The Education Forum

George Best

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

Great scene's at Old Trafford, and a worthy send off to a great footballer. The Glaziers obvious by their absence. The replies to this topic seem to mirror the mans life, a paradox.

Guest Stephen Turner

Patrick, Its an old Anarchist saying from the 1970's (Which makes me an old anachist from the 1970's, WEEP) Feel free to use in any social context that you feel applies. Steve.

Football legend George (Georgie) Best died today aged 60. I saw Bestie play on many occasions, and he was without doubt the most naturally talented footballer Britian ever produced. RIP George :)

..great little snippet re. Guy F. and Parliament: yours.,or quoted?? I'd like to reuse it

Wait a minute. What do you mean "the most naturally talented footballer Britian ever produced"?

I thought George was a Mick? Is not Northern Irleand a sea apart from Britian?

My favorite George Best quote is, "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I squandured."

Bill Kelly

Guest Stephen Turner

Football legend George (Georgie) Best died today aged 60. I saw Bestie play on many occasions, and he was without doubt the most naturally talented footballer Britian ever produced. RIP George :)

..great little snippet re. Guy F. and Parliament: yours.,or quoted?? I'd like to reuse it

Wait a minute. What do you mean "the most naturally talented footballer Britian ever produced"?

I thought George was a Mick? Is not Northern Irleand a sea apart from Britian?

My favorite George Best quote is, "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I squandured."

Bill Kelly

Bill,

Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain, Southern Ireland (Eire) is not. So rightly or wrongly, Georgie is a Brit. Plus he is Manchester's favorite Son.

I like the story were Best is in the suite of a luxery hotel, he has won £20,000 at the gaming tables, and is geting comfy with the latest Miss World. A waiter who is delivering Champagne, and lobster looks at Best, shakes his head and says," Georgie, where did it all go wrong"

Stephen writes:

>Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain, Southern Ireland (Eire) is not. So rightly or wrongly, Georgie is a Brit. Plus he is Manchester's favorite Son.<

Northern Ireland is NOT part of Great Britain. Northern Ireland is part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - as printed on the front of my passport. On the other hand, Protestants in Northern Ireland will often describe themselves as "British", whereas Catholics living in Northern Ireland are more likely to describe themselves as "Irish". My wife, a Protestant from Northern Ireland, can't make up her mind. If asked about her nationality, she will usually describe herself as "Irish", especially when talking to people from outside the UK, but "British" when it suits her, mainly for political reasons. Being half-Welsh, I am aware of such sensitivities. My father always described himself as "Welsh", not "British", and saw red if anyone referred to him as "English". There is no adjective derived from "United Kingdom".

The whole of Ireland used to be part of the UK (as from 1801), but the 26 counties in the South became the Irish Free State in 1921. The six counties of Northern Ireland opted out and remained part of the UK.

The concept of the UK/Great Britain can be confusing:

The Channel Isles are "Peculiars of the Crown", owing allegiance to Queen Elizabeth II in her hereditary role of Duke (not Duchess) of Normandy. Therefore they are part of Great Britain, but not part of the UK, and they are not members of the European Union. The Isle of Man has a similar status.

England, Wales and Scotland are part of Great Britain and of the UK.

Guest Stephen Turner

Graham, thanks for putting me right (its a dirty job etc) Having Irish, Scotish, Rumanian and east anglian blood running though my veins, I to can get a bit confused. Steve.

Wow, what a mix! B)

I can't compete with that! But my two daughters are a mix of English, Welsh and Irish, with a trace of Scottish from my wife's Ulster family, the Campbell clan.

