The Education Forum

William Pitzer

One of the most interesting stories about the Kennedy assassination includes William Pitzer. He joined the US Navy and by 1963 had reached the rank of Lieutenant Commander and held a senior position at Bethesda Naval Hospital, Maryland.

On 22nd November, 1963, an autopsy was carried out by Dr Joseph Humes on the body of John F. Kennedy. A few days after the assassination, a colleague, Dennis D. David, found Pitzer working on a 16-mm film, slides and black and white photos of the Kennedy autopsy. David noted that those materials showed what appeared to be an entry wound in the right frontal area with a corresponding exit wound in the lower rear of the skull.

Jerrol F. Custer, an X-ray technician at the hospital, later stated that Pitzer had photographed the proceedings, including the military men who attended the Kennedy autopsy. It was also rumoured that Pitzer had copies of Kennedy's autopsy photographs.

According to Dr. Joseph Humes, Pitzer was not present at the autopsy. However, he admitted that the Bethesda Naval Hospital was equipped with closed-circuit television. This was the responsibility of Pitzer and over the years had used these facilities to make instructional movies. It is therefore possible that Pitzer had secretly made a 16-mm movie film of the autopsy on President Kennedy’s body, without being present in the autopsy room when it was carried out.

After 28 years in the US Navy Pitzer decided to retire. He told friends he had been offered a good job working for a network television station. It is believed that he intended to make a programme about the Kennedy assassination.

On 29th October 1966, Lieutenant Commander William B. Pitzer was found dead at the Naval Medical School, Bethesda. Investigations by the Naval Investigative Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation later concluded that a gunshot wound to the head had been self-inflicted.

During the weekend on which Pitzer died, the Kennedy family transferred formal possession of the materials relating to the late president’s autopsy to the National Archives. An investigation carried out by Dr. Cyril H. Wecht in 1993 revealed that some items were missing. This included Kennedy's brain that had been stored in a stainless-steel container.

FBI files on the investigation, released in 1997 under the Freedom of Information Act, revealed that there was a strong possibility that Pitzer had been murdered. The paraffin tests of Pitzer’s right palm and back of hand were negative, indicating the absence of nitrate, therefore no exposure to gunpowder. FBI tests indicated "that the revolver must have been held at a distance of more than 3 ft when discharged".

Although there were links between Pitzer and the revolver found near the body, the FBI could find no record of Pitzer acquiring live ammunition. The autopsy showed both an entry and exit wound to the head. It also revealed a third wound that was not related to the gunshot to the head.

Pitzer had been busy writing notes to people in the time just before he was killed. However, he did not leave a suicide note. One of these notes was found on the floor near Pitzer's body. It bore a partial heel print that was not from the shoes Pitzer was wearing.

In May 1995, ex-Special Forces Colonel Daniel Marvin claimed to have been solicited by an agent of the Central Intelligence Agency to "terminate" William Pitzer.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKpitzerW.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmartinD.htm

• 2 years later...
One of the most interesting stories about the Kennedy assassination includes William Pitzer. He joined the US Navy and by 1963 had reached the rank of Lieutenant Commander and held a senior position at Bethesda Naval Hospital, Maryland.

On 22nd November, 1963, an autopsy was carried out by Dr Joseph Humes on the body of John F. Kennedy. A few days after the assassination, a colleague, Dennis D. David, found Pitzer working on a 16-mm film, slides and black and white photos of the Kennedy autopsy. David noted that those materials showed what appeared to be an entry wound in the right frontal area with a corresponding exit wound in the lower rear of the skull.

Jerrol F. Custer, an X-ray technician at the hospital, later stated that Pitzer had photographed the proceedings, including the military men who attended the Kennedy autopsy. It was also rumoured that Pitzer had copies of Kennedy's autopsy photographs.

According to Dr. Joseph Humes, Pitzer was not present at the autopsy. However, he admitted that the Bethesda Naval Hospital was equipped with closed-circuit television. This was the responsibility of Pitzer and over the years had used these facilities to make instructional movies. It is therefore possible that Pitzer had secretly made a 16-mm movie film of the autopsy on President Kennedy’s body, without being present in the autopsy room when it was carried out.

