The Education Forum

Will We Ever Know?

Tim Gratz

These thoughts are from the Jefferson Morley interview.

He concluded his interview as follows:

I want to close by saying that public interest in Kennedy's assassination endures because the government has not yet provided a persuasive explanation of the crime nor released all of its records on the subject.

When we get all of the records of the CIA and other government agencies we will finally be able to agree on the truth.

Early in the interview he had this comment:

My take is that decisive clarification of the JFK assassination story resides in the government's hands, in those still-secret documents.

But shortly before his conclusion a caller had offered this troubling thought:

Enjoyed your article. I have more of a comment than a question. I too have a theory about this case, but it does not concern who did it; instead, my theory is that we will never be able to reach a consensus even if compelling evidence were to suddenly come to light. Too many of the principals and witnesses are dead, the chain of evidence has been wholly contaminated, beginning with the removal of the body to Air Force One, and too many people have posited too many divergent theories to which they have become wedded. I believe that this case has, in the public consciousness, descended to the realm of historical curiosity, now so mythologized that the truth (and the compelling desire to find it) has been effectively quashed by the passage of time. This is unfortunate, as it leads to one inescapable conclusion; it is possible to kill the President of the United States, in the most photographed murder in human history, and have that crime avoid prosecution.

Morley replied:

Jefferson Morley: I am not so pessimistic as you are but what you say may be true.

What do you think? Will we ever know for sure? Is the "final secret" in the yet-unreleased documents?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I want to close by saying that public interest in Kennedy's assassination endures because the government has not yet provided a persuasive explanation of the crime nor released all of its records on the subject.

When we get all of the records of the CIA and other government agencies we will finally be able to agree on the truth.

My take is that decisive clarification of the JFK assassination story resides in the government's hands, in those still-secret documents.

Enjoyed your article. I have more of a comment than a question. I too have a theory about this case, but it does not concern who did it; instead, my theory is that we will never be able to reach a consensus even if compelling evidence were to suddenly come to light. Too many of the principals and witnesses are dead, the chain of evidence has been wholly contaminated, beginning with the removal of the body to Air Force One, and too many people have posited too many divergent theories to which they have become wedded. I believe that this case has, in the public consciousness, descended to the realm of historical curiosity, now so mythologized that the truth (and the compelling desire to find it) has been effectively quashed by the passage of time. This is unfortunate, as it leads to one inescapable conclusion; it is possible to kill the President of the United States, in the most photographed murder in human history, and have that crime avoid prosecution.

Morley replied:

Jefferson Morley: I am not so pessimistic as you are but what you say may be true.

What do you think? Will we ever know for sure? Is the "final secret" in the yet-unreleased documents?

I doubt MOrley is correct re the documents. They will be so sanitized as to be virtually usless. Altho that they have been locked up for so very long does make one suspect they could be quite instructive as to the genesis of this murder.

I tend to agree more with the "caller". This case has been too tampered with. When you get an autopsy as bad as this, together with so many fake leads, so much time passing...it's hard to be optimistic that we will ever know the truth: at least as to who actually did it. For the sake of history I think it is more important that our history books are corrected to reflect that there is a raging controversey and that most Americans agree on who did not do it. Now the RFK assassination is the case I always thought could be solved. Sadly with the untimely death of Sirhans' attorney, Larry Teeter, I have far less hope that even a case as "clean" as this one can ever be solved either, tho we do have a good autopsy, a dr of high integrity and his expert opinion that the kill shot could not have come from Sirhan will forever stand.

Dawn

Morley replied:

"What do you think? Will we ever know for sure? Is the "final secret" in the yet-unreleased documents?"

First of all, there was a time when we were assured that 50 years following the date of the assassination, Jacqueline Kennedy would reveal all that she knew concerning the mechanizations involved in the death of her husband. I believe this would have set that date to fall around, 2013. Now, we've been informed that this date, along with a morphed version of whatever truths she may have intended to impart to the public [which have most likely been destroyed, as just about everything else has], which would have been made available and declassified at that time, has been changed. This date has been presently set for 2038. The newly chosen date would take me to the age of 93, should I be so lucky to live that long. Time enough for all the perpetrators to have been silenced by either natural or un-natural causes. Time enough for those of us who came of age on that day in 1963, to be dead and gone. Time enough for the "passage of time" to have all but obliterated the memory of JFK, and relegated his legacy to that of, what did the "caller" refer to it as, "the realm of historical curiosity"? A curiosity? How equally banal and sad that the fascists have been allowed to literally win, hands down. That the memories, along with the intellect of the American people, have been virtually usurped and replaced by nothing more than a cartoonish "reality" version of what now seemingly passes for real life, in real time. The sheeple have "voted in" their choices and those choices belong to them, alone. It is ironic to say the least, to be standing on the edge of forever, bearing witness to Western Civilization readying itself for the final throes of death. It should be equally interesting at best, to observe who'll be ringing in its death knell, and who will be set to emerge as the next world super-power.

I think this is silly:

'My take is that decisive clarification of the JFK assassination story resides in the government's hands, in those still-secret documents.'

We can't even get the truth about Bush's National Guard duty, based on government documents.

I think we already know as much of the truth as will ever be disclosed/