The Education Forum

Jack Ruby and a Faked Assassination Plot

Tim Gratz

Concerning Ruby, didn't he change his story about being at the Morning News? And were there other sightings of Ruby in DP? He was seemingly everywhere that day.

On the question of Ruby's alibi, if its true, it wouldn't necessarily disprove Mercer's testimony as that concerned the earlier sighting of Ruby in the Ford pickup delivering the gun case.

Forgive the rambling....

There were multiple sightings of a man that would resemble Ruby that day. This leads me to speculate as to whether or not this was deliberate. I think most would agree that LHO was impersonated - 'doubled' by lookalikes that may or may not have been identical [the whole Lee & Harvey theory aside].

Marguerite Oswald was presented a photo of Saul, not Ruby - isn't that correct? Saul resembled Ruby. MacDonald, who allegedly interviewed Saul, had him on the top floor of the DalTex - not on the ground at the Plaza.

Along with Mercer, there are the descriptions provided by Bowers and Hoffman of the man behind the fence -middle aged and heavy set. That's the man I have been trying to figure out - the one I think may have been dressed as a Railroad Detective - dark suit, dark pants, black hat - that fired from the infamous GKS position behind the fence in the parking area. Not Ruby - but very possibly the man seen running by Jean Hill. Maybe even the man seen in the ghost images in the last frames of the z-film. Maybe this is the same man seen by Tom Tilson and his daughter [FWIW, I don't think that GKS was James Files, Charles Rogers, Jack Lawrence, Roscoe White, Emilio Santana, etc.].

In addition to this man, who may resemble Ruby in build, there is another man that may resemble him in stature, hairstyle, etc, who we see at the front of the TSBD in one of the Willis photos and one of the Murray photos. This man resembles Remigio G. 'CuCu' Arce - who may or may not be related to Danny Arce. And Ruby seems to have glasses in his pocket when he is gunning down Oswald at the DPD the next day [still like to know why Ruby's hat changes color between the various film frames vs the Warren Report exhibit]. Not relevant.

As for the connections between Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby - they seem to be fairly thin. And the invididuals making these connections [someone educate me if I am off here] don't seem to be highly credible. The National Enquirer is one. The reference to 4 DPD officers having seen articles collected from an apartment formerly occupied by a Cuban, and handed over to the FBI only to disappear. Among these articles, the Enquirer alleged, was an FPCC card with Jack Ruby as a member [number 54 if memory serves]. It is interesting that he knew the name well enough to correct Wade during the Press Conference. Also that he wasn't looking to whack Oswald when he was there in his 'disguise' and that no one thought it odd that he was there correcting the DA.

Another is the woman that claims to have been Babushka Lady, and I don't buy that bridge. I could buy one of Lee Oswald's imposters being gay, and having been running in the same circles as Ruby, who may have been bi-sexual or running with a 'beard' - but if I was running an extensive operation to kill the Commander in Chief, I wouldn't want to rely on someone as flaky as Jack Ruby? But at the same time, I also don't see his having been 'pre-selected' as Oswald's assassin. Still seems to me that Oswald wasn't supposed to be caught at the Theatre.

I think it's more likely that Ruby was indeed where he said he was - at the Dallas Morning news. However, if he indeed liked Kennedy, as we've all heard - then why would he stay there and miss the motorcade unless he was looking to establish an alibi as to his whereabouts? Maybe he was sifting through some information, and started to realize what was about to happen.

Gary Wean has Ruby being supplied with fake alibi's to distance him from complicity so as to cover any connection to Mickey Cohen, Meyer Lansky and the 'Mishpucka' Maffia - I find this interesting.

Speaking of Wean, may as well post the alleged conversation had between Tower, Wean, Decker and Murphy.