After 28 years in the US Navy Pitzer decided to retire. He told friends he had been offered a good job working for a network television station. It is believed that he intended to make a programme about the Kennedy assassination.

On 29th October 1966, Lieutenant Commander William B. Pitzer was found dead at the Naval Medical School, Bethesda. Investigations by the Naval Investigative Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation later concluded that a gunshot wound to the head had been self-inflicted.

During the weekend on which Pitzer died, the Kennedy family transferred formal possession of the materials relating to the late president’s autopsy to the National Archives. An investigation carried out by Dr. Cyril H. Wecht in 1993 revealed that some items were missing. This included Kennedy's brain that had been stored in a stainless-steel container.

[qoute]FBI files on the investigation, released in 1997 under the Freedom of Information Act, revealed that there was a strong possibility that Pitzer had been murdered. The paraffin tests of Pitzer’s right palm and back of hand were negative, indicating the absence of nitrate, therefore no exposure to gunpowder. FBI tests indicated "that the revolver must have been held at a distance of more than 3 ft when discharged". [/qoute]

Although there were links between Pitzer and the revolver found near the body, the FBI could find no record of Pitzer acquiring live ammunition. The autopsy showed both an entry and exit wound to the head. It also revealed a third wound that was not related to the gunshot to the head.

Pitzer had been busy writing notes to people in the time just before he was killed. However, he did not leave a suicide note. One of these notes was found on the floor near Pitzer's body. It bore a partial heel print that was not from the shoes Pitzer was wearing.

In May 1995, ex-Special Forces Colonel Daniel Marvin claimed to have been solicited by an agent of the Central Intelligence Agency to "terminate" William Pitzer.

How could we believe that Pitzer killed himself with this negative paraffin test and the further conclusion of the pistol being three feet away? There are so many suspicious deaths surrounding this case.

The Grave of William Bruce Pitzer

This subject of Pitzer filming the autopsy has confounded me appreciably since I first heard of it. Tho I have never placed much confidence in the declarations of Lt. Col. Marvin, I do hold Jerrol Custer in pretty high esteem.

There are several questions that I cannot reasonably resolve in my thinking. If Pitzer truly filmed the autopsy, it is apparent that it was done covertly since there is no reference to such a filming in the following investigations. However, the term "covertly" does not necessarily mean that it was a disguised occurrence which was conducted by Cmdr. Pitzer with no knowlege of the Bethesda staff. It may have been covertly ordered by Bethesda....OR, as I have never heard it mentioned before.....Pitzer may have been covertly involved with the ONI or some other intelligence agency.

The reason that I have considered the affiliation of Pitzer with intelligence agencies is, in my mind at least, not unfounded. If Pitzer had secretly conducted this filming, it would have been such a major breach of his position and authority, that I doubt seriously that he would have kept this film and worked on it at the Bethesda facility. Much less also, is the possibility that he would have been willing to share this "treasure trove" with an enlisted Navy man....particularly while on the Naval Base. We must remember that Pitzer's death occurred well after books and research had suggested that JFK's death was the result of a conspiracy. This info would have been classified higher than "Top Secret" ! It would most likely not have been left in Pitzer's posession, nor would it even have been stored at a government facility. The intelligence agencies had withn their ranks, "experts" more highly qualified than Pitzer.

In the same light, Pitzer, if having of his own initiative, secretly filmed this autopsy, he "most certainly" would not have kept this film on base and shared the information with other Navy personnel. This is information which was strategic enough to have brought this government down at the height of the cold war.

I therefore must conclude that Jerrol Custer was in error regarding "what he actually was shown". I feel, however, that it is possible, that Cmdr. Pitzer may have had in his posession, by unauthorized means, copies of autopsy "photographs" that were intended to be either hidden or disposed.

This is strictly conjecture, but I feel that his posession of such materials were significantly related to his death. Perhaps on the day of his death, he may have turned over, or "SOLD" these photos to a government agent. It is possible that if the government agents believed that they had acquired ALL that Pitzer posessed....he was then terminated.

