The Education Forum

Who Was Smarter?

Tim Gratz

Thomas, I am as innocent of your accusation as most of us believe Oswald was of the JFK murder.

Twas not I who first inserted into the "JFK Assassination Debate" section disparaging remarks on the intelligence of Ronald Reagan. I felt it my duty to God, country and all honorable things to respond.

I am not the one who starts inserting all the extraneous matter here. And there is a lot of it, as you know.

Tim,

Gee whiz, thanks for finally bringing some "closure" to this inane subject!

Seriously, Thomas

PS Now you can get back to what you evidently enjoy doing the most: trying to convince we ignorant, naive and/or downright unpatriotic researchers how it was really Castro that offed JFK...

Edited by Thomas Graves

Dawn, I liked Bobby, even if RR did whip his derriere in that debate.

To Thomas,

Had I not felt my responsibility to answer some of this extraneous stuff (perhaps I should not have) we woulda' all been marching on Havana six months ago!

But you are right. Let's close this. No one thinks RR was a conspirator. Some think he was the victim of a CIA plot against his life that failed.

Topic closed.

Let's solve the case!

Aside from a claim that Reagan was the winner in the earlier post. Not much was provided.

I read the debate and I don't see any clear defeat or embarassment of Kennedy, who was in the very difficult position that Congressman Murtha is in today. Criticizing a war and wrongly being carried out while trying not to dismiss the government's foreign policy wholesale.

It is too easy to play John Wayne and wave the flag and say that criticizng the government is a dangerous thing in a time of war. (Reagan says that if the war was actually declared most of the 1967 protests would be illegal)

After five years of listening to Bush struggle to clearly communicate, I think it is clear by this debate that Reagan could communicate his ideas, adapt in the middle of an arguement, and, prior to being president, could likely have passed a quiz about world leaders.

Here is a Link to the debate.

Robert Kennedy

And I think that it's important that the United States associate itself with--with those forces within a country who are in favor not just of change for change's sake, but--but for a better life for the people of these nations, not with the prince in his palace or the general in his barracks, but with the peasant in the field, and with the student and with those who want to lead a better life, and lead their country in a better life, not to turn over to one tyranny, however, for another tyranny, not for one kind of dictatorship to another kind of dictatorship.

Does this seem accurate to you?

Ronald Reagan

Now, I'd also like to challenge something else about the supposed evils of the Diem regime. I do approve of Diem's land reform in which he took from the great mandarin holdings, and began to make land available to the peasants and to the people of Vietnam, who had never owned land before. But also, I would like to call to your attention that a team from the U.N. was sent to Saigon, Vietnam, to investigate the charges against Diem's regime They did investigate those, but as they returned to this country, Diem was assassinated, which I think was one of the great tragedies of this whole conflict; and the United Nations report, which they declined to make official because they thought why bring anything up now that he's been killed, has on the other hand, been published, there has been public access to it, and the United Nations report completely cleared the Diem regime of any of the charges that had been brought against him.
Edited by Raymond Blair

Guest Stephen Turner

Bush couldn't find his own backside with two routemaps, and a flashlight, Regan probably could just about manage the task. we have now settled the superiority of a louse over a flea.

Your insults reflect badly on you, Stephen. Anyone who has not read enough to understand Reagan's intelligence is--well, I won't go there. And Bush graduated from one of the most prestigious universities in this country. From whence is your undergraduate degree?

in any event, this topic was supposed to be closed!