John smiled at Frank who’s head was wagging, he said, “I know exactly what you are thinking Frank and it gets worse. At first Hunt did not tell Oswald what his exact mission was, except it was one of the highest National Security priority. He was instructed to give his wife absolutely no hint whatsoever of his secret government connections. Hunt did not trust her, in fact, he was paranoid about Marina being a Russian spy. It was only two months before the Fake Assassination when Hunt gave Oswald the rifle,[11] explaining his part in the scheme. Oswald was to fire three shots from his rifle in the air, then abandon it and the empty cartridges at the scene. He was to quickly leave the building for a rendezvous with agents who would transport him to a secret destination where he’d remain in hiding until after Cuba was invaded by the United States. A fake trail to Mexico City ending at the Cuban Embassy would lead investigators to think he had fled to Cuba.[12] The belief that Castro planned the investigation of President Kennedy and the assassin was being harbored under his protection in Cuba would stir the Americans to a feverish pitch of anger, like, ‘Remember the Maine,’ the battleship blown up in Havana harbor in 1898. It started the Spanish American War. Oswald was shocked and not a little frightened, however Hunt convinced him that he could be saving the United States from destruction by nuclear rockets being planted in Cuba by Russia. He confided to Oswald that JFK had not been made aware of their plan, that was for the sake of authenticity of his reactions. But it was approved and sanctioned by high ranking members of the cabinet. Hunt assured him, after U.S. forces overran Cuba and exposed the Russian nuclear missiles, President Kennedy would forgive them for their precipitant actions.[13] He would perceive them as American heroes. Oswald could come in out of the cold and live as an ordinary citizen with his family, which desire he’d indicated a number of times. On first blush Oswald was extremely leery of the feasibility of Hunt’s plan. But commencing to see and feel the power and confidence of people behind the mission he joined eagerly. His orders were to leave a trail that could be easily followed, yet not so overly obvious as to bring down suspicion. And specifically the most critical part was the moment of firing the rifle. It must be instantly clear to the crowd and security people in the street as to the location and source of the shots.[14] Success of the operation depended entirely upon police quickly finding the rifle and the clues. The hysteria and excited press and TV announcers picking up the scent would trumpet a bloodhound hue and cry following the trail right to Fidel Castro’s doorstep.”

Audie mused, “Sounds exactly like a Hollywood script.”

“Yes, but by standards it was a basic plan. Of course all covert operations have inherent danger and are subject to break downs, but my God, this was no break down or neglect of performance, or even bad luck. What has happened is incomprehensible. It cannot be that the Mafia or Cuban exiles have done it, there is no motive, they had already been given inside tips that an operation was underway that would return them to Cuba. It would’ve been totally stupid for them to interfere. Anyway, even Oswald wasn’t told the route to take for his rendezvous until the last minute, so how could they possibly know where he was? Only a few of Hunt’s most trusted men knew all his plans down to the last detail. It is impossible to believe any of them is a traitor. Still it is clear, who ever killed the President had to know all the minute details to pull it off the way they did. Something very frightening, horribly sinister had interposed Hunt’s mission. He and his men are petrified, they conceive this as not just murder, they’ve been drawn into treason. The mysterious assassins then intercepted Oswald before he reached his rendezvous. Certainly they were about to kill him when the police officer happened upon the scene, they did not dare be caught with Oswald so they shot the officer. During the shooting Oswald ran and hid in a theatre, he was captured minutes later. It had to happen that way, I know, Oswald would never have shot an officer under any circumstances, I’m positive.”[15]

On the Ruby fireworks informant - I've said this before - I have a difficult time when one individual makes a claim that can't be supported by anyone else - like Seth Kantor. It's only Seth that says Ruby was at Parkland. Why should we doubt him, since it seemed to throw a wrench into the case being built by the Warren Commission? Because Ruby denied it. What would he stand to gain or lose by doing that? I've seen the photo, in Penn Jones stuff, which can be seen at Baylor. Not much to go on.