As I previously stated, this is strictly "my speculation" and is backed by no evidence that I have seen.

Charlie Black

FBI files on the investigation, released in 1997 under the Freedom of Information Act, revealed that there was a strong possibility that Pitzer had been murdered. The paraffin tests of Pitzer’s right palm and back of hand were negative, indicating the absence of nitrate, therefore no exposure to gunpowder. FBI tests indicated "that the revolver must have been held at a distance of more than 3 ft when discharged".

Allan Eaglesham's Dark Corners re Pitzer:

http://www.manuscriptservice.com/Pitzer/

Hello Richard

Having just again read Eaglesham's work, it doesn't IMHO, bring me any closer to closure on this matter.

With what I have studied and observed, I place very little confidence in the report of a government agency investigating itself. We can know nothing more regarding this than studying reports and photos that the government has "chosen" to make public. We are looking at their photos and their conclusions regarding the evidence. We can in no way reconstruct what may have been the "true" crime scene nor can we determine if reports have been falsified. If there was in fact "foul play", it is certainly natural to assume that the government tried to do what it is best at....covering its ass.

Perhaps I have become super paranoid regarding all areas of this JFK case. I take as "factual" almost nothing that the agencies of intelligence, the federal government and the U.S. Military, have put forth for public consumption.

This was a very unusual event, involving someone who is believed to have had access to some very incriminating evidence. His death could be as desirable to some factions as the deaths of Roselli, Giancanna, Ruby, de Morenschildt and a bagful of others that I feel were silenced by elements of the U.S. government.

I am unable to accept what has been federally fed us, regarding this and literally hundreds of other matters. There is too much smoke and far too many mirrors, for any reasonable person to consider even remotely possible or acceptable. Coincidences should be accepted as unusual....not the norm.

I personally feel, that if Cmdr. Pitzer had the photographic evidence which he is claimed to have had, that he was certainly murdered. Regardless if there were fifty "government" investigations that conclude the contrary !

Charlie Black

color=#003300]

Hello Richard

Having just again read Eaglesham's work, it doesn't IMHO, bring me any closer to closure on this matter.

With what I have studied and observed, I place very little confidence in the report of a government agency investigating itself. We can know nothing more regarding this than studying reports and photos that the government has "chosen" to make public. We are looking at their photos and their conclusions regarding the evidence. We can in no way reconstruct what may have been the "true" crime scene nor can we determine if reports have been falsified. If there was in fact "foul play", it is certainly natural to assume that the government tried to do what it is best at....covering its ass.

Perhaps I have become super paranoid regarding all areas of this JFK case. I take as "factual" almost nothing that the agencies of intelligence, the federal government and the U.S. Military, have put forth for public consumption.

This was a very unusual event, involving someone who is believed to have had access to some very incriminating evidence. His death could be as desirable to some factions as the deaths of Roselli, Giancanna, Ruby, de Morenschildt and a bagful of others that I feel were silenced by elements of the U.S. government.

I am unable to accept what has been federally fed us, regarding this and literally hundreds of other matters. There is too much smoke and far too many mirrors, for any reasonable person to consider even remotely possible or acceptable. Coincidences should be accepted as unusual....not the norm.

I personally feel, that if Cmdr. Pitzer had the photographic evidence which he is claimed to have had, that he was certainly murdered. Regardless if there were fifty "government" investigations that conclude the contrary !

Charlie Black

[/color]

While Eaglesham's research is very interesting I still do not believe that this was a suicide. And more than I ever believed DeMorenchildt offed himself. The timing is just too damn convenient for murder not to be the cause of these deaths.

Dawn

[qoute]FBI files on the investigation, released in 1997 under the Freedom of Information Act, revealed that there was a strong possibility that Pitzer had been murdered. The paraffin tests of Pitzer’s right palm and back of hand were negative, indicating the absence of nitrate, therefore no exposure to gunpowder. FBI tests indicated "that the revolver must have been held at a distance of more than 3 ft when discharged". [/qoute]

How could we believe that Pitzer killed himself with this negative paraffin test and the further conclusion of the pistol being three feet away? There are so many suspicious deaths surrounding this case.

