The Education Forum

Raphael (Chi Chi) Quintero

John Simkin

In an interview with William Law and Mark Sobel in 2005, Gene Wheaton claimed that Raphael Quintero and Carl Jenkins were both involved in the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

I have created a web page on Quintero. I would be grateful if members post any information they have on him.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKquintero.htm

In my opinion Quintero makes a good candidate. He was a member of the Recovery of the Revolution (MRR Party). Its two leading members, Manuel Artime and Tony Varona, have both been closely identified with the assassination of JFK.

In 1976 Quintero was recruited by CIA agent, Edwin Wilson, to assassinating Libyan dissident in Egypt. This suggests that Quintero had previous experience of killing people for political reasons. Apparently, he was suggested for the job by Tom Clines, who had worked under Ted Shackley at the JM/WAVE station in Florida. It is believed that in the early 1960s Quintero carried out assignments for David Morales while he was chief operating officer at JM/WAVE.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an interview with William Law and Mark Sobel in 2005, Gene Wheaton claimed that Raphael Quintero and Carl Jenkins were both involved in the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

I have created a web page on Quintero. I would be grateful if members post any information they have on him.

Just some info I didn't find on your page.

North took bold steps in late June 1985 to solve the problems he perceived with contra weapons procurement, while laying the foundation for a system that could supply both the northern and southern fronts. North convened a meeting on June 28, 1985, in Miami with Secord; Thomas Clines, a former CIA officer who by then was acting as Secord's overseas arms buyer; Raphael Quintero, another former CIA officer who had been acting as Secord's ``man on the scene'' in Honduras, El Salvador, and Costa Rica; Calero; and contra military commander Enrique Bermudez. The men met through the night, during which North announced that he would suspend his cash payments to Calero: Henceforth, Secord would arrange for all weapons purchases and deliveries. North also stressed to Calero and Bermudez, whose ties were closest to contra forces in the north, that they had to work with him and Secord -- including sharing precious supplies -- to build a viable southern front.

George

Just some info I didn't find on your page.

North took bold steps in late June 1985 to solve the problems he perceived with contra weapons procurement, while laying the foundation for a system that could supply both the northern and southern fronts. North convened a meeting on June 28, 1985, in Miami with Secord; Thomas Clines, a former CIA officer who by then was acting as Secord's overseas arms buyer; Raphael Quintero, another former CIA officer who had been acting as Secord's ``man on the scene'' in Honduras, El Salvador, and Costa Rica; Calero; and contra military commander Enrique Bermudez. The men met through the night, during which North announced that he would suspend his cash payments to Calero: Henceforth, Secord would arrange for all weapons purchases and deliveries. North also stressed to Calero and Bermudez, whose ties were closest to contra forces in the north, that they had to work with him and Secord -- including sharing precious supplies -- to build a viable southern front.

Thanks for that. Interesting that he was Secord's "man on the scene'' in Honduras, El Salvador, and Costa Rica. I will add it to the page. Did it come from a quote from a book?

Thanks for that. Interesting that he was Secord's "man on the scene'' in Honduras, El Salvador, and Costa Rica. I will add it to the page. Did it come from a quote from a book?

John,

found it on one of the pages I saved concerning Ollie North, its within the first quarter of the page

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/part_i.htm

FWIW

George

Edited by George Bollschweiler

Rafael "Chi Chi" Quintero, CIA veteran, once said that if he were granted immunity and compelled to testify about past actions, it would be the biggest scandal ever to hit the United States. An explosives expert and sniper, Quintero got his early training as a member of the CIA's Operation 40 Assassination Unit, also called the "shooter team". This elite group, born of secret collaboration between agents of the CIA, the Mafia, and Richard Nixon, was formed to assassinate Fidel and Raul Castro and Che Guevara. Led for many years by E. Howard Hunt, the shooter team was part of an advance unit that was left stranded in Cuba after the failed Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961. Quintero escaped from Cuba and returned to Miami, where he began working under then CIA agent Thomas Clines. This work included engaging in CIA covert operations in Southeast Asia, Iran, and Central America.

http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com...hi_Chi_Quintero

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/chris.holt/h...a.cards/23.html

John,

I think we have to be very careful in characterising what Wheaton said in that interview. A careful review of the interview, and I think William and Mark would agree with me, leaves *open* the question of whether or not Quintero was directly involved or whether or not he and Jenkins simply *knew* those people who were. Indeed, my suspicion is that if either or both men had direct involvement, that Wheaton wouldn't be alive: it wouldn't be a simple 2-3 day choice over whether or not they wanted to tell what they knew to the Senate. My hope is that Quintero or others might one day offer what they know about the issue; if they he not have direct involvement, accusing him of such would likely hinder our efforts in that regard.