Or, there's also the possibility that Ruby overheard something. Ruby was doing his utmost to stay tapped in at the DPD. Ian Griggs interview with Shari Angel has Harry Olsen as being run over by Jack Ruby in a skating accident - which is why Olsen was guarding the Estate that day. Olsen probably knows a lot. I still wonder who the hell Johnny was, and why Olsen, Kathy Kay and Ruby would have headed over to talk to him until the wee hours - a garage mechanic? Does that make sense to anyone? Sort of a bizarre coincidence that Harry Olsen has a broken leg from an ice skating accident just prior - but then, there are so many such coincidences here.

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/03/JA/DR/.dr06.html

The Warren Commission tells us that Jack Ruby was not in Dealey Plaza

during the assassination. But on that day "Jack Ruby had telephoned a

friend and asked if he would 'like to watch the fireworks.' Unknown to

Ruby, his friend was an informant for the criminal intelligence division

of the Internal Revenue Service. He and Ruby were standing at the corner

of the Postal Annex Building [in Dealey Plaza] at the time of the

shooting," according to the informant (91). There are other unconfirmed

reports of Jack Ruby in Dealey Plaza that day, though neither John

Armstrong nor this author endorse all of them (92).

I'd like to know more about who the informant was, and whether or not his line was tapped [as it should have been], and if this conversation with Ruby was recorded. As with Ferrie's alibi's [Marcello who was Maffia, Wray who worked for Marcello and said his secretary had seen Ferrie in his office at 12:30pm - Central Time, Regis Kennedy - who is obviously dirty, since he was credited with authoring the FBI report that Marcello was an honest tomato salesman, etc.], I'm not sure I am going to trust solely in the words of one Government snitch employee - especially without knowing more.

Aside - Vince Drain remarked upon an 'incident' that occurred at Parkland - after the shooting. I had heard about it before. The Torbitt document has this being DeBrueys, Regis Kennedy's pal, who has to be forcibly restrained and removed from the hospital by the SS - but we think that Ruby may have been the one to place a fake bullet on a stretcher? And that Ruby was in Parkland because one witness saw him there, depite the fact that he was well known in many Dallas circles?

From the Drain interview:

http://karws.gso.uri.edu/JFK/history/the_d...need/Drain.html

Apparently a problem developed at the hospital when a fellow arrived without knowing exactly where he was. He was in a restricted area and had gone through the swinging doors when he was confronted by the Secret Service. They then grabbed him and removed him from the building. I didn't know what was going on at the time because I was already in the trauma room where the President was.

From Torbitt:

DeBrueys' chief assignment in the summer and fall of 1963 was to maintain a close vigil over Lee Harvey Oswald in New Orleans and Dallas. This he did, and after Oswald's death, DeBrueys gathered all of Oswald's personal belongings and carried them to J. Edgar Hoover in Washington, D.C.94

On November 22, before it was known that Kennedy was dead, Warren Debrueys walked into Parkland Hospital and tried to force his way into the room where President Kennedy was being attended.

Two Secret Service agents had a terrible fight with DeBrueys, before he was subdued in the room just outside of Kennedy's. He was held down by Secret Service agents until help arrived.95

If this is true....what the hell was he doing?

From everything I have read thus far [and I really should read a few Ruby books], Jack Ruby was a wannabe [and a meglomaniac]. A wannabe reporter. A wannabe undercover agent. A wannabe cop/gangster/etc. It's been said he corrected Wade about the Fair Play for Cuba to steer him away from another organization that was indeed involved - more speculation [and I forget the reference]. However, the Warren Report has him running about the morning after the assassination and taking photos of the Impeach Earl Warren signs, looking for Weissman, etc. IMO - has all the earmarks of someone who is putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5 - not only 5, but his religion is being implicated, through the name 'Weissman.' He was getting material, and seemed to be looking to build a case - and said it to the Warren Commission when he told them about the Birchers. Was Harry Olsen a Bircher? Tippit? How many Birchers would Ruby have been associated with through his connections at the Carousel? Seems logical to me that Ruby was putting together some facts - collecting material, and was becoming cognizant of the fact that the rightwing people he had associated with were seeking to blacken the identity of his people? And at the urging of some folks to be a 'hero' and to do something to redeem his faith [plus feed his ego], some newsmen enable his to gain access by allowing them to assit in carting some of their cameras into the basement for the transfer, which largely occurs as it does and when it does through media related pressure.

