The Education Forum

Solved (soon)

Mark Stapleton

SYDNEY DAILY TELEGRAPH November 5, 2005.

"Australian scientist and DNA expert Ian Findlay will use a powerful new technique to try to unmask the real Jack the Ripper, writes Kate Murray:

Professor Findlay, of Griffith University in Queensland hopes his new cell track ID will be able to profile the DNA of both the killer and one of his victims, prostitute Catherine Eddowes.

The revolutionary method needs only one cell or a single strand of hair to produce a DNA profile of the owner, and has been proven to work on cells 160 years old--16 times better than the limit of conventional DNA testing. Most DNA profiles require several cells to create a "fingerprint" and existing techniques cannot be used on old or damaged DNA.

But Professor Findlay used the Cell Track technique to test a brooch containing a 160 year old hair--and discovered that the single strands of hair belonged to four different people, three women and a man.

"With these ancient hairs we didn't think they would work and they just worked so well", said Findlay, who is also chief scientist at the Gribbes Molecular Science independant laboratory.

After his success with the brooch, a private collector in Britain contacted Findlay with a lock of hair believed to belong to Eddowes, who was murdered on September 30, 1888.

More than 600 letters claiming to be from the Ripper were sent to London police during his reign of terror. Most are believed to be hoaxes but two contained body parts--one a piece of kidney and the other a piece of earlobe. Those letters could unlock the mystery.

When the hair and letters arrive from England it could be just a week before the Ripper's identity is revealed.

Since the Ripper was around in the 1880's it could be possible to identify him from his current descendants. Several men were suspected of being JTR and if a genetic fingerprint is obtained from the envelopes, the descendants will be contacted for a match......."

Pretty incredible but if the Ripper is a complete unknown, then I guess we'll never discover his identity as we don't know who his descendants are. Not sure if all the descendants of the known suspects will agree to assist either. What do you think of it, Steve?

Guest Stephen Turner

Fascinating stuff Mark, I can see a lot of potential pitfalls but who knows, maybe this method will unlock the secrets of this case once and for all. Steve.

Fascinating stuff Mark, I can see a lot of potential pitfalls but who knows, maybe this method will unlock the secrets of this case once and for all. Steve.

I would rate the chances of closure at 15%. If this case is finally solved it would probably be the world record for time taken to solve a crime--hopefully the JFK case won't break that record.

Guest Stephen Turner

Mark, while were here buddy, whats happened to your Mr Levy?

Better hurry, I hear Tim's about to break the case with his stunning thesis, JTR, Castro's grandad!!!!

Better hurry, I hear Tim's about to break the case with his stunning thesis, JTR, Castro's grandad!!!!

Steve,

Er..Apologies about that. I couldn't find anything about him (except the stuff in Casebook)

so I dropped off it. I strongly suspect its a conspiracy by historians to prevent me from solving the case. :)

Steve, your topics on JTR has inspired me to do a bit of dabbling in the case, nothing to contribute (I've mostly been fiddling with the letters to do image analysis, etc - a good source would be helpful), but to jump in before Tim!

Throwing all caution to the wind and not meaning to detract from the serious side of the topic but having fun with some coincidences:

The guy who supposedly vanished to the US>

At the time of the Great Exhibition in Chicago (Crystal palace:Ruby,White City:KKK) there was a club around people fascinated by the whitechapel murders. At the same time there was a Texan in town who appears to have been inspired by ole Jack (Jack, Jackie). He built a 3 story murder house where he, in secret chambers and passageways, disposed of ladies who came to Chicago seeking fortune. His assumed name? :: Harry D. Holmes!!!* ( connection to Post Office? he wrote letters :)

But serioulsly. The DNA thingy could prove most interesting.

(BTW I think one of the centuries old 'bogmen' in Denmark with a rope around his neck has been matched with a report of a taxman disappearing while visiting a village near where the body was found.)

EDIT:: * must have HD on the brain, I mean HH in the ripper instance.

Edited by John Dolva

Guest Stephen Turner

Also you can find all the ripper letters, and much more besides at www.casebook.org this site is a top class resource for all things "Ripperish" be interested to see what you come up with John, bearing inmind your sterling work with the JFK photo archive.