-Stu

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKquintero.htm

In my opinion Quintero makes a good candidate. He was a member of the Recovery of the Revolution (MRR Party). Its two leading members, Manuel Artime and Tony Varona, have both been closely identified with the assassination of JFK.

In 1976 Quintero was recruited by CIA agent, Edwin Wilson, to assassinating Libyan dissident in Egypt. This suggests that Quintero had previous experience of killing people for political reasons. Apparently, he was suggested for the job by Tom Clines, who had worked under Ted Shackley at the JM/WAVE station in Florida. It is believed that in the early 1960s Quintero carried out assignments for David Morales while he was chief operating officer at JM/WAVE.

John,

I think we have to be very careful in characterising what Wheaton said in that interview. A careful review of the interview, and I think William and Mark would agree with me, leaves *open* the question of whether or not Quintero was directly involved or whether or not he and Jenkins simply *knew* those people who were. Indeed, my suspicion is that if either or both men had direct involvement, that Wheaton wouldn't be alive: it wouldn't be a simple 2-3 day choice over whether or not they wanted to tell what they knew to the Senate. My hope is that Quintero or others might one day offer what they know about the issue; if they he not have direct involvement, accusing him of such would likely hinder our efforts in that regard.

Could you post the relevant comments of the transcript when he mentions the JFK assassination? It is possible that Wheaton was only saying the same thing that he (Source 48) told Daniel Sheehan in December 1986. Apparently Carl Jenkins (Source 49) told Sheehan the same story but later he denied this.

In 1986 Wheaton and Jenkins bore a grudge against Shackley, Quintero, Clines and Secord (they had been cut-out of the Iran-Contra deal). It would be interesting to discover if Wheaton has a motive for his current comments.

Thanx Tosh. As always, fascinating. Now let's see GH come back and say these are "phony" documents!!

Belated "happy birthday", by the way. I sure missed our buddy J this past 11/8 on his. Still hard to believe- (accept)- that he's really gone. J would always call on my birthday and say "let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday" and when I'd tell him my daughter, or sister had already called first he'd say "I'm talking about NEXT year". His wit lasted down to the very end.

Dawn

John: Just a note from memory: I too, was under Clines operations at one time and met with Wilson in Denver many times in the early eighties. I worked UC OPs MX for a brief time and was associated with KIKI and Shaggy.

Susan Baldwin and Hector Gomez(?) two DEA agents and investigators of the time reported in a classified Secret memo on a ranch in MX that belong to Quintero. As a side bar it is interesting because it referes to the "CIA Thing" of weapons for the Contra. Wheaton knows about this. Its interesting reading.. pdf/DEAfiles.pdf]http://www.toshplumlee.info/pdf/DEAfiles.pdf

Rafael "Chi Chi" Quintero, CIA veteran, once said that if he were granted immunity and compelled to testify about past actions, it would be the biggest scandal ever to hit the United States. An explosives expert and sniper, Quintero got his early training as a member of the CIA's Operation 40 Assassination Unit, also called the "shooter team". This elite group, born of secret collaboration between agents of the CIA, the Mafia, and Richard Nixon, was formed to assassinate Fidel and Raul Castro and Che Guevara. Led for many years by E. Howard Hunt, the shooter team was part of an advance unit that was left stranded in Cuba after the failed Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961. Quintero escaped from Cuba and returned to Miami, where he began working under then CIA agent Thomas Clines. This work included engaging in CIA covert operations in Southeast Asia, Iran, and Central America.

http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com...hi_Chi_Quintero

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/chris.holt/h...a.cards/23.html

John: Just a note from memory: I too, was under Clines operations at one time and met with Wilson in Denver many times in the early eighties. I worked UC OPs MX for a brief time and was associated with KIKI and Shaggy.