Dallas Morning News sports columnist Bud Shrake was watching TV in Modell’s office a couple hours before kickoff when he saw an acquaintance of his, nightclub owner Jack Ruby, murder accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald in the basement of Dallas Police Headquarters.

When Shrake saw fellow News reporter and roommate Gary Cartwright in the Municipal Stadium parking lot a few minutes later, he sprinted toward him and shouted: “Someone just shot Oswald, and you’ll never guess who it is!”

Without hesitation, Cartwright blurted out the name “Jack Ruby.” Shrake was stunned.

“I still don’t know why I said it,” said Cartwright, a widely published author and novelist who now writes for Texas Monthly. “It was just an immediate reaction that I had.”

Won't be able to find the reference at the moment - the name of one of the newsmen that may have assisted Ruby in gaining entrance to the DPD Basement - speculation of course...

Some Mae Brusell:

"And then there was the testimony of Bernard Weissman. He was only one of twelve military intelligence people that were brought from Germany to Dallas for the assassination. He testified that Lamar Hunt and twenty members of the Birch Society used his name on that inflammatory 'Wanted for Treason' ad in the Dallas Times Herald about Kennedy because he was Jewish and they wanted a Jewish name on it. Somehow, on November 24, 1963, the Nazi link, the oil Nazis, the American military from Munich and the two Jew patsies, Rubinstein and Weissman, were all right there in Dallas. As I collected every possible document, the world picture began to get clearer to me, and my interest in the Kennedy assassination became more involved with the Nazi links than with the anti-Castro Cuban links. My disagreement with researchers at large is that they want to stop with the Bay of Pigs operation, and I think it's bigger."

But why the Nazis? Racism, for one thing, says Mae. The Bormann Society, still dedicated to the establishment of the Fourth Reich, did not appreciate Kennedy's drive to educate Southern blacks and register them to vote. Nor did they care for the fact that he was Catholic and stood in opposition to the neo-Nazi oil interests."

Mafia leaders: Sam Giancana, Jimmy Hoffa, John Roselli—"It was just a fluke that he bounced up; his legs were cut off and his torso put in an oil drum. Carlo Gambino—given a shot of swine flu inoculation when he had a heart disease. Sheffield Edwards was killed and William Harvey was killed—the CIA contacts with the Mafia people—and the CIA agent Guy Bannister was killed. He worked with Robert Maheu and with Lee Harvey Oswald, and he flew out a window. The same people who were behind it are alive today, and they're sweeping away the bodies. It's at the highest levels that these conspiracies are planned, not just with a few Cuban exiles."

- lee

Is this person from dca film known. He wore a light coloured tie like Ruby(a light tie was prob less common?) did at times and a similar hat.

Edited by John Dolva

Concerning Ruby, didn't he change his story about being at the Morning News? And were there other sightings of Ruby in DP? He was seemingly everywhere that day.

On the question of Ruby's alibi, if its true, it wouldn't necessarily disprove Mercer's testimony as that concerned the earlier sighting of Ruby in the Ford pickup delivering the gun case.

Forgive the rambling....

There were multiple sightings of a man that would resemble Ruby that day. This leads me to speculate as to whether or not this was deliberate. I think most would agree that LHO was impersonated - 'doubled' by lookalikes that may or may not have been identical [the whole Lee & Harvey theory aside].