Mark, maybe just post what you have? he is an interesting candidate, and may well spark some debate.

Regards Steve.

Also you can find all the ripper letters, and much more besides at www.casebook.org this site is a top class resource for all things "Ripperish" be interested to see what you come up with John, bearing inmind your sterling work with the JFK photo archive.

Mark, maybe just post what you have? he is an interesting candidate, and may well spark some debate.

Regards Steve.

John,

Welcome to the Jack the Ripper case. As you can see, Steve's an avid Ripperologist and can help you with any queries. Plenty of other experts here, too.

Steve,

I only have what's in Casebook but I can post it. Might just wait to see what Professor Findlay comes up with. It might make us all redundant.

Mark,Stephen et al , you'll have to put me right on this one. I couldn't find a ref. to anything like it on the net so here's for comment:

Take the 'ha' out of 'William H. Bury', add a bit of red stuff (the proper sort, in glass like, sparkling) : 'I'm will ruby'.

So : when billy boy gets upset, he rips.

On another letter which shares a statistical similarity re letter use to the letter I based this on the signature is 'yours till death" : yours, will bury

Edited by John Dolva

Steve, your topics on JTR has inspired me to do a bit of dabbling in the case, nothing to contribute (I've mostly been fiddling with the letters to do image analysis, etc - a good source would be helpful), but to jump in before Tim!

Throwing all caution to the wind and not meaning to detract from the serious side of the topic but having fun with some coincidences:

At the time of the Great Exhibition in Chicago (Crystal palace:Ruby,White City:KKK) there was a club around people fascinated by the whitechapel murders. At the same time there was a Texan in town who appears to have been inspired by ole Jack (Jack, Jackie). He built a 3 story murder house where he, in secret chambers and passageways, disposed of ladies who came to Chicago seeking fortune. His assumed name? :: Harry D. Holmes!!!* ( connection to Post Office? he wrote letters :P

(BTW I think one of the centuries old 'bogmen' in Denmark with a rope around his neck has been matched with a report of a taxman disappearing while visiting a village near where the body was found.)

The guys name was H.H. Holmes, aka D.W. Mudget. Try 'The Devil and the White City' for a great read about this extraordinary madman. Who was far too organized and ghoulish to be JTR. Holmes sold the skeletons of many of his victims to medical schools! The apartment building in Lawndale that he built was a death factory.

These methods are so different from JTW that I really doubt that it could be the same personality. Besides, Holmes earlier history is known.

Now that guy Tumblety (?) who ended up in St. Louis, he fits the profile for JTW real well.

At the time of the Great Exhibition in Chicago (Crystal palace:Ruby,White City:KKK) there was a club around people fascinated by the whitechapel murders. At the same time there was a Texan in town who appears to have been inspired by ole Jack (Jack, Jackie). He built a 3 story murder house where he, in secret chambers and passageways, disposed of ladies who came to Chicago seeking fortune. His assumed name? :: Harry D. Holmes!!!* ( connection to Post Office? he wrote letters :P

The guys name was H.H. Holmes, aka D.W. Mudget. Try 'The Devil and the White City' for a great read about this extraordinary madman. Who was far too organized and ghoulish to be JTR. Holmes sold the skeletons of many of his victims to medical schools! The apartment building in Lawndale that he built was a death factory.

These methods are so different from JTW that I really doubt that it could be the same personality. Besides, Holmes earlier history is known.

Now that guy Tumblety (?) who ended up in St. Louis, he fits the profile for JTW real well.

Norman,

If and it's a big if, those DNA experts obtain a DNA fingerprint from the saliva on the envelopes, Tumblety's descendants will be among those contacted. He's my second pick after Jacob Levy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mark, any more news on this?

Steve,

Apologies for my tardy reply. No, I haven't come up with anything more about it--yet. I hope it doesn't just fizzle out. If they extracted a DNA fingerprint (they were confident) and it doesn't match any of the descendants of the known suspects, then I hope they publish the story. Either way, we may not be any closer to closure. It was always a longshot.