

This detail from one of the BYP's shows what I'm talking about. Although the pivoting metal loop can't be made out on the bottom of the rifle (bottom = the surface facing the camera) in the un-cropped photo http://nypost.com/2013/11/19/oswald-rifle-yard-virtually-the-same-since-1963/ , it's obvious that it's there because the light-colored "sling" goes through it first and then goes over to the protruding and stationary metal "slot," the very end of which is barely visible as a small dark circle inside my big red circle. If not for the fact that the "sling" is going through that pivoting metal loop on the bottom of the rifle, said "sling" would appear to be defying gravity by "hanging" so weirdly like that from the side slot.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas

For Sandy "Eagle Eye" Larsen and Robert "Hawkeye" Prudhomme:

Yes, that is the circle I saw, Tommy.

When I saw it, the first thing that came to mind is a phenomenon I've seen a few times in the past, where a tiny thing falls onto a wet surface and it repels the liquid on the surface radial-symmetrically, resulting in a perfect circle.

For example, suppose you had a thin film of oil-based dye on a solid sheet of white something. A tiny drop of water falls on it. Since water is heavier than oil, and since they don't mix, the water droplet displaces the dye and a white circle is formed.

I've seen tiny white circles in pictures before, like the one you pointed out, and I've always assumed they were caused by the phenomenon I just described

Do you believe that the circle is attached to the rifle? And that the hole we see in the circle is a real hole?.

P.S. As I said before, I looked for the circle in another copy of the picture that I found and the circle was not there. (Though I'll concede right away that somebody may have "softened" the photo and that this resulted in the circle disappearing.)

EDIT: I just looked at a number of copies of this BYP and the tiny circle is on every one of them. So the photo I found the other day was an unusual one. I do wonder if the circle is somehow a part of the mount.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Thomas

[edit] Sandy,

2674266.jpg

Yay, we agree on something! Or at least starting to.

When I was looking around for sling-mount bands, I found some that look like the one you linked to. I also found some that were stationary on both the side and bottom.

Thomas

[edit] Sandy,

2674266.jpg

When I was looking around for sling-mount bands, I found some that look like the one you linked to. I also found some that were stationary on both the side and bottom.

Sandy,

I can only assume that, due to my time-consuming and masterful cropping and blowing-up of that part of the photo, and putting those red circles there in both of those works of art, you were finally able to see what I was talking about (and which, btw) you were calling a "just a photo defect" ?

Yes? Yes? Yes?

Here, I'll answer for you. "Yes, Tommy. Thank you very much. And keep up the good work! " -- Sandy

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas

[edit] Sandy,

2674266.jpg

Sandy,

I can only assume that, due to my time-consuming and masterful cropping and blowing-up of that part of the photo, and putting those red circles there in both of those works of art, you were finally able to see what I was talking about (and which, btw) you were calling a "just a photo defect" ?

Yes? Yes? Yes?

Here, I'll answer for you. "Yes, Tommy. Thank you very much. And keep up the good work! " -- Sandy

Just one niggling little doubt remaining: Do we know for sure that that kind of "dual position" rear barrel band http://www.ebay.com/...SIAAOSwzJ5XXxbw was made for the Carcano 91/38 Short Rifle? (I suppose it was. Maybe "one size fit all of 'em, even.)

Oh, and just one other itsy-bitsy thing: I'm kinda bothered by the roundness of the thingy I pointed out in my red circles, because when I look at that rear barrel band on eBay (above), I see that the ends of that slot are more squarish. Hmmm... maybe it is just a gosh-darn photographic defect, after all.

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 9/15/2016 at 10:57 AM, Thomas Graves said:
On 9/15/2016 at 7:09 AM, Sandy Larsen said:
On 9/13/2016 at 10:29 PM, Thomas Graves said:

2674266.jpg

Sandy,

Yes? Yes? Yes?

Tommy,

As I recall, I saw the circle you pointed out right away. After which you masterfully zoomed in and circled the circle so that I couldn't miss it... something for which I will be eternally grateful. (Though not as grateful as I was when you found for me that video segment showing Bill Shelly changing direction and crossing over to the concrete island, as he had claimed in his first-day statement.)

At first I thought it was a photographic defect, as I had seen many like that before. But then in one of my later posts I acknowledged that it might be some real, actual part of the mount. (Though I never thought it to be relevant.)

Having said all that... I'm glad you asked, Tommy! Because as coincidence would have it, I just recently noticed that very kind of defect in one of the autopsy x-rays! See it there, on the (our) left side?

X_AUT_9.JPG

Here's a closeup:

post-7237-0-37904700-1474259314_thumb.jpg

Unless that's a donut shaped lead fragment we see, it must be a defect in the film. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Edited by Sandy Larsen