Marguerite Oswald was presented a photo of Saul, not Ruby - isn't that correct? Saul resembled Ruby. MacDonald, who allegedly interviewed Saul, had him on the top floor of the DalTex - not on the ground at the Plaza.

Along with Mercer, there are the descriptions provided by Bowers and Hoffman of the man behind the fence -middle aged and heavy set. That's the man I have been trying to figure out - the one I think may have been dressed as a Railroad Detective - dark suit, dark pants, black hat - that fired from the infamous GKS position behind the fence in the parking area. Not Ruby - but very possibly the man seen running by Jean Hill. Maybe even the man seen in the ghost images in the last frames of the z-film. Maybe this is the same man seen by Tom Tilson and his daughter [FWIW, I don't think that GKS was James Files, Charles Rogers, Jack Lawrence, Roscoe White, Emilio Santana, etc.].

In addition to this man, who may resemble Ruby in build, there is another man that may resemble him in stature, hairstyle, etc, who we see at the front of the TSBD in one of the Willis photos and one of the Murray photos. This man resembles Remigio G. 'CuCu' Arce - who may or may not be related to Danny Arce. And Ruby seems to have glasses in his pocket when he is gunning down Oswald at the DPD the next day [still like to know why Ruby's hat changes color between the various film frames vs the Warren Report exhibit]. Not relevant.

As for the connections between Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby - they seem to be fairly thin. And the invididuals making these connections [someone educate me if I am off here] don't seem to be highly credible. The National Enquirer is one. The reference to 4 DPD officers having seen articles collected from an apartment formerly occupied by a Cuban, and handed over to the FBI only to disappear. Among these articles, the Enquirer alleged, was an FPCC card with Jack Ruby as a member [number 54 if memory serves]. It is interesting that he knew the name well enough to correct Wade during the Press Conference. Also that he wasn't looking to whack Oswald when he was there in his 'disguise' and that no one thought it odd that he was there correcting the DA.

Another is the woman that claims to have been Babushka Lady, and I don't buy that bridge. I could buy one of Lee Oswald's imposters being gay, and having been running in the same circles as Ruby, who may have been bi-sexual or running with a 'beard' - but if I was running an extensive operation to kill the Commander in Chief, I wouldn't want to rely on someone as flaky as Jack Ruby? But at the same time, I also don't see his having been 'pre-selected' as Oswald's assassin. Still seems to me that Oswald wasn't supposed to be caught at the Theatre.

I think it's more likely that Ruby was indeed where he said he was - at the Dallas Morning news. However, if he indeed liked Kennedy, as we've all heard - then why would he stay there and miss the motorcade unless he was looking to establish an alibi as to his whereabouts? Maybe he was sifting through some information, and started to realize what was about to happen.

Gary Wean has Ruby being supplied with fake alibi's to distance him from complicity so as to cover any connection to Mickey Cohen, Meyer Lansky and the 'Mishpucka' Maffia - I find this interesting.

Speaking of Wean, may as well post the alleged conversation had between Tower, Wean, Decker and Murphy.

