The Education Forum

Hurricane Wilma

I am due to fly out to Miami on Sunday just about the time that Wilma threatens to arrive on the scene. I wonder if any forum members from the Florida area have more up to date and relevant information about the situation on the ground.

:D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am due to fly out to Miami on Sunday just about the time that Wilma threatens to arrive on the scene. I wonder if any forum members from the Florida area have more up to date and relevant information about the situation on the ground.

:lol:

Tim Gratz will know. Why don't you ask Tim to arrange a boat trip for you with Gerry Hemming to Cuba? :D

:(

Tim Gratz will know. Why don't you ask Tim to arrange a boat trip for you with Gerry Hemming to Cuba? :o

I believe the proposed trip is dangerous enough already :unsure:

Wilma will be the third hurricane to hit Key West in three months (if in fact it does hit or "near miss" us). It's getting a little old! But it is still too early to tell which way it will go when it leaves Mexico. (All of the tourists were evacuated several days ago.)

Edited by Tim Gratz

Well I ran into a very nice fellow from Norwich, England who arrived last Wednesday and defied the mandatory evacuation order and will be here to observe the hurricane (if it comes our way).

Brings to mind the poem about only mad dogs and Englishmen going out in the heat of the noonday sun. We'll have to adapt the poem to make it about hurricanes!

Well I ran into a very nice fellow from Norwich, England who arrived last Wednesday and defied the mandatory evacuation order and will be here to observe the hurricane (if it comes our way).

Brings to mind the poem about only mad dogs and Englishmen going out in the heat of the noonday sun. We'll have to adapt the poem to make it about hurricanes!

I have a stout windcheater and plenty of natural ballast so should be fine

I have been through at least one hurricane with close to 90 mph gusts and it really wasn't all that bad. I heard a radio commentator saying that if the hurricanes were really all that bad, the television networks would not send their reporters to stand out in the wind and rain and talk about how bad it is.

Which is not, of course, to downplay the tragic devestation of Katrina in New Orleans. But unlike New Orleans, for at least the past three days Key West has been providing free bus transportation (to a shelter in Miami) to those without private transporation.

So I don't think you'll have much to worry about, Andy!

I have been through at least one hurricane with close to 90 mph gusts and it really wasn't all that bad. I heard a radio commentator saying that if the hurricanes were really all that bad, the television networks would not send their reporters to stand out in the wind and rain and talk about how bad it is.

Which is not, of course, to downplay the tragic devestation of Katrina in New Orleans. But unlike New Orleans, for at least the past three days Key West has been providing free bus transportation (to a shelter in Miami) to those without private transporation.

So I don't think you'll have much to worry about, Andy!

90mph :lol: That's considered a girl's wind where I'm from

My main concern is that I will spend most of my holiday sitting in an airport waiting to get there.

Worse than sitting in an airport is sitting in a plane while the pilot tries to find a route down through or round a storm. I recall flying into Heathrow in the middle of a spectacular storm. We circled for nearly an hour, listening to the "thumps" as lightning keep striking the plane. About a dozen passengers threw up due to the buffeting of the plane in the wind gusts and air pockets. The captain and the first officer were remarkably quiet while all this was going on. I guess they needed to concentrate. When we finally landed, everyone applauded and the captain came on the PA system saying, "I am sorry you have all had a bad time. If it's any consolation, this is the worst storm I have ever landed in."

I have driven through a tropical storm in Florida and walked through one in New Orleans - very wet and windy, but probably nothing compared to a hurricane. I did, however, experience a tornado while camping near Venice, Italy. Our tent was on the fringe and only suffered minor damage, but trees were uprooted and houses brought down in the centre of its path.

My heart bled when I saw the devastation of New Orleans and the dreadful plight of its population in the TV news broadcasts.

Worse than sitting in an airport is sitting in a plane while the pilot tries to find a route down through or round a storm. I recall flying into Heathrow in the middle of a spectacular storm. We circled for nearly an hour, listening to the "thumps" as lightning keep striking the plane. About a dozen passengers threw up due to the buffeting of the plane in the wind gusts and air pockets. The captain and the first officer were remarkably quiet while all this was going on. I guess they needed to concentrate. When we finally landed, everyone applauded and the captain came on the PA system saying, "I am sorry you have all had a bad time. If it's any consolation, this is the worst storm I have ever landed in."

I have driven through a tropical storm in Florida and walked through one in New Orleans - very wet and windy, but probably nothing compared to a hurricane. I did, however, experience a tornado while camping near Venice, Italy. Our tent was on the fringe and only suffered minor damage, but trees were uprooted and houses brought down in the centre of its path.

My heart bled when I saw the devastation of New Orleans and the dreadful plight of its population in the TV news broadcasts.

Thanks Graham you've really put my mind at rest :lol::lol:

I forgot to mention the crocodiles that lurk in the Everglades and some of the strange things that swim in the sea off the Florida coast.

On the other hand, you might just enjoy the sunshine and the excellent sea food. The blackened grouper in Mike Gordon’s restaurant is fabulous: Mike Gordon's Seafood Restaurant. 1201 NE 79th St, Miami.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn, Key Largo, some years ago. Interesting if you are a Bogart fan. You can view the original African Queen boat there, and just up the road is the Italian Fisherman restaurant, where I believe part of the movie "Key Largo" was filmed.

I forgot to mention the crocodiles that lurk in the Everglades and some of the strange things that swim in the sea off the Florida coast.

On the other hand, you might just enjoy the sunshine and the excellent sea food. The blackened grouper in Mike Gordon’s restaurant is fabulous: Mike Gordon's Seafood Restaurant. 1201 NE 79th St, Miami.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn, Key Largo, some years ago. Interesting if you are a Bogart fan. You can view the original African Queen boat there, and just up the road is the Italian Fisherman restaurant, where I believe part of the movie "Key Largo" was filmed.

Thanks for the recommendations Graham

We are staying with family but will certainly look up the restaurant once the wind dies down!