The Education Forum

Carl Jenkins

John Simkin

To Bill:

Respectfully, and I could be wrong, there is no federal crime against conspiracy per se. Here is a link to the federal crimes on conspiracy:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/d...10_I_20_19.html

Here is one of them in full:

(a) Whoever, with intent that another person engage in conduct constituting a felony that has as an element the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against property or against the person of another in violation of the laws of the United States, and under circumstances strongly corroborative of that intent, solicits, commands, induces, or otherwise endeavors to persuade such other person to engage in such conduct, shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half of the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the crime solicited, or both; or if the crime solicited is punishable by life imprisonment or death, shall be imprisoned for not more than twenty years.

I added the italics. I believe (could be wrong) that if there exists a conspiracy solely to violate Texas law, that is NOT a federal offense.

Sorry.

There have been prosecutions for violation of a person's federal civil rights. This might be a possibility but I am not sure if there would exist a statute of limitations issue.

Edited by Tim Gratz

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Sheehan became another Jim Garrison. During his investigation the CIA launched a massive smear campaign against him. Leading this campaign was a woman called Susan Huck. She put around stories that Sheehan and the Christic Institute were "instruments of Soviet disinformation". That Sheehan's lawsuit advanced "Soviet interests" and was an attempt to weaken the United States. Huck argued that the Soviets were out to get people like Ted Shackley, Tom Clines, Raphael Quintero, Felix Rodriguez, Richard Secord, etc. because of their "record of thwarting... Moscow and Havana for three decades". Huck went onto publish a book, Legal Terrorism, about Sheehan's attack on the CIA.

There were two parts to Sheehan's lawsuit. One involved the CIA assassination team that had been run by Shackley and company since the early 1960s and the other involved Reagan's use of Congress' decision to grant 27 million dollars in non-lethal aid for the Contras in Nicaragua. According to Sheehan the Reagan administration were using this money to provide weapons to the Contras and the Mujahideen in Afghanistan.

On 5th October, 1986, a Sandinista patrol in Nicaragua shot down a C-123K cargo plane that was supplying the Contras. Eugene Hasenfus, an Air America veteran, survived the crash and told his captors that he thought the CIA was behind the operation. He also provided information on two Cuban-Americans running the operation in El Savador. This resulted in journalists being able to identify Raphael Quintero and Felix Rodriguez as the two Cuban-Americans. It gradually emerged that Clines, Oliver North, Edwin Wilson and Richard Secord were also involved in this conspiracy to provide arms to the Contras.

Shirley Brill, a former CIA official, published a 24 page affidavit in 1988. Brill had lived with Tom Clines in 1977 and claimed that he was involved in illegal activities with Raphael Quintero and a drug dealer living in Miami. After retering from the CIA in 1978, Brill claims Clines joined forces with Ted Shackley, Richard Secord and Edwin Wilson in order to gain Pentagon contracts. Brill also argued that she heard Clines, Secord, Quintero and Shakley plotting to frame Wilson.

Brill's information added support to the stories provided to Sheehan by Gene Wheaton (Source 48) and Carl Jenkins (Source 49). However, on 23rd June, 1988, Judge James L. King ruled that Sheehan's allegations were "based on unsubstantiated rumor and speculation from unidentified sources with no firsthand knowledge". In February, 1989, Judge King ruled that Sheehan had brought a frivolous lawsuit and ordered his Christic Institute to pay the defendants $955,000. This was one of the highest sanction orders in history and represented four times the total assets of the Christic Institute.

Despite Sheehan's information being correct about what eventually became known as the Iran-Contra scandal, none of these men were ever convicted in a court of law for these offences. The only one to go to prison was Tom Clines as a result of under-reporting his income from his various business enterprises by at least $260,000 and with failing to disclose on his tax returns that he had an overseas bank account. Clines was found guilty and sentenced to sixteen months and a $40,000 fine.

Shackley was never charged with any offence although Oliver North's notebook that was declassified in 1990 showed that he had been involved in selling arms to the Contras since December 1984. Instead of being sent to prison, Shackley received a libel payout of $148,296 from Sheehan.

Oliver North's notebook also shows that Tom Clines, Raphael Quintero, Felix Rodriguez, Albert Hakim and Richard Secord were also involved in this conspiracy. They only one to suffer from this was Daniel Sheehan who was forced into bankrupcy.

It is of course possible that Sheehan was right both about the Iran-Contra story and the CIA assassination team that originally was set up to kill Fidel Castro but was later used against other figures who posed a threat to the agency. If Wheaton is to be believed, it was this team that killed JFK.