Susan Baldwin and Hector Gomez(?) two DEA agents and investigators of the time reported in a classified Secret memo on a ranch in MX that belong to Quintero. As a side bar it is interesting because it referes to the "CIA Thing" of weapons for the Contra. Wheaton knows about this. Its interesting reading.. http://www.toshplumlee.info/pdf/DEAfiles.pdf

In the early eigties, the northern front through association with Adolfo Calero was not going well so Fernandez utilized Chi Chi to work through Enrique and supply a route of passage for American Military Personnel through the southern front to go operational and do the deeds. It was very effective for a short time and relied on Hull to provide a staging ground beyond his narcotics trafficing operation. This was the groundwork for FRANg33. This was how it became so bloody in '81. Jack and Jill Didn't Come Home. Very few are left to tell the story and even fewer are willing.

Al

Rafael "Chi Chi" Quintero, CIA veteran, once said that if he were granted immunity and compelled to testify about past actions, it would be the biggest scandal ever to hit the United States. An explosives expert and sniper, Quintero got his early training as a member of the CIA's Operation 40 Assassination Unit, also called the "shooter team".
Susan Baldwin and Hector Gomez(?) two DEA agents and investigators of the time reported in a classified Secret memo on a ranch in MX that belong to Quintero. As a side bar it is interesting because it referes to the "CIA Thing" of weapons for the Contra. Wheaton knows about this. Its interesting reading..
It was very effective for a short time and relied on Hull to provide a staging ground beyond his narcotics trafficing operation. This was the groundwork for FRANg33. This was how it became so bloody in '81. Jack and Jill Didn't Come Home. Very few are left to tell the story and even fewer are willing.

I believe this picks up where the following left off almost a year ago, when Tosh went on the wagon of internet posting; but now that he's fallen off....

Tosh, I think it is time to take this a step further.... Elements of indigenous personnel were to be utilized for access to targets and for blame of operational success and failure as a hands-on participant, when they were not. Organized crime would be utilized for financing and money laundering of such operations and could also be utilized to blame for such operations. What does this have to do with the Kennedy Assassination of 18 years earlier, it is to put it into perspective with the evidence that is surfacing and the connections those are making to link non-American Personnel to the hands-on operation in DP.
When I attended these "familiarization" programs or (Covert Action Training Programs, CATP) that the manual was written from, I found Cubans, Iran, Tibet, and ? V.C. in those training classes, as well as personal from Angola.... Some of these military specialized operatives with their secret MOS's of the 1979-81 era, were from Iran and Afghan and Central America, and Egypt. Two Latin Americans from Eden Pastroa's small group, before Pastroa took command as Captain Zero, were engaged in the SOA Benning sniper school as well as a few of the "Mosquito Indians" of northern Nicaragua. This was one of the first test units formed. The training book was being written at that time. This type of training was being conducted very hush-hush and did not follow any of the 'OLD' manuals that had previously been written. (1953-54) This 'testing' school threw away all the old manual material and started all over. In some ways this was the start of training a secret army to operate independent specialized CIA projects off the books. Should we bring it up another notch?
Tosh, We probably shouldn't, but what the hell! Maybe it is time! You opened the door when you brought out Tofoya so it is too late to close it. A man who had a great deal of control of SOA in that period and a strong backer of the likes of Sandavol-Alarcon'.... The term "reliance on others is not an acceptable risk" is gospel in this type of operation. When the operation ran it's course, the Black Widow policy would show it's ugly head often and would be utilized to maintain security of the operation. "Jack and Jill never made it home".... The US operational sniper school of this period was ran out of Marathon for final testing with basic and advance instruction leading to this at Bragg and Benning.

Have I went too far?

Al

T.C.

"......John: Just a note from memory: I too, was under Clines operations at one time and met with Wilson in Denver many times in the early eighties. I worked UC OPs MX for a brief time and was associated with KIKI and Shaggy.