Peter:

Things are not always as they seem on the surface.

You make a fundamental error if you extrapolate from any one suspicious death to another. Each must be judged on its own merits.

Allan

-------------------------

Quotes below are from http://www.manuscriptservice.com/Pitzer/homrecon.html

1. NEGATIVE PARAFFIN TEST

"In discussing this aspect previously [1], I made the assumption that a dermal nitrate test was referred to in the FBI report; in the early 1960s, "paraffin test" and "dermal nitrate test" were synonymous. With closer inspection of the hand-written laboratory notes (see Figure), I realized that I was in error.

The autopsy doctors prepared paraffin casts of the palm and back of LCDR Pitzer's right hand, presumably expecting them to be used for dermal-nitrate analysis, unaware that the FBI had since replaced this test for analysis of gunshot-residue metals barium (Ba) and antimony (Sb) by flame atomic absorption spectroscopy. For the latter test, acid-moistened cotton swabs are taken directly from the skin. It appears that the laboratory technician did what he could to collect samples from the surfaces of the paraffin casts, concentrating on dark particles 1-4 from the back of the hand and dark particles 5-8 from the palm, none of which tested positively for barium or antimony. The technician was strictly truthful in saying, "Examination of (the) paraffin cast reflected no substance characteristic of, or which could be associated with, gunpowder or gunshot residue," but clearly this was not the whole story. The assay was not performed properly and there was the clear possibility of false negative results. Most significantly, however, the cast from the back of the hand revealed the presence of "large amounts of blood, skin, and hair" (see Figure). Blowback of tissues had occurred from the entry wound onto the back of the hand, some of which had been immobilized in the paraffin cast. The right hand had, indeed, been close to the right temple at the moment of discharge"

2. Lack of Tattooing Around the Entry Wound in the Right Temple

"In March of 2004, I saw about a dozen of the autopsy photographs, as good-quality color prints. I confirmed that there was no wound in the left temple. I had with me Vincent J.M. Di Maio's book Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques (Elsevier, 1985); the wound in LCDR Pitzer's right temple was closely similar to a hard contact wound of the head from a .38 revolver."

Hello Richard

Charlie Black

Charles:

Is there any point in making FOIA requests for documentation and photographs if you reject their evidentiary value if they do not fit your preconceived notions? That old saying comes to mind: "Please don't confuse me with the fact, I have already made up my mind."

Two questions should be considered separately until there is evidence that they are linked:

1. Was William Pitzer murdered?

2. Did he at any time have in his possession a movie film of the Kennedy autopsy?

I don't see any evidence that he was murdered and only Dennis David has stated that Pitzer was in possession of a movie film of the Kennedy autopsy within a few days of the assassination. There is no evidence that Pitzer retained possession of any JFK-autopsy photographic materials.

Allan

Edited by Allan Eaglesham

Thats not the way most people read it.

It looks like he PITZER did have film capacity, camera experience

or actual copies of the JFK BETHESDA autopsy films.

Clearly he was murdered in his own office with the gun he signed out.

And people walked on the evidence before the authorities arrived.

Hello Richard

Charlie Black

Charles:

Is there any point in making FOIA requests for documentation and photographs if you reject their evidentiary value if they do not fit your preconceived notions? That old saying comes to mind: "Please don't confuse me with the fact, I have already made up my mind."

Two questins should be considered separately until there is evidence that they are linked:

1. Was William Pitzer murdered?

2. Did he at any time have in his possession a movie film of the Kennedy autopsy?

I don't see any evidence that he was murdered and only Dennis David has stated that Pitzer was in possession of a movie film of the Kennedy autopsy within a few days of the assassination. There is no evidence that Pitzer retained possession of any JFK-autopsy photographic materials.