According to Sheehan, his two main sources were Wheaton and Jenkins (although he later denied this). Why did they do this? One theory is that Wheaton and Jenkins had both been part of the original deal (both men had established a cargo airline called National Air in 1985). It is believed that this airline was to be used to transport arms to the Contras in Nicaragua and the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. For some reason Clines decided to cut Wheaton and Jenkins out of the deal. As a result, both men decided to get even by informing against those involved in these two CIA conspiracies.

This CIA document was declassified in 1993. It shows that Carl Jenkins was indeed involved in the plot to assassinate Fidel Castro:

Edward S. Cates, Chief, Imagery Exploitation Group, Memorandum (21st March, 1975)

1. On 19 March, Dino A.Brugioni, Chief, Western Geographic Division, informed me that three personnel assigned to his division had told him that while serving at JMWAVE, Miami, Florida or in the Imagery Analysis Service in Washington during the 1960's, they had ,heard references to assassination plans on Fidel Castro

2. On 20 March, I met with the following NPIC personnel who had either served in the Imagery Analysis Service or at JMWAVE on Cuban related problems: Gordon Duvall, Earl Shoemaker, Tom Helmke, Bruce Barrett, Reyes Ponce, George Arthur; Eugene Lydon, and William Hanlon. The purpose of this meeting was to ascertain whether their participation was related to case officer generated materials or bona fide operations.

3. There appeared to be two plans involving Fidel Castro and an incident that may have been related to Raul Castro.

The plans involving Fidel, to the knowledge of our people, were:

(i) A folder, stored in the Photo Interpretation area at JMWAVE contained materials relating to a plan to assassinate Castro in the Bay of Pigs resort area where he maintained a yacht and was known to vacation. The plan, possibly with the codeword : PATHFINDER, apparently had been disapproved and was not under active consideration at the time. Our people did not participate actively in the plan in any regard.

(ii) While assigned to the Imagery Analysis Service, a, number of our photo interpreters supported Carl Jenkins of the DD/P concerning a plan to assassinate Castro at the DuPont Varadero Beach Estate, east of Havana. Castro was known to frequent the estate and the plan was to use a high-powered rifle in the attempt. The photo interpretation support was restricted to providing annotated photographs and line drawings of the estate. To our knowledge, this plan also was never implemented.

4. The incident involving Raul Castro was not a formalized plan. It considered of a paramilitary raid on Santiago de Cuba harbor. There was a rumor at JMWAVE that, while exiting the harbor, Raul Castro's home had been fired upon by a paramilitary case officer named "Rip" Robertson.

5. To the best of my knowledge, these facts represent the totality of any participation by our personnel in these matters. We have no further knowledge that the Fidel Castro operation ever advanced beyond the planning stage.

This is what Gene Wheaton said in his letter to the Assassinations Records Review Board (15th February, 1995):

I am faxing you one page of a CV prepared by a retired CIA officer who was a very close friend of mine in the mid-1980s. Our friendship was so close that I kept a bedroom in his home in Adington, Va, socialized with him and his wife (a high-level active CIA officer) and was virtually with them 24 hours a day.

Through him I met many of the Bay of Pigs veterans, both Cuban and American. We had many intimate discussions about covert operations, Kennedy assassination, etc.

He was totally in charge of infiltrating sabotage and assassination teams into Cuba from 1960 onward (see * on his bio).

I had discussions with him and one of his key Cuban agents about obtaining immunity for them if they would come forward about their knowledge of involvement in the Kennedy assassination plots. This man's programs included JMWAVE, Mongoose, ZR-RIFLE, among others, operating out of the Miami Station.

If you think I can help, we will have to meet. Dr. Tunheim has my bio. If you need another copy please let me know.

Note: The USMC Reserve Unit that my associate established was in the New Orleans area to act as a cover for CIA Latin-American Operations.

I have blanked out his I.D. until we can meet to discuss this further.

This is the report that Anne Buttimer, Chief Investigator for the Assassination Records Review Board, wrote after meeting Gene Wheaton on 11th July, 1995 (dated 12th July, 1995)

Wheaton began by telling me he would only give me limited information over the telephone although he was willing to meet me face to face to provide as much information as he had. He said he had no physical proof of what he would eventually tell the Board; however he said he does have a number of documents which he will need to show me in order for me to believe what he has to say.

By way of providing background on himself Wheaton explained he is a 59 year old retired miliatry intelligence officer. He works as a consultant investigating terrorist attacks around the world and said he expects his telephone will ring in the next few days with an offer to work on the Oklahoma City federal building bombing. He said if this happens he will also probably be called to Washington DC and would meet with me here. If he does not he would still agree to meet with us but would have to do so on the West Coast. He lives in Riverside County, California near Palm Springs.