Susan Baldwin and Hector Gomez(?) two DEA agents and investigators of the time reported in a classified Secret memo on a ranch in MX that belong to Quintero. As a side bar it is interesting because it referes to the "CIA Thing" of weapons for the Contra. Wheaton knows about this. Its interesting reading...." http://www.toshplumlee.info/pdf/DEAfiles.pdf

----------------------------------

Larry Barcella, who I worked with on the "Letelier Assassination Case" (1977) -- lured Ed Wilson to the Dominican Republic during mid-1982. Barcella, after leaving his job as Asst. U.S. Attorney (Wash. DC); was hired by the Antigua government to get Israeli Mossad agent Mike Harari. Harari had imported a few thousand AK-47s into Colombia, and delivered them to the "Right-Wing Death Squads" [A.U.C.]

Wilson was in continuous custody [bailed denied] since 1982, and remains so today !!

So there is NO WAY that he was running around during the "Contra" business !!

Chairs,

GPH

[www.ericmargolis.com/archives/2003/11/edwin_wilson_am.php]

Archives -- November 10, 2003

EDWIN WILSON: AMERICA'S MAN IN THE IRON MASK

by Eric Margolis

NEW YOK - The shocking case of former CIA officer Edwin P. Wilson recalls the words of the great American thinker, H.L.Mencken: ‘Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.’

The Wilson case has outraged me for 20 years. In 1982, the federal court in northern Virginia ’ the same hang-em high, Soviet-style court the Feds now use to try terrorism cases ’ sentenced Wilson to 10 years in prison for selling 22 tons of explosive to Libya. He was also convicted on shaky charges of attempted murder and sentenced to another 15 years. Wilson, now 75 years old, has served 20 years in maximum security prison.

I always believed Wilson innocent and spoke to him many times in prison. ‘I was framed by the government,’ Wilson told me, ‘they want me to disappear. I know too much. ’ His words shake me to this day. ‘They buried him alive in prison,’ a former CIA official confided to me.

Last week, Federal District Judge Lynn Hughes in Houston, Texas, threw out Wilson’s two-decades old conviction. Judge Hughes wrote: ‘government knowingly used false evidence against him,’ concluding ‘honesty comes hard to government.’

Wilson was no angel. The veteran, tough as nails CIA field agent specialized in running arms and mounting coups. He was one of the agency’s old-time ‘cowboys.’ In 1971, Wilson officially ‘retired’ from CIA and went into business on his own. In reality, CIA used Wilson for potentially explosive clandestine deals it wanted to keep ‘deniable.’

I first heard of Wilson and partner, Frank Terpil, while covering the Angolan War between Soviet and Cuban-backed Marxist forces and Jonas Savimbi’s anti-communist UNITA guerilla army. UNITA was secretly armed by South Africa and the US, but Washington did not want to be seen as an ally of the apartheid regime. So CIA used Wilson and Tirpil to channel arms to Savimbi, using CIA-front firms and banks in Asia and Europe.

In the late 1970’s, CIA sent Wilson and Terpil to Libya to covertly strengthen the regime of Muammar Khadaffi. Washington planned to use the fiery Libyan leader as its strongman in North Africa, just as it was using longtime CIA ‘asset’ Anwar Sadat in Egypt.

Wilson sold Libya C-4 explosives and arms, and sent teams of ex-Green Berets to train Libyan commandos and ‘terminate’ some of Libya’s many enemies abroad. The explosives, Wilson has always maintained, were for Libya’s oil industry.

But while CIA was backing Khadaffi, the new Reagan Administration sought to distance itself from the soft policies of the Carter Administration by denouncing Muammar Khadaffi as the world’s leading terrorist and a threat to America.

CIA was ordered to overthrow Khadaffi, putting the agency in a frightfully embarrassing dilemma. Bureaucratic panic erupted at Langley. The Libyan operation was ordered immediately shut down and all records destroyed.

As word of secret US backing of Khadaffi leaked out, Wilson and Terpil were cut adrift and proclaimed outlaws. They fled to the Mideast. In 1982 Wilson was lured by American agents to the Dominican Republic, kidnapped to the USA, and charged with gun-running.