John smiled at Frank who’s head was wagging, he said, “I know exactly what you are thinking Frank and it gets worse. At first Hunt did not tell Oswald what his exact mission was, except it was one of the highest National Security priority. He was instructed to give his wife absolutely no hint whatsoever of his secret government connections. Hunt did not trust her, in fact, he was paranoid about Marina being a Russian spy. It was only two months before the Fake Assassination when Hunt gave Oswald the rifle,[11] explaining his part in the scheme. Oswald was to fire three shots from his rifle in the air, then abandon it and the empty cartridges at the scene. He was to quickly leave the building for a rendezvous with agents who would transport him to a secret destination where he’d remain in hiding until after Cuba was invaded by the United States. A fake trail to Mexico City ending at the Cuban Embassy would lead investigators to think he had fled to Cuba.[12] The belief that Castro planned the investigation of President Kennedy and the assassin was being harbored under his protection in Cuba would stir the Americans to a feverish pitch of anger, like, ‘Remember the Maine,’ the battleship blown up in Havana harbor in 1898. It started the Spanish American War. Oswald was shocked and not a little frightened, however Hunt convinced him that he could be saving the United States from destruction by nuclear rockets being planted in Cuba by Russia. He confided to Oswald that JFK had not been made aware of their plan, that was for the sake of authenticity of his reactions. But it was approved and sanctioned by high ranking members of the cabinet. Hunt assured him, after U.S. forces overran Cuba and exposed the Russian nuclear missiles, President Kennedy would forgive them for their precipitant actions.[13] He would perceive them as American heroes. Oswald could come in out of the cold and live as an ordinary citizen with his family, which desire he’d indicated a number of times. On first blush Oswald was extremely leery of the feasibility of Hunt’s plan. But commencing to see and feel the power and confidence of people behind the mission he joined eagerly. His orders were to leave a trail that could be easily followed, yet not so overly obvious as to bring down suspicion. And specifically the most critical part was the moment of firing the rifle. It must be instantly clear to the crowd and security people in the street as to the location and source of the shots.[14] Success of the operation depended entirely upon police quickly finding the rifle and the clues. The hysteria and excited press and TV announcers picking up the scent would trumpet a bloodhound hue and cry following the trail right to Fidel Castro’s doorstep.”

Audie mused, “Sounds exactly like a Hollywood script.”

“Yes, but by standards it was a basic plan. Of course all covert operations have inherent danger and are subject to break downs, but my God, this was no break down or neglect of performance, or even bad luck. What has happened is incomprehensible. It cannot be that the Mafia or Cuban exiles have done it, there is no motive, they had already been given inside tips that an operation was underway that would return them to Cuba. It would’ve been totally stupid for them to interfere. Anyway, even Oswald wasn’t told the route to take for his rendezvous until the last minute, so how could they possibly know where he was? Only a few of Hunt’s most trusted men knew all his plans down to the last detail. It is impossible to believe any of them is a traitor. Still it is clear, who ever killed the President had to know all the minute details to pull it off the way they did. Something very frightening, horribly sinister had interposed Hunt’s mission. He and his men are petrified, they conceive this as not just murder, they’ve been drawn into treason. The mysterious assassins then intercepted Oswald before he reached his rendezvous. Certainly they were about to kill him when the police officer happened upon the scene, they did not dare be caught with Oswald so they shot the officer. During the shooting Oswald ran and hid in a theatre, he was captured minutes later. It had to happen that way, I know, Oswald would never have shot an officer under any circumstances, I’m positive.”[15]

On the Ruby fireworks informant - I've said this before - I have a difficult time when one individual makes a claim that can't be supported by anyone else - like Seth Kantor. It's only Seth that says Ruby was at Parkland. Why should we doubt him, since it seemed to throw a wrench into the case being built by the Warren Commission? Because Ruby denied it. What would he stand to gain or lose by doing that? I've seen the photo, in Penn Jones stuff, which can be seen at Baylor. Not much to go on.

Or, there's also the possibility that Ruby overheard something. Ruby was doing his utmost to stay tapped in at the DPD. Ian Griggs interview with Shari Angel has Harry Olsen as being run over by Jack Ruby in a skating accident - which is why Olsen was guarding the Estate that day. Olsen probably knows a lot. I still wonder who the hell Johnny was, and why Olsen, Kathy Kay and Ruby would have headed over to talk to him until the wee hours - a garage mechanic? Does that make sense to anyone? Sort of a bizarre coincidence that Harry Olsen has a broken leg from an ice skating accident just prior - but then, there are so many such coincidences here.