Wheaton told me that from 1984 to 1987 he spent a lot of time in the Washington DC area and that starting in 1985 he was "recruited into Ollie North's network" by the CIA officer he has information about. He got to know this man and his wife, a "'super grade high level CIA officer" and kept a bedroom in their Virginia home. His friend was a Marine Corps liason in New Orleans and was the CIA contact with Carlos Marcello. He had been responsible for "running people into Cuba before the Bay of Pigs." His friend is now 68 or 69 years of age.

Over the course of a year or a year and one-half his friend told him about his activities with training Cuban insurgency groups. Wheaton said he also got to know many of the Cubans who had been his friend's soldiers/operatives when the Cubans visited in Virginia from their homes in Miami. His friend and the Cubans confirmed to Wheaton they assassinated JFK. Wheaton's friend said he trained the Cubans who pulled the triggers. Wheaton said the street level Cubans felt JFK was a traitor after the Bay of Pigs and wanted to kill him. People "above the Cubans" wanted JFK killed for other reasons.

Wheaton said we must look at his friend and his associates in order to know what really happened to JFK. One of those associates was I. Irving Davidson who was/is "the bag man for the intelligence community." Davidson runs a group called the Timber Center which handles payoffs and payments for the CIA, the NSA and the Pentagon. He is a friend of Jack Anderson's and was indicted with Carlos Marcello in the 1980's on a Teamster's kick-back charge. Davidson is a non-practicing attorney in Washington D.C. He is now about 70 years old.

Wheaton said he would speak to the Board confidentially but would not allow his name to be used publicly because his friend and the friend's associates "said they would destroy me int he media witha blitz of disinformation to destroy my professional reputation. They will make me out to be a conspiracy nut. I'm not afraid of them, I've been a cop too long and besides, they only kill the people on the inner circle. The rest of us end up having our reputations destroyed."

Wheaton concluded by saying "this matter is not complex but it is convoluted. I need to show you the paper trail to show the contacts of these people."

Gene Wheaton, note to the Assassinations Records Review Board on National Air notepaper (undated)

Carl (Jenkins) was my (National Air) Washington, D.C. rep. who connected me to Nestor Pino, Bill Bode, Rob Owen, Vaughn Forrest, Chi Chi Quintero, Nestor Sanchez, et al. I was V.P. of National Air in 1985-86 (see my Bio).

Gene Wheaton tried really hard to get his story out. However, it is clear that the ARRB managed to cover-up the involvement of Carl Jenkins in the assassination of JFK. After three years with nothing happening, Wheaton wrote to the ARRB again.

Gene Wheaton, letter to the Assassination Records Review Board (31st March, 1998)

Ref the attached letters from your former Chief Investigator Anne Buttimer, Edq dated 16 May 95, and 12 July 1995. Ms Buttimer and I had several contacts by phone/fax as well as the meeting on 11 July 95, in the Washington, D.C. area.

At the July meeting I furnished her with rather sensitive documents, photos, and information related to the CIA covert connections to Cuba, Florida, Louisiana, Texas and Mexico during the months and years prior to, and after, the assassination in Dallas.

During and after the July 95 meeting Ms. Buttimer stated she wanted to follow-up and expand on the data I provided.

However, she shortly thereafter appears to have suddenly departed from the Board. I have never heard from her again, and no subsequent Board investigator has contacted me. The only thing I receive are the periodic news releases.

I would appreciate it if you would advise me as to any action, research, or follow-up inquiry re the data I provided. I would also request you have Ms. Buttimer contact me, or provide a means for me to contact her.

This is the reply that Weaton eventually got from the ARRB:

Letter from Eileen A. Sullivan, Press and Public Affairs Officer, Assassination Records Review Board, to Gene Wheaton (20th April, 1998)

Thank you for your March 31,1998 letter. Over the years we have received thousands of leads and suggestions regarding the existence and location of records related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

We appreciate that you furnished Ms. Buttimer with materials related to the CIA, Cuba, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, and Mexico City. These are all areas we have explored extensively. Please be assured that all leads are carefully reviewed and always helpful to our efforts. However, due to limited resources, it would be virtually impossible to link any records that have been released as being opened as a result of materials provided by a particular individual.

Our mandate is to be completed on September 30, 1998, and I hope that you understand our priority is to release the remaining records that relate to the assassination. But please know that your contributions to our efforts are appreciated.

Again, thank you for writing. I hope this information is helpful to you.

It might be worth summarizing what we know about Wheaton and Jenkins. It is important to discuss what Wheaton’s motive might have been in 1986, 1995 and 2005 in attempting to expose the illegal activities of the CIA.