• 4 months later...
Guest Stephen Turner

At last week ends semi final at Old Trafford Liverpool "fans" sung obscene songs about George Best, and their usual hilarious songs about the Munich air disaster. They also did several thousand £s worth of damage to terracing, and seats, and as a final trick smeared feaces over walls, which were also covered in abusive grafitti, some of which called Harold Shipman a hero..So much for the World famous Scouse wit :o

At last week ends semi final at Old Trafford Liverpool "fans" sung obscene songs about George Best, and their usual hilarious songs about the Munich air disaster. They also did several thousand £s worth of damage to terracing, and seats, and as a final trick smeared feaces over walls, which were also covered in abusive grafitti, some of which called Harold Shipman a hero..So much for the World famous Scouse wit :angry:

It would be childish would it not to label a whole group of people because of the actions of a few? Hard core pillocks can be found in most groups - e.g.the Manchester supporters who sing that charming little song about Bill Shankly, not to mention the disgusting references to Hilsborough chanted regularly at Man U/Liverpool games. I also remember with fondness being physical attacked by a group of West Ham fans in the 1980s calling themselves the Inter City Firm.

I have no doubt however that the majority of the supporters from all three clubs are decent civilised human beings.

Guest Stephen Turner

At last week ends semi final at Old Trafford Liverpool "fans" sung obscene songs about George Best, and their usual hilarious songs about the Munich air disaster. They also did several thousand £s worth of damage to terracing, and seats, and as a final trick smeared feaces over walls, which were also covered in abusive grafitti, some of which called Harold Shipman a hero..So much for the World famous Scouse wit :)

It would be childish would it not to label a whole group of people because of the actions of a few? Hard core pillocks can be found in most groups - e.g.the Manchester supporters who sing that charming little song about Bill Shankly, not to mention the disgusting references to Hilsborough chanted regularly at Man U/Liverpool games. I also remember with fondness being physical attacked by a group of West Ham fans in the 1980s calling themselves the Inter City Firm.

I have no doubt however that the majority of the supporters from all three clubs are decent civilised human beings.

Andy, I did not mean to imply that all Liverpdulians, or even a significant minority, would behave in this manner. If thats how my post came across then I apologise. I do however have a friend who works on the groundstaff at Old traford, and he described the damage done as the worst he had seen in 20 years, and that the majority of the Liverpool supporters behaved in an aggresive, and abusive way. BTW, the "Munich" chants (started by Leeds supporters) far predate Hilsborough, or Bill Shankleys untimely demise.

At last week ends semi final at Old Trafford Liverpool "fans" sung obscene songs about George Best, and their usual hilarious songs about the Munich air disaster. They also did several thousand £s worth of damage to terracing, and seats, and as a final trick smeared feaces over walls, which were also covered in abusive grafitti, some of which called Harold Shipman a hero..So much for the World famous Scouse wit :)

Andy, I did not mean to imply that all Liverpdulians, or even a significant minority, would behave in this manner. If thats how my post came across then I apologise. I do however have a friend who works on the groundstaff at Old traford, and he described the damage done as the worst he had seen in 20 years, and that the majority of the Liverpool supporters behaved in an aggresive, and abusive way. BTW, the "Munich" chants (started by Leeds supporters) far predate Hilsborough, or Bill Shankleys untimely demise.

Hi Stephen and Andy

As a long-time Liverpool fan and soccer supporter in general, it makes me sad to read this.

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Coin Toss

The gentlemanly courtesies at the beginning of the Match:

captains shake hands, exchange pennants, a coin's tossed.

The lucky captain chooses the ends to attack and defend.

Heads I win, tails you lose. If only such courtesy could prevail

over the next ninety of torrid football action, scything tackles,

player goading player, fans taunting players, who provoke fans--

and then, then, the bright fan who throws a coin at a player.

No longer the sedate niceties of the pre-match civilities.

What ever happened to the beautiful game?

Lost in the toss of another coin.

Christopher T. George

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally appeared on Football Poets. © Christopher T. George 2006

Edited by Christopher T. George

, and that the majority of the Liverpool supporters behaved in an aggresive, and abusive way. BTW, the "Munich" chants (started by Leeds supporters) far predate Hilsborough, or Bill Shankleys untimely demise.

The hatred between a significant if minority section of both sets of supporters is well documented and I condone none of it. - take a look at some of the supporters forums below and you will quickly get very depressed.

Liverpool

Manchester Utd

However Stephen saying "you started it" doesn't help or inform so much.