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/03/JA/DR/.dr06.html

The Warren Commission tells us that Jack Ruby was not in Dealey Plaza

during the assassination. But on that day "Jack Ruby had telephoned a

friend and asked if he would 'like to watch the fireworks.' Unknown to

Ruby, his friend was an informant for the criminal intelligence division

of the Internal Revenue Service. He and Ruby were standing at the corner

of the Postal Annex Building [in Dealey Plaza] at the time of the

shooting," according to the informant (91). There are other unconfirmed

reports of Jack Ruby in Dealey Plaza that day, though neither John

Armstrong nor this author endorse all of them (92).

I'd like to know more about who the informant was, and whether or not his line was tapped [as it should have been], and if this conversation with Ruby was recorded. As with Ferrie's alibi's [Marcello who was Maffia, Wray who worked for Marcello and said his secretary had seen Ferrie in his office at 12:30pm - Central Time, Regis Kennedy - who is obviously dirty, since he was credited with authoring the FBI report that Marcello was an honest tomato salesman, etc.], I'm not sure I am going to trust solely in the words of one Government snitch employee - especially without knowing more.

Aside - Vince Drain remarked upon an 'incident' that occurred at Parkland - after the shooting. I had heard about it before. The Torbitt document has this being DeBrueys, Regis Kennedy's pal, who has to be forcibly restrained and removed from the hospital by the SS - but we think that Ruby may have been the one to place a fake bullet on a stretcher? And that Ruby was in Parkland because one witness saw him there, depite the fact that he was well known in many Dallas circles?

From the Drain interview:

http://karws.gso.uri.edu/JFK/history/the_d...need/Drain.html

Apparently a problem developed at the hospital when a fellow arrived without knowing exactly where he was. He was in a restricted area and had gone through the swinging doors when he was confronted by the Secret Service. They then grabbed him and removed him from the building. I didn't know what was going on at the time because I was already in the trauma room where the President was.

From Torbitt:

DeBrueys' chief assignment in the summer and fall of 1963 was to maintain a close vigil over Lee Harvey Oswald in New Orleans and Dallas. This he did, and after Oswald's death, DeBrueys gathered all of Oswald's personal belongings and carried them to J. Edgar Hoover in Washington, D.C.94

On November 22, before it was known that Kennedy was dead, Warren Debrueys walked into Parkland Hospital and tried to force his way into the room where President Kennedy was being attended.

Two Secret Service agents had a terrible fight with DeBrueys, before he was subdued in the room just outside of Kennedy's. He was held down by Secret Service agents until help arrived.95

If this is true....what the hell was he doing?

From everything I have read thus far [and I really should read a few Ruby books], Jack Ruby was a wannabe [and a meglomaniac]. A wannabe reporter. A wannabe undercover agent. A wannabe cop/gangster/etc. It's been said he corrected Wade about the Fair Play for Cuba to steer him away from another organization that was indeed involved - more speculation [and I forget the reference]. However, the Warren Report has him running about the morning after the assassination and taking photos of the Impeach Earl Warren signs, looking for Weissman, etc. IMO - has all the earmarks of someone who is putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5 - not only 5, but his religion is being implicated, through the name 'Weissman.' He was getting material, and seemed to be looking to build a case - and said it to the Warren Commission when he told them about the Birchers. Was Harry Olsen a Bircher? Tippit? How many Birchers would Ruby have been associated with through his connections at the Carousel? Seems logical to me that Ruby was putting together some facts - collecting material, and was becoming cognizant of the fact that the rightwing people he had associated with were seeking to blacken the identity of his people? And at the urging of some folks to be a 'hero' and to do something to redeem his faith [plus feed his ego], some newsmen enable his to gain access by allowing them to assit in carting some of their cameras into the basement for the transfer, which largely occurs as it does and when it does through media related pressure.

Dallas Morning News sports columnist Bud Shrake was watching TV in Modell’s office a couple hours before kickoff when he saw an acquaintance of his, nightclub owner Jack Ruby, murder accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald in the basement of Dallas Police Headquarters.