It is important to stress that in 1986 both Gene Wheaton and Carl Jenkins told Daniel Sheehan about the CIA political assassination squad. They also provided information about other CIA illegal activities concerning Edwin Wilson and the Iran-Contra operation. It is now clear that they told the truth about the last two scandals. The first story is more problematic. Some aspects are true. For example, the existence of a CIA trained assassination team made up of anti-Castro Cubans. However, we now know that in the 1986 story, Carl Jenkins was not named as someone who was involved with this assassination team. However, Jenkins was named in the 1995 and 2005 stories.

It was claimed in 1986 that the reason why Wheaton and Jenkins were coming forward with this information about Ted Shackley, Tom Clines, Edwin Wilson, Richard Secord, etc. was because they had been cut out of these lucrative arms deals. I think this is definitely true of Jenkins. However, Wheaton is a more complicated case. Unlike Jenkins, who later denied he had given this information to Daniel Sheehan, Wheaton was willing to provide his evidence in court (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, March 1-3 and 7-8, 1988).

In 1995 Wheaton once again tried to get this story out about the CIA assassination team. This time he added that this team was turned against JFK. He also adds that it was Carl Jenkins who was really in charge of this project. He also adds the names of possible members of the assassination team. This included Nestor Pino, Chi Chi Quintero and Nestor Sanchez. Jenkins is also named as the CIA’s contact with Carlos Marcello.

Wheaton makes no attempt to make money out of this information. Instead of going to the media he contacts the Assassination Records Review Board. They don’t seem interested and Wheaton contacts them again in 1998. He is then given the final brush off. He still makes no attempt to obtain money for this story. In fact, the story is left to rest until William Law and Mark Sobel approach him in 2005 about giving an interview concerning documents they had found at the ARRB.

What is Wheaton’s motivation? Has Jenkins done something to upset him? Probably. He is definitely upset by Jenkins’ decision to divorce his wife. But this is unlikely to be a reason to make up stories about him being involved in the assassination of JFK. We have seen people gaining revenge on old enemies by telling stories about them after they have died. However, Jenkins is very much alive. So is Chi Chi Quintero, who is also named during the interview as being involved in the plot against JFK.

Watching the filmed interview I was convinced that Wheaton was telling the truth as he knew it. As far as I am concerned, the only issue is whether Jenkins and Quintero lied to Wheaton about their involvement in the JFK assassination.

What then is Wheaton’s motivation? I believe the clue to this mystery is that in the 1970s he worked as a history teacher. Like most history teachers, he cares about what appears in the history books. He thinks he knows who killed JFK and why and he wants that to be recorded for posterity. I don't think this is too hard to understand. I suppose the real question to ask is, if he is telling the truth, his life is being put at risk. The best protection he can receive is for this story, once told, to be put into the public domain. We all know what happened to people like Bill Hunter, Jim Koethe and Dorothy Kilgallen, who waited too long to publish the information they had on the JFK assassination.

Well I had read those names but if he named them to Buttimer why did she not put them in her report.

How do we know Wheaton was talking about Jenkins and Quintero here? I don't say this for sure but Wheaton may be a xxxx. And liars change their stories as circumstances change. I noted that the Buttimer report says "the Cubans" plural. Quintero is only one guy. So who were the others?

You really need to look at all the documents, including those provided about AMWORLD in Lamar Waldron’s book, and the filmed interview that Wheaton gave to William Law to fully understand how the evidence is building to show that Carl Jenkins and Chi Chi Quintero were involved in the assassination of JFK.

The reason that Buttimer did not name Jenkins was because Wheaton asked her not to do this. Jenkins was identified by Wheaton because he sent the ARRB his CV (I have a copy of this CV). This CV clearly identified Jenkins. The other document that is important is the following:

Gene Wheaton, note to the Assassination Records Review Board on National Air notepaper (undated):

Carl (Jenkins) was my (National Air) Washington, D.C. rep. who connected me to Nestor Pino, Bill Bode, Rob Owen, Vaughn Forrest, Chi Chi Quintero, Nestor Sanchez, et al.”

In the filmed interview Wheaton pointed out that it was Carl Jenkins he was talking about. He also added the name of Chi Chi Quintero as being one of the “assassination team”. The other gunmen came from the Operation 40 team.

I can see why you are getting very emotional about this issue. People like Rob Owen are linked very closely to George H. W. Bush. I have also discovered other information that links Bush to this CIA team of assassins that killed JFK (I will be posting this later today under the heading "Ted Shackley and the Secret Team").

