The Education Forum

New ripper letter?

Guest Stephen Turner

John,

I don't regard any of your questions as stupid, I just think it's great to see 'a newbie' (as you describe yourself) with such a genuine curiosity and considered opinion taking an interest in the subject.

Regarding the 'new' letter, i.e. the one dated 17th Sept 1888, please take it from me that it is not worth pursuing and it is not the one that you were writing about anyway. The one you are referring to is the 24 September 1888 letter that is the earliest dated letter in the police files. Ergo, it is a genuine 1888 letter but, almost certainly, it is not from the killer but from a Victorian hoaxer. I wonder where the Education Services Workshops obtained the image from? I shall take a look at their site.

I have taken a look at the headboard shot, using a magnifying glass, but cannot see anything other than the grainy flaws due to the poor quality of such an old photograph.

Best Wishes,

Stewart

John,

I've taken a look at the Education Service Workshops which is a new site added by the National Archives. The photographs they reproduce of the various letters are pretty poor quality with bad pixellation, therefore difficult to work with.

It's an interesting site, but they really should have had someone putting it together who knew the subject - watch out for the errors!

Stewart