When Shrake saw fellow News reporter and roommate Gary Cartwright in the Municipal Stadium parking lot a few minutes later, he sprinted toward him and shouted: “Someone just shot Oswald, and you’ll never guess who it is!”

Without hesitation, Cartwright blurted out the name “Jack Ruby.” Shrake was stunned.

“I still don’t know why I said it,” said Cartwright, a widely published author and novelist who now writes for Texas Monthly. “It was just an immediate reaction that I had.”

Won't be able to find the reference at the moment - the name of one of the newsmen that may have assisted Ruby in gaining entrance to the DPD Basement - speculation of course...

Some Mae Brusell:

"And then there was the testimony of Bernard Weissman. He was only one of twelve military intelligence people that were brought from Germany to Dallas for the assassination. He testified that Lamar Hunt and twenty members of the Birch Society used his name on that inflammatory 'Wanted for Treason' ad in the Dallas Times Herald about Kennedy because he was Jewish and they wanted a Jewish name on it. Somehow, on November 24, 1963, the Nazi link, the oil Nazis, the American military from Munich and the two Jew patsies, Rubinstein and Weissman, were all right there in Dallas. As I collected every possible document, the world picture began to get clearer to me, and my interest in the Kennedy assassination became more involved with the Nazi links than with the anti-Castro Cuban links. My disagreement with researchers at large is that they want to stop with the Bay of Pigs operation, and I think it's bigger."

But why the Nazis? Racism, for one thing, says Mae. The Bormann Society, still dedicated to the establishment of the Fourth Reich, did not appreciate Kennedy's drive to educate Southern blacks and register them to vote. Nor did they care for the fact that he was Catholic and stood in opposition to the neo-Nazi oil interests."

Mafia leaders: Sam Giancana, Jimmy Hoffa, John Roselli—"It was just a fluke that he bounced up; his legs were cut off and his torso put in an oil drum. Carlo Gambino—given a shot of swine flu inoculation when he had a heart disease. Sheffield Edwards was killed and William Harvey was killed—the CIA contacts with the Mafia people—and the CIA agent Guy Bannister was killed. He worked with Robert Maheu and with Lee Harvey Oswald, and he flew out a window. The same people who were behind it are alive today, and they're sweeping away the bodies. It's at the highest levels that these conspiracies are planned, not just with a few Cuban exiles."

- lee

More ramblings,

Trying to nail down Ruby's movements after the assassination is quite a task. Posner devotes a large slab of his book describing Ruby's movements and it seems like he is trying to portray Ruby as crazy--regularly bursting into tears and fits of rage by turns. He probably was crazy but I think somewhere along the line he got his orders to shoot LHO from a contact (maybe Breck Wall?). I might go through it all again on the weekend, but there's so much heresay involved it's probably not worth the time.

The weight of evidence puts him in Dealey Plaza, IMO. There's the fireworks comment, the Malcolm Couch/Wes Wise heresay and Jean Hill's runner versus the WC's DMN employee Don Campbell--who can only vouch for Ruby's presence up to 12.20 anyway. Did I leave anyone out? This lends weight to Julieanne Mercer's testimony about Ruby delivering the gun case. Mercer was very specific about her descriptions. Further, she informed the DPD that she could identify the two men again. Garrison also interviewed her and found her highly credible. Her description of the younger man was "white male, late 20's or early 30's, grey jacket, brown pants, plaid shirt". Is it possible this was the jacket found two blocks from the scene of the Tippit murder--the latter being described as "light grey"? Did Ruby's offsider kill Tippit? Were Ruby and his offsider tasked with maintaining contact with and murdering LHO, the plan unravelling through the intervention of Tippit? The evidence points to Ruby knowing LHO and he did, IMO. An earlier stuff up by Ruby could be used as an argument to persuade him to fix up his mess and murder LHO. Maybe Ruby's incredibly erratic behavior after JFK's death was due to him knowing he had bungled his role, whatever that may have been. Wildly speculating here, of course.