During numerous trials, Wilson maintained he had been working for CIA. He was not allowed to cross-examine CIA witnesses for ‘security reasons’ - shades of today’s terrorism trials.

The third-ranking CIA official provided a false affidavit to Justice Department prosecutors that the agency ‘had no knowledge of Edwin P. Wilson.’ This was a lie, a fact discovered by Wilson’s tenacious lawyer, David Adler, by poring through 300,000 documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. A lie prosecutors were aware of, found Judge Hughes, who said the jury would have acquitted Wilson had government told the truth.

In the early 1980’s, an old friend, Ed G, an Iranian-born American accountant with no intelligence experience, was convinced by CIA it was his ‘patriotic duty’ to go to Iran and build a new agent network in Tehran to replace the previous one rolled up by the Islamic revolution.

After three years of amateurish spying, Ed’s cover was blown. He fled for his life. On returning to the US, Ed called his CIA controller and was told, ‘there is no one here by that name, and we have no record of you.’ Another disaster was simply erased by throwing agents to the wolves. Penniless, Ed was reduced to begging money from friends and finally working as a shoe salesman. Compared to Wilson, he was lucky.

It is terrifying to see government’s massive weight crush an innocent man. Wilson became America’s ‘Man in the Iron Mask.’ Judge Hughes called the case ‘double-crossing a part-time, informal government agent.’ She aptly used the term ‘framed’ to qualify this disgusting legal outrage. High Justice Department officials involved in this crime are today serving judges. They, and the retired CIA official, should be prosecuted.

The Wilson case should remind us of all the US Justice Department’s recent and ongoing ‘terrorism’ prosecutions, where individuals, mostly foreign-born, poor, and uneducated ’ many of them Pakistanis - have had the book thrown at them and are threatened with life terms if they do not confess to crimes. While truth is the first victim of nationalist hysteria, justice is always the second.

In spite of Judge Hughes’ ruling, The government refuses to release Wilson and is now considering an appeal. Shame.

Posted by Eric Margolis on November 10, 2003 11:50 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx Tosh. As always, fascinating. Now let's see GH come back and say these are "phony" documents!!

Belated "happy birthday", by the way. I sure missed our buddy J this past 11/8 on his. Still hard to believe- (accept)- that he's really gone. J would always call on my birthday and say "let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday" and when I'd tell him my daughter, or sister had already called first he'd say "I'm talking about NEXT year". His wit lasted down to the very end.

Dawn

Susan Baldwin and Hector Gomez(?) two DEA agents and investigators of the time reported in a classified Secret memo on a ranch in MX that belong to Quintero. As a side bar it is interesting because it referes to the "CIA Thing" of weapons for the Contra. Wheaton knows about this. Its interesting reading.. pdf/DEAfiles.pdf]http://www.toshplumlee.info/pdf/DEAfiles.pdf

----------------------------------

Larry Barcella, who I worked with on the "Letelier Assassination Case" (1977) -- lured Ed Wilson to the Dominican Republic during mid-1982. Barcella, after leaving his job as Asst. U.S. Attorney (Wash. DC); was hired by the Antigua government to get Israeli Mossad agent Mike Harari. Harari had imported a few thousand AK-47s into Colombia, and delivered them to the "Right-Wing Death Squads" [A.U.C.]

Wilson was in continuous custody [bailed denied] since 1982, and remains so today !!

So there is NO WAY that he was running around during the "Contra" business !!

Chairs,

GPH

[www.ericmargolis.com/archives/2003/11/edwin_wilson_am.php]

Archives -- November 10, 2003

EDWIN WILSON: AMERICA'S MAN IN THE IRON MASK

by Eric Margolis

NEW YOK - The shocking case of former CIA officer Edwin P. Wilson recalls the words of the great American thinker, H.L.Mencken: ‘Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.’

The Wilson case has outraged me for 20 years. In 1982, the federal court in northern Virginia ’ the same hang-em high, Soviet-style court the Feds now use to try terrorism cases ’ sentenced Wilson to 10 years in prison for selling 22 tons of explosive to Libya. He was also convicted on shaky charges of attempted murder and sentenced to another 15 years. Wilson, now 75 years old, has served 20 years in maximum security prison.