Allan

anyone ever stop to consider that a great way to keep us from the truth is let ourselves be drawn off on tangets that lead nowhere. One person said Pitzer had a film of the autopsy-no one else saw him filming but we want to believe it so bad we allow ouselves to be side tracked.

the majority of suicides I investigated in Homicide did not leave a note-too many family members deny after the fact there were any signs SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DID NOT PICKUP ON THE CLUES AND NOW GUILT PREVENTS THEM FROM ADMITTING THEY WERE INATTENTIVE TO THE CRIES FOR HELP FROM A LOVED ONE.

just because some one claims to have been given an assignment to kill some one don't make it so-I had a partner in the Tac Unit who had been an assassin in Phoenix in Vietnam who told me that those who do it never talk about it-and he never did inspite of the fact that I saved his life on two occcassions.

was there a conspiracy in Dallas? you bet! was there a second, seperate conspiracy to cover up what looked like Cuban/Russian involvement? Yup, it was called the Warren Commission. Read the 26 volumes several times like I did while in grad school-its silly and unbelievable.

Thats not the way most people read it.

It looks like he PITZER did have film capacity, camera experience

or actual copies of the JFK BETHESDA autopsy films.

Clearly he was murdered in his own office with the gun he signed out.

And people walked on the evidence before the authorities arrived.

Yes, Pitzer did have "camera experience" and may have had a copy of a film of the JFK autopsy. But is that evidence that he was murdered?

"Clearly he was murdered..."?

Clearly? What's your evidence for homicide?

Peter:

Things are not always as they seem on the surface.

You make a fundamental error if you extrapolate from any one suspicious death to another. Each must be judged on its own merits.

Allan

-------------------------

Quotes below are from http://www.manuscriptservice.com/Pitzer/homrecon.html

1. NEGATIVE PARAFFIN TEST

"In discussing this aspect previously [1], I made the assumption that a dermal nitrate test was referred to in the FBI report; in the early 1960s, "paraffin test" and "dermal nitrate test" were synonymous. With closer inspection of the hand-written laboratory notes (see Figure), I realized that I was in error.

The autopsy doctors prepared paraffin casts of the palm and back of LCDR Pitzer's right hand, presumably expecting them to be used for dermal-nitrate analysis, unaware that the FBI had since replaced this test for analysis of gunshot-residue metals barium (Ba) and antimony (Sb) by flame atomic absorption spectroscopy. For the latter test, acid-moistened cotton swabs are taken directly from the skin. It appears that the laboratory technician did what he could to collect samples from the surfaces of the paraffin casts, concentrating on dark particles 1-4 from the back of the hand and dark particles 5-8 from the palm, none of which tested positively for barium or antimony. The technician was strictly truthful in saying, "Examination of (the) paraffin cast reflected no substance characteristic of, or which could be associated with, gunpowder or gunshot residue," but clearly this was not the whole story. The assay was not performed properly and there was the clear possibility of false negative results. Most significantly, however, the cast from the back of the hand revealed the presence of "large amounts of blood, skin, and hair" (see Figure). Blowback of tissues had occurred from the entry wound onto the back of the hand, some of which had been immobilized in the paraffin cast. The right hand had, indeed, been close to the right temple at the moment of discharge"

2. Lack of Tattooing Around the Entry Wound in the Right Temple

"In March of 2004, I saw about a dozen of the autopsy photographs, as good-quality color prints. I confirmed that there was no wound in the left temple. I had with me Vincent J.M. Di Maio's book Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques (Elsevier, 1985); the wound in LCDR Pitzer's right temple was closely similar to a hard contact wound of the head from a .38 revolver."

If one had held his "hands up", as people at gunpoint frequently do, the blood and other debris would have

deposited upon the hands in pretty much the same manner as if a gun had been held while being fired.

The 3 feet away specter is not easily explained away either.

Closely similar is not exactly the type of evidence I would want to have used to declare this was a suicide.

Hello Allan

No, I don't think that we should set aside all FOIA material as necessarily being erroneous. But I don't think that we should accept, at face value, that the information is true and untampered, just because it was once "classified" and was obtained from the National Archives.

I feel, as probably do you, along with many others, that much evidence in this case has been altered or "very selectively chosen". I therefore strongly believe that any results of what are "government investigations", should be very closely scrutinized. The Warren Report was based solely on government investigation and the very selective testimony of some very selective witnesses. Even so there has been much evidence that witness testimony was altered and did not express the correct statement of the witnesses.

IMHO this is certainly NOT a clear case of suicide.