Carl Jenkins and Chi Chi Quintero are both alive. They are both aware of my web pages on them (the pages are both ranked number one on most of the search-engines). On these pages I have provided the evidence that I have accumulated against them. Through an intermediary I have sent them a list of questions concerning Gene Wheaton’s allegations. They have responded with “no comment”. I think that says a great deal. Compare it to the way you reacted when it was suggested that you might have been linked to the attempted assassination of George Wallace.

You might be interested in seeing a photocopy of Carl Jenkin's passport.

There's a resemblance to Rip's friend at Main and Houston.

ripandfriend.jpg

There's a resemblance to Rip's friend at Main and Houston.

The Jenkins passsport appears to be from 83. Rip's "friend" appears to be too old to have been Jenkins in 63, IMO.

Edited by Pat Speer

1. The ARRB leaked like a damned sieve while in existence. The very idea that they didn't have favorite or trusted researchers to give information to is absurd. Of course they did. If they spoke to someone about Jenkins, I just don't know yet. We're trying to find out.

2. Larry Hancock and William Law have published books giving important and vital information in the ongoing case of the JFK assassination. I write this to set them both apart from authors who hoard information for books that take decades to write and publish. I know personally researchers that have hurt this case because they are withholding information. I trust Larry and William to do the right thing with what they find. You should too.

Sincerely,

Debra

In a different thread, Dawn wrote:

Tim: Why do you have serious doubts about Wheaton's story? Because it does not fit your Castro theory? Because the truth hits too hard to home, if this is the truth?

Dawn, glad you asked the question. No idea however what you mean about "the truth hits too hard to hone", however.

First, Wheaton's story has Jenkins and several Cubans confessing to him their involvement in the JFK asssassination. Must of been like a big confessional. According to Wheaton, Jenkins was fairly high-up the food chain. Why on God's green earth would this guy confess to Wheaton? Let us assume you and I are friends. Do you think I'm going to confess to you that ten years earlier I murdered a man and got away with it? Even if you were my very best friend and I was sure you would not "rat on me", don't you think it reasonable that I would be concerned that the revelation that I was a murderer might strain our friendship?

As you know, intelligence operations are run on a very tight, compartmentalized "need to know" basis. Intelligence operatives are trained, of course, to keep their mouths shut after the operation is over. Now I could see that one of the Cuban shooters might have talked too much (over drinks perhaps) but not as trained and experienced a CIA officer as Jenkins.

Second, as has been pointed out, "Ultimate Sacrifice" indicates that Jenkins was high up the command chain for AMWORLD. Also according to "Ultimate Sacrifice" the AMWORLD operation was going to occur in early December (I think the book even sets Dec 1 as "C-Day"). If Jenkins was dedicated to regime change in Cuba, and he knew the Kennedy Administration was ready to topple Castro on December 1, does it make any sense at all that he would participate in a plot to kill Kennedy (unless he was secretly allied with Castro and I highly doubt that). The assassination of the President would obviously delay the execution of AMWORLD if not cause its abandonment (as it did).

If "Ultimate Sacrifice" is true, then I suspect Wheaton is a xxxx. Remember, when he told the AARB about Jenkins, he was not aware of AMWORLD. I don't think anyone has raised this point but I think it a good one: why would Jenkins disclose to Wheaton the plot to kill Kennedy but not tell Wheaton about AMWORLD, a story almost as exclusive?

AMWORLD exposes Wheaton's lie, IMO.

Third, if I recall right, Jenkins objected to some of the financial shenanigans in Iran/Contra. If I am recalling this correctly, he hardly seems the type to participate in a plot to kill the President.

Fourth, why would Wheaton delay exposing Jenkins for so long? Then, when it became apparent to Wheaton that AARB was not going to do anything with his story, why would Wheaton not take it to other authorities?

All that being said, I reiterate my earlier point that Wheaton's story, regardless of how implausible it may seem, ought to be investigated--not just written about on the Forum and in books. And that his story might well be a sufficient opening to launch a new grand jury investigation. (If Wheaton under oath denies his story I think he should be hung out too dry for leading good people down a proverbial primrose path.)

Finally, if I am wrong and Jenkins is guilty (and so convicted in court) I'd pay to the State of Texas one year's salary to be an active participant in his execution.

Edited by Tim Gratz

[...] if I recall right, Jenkins objected to some of the financial shenanigans in Iran/Contra. If I am recalling this correctly, he hardly seems the type to participate in a plot to kill the President.

?!!!??

Please elaborate on this point (and this point only), Mr. Gratz. Are you actually suggesting that Jenkins was too ethical/moral to "...participate in a plot to kill the President"?

FWIW, Thomas