I always believed Wilson innocent and spoke to him many times in prison. ‘I was framed by the government,’ Wilson told me, ‘they want me to disappear. I know too much. ’ His words shake me to this day. ‘They buried him alive in prison,’ a former CIA official confided to me.

Last week, Federal District Judge Lynn Hughes in Houston, Texas, threw out Wilson’s two-decades old conviction. Judge Hughes wrote: ‘government knowingly used false evidence against him,’ concluding ‘honesty comes hard to government.’

Wilson was no angel. The veteran, tough as nails CIA field agent specialized in running arms and mounting coups. He was one of the agency’s old-time ‘cowboys.’ In 1971, Wilson officially ‘retired’ from CIA and went into business on his own. In reality, CIA used Wilson for potentially explosive clandestine deals it wanted to keep ‘deniable.’

I first heard of Wilson and partner, Frank Terpil, while covering the Angolan War between Soviet and Cuban-backed Marxist forces and Jonas Savimbi’s anti-communist UNITA guerilla army. UNITA was secretly armed by South Africa and the US, but Washington did not want to be seen as an ally of the apartheid regime. So CIA used Wilson and Tirpil to channel arms to Savimbi, using CIA-front firms and banks in Asia and Europe.

In the late 1970’s, CIA sent Wilson and Terpil to Libya to covertly strengthen the regime of Muammar Khadaffi. Washington planned to use the fiery Libyan leader as its strongman in North Africa, just as it was using longtime CIA ‘asset’ Anwar Sadat in Egypt.

Wilson sold Libya C-4 explosives and arms, and sent teams of ex-Green Berets to train Libyan commandos and ‘terminate’ some of Libya’s many enemies abroad. The explosives, Wilson has always maintained, were for Libya’s oil industry.

But while CIA was backing Khadaffi, the new Reagan Administration sought to distance itself from the soft policies of the Carter Administration by denouncing Muammar Khadaffi as the world’s leading terrorist and a threat to America.

CIA was ordered to overthrow Khadaffi, putting the agency in a frightfully embarrassing dilemma. Bureaucratic panic erupted at Langley. The Libyan operation was ordered immediately shut down and all records destroyed.

As word of secret US backing of Khadaffi leaked out, Wilson and Terpil were cut adrift and proclaimed outlaws. They fled to the Mideast. In 1982 Wilson was lured by American agents to the Dominican Republic, kidnapped to the USA, and charged with gun-running.

During numerous trials, Wilson maintained he had been working for CIA. He was not allowed to cross-examine CIA witnesses for ‘security reasons’ - shades of today’s terrorism trials.

The third-ranking CIA official provided a false affidavit to Justice Department prosecutors that the agency ‘had no knowledge of Edwin P. Wilson.’ This was a lie, a fact discovered by Wilson’s tenacious lawyer, David Adler, by poring through 300,000 documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. A lie prosecutors were aware of, found Judge Hughes, who said the jury would have acquitted Wilson had government told the truth.

In the early 1980’s, an old friend, Ed G, an Iranian-born American accountant with no intelligence experience, was convinced by CIA it was his ‘patriotic duty’ to go to Iran and build a new agent network in Tehran to replace the previous one rolled up by the Islamic revolution.

After three years of amateurish spying, Ed’s cover was blown. He fled for his life. On returning to the US, Ed called his CIA controller and was told, ‘there is no one here by that name, and we have no record of you.’ Another disaster was simply erased by throwing agents to the wolves. Penniless, Ed was reduced to begging money from friends and finally working as a shoe salesman. Compared to Wilson, he was lucky.

It is terrifying to see government’s massive weight crush an innocent man. Wilson became America’s ‘Man in the Iron Mask.’ Judge Hughes called the case ‘double-crossing a part-time, informal government agent.’ She aptly used the term ‘framed’ to qualify this disgusting legal outrage. High Justice Department officials involved in this crime are today serving judges. They, and the retired CIA official, should be prosecuted.