It is based on a government investigation of a potentially disastrous ( to the government's position ) matter, that may, were the true facts known, have debunked the conclusions of the official report regarding the assassination of JFK!

I personally don't know whether or not Pitzer was murdered and very few persons do. I have merely pointed out that, im my personal opinion, there will be very little that will be allowed release by the Feds if it is "strongly" likely to shed any compelling light on any but the govrernment's 43 year old conclusions. The government had appx 30 years prior to the FOIA, to peruse, redact, or change "evidence". They now have had 43 years. I don't think that very much that can drastically change the Warren conclusions will be allowed to slip out.

In this case I believe, who I consider to be "the enemy", to be comprised of some very bright and ingenous people, who have had unlimited resources and more than sufficient time, to not "self destruct", by releasing important information that is not in their best interest. We receive "tid bits" as tokens to pacify us !

This is my personal opinion only and we all shall believe what we must !

Charlie Black

Hello Allan

No, I don't think that we should set aside all FOIA material as necessarily being erroneous. But I don't think that we should accept, at face value, that the information is true and untampered, just because it was once "classified" and was obtained from the National Archives.

I feel, as probably do you, along with many others, that much evidence in this case has been altered or "very selectively chosen". I therefore strongly believe that any results of what are "government investigations", should be very closely scrutinized. The Warren Report was based solely on government investigation and the very selective testimony of some very selective witnesses. Even so there has been much evidence that witness testimony was altered and did not express the correct statement of the witnesses.

IMHO this is certainly NOT a clear case of suicide.

It is based on a government investigation of a potentially disastrous ( to the government's position ) matter, that may, were the true facts known, have debunked the conclusions of the official report regarding the assassination of JFK!

I personally don't know whether or not Pitzer was murdered and very few persons do. I have merely pointed out that, im my personal opinion, there will be very little that will be allowed release by the Feds if it is "strongly" likely to shed any compelling light on any but the govrernment's 43 year old conclusions. The government had appx 30 years prior to the FOIA, to peruse, redact, or change "evidence". They now have had 43 years. I don't think that very much that can drastically change the Warren conclusions will be allowed to slip out.

In this case I believe, who I consider to be "the enemy", to be comprised of some very bright and ingenous people, who have had unlimited resources and more than sufficient time, to not "self destruct", by releasing important information that is not in their best interest. We receive "tid bits" as tokens to pacify us !

This is my personal opinion only and we all shall believe what we must !

Charlie Black

Hi Charlie:

Evidence that was released under FOIA appeared to be indicative of murder -- the third defect in the skull (described in the autopsy protocol) is the best example, which was apparently consistent with what looks like a bullet wound in the left temple in the death-scene photograph. By your philosophy, it would seem odd that those ingenious people didn't make the case for suicide more readily acceptable.

You said: "I feel, as probably do you, along with many others, that much evidence in this case has been altered or 'very selectively chosen'."

Please be specific. What evidence has been altered? What evidence has been selectively chosen?

Thank you.

Allan

Edited by Allan Eaglesham

Allan said......"it would seem odd that those ingenious people didn't make the case for suicide more readily acceptible"

It was apparently acceptable enough.....It hasn't been overturned in the past 40 years. Do you really feel that it will be?

Allan asked "What evidence has been altered? What evidence has been selectively chosen ?"

Allan who conducted this investigation? If this is a part of the assassination cover up, which it very well may be, you have asked a very answerable question. This "investigation" was controlled by those same agencies of government which did the investigation for the Warren Commission. Did you expect that the government would announce that Cmdr. Pitzer was murdered because he had access to information that would cause a major conflict with

the findings of the Warren Commission?

Allan, I do not understand your objection to what I feel is sound reasoning ! I don't feel that there was anything confusing or unreasonable regarding my ideas. Are you stating that you are such an "ingenious" intellect that your thoughts are to be treasured above all others ?

I strongly believe and will continue to support all that I have commented on regarding this subject.

Your responses to me are indicative that you look upon my ideas as if I were a misguided student that should "join the flock" ! Please do not wait too long for my "flock" application !

Charlie Black