The Wilson case should remind us of all the US Justice Department’s recent and ongoing ‘terrorism’ prosecutions, where individuals, mostly foreign-born, poor, and uneducated ’ many of them Pakistanis - have had the book thrown at them and are threatened with life terms if they do not confess to crimes. While truth is the first victim of nationalist hysteria, justice is always the second.

In spite of Judge Hughes’ ruling, The government refuses to release Wilson and is now considering an appeal. Shame.

Posted by Eric Margolis on November 10, 2003 11:50 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First, Wheaton's story has Jenkins and several Cubans confessing to him their involvement in the JFK asssassination. Must of been like a big confessional. According to Wheaton, Jenkins was fairly high-up the food chain. Why on God's green earth would this guy confess to Wheaton? Let us assume you and I are friends. Do you think I'm going to confess to you that ten years earlier I murdered a man and got away with it? Even if you were my very best friend and I was sure you would not "rat on me", don't you think it reasonable that I would be concerned that the revelation that I was a murderer might strain our friendship?

You have constantly misrepresented the way Wheaton has provided information on the assassination of JFK. This is either because you have not read my postings on the subject or that you have read them but not understood them (from past history both of these theories are possible). Another possibility is that you have read and understood the postings but because they do not fit into your theory that “Castro” ordered the assassination of JFK you are pretending you are “intellectually challenged”.

I will briefly state the order of events so that you cannot claim ignorance.

(1) In 1986 Gene Wheaton gave information about CIA illegal activities to Daniel Sheehan. At this stage Wheaton gave no information on Carl Jenkins. In fact, at this time, Jenkins was also providing information to Sheehan. The main concern of Wheaton and Jenkins was to provide information about the illegal activities of Ted Shackley, Tom Clines, Richard Secord and Edwin Wilson.

(2) In 1986 Wheaton also provided information on Shackley and company to investigative journalists like Joel Bainerman. These journalists have made it clear that Wheaton did not seek money for this information. However, at this time he was unwilling to be named as a source.

(3) In 1988 Daniel Sheehan was in serious trouble. The courts were demanding that he named his sources. Eventually, Wheaton agreed to give evidence in court against the CIA. This took place in Florida in March, 1988. However, he did not make any accusations against Jenkins. Wheaton had not been employed directly by the CIA and so his evidence was dismissed as “hearsay”. Sheehan, or one of his friends, then leaked the name of Jenkins as being one of his major sources. This information appeared in the press. Jenkins then gave interviews claiming that he had met with Sheehan but he must have misunderstood his comments and had not accused CIA officials as being involved with illegal activities. As a result, Sheehan’s case was chucked out and he had to pay considerable damages to Shackley and his friends.

(4) In 1995 Wheaton contacted the Assassination Records Review Board claiming he had information about the involvement of the CIA in the assassination of JFK. The ARRB eventually arranged for its chief investigator, Anne Buttimer, to meet Wheaton. During their meeting Wheaton named Carl Jenkins and Chi Chi Quintero as being involved in the assassination. However, he was very reluctant to go on record as the man who named these CIA operatives. This is why Buttimer does not name Jenkins and Quintero in the report dated on 12th July, 1995. Jenkins can only be identified by his CV that Wheaton sent to the ARRB.

(5) Despite follow up letters by Wheaton, the ARRB failed to investigate if Jenkins was involved in the assassination of JFK. It seems that Wheaton now decided to drop the matter.

(6) In 2005 a researcher discovered Wheaton’s documents at the ARRB. These documents were brought to the attention of Larry Hancock. He arranged for William Law and Mark Sobel to interview Wheaton. It was during this filmed interview that Wheaton named Jenkins and Quintero. Further research of recently released documents indicated that Jenkins and Quintero might well have been involved in the assassination.

(7) Although Wheaton mentioned these names in this interview it is far from clear that he wanted to be seen as the man who named CIA operatives as being involved in the assassination of JFK. This has only become public knowledge because of the postings that have taken place on this Forum and on my website pages on Wheaton, Jenkins and Quintero. Jenkins and Quintero are now both aware of these accusations. So also are the CIA aware of this development. At the moment Jenkins or Quintero have not denied Wheaton’s claims. It will indeed be interesting to see what action these